Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

dino. posted:

Whole urad daal requires longer soaking. It'll mess with the colour. While you're there, just use brown rice for the dosa, and the colour won't matter so much. For whole urad daal, a really tasty recipe is to make Soondal. Soak 2 cups of it overnight in cold water, then drain. Cook in a pressure cooker for 14 minutes. Drain well. Then, toss with the same spices as a sabzi (1 tsp mustard seed, 1 tsp cumin seed, curry leaves [OPTIONAL], asafoetida [OPTIONAL], and lots of grated coconut). Holy balls, it's so delicious.

You don't cook it with the curry leaves and spices? Seems like it wouldn't get a lot of flavour...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

for sale posted:

Uh nevermind, after entire minutes of research I guess the most effective method in the world is... a spoon with ridges. Mystery solved.

Take your fresh coconut and punch a hole through one of the eyes - one will be soft enough, use a skewer or something. I use the point of our candy thermometer when my husband isn't looking.

Drain/shake out the water.
Heat the oven to 400 and chuck your coconut in there.
Leave it in for 15-20 minutes or until you peek and see that the shell is cracked
Pull out, let cool and then pull apart. If the crack isn't all the way through, give it a good whack with your meat tenderizer, cast iron pan or something heavy.

The heat causes the shell to crack and also the meat inside to pull away from the shell, so it's super easy to get the meat off the shell halves/third/shards depending on how violent you are with it.

Then chuck those pieces in the food processor with the shredder disk, or grate for delicious fresh shredded coconut.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I have tried probably a half-dozen different recipes and even the ones touted to be "WOW SO MUCH LIKE RESTAURANT" still fell flat. I've made a couple passable chicken curries this way, but never been able to replicate Butter Chicken, restaurant style. I've come to terms with the idea that this might just be one of those things you need to get at an Indian joint.

• Locked thread