Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm an idiot and bought a whole bunch of moong dal - whole and split. All the recipes I'm finding say to use a pressure cooker to cook them, but I'm pretty sure I've at least cooked moong dal before the normal way. How do I cook them without a pressure cooker? I can't recall if I soaked them overnight or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

toe shoes posted:

Pressure cooker just speeds it all up. Soaking them and cooking them for a while is no dramas at all, you just need to watch it and be patient.

Do you know how long it takes regularly? I remember cooking dried black beans and it took hours and never really finished, versus lentils which take like 15 minutes.

I also stopped by an Indian market and picked up a ton of spices. They were really friendly there and made sure I didn't run off with the block of asafetida versus the powder.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
You guys may have convinced me to get one. I eat a lot of beans but at least a pressure cooker will allow me to start buying them dry instead of canned. The only downside is it's a new gadget in my kitchen that needs to find a home.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
How about substituting whole wheat flour for regular AP flour for parathas? I don't have any whole wheat flour right now :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Edit2: Cooked the drat dal anyways. Still have questions about ghee.

Edit: I also made some ghee about 3 months ago. It's been in the cabinet, do you think it's still good?

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 29, 2014

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
For some reason, I bought a bunch of tuvar dal. Does anyone have a recipe they can recommend? Everyone I see is pretty soupy, and I like my curries a bit thicker.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

dino. posted:

With tuvar daal, it's really not an option to do so, because the drat thing takes up so much water to make it work. What you can do is cook it through, strain it, and then go from there. If you don't mind the thing being a little ... al dente, go ahead and do the soak and steam thing, and see if you like it.

What ended up happening was that my pressure cooker freaked out and it turned into mashed tuvar daal :sigh:. I cooked it the same and it still tasted good.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

dino. posted:

Next time, put the tuvar daal in a bowl with enough water, then more water inside the pressure cooker. Then cook it up.

I haven't mastered the art of the pressure cooker yet - is it OK to be left with excess water? I figure you can just drain it, right? I need to pick up a pressure cooker with a whistle so I don't have to go and figure out the time equivalent for a pressure cooker with a rocker.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Yeah, I have the powdered kind in a plastic container that's in a ziplock bag and I can still smell it every time I open up the spice drawer.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
If we're still paying attention about jackfruit, when you cut it up make sure you're wearing crappy clothes and put lots of vegetable oil on your knife. It has some type of sap that's like glue and it gets everywhere. I got a quarter of a jackfruit at an HMart after I had some at a Vietnamese monastery. I waited too long and it tasted gross, though :( You can apparently do cool things with the seeds, too.

Jackfruit look like giant, not-so-smelly durian to me.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Edit: Nevermind, found some markets local to me that will probably sell them!

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 11, 2015

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Squashy Nipples posted:

We've got several fantastic Indian Markets on the South Shore (including this gem: http://www.yelp.com/biz/apna-bazar-norwood ), so there must be SOME in Boston. I just don't know where they are.

Also, MarketBasket tends to have a surprisingly good selection of things like curry leaves, fresh tumeric, etc etc.

I live in Malden and there's two there. One of them had fresh curry leaves (I think), and it was reasonably priced. That being said, I really don't like the taste and smell of curry leaves. It's really acrid to me and it ruined the flavor of everything I made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I was tempering them with all the other spices and I still felt like it overwhelmed everything, and I reduced the amount of leaves used. But I also think the recipe I used kind of sucked. And I also ran out of ghee a while ago, so I used vegetable oil and ghee is definitely the better way to go. Got some butter so I'm going to make some this weekend.

• Locked thread