Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

Haulin' Ass, Gettin' Paid
TEN XXXTRA LARGE
Hey, just wanted to chime in and say that popping the mustard and cumin seeds is an amazing trick that I never would have thought of had I not seen your Indian cooking threads.

I'm trying to convert my diet to a mostly vegetable-based one as our factory-farmed meat here is expensive in more ways than one.

As such I've stocked up on beans, chickpeas, and the like. I really like learning about Indian cooking as it's the easiest and most delicious way to cook these foods. It's also nice to be able to take such simple ingredients and make something so delicious with spices and technique.

By the way, is yellow-colored mustard seed an acceptable substitute for black mustard? Yellow mustard is much easier to find around here and still seems to impart a rich flavor when popped.

I love to cook vegetables, and it's wonderful to see how versatile Cumin is as a spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

TEN XXXTRA LARGE

dino. posted:

Glad too see another enthusiast! Yes, yellow mustard seed will get you there. It won't be quite the same flavour, and the popping will take a little longer (as the yellow mustard seeds seem to be hardier), but it'll certainly get you there. If you can get black mustard seed at some point, just get a bag, and you'll notice the difference big time. Initially, however, stick with what you can find easily.

Essentially, your generic South Indian vegetable dish (from most of South India) is mustard seed, cumin seed, turmeric, asafoetida, curry leaves. The generic for Kerala is all of the above, plus grated coconut. XD It's really easy.

I'll have to pick up some turmeric, asafoetida and curry leaves next week then. I live in the Pacific Northwest in the USA so that kind of stuff is extremely difficult to find in the big chain supermarkets around here.

Luckily there's an Indian supermarket a block away from where I live. It's the only place I've been able to find Paneer so far so I give good odds.

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

TEN XXXTRA LARGE
Question about the spices. I went to the stores around my place to search for things like Curry leaves and Asafoetida. At the store where I found the Asafoetida the clerk referred to it as Hing powder.

Do you know what the Curry leaves might be called in the same language? A lot of the clerks don't speak much English and may not know the English words for the spices and herbs. I'm having trouble finding them and I think it may be because I don't know the word for them in their language.

Otherwise you were right about the spices. I can get a pound of Cumin seed for $5.00. The same amount would easily run $80.00 at the Rich White People store. Also do you know where Fenugreek might be used? It was sold like a staple herb in the stores I was in and I'm curious which cuisine it's used in.

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

TEN XXXTRA LARGE

Myopic posted:

Yes, seriously. Ignoring the rest of your suggestion, why cook a chicken breast for hours? It'd be done in minutes on the hob or in the oven. Slow cooking is for stuff that'd be a chewing marathon if cooked quickly.

Also dino. please make that thread.

I would like to point out that even in these situations a pressure cooker works just as well with the added benefit of the food being done in a reasonable amount of time. I'm not comfortable leaving anything electrical unattended while it's running so this is a valuable bonus for me.

I do have a solid recipe for Chicken Adobo that I'm not allowed to share that requires a slow cooker, but I've substituted a pressure cooker with no ill effects.

Slow cookers are useful for sauced foods that require reduction though.

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

TEN XXXTRA LARGE

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Why can't you share it? You're breaking my poor crockpot's heart.

Try searching for Filipino Chicken Adobo. Most of the recipes are fairly similar.

Back on topic, what is the recommended consistency for a good lentil daal? I make it in a pressure cooker and it's always of a consistency like freshly poured concrete. When I ordered some at the local Indian restaurant in town it was more of a soupy/stewey consistency. Would it be offensive to serve something that thick as daal?

Also what can I do with Fenugreek seeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

TEN XXXTRA LARGE

Fo3 posted:

in 6-7 min, and thought cooking lentils in the pressure cooker (when they take 20min or so on the stove), would cook them to nothing. Or, as the other person had, problems with control or consistency.

My consistency problem was less an issue with control and more of a question of what is good and proper. If I make something too thick in my pressure cooker I can add water. If it's too thin I can reduce it through boiling. I don't normally use it as a precision instrument for weeknight meals.

Hing smells delicious. Screw the haters.

• Locked thread