Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Keralans like black chickpeas in masala for breakfast with steamed rice cakes - kadala puttu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I soak chickpeas, I think they get That Consistency - sort of brittle-buttery - much more easily if they're soaked. Takes twenty seconds so I always do it if I can remember it.

The only way I've ever found to reduce gas from beans, apart from eating them all the time thus accustoming the stomach to it somehow, is to freeze the soaked beans and then boil. This was just an accident, and it was only once I've tried it. Mostly I just stay away from especially white beans (except cannellini) and it's not an issue.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

How long did you leave it to hang? Or did you put it under pressure, and if so, about how much?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Chickpeas cooked in red lentil daal. Why didn't I think of this before? I just added a drained, rinsed can of chickpeas to the lentils as they boiled. Also fresh turmeric instead of dried is nothing short of auspicious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A few balls of frozen spinach is awesome in channa daal.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It needs soaking unlike masoor daal unless you use a pressure cooker. It's much more substantial and requires longer cooking and stirring to thicken up unlike masoor daal which just mashes itself. I like very much to add a chopped tomato to my tadka when I make channa daal, also I add much more garlic and fresh coriander at the end. If you are not vegan, a pat of butter right at the end is delicious, especially if you also like me add some spinach to it. It's got a heavenly, nutty taste and I treat myself to it whenever I have the time, otherwise I'll usually go for masoor daal which is also delicious but much simpler to prepare.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's an incredible food for athletes. Gives a lot of energy released over a long time, and easy to eat when you're really just sick of food because it's so tasty.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

mcustic posted:

I got some Indian jaggery/ghur. What kind of sweet can I make with it? If possible, vegan.

Unni appam! Rice flour, jaggery, very ripe banana, cloves, ginger. Make a lumpy batter and deep-fry spoonfuls. So good.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

Can I have a good chana masala recipe?

I just make a standard masala with turmeric, cumin, ground coriander, onion, garlic and ginger. Green chilies to taste. The important thing is then to season with amchoor, dried mango powder, this is the crucial part of the recipe. No amchoor, no channa masala. I usually add some tomato pulp as well. Add cooked chickpeas to the masala as it simmers, get it pretty dry. Add a good pat of butter and a handful of chopped fresh coriander at the end. I like mine fiery hot, but you are pretty free to adjust this as you like.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Whole black urad daal are used for making stuff like daal makhani. Which is about as Northern as it gets and as such non-applicable to this thread.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

dino. posted:

If you've got a recipe for that poo poo, share it, because I'm not about to make a North Indian thread, because their stuff isn't food.

Soaked black urad daal, some kinda soaked beans like kidney beans or black eyed peas. Boil with a few slices of ginger until soft. Masala, or maybe rather tadka, from a couple good pinches cumin, toasted in oil, followed by a pinch hing, pinch methi seeds, plus as much of those pointy thin green chilies you like and garlic, couple tomatoes. Take most of the liquid off the beans and daal and reserve it for adjusting the consistency, mash it together with the tadka/masala a little and adjust with liquid, then simmer a while longer to let the flavours blend. Generous splash cream, generous lump of butter, and take off the heat. Stir in some Kashmiri chili powder if you like, and salt. Finish with a good pinch garam masala. I like mine in small servings with lots of atta chappatis to make up for the heavy, fatty daal.

Now tell me that ain't food, bitch :colbert:

(Daal makhani isn't personally my favourite Punjabi dish, that'd hands down be saag paneer, but it's a good winter dish if I can convince my Chinese wife to eat it, she's daal-averse.)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I can never get the sour balance juuust right, I think it needs to be made in huge pots or the amchoor just doesn't work correctly.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Naw. Just baking soda. Does the tea and tamarind tenderize them or is it more for the sake of flavour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

If I've got leftover basmati rice, either plain or cumin'd, I'll fry it up for a lunch or a snack with whatever I can scrounge and put in it, and I'll top the plate with a good spoonful of some blistering hot pickle.

• Locked thread