Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Whoa... hell of an OP.

I cook a lot of Indian food, but it tends to be a very broad definition. This adds a huge amount of regional specificity to my knowledge. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

@Squashy: I'm glad you enjoyed the read. It was a lot of information to cover. Essentially, you shouldn't think of India in terms of a single country. The linguistic and cultural barriers present from state to state make India more like a miniature Europe than a single country with any overarching unity in it. The cultures and foods are vastly different.

Yup, I know it's a huge country... I've worked with many Indian folks over the years (first I was an engineer, and then in the out-sourcing business), and I've always loved taking them out to my favorite Indian places for lunch, because nothing is ever 100% "correct"! :)

Even if the chef is from the same region, there is always a lot of "Well, my mom does it this way", and "I've never really liked that style", and even "Why they hell does this X have Y in it? That's totally wrong!"

So yeah, I know that it's a big country with tons of subcultures, I was just happy to have some details to help fill in the picture a little. Previous to your post, I knew that Punjabi was north, and Hydrebadi is from the south, and that was about it.

ColdPie posted:

e: Holy crap you have a book? :aaa:

Yep, and it's a very good book, too. Only downside is the boutique publisher; I ordered mine off of Amazon, and it took almost 6 weeks to get delivered.

Hey Dino, have you considered using this OP and thread as the kernel of another book? A proper taxonomy of Indian food regionalisms would be a really interesting read! It probably wouldn't need that many recipes, either.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Shnooks posted:

Edit: Nevermind, found some markets local to me that will probably sell them!

We've got several fantastic Indian Markets on the South Shore (including this gem: http://www.yelp.com/biz/apna-bazar-norwood ), so there must be SOME in Boston. I just don't know where they are.

Also, MarketBasket tends to have a surprisingly good selection of things like curry leaves, fresh tumeric, etc etc.

• Locked thread