Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

Zeitgueist posted:

I also spent about 5 years in Long Beach and know many of the restaurants there as well, but it's not as good as scene.

I'd appreciate a few recommendations if you don't mind. I just moved downtown and the only thing I have to go on is the v room (which is the best) and some bougie bullshit in bixby knolls. I eat everything.

Related to LBC: I am going to go to Maruhide this weekend, get as much uni as I can afford, and eat it on the beach with rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

for sale posted:

I'd appreciate a few recommendations if you don't mind. I just moved downtown and the only thing I have to go on is the v room (which is the best) and some bougie bullshit in bixby knolls. I eat everything.

Related to LBC: I am going to go to Maruhide this weekend, get as much uni as I can afford, and eat it on the beach with rice.

Well like I said, Long Beach isn't great but one place I can give you is the Long Beach Thai Restaurant at the corner of 10th and Redondo. It's tucked away facing the McDonald's drive through, and it's the place where the tables are packed with Thai immigrants. It gets props from my thai friends and foodies alike, though it doesn't look like much from the outside(or inside).

Most of the "high-end" restaurants in downtown you should stay away from because they're not worth it. L'Opera is OK, but you can do better for the money, as well as 555 East. Parker's Lighthouse is OK as well, but mostly cool because they have a pack of cats that roams the perimeter of the restaurant. As far as pubs though, a lot of folks swear by Congregation.

If you're looking for a brunch place, there's way more choice in LB than WLA, especially in the Belmont Heights/Shore area. I'd give my vote to The Potholder. Standard brunch diner fair, but done pretty well and you get a huge selection and huge portions for your money. I haven't been to the downtown location, just the Belmont Shore one. I'd say do not go to Starlings Diner, which is hipster as hell, overpriced, and essentially exactly the place they were making fun of on the brunch episode of Portlandia. Including the massive line.

On 2nd Street, a lot of places have turned over in the past year and I don't know that I can give you something up to date on them. If you like french, La Creperie is still pretty good, even after the change in ownership, and while it tries a bit hard to be ~french~ it's one of my favorite places.

I think LB is gradually becoming a trendier place to eat, and in 5 years the list will be much longer. However right now, it's essentially like the club scene in Long Beach: If you were going to make something really neat, there's not a whole lot of reason you wouldn't just build your place in LA.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I like Congregation as a date place because of the Catholic kitsch and the fact that you can prolong a good date by walking down 4th to Berlin and the records store or the beach if things are going well.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There's a Sevilla in LB iirc. We have one here in Riverside and I think it's pretty good. It's no Jaleo or anything, but given the options I think it's worth it.

unrelated to LBC stuff: We omakase'd at Sushi Ichi in Pasadena. about $100 pp and was very good. Pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattmendoza/sets/72157633972075690/

uni by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GrAviTy84 posted:

There's a Sevilla in LB iirc. We have one here in Riverside and I think it's pretty good. It's no Jaleo or anything, but given the options I think it's worth it.

I've eaten at both, and they're OK as far as tapas goes, fun for socializing but not special as far as food. My opinion, at least.

Oh and I've seen it mentioned in here before, but Green Fields churrascaria is pretty great, especially money vs quality.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

As far as Culver City goes, one name I haven't seen come up in this thread is EK Valley, a Oaxacan(south mexican) restaurant that's great, small, and dirt cheap. It is fantastic.

Unfortunately I can't agree. I've worked down from EK since it was originally the Xotik kitchen. Food there wasn't anything to write home about both times I have been there. What do you get that is good? Have I misordered?

Only thing in that part of town for "foodies" is really Akasha. Maybe Public School but nothing too original there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zeitgueist posted:

I'm working in Culver City now, and I work with several foodies who are making it a goal to eat at almost any place worth eating at in the area(and that is a LOT of places), so I'm open to questions on Culver area restaurants.

Cafe Brasil on Venice Blvd, kind of like Versailles but much better and their apple tart dessert is awesome.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

GrAviTy84 posted:

unrelated to LBC stuff: We omakase'd at Sushi Ichi in Pasadena. about $100 pp and was very good. Pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattmendoza/sets/72157633972075690/

uni by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

You don't need to omakase to taste good uni. Here's a shot from Mori omakase (one of the apps):

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mandalay posted:

You don't need to omakase to taste good uni.

well, duh. Was just an example shot.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

sellouts posted:

Unfortunately I can't agree. I've worked down from EK since it was originally the Xotik kitchen. Food there wasn't anything to write home about both times I have been there. What do you get that is good? Have I misordered?

Only thing in that part of town for "foodies" is really Akasha. Maybe Public School but nothing too original there.

In all honesty, maybe we have different tastes? I an everyone who went there thought it was great, and we're not easily swayed. I've been to Akasha once, and it was terrible, but it was lunch. Public School tries very hard and it shows, and I don't mean that as a compliment. The food wasn't any better than, say, Father's Office.

It also depends on what you define as a foodie. We're not looking for the most expensive cutting edge places, and Akasha is pricey. We're going through and eating at most of the restaurants in the area. I've already eaten at just about every Indian and Thai places, and we're making our way through all the ramen places as well.

I'd recommend Brunello Trattoria as decent italian, though it's possible I've been on the West Coast long enough to have lowered my standards.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Well, I think Public School would be happy to be equated to Father's Office; the latter is way more expensive and nicer.

What about A-Frame? I think it's solid if you are already in the area. And your post hasn't indicated any visits to Sawtelle-land, which is one of my favorite places to eat in Los Angeles.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Mandalay posted:

Well, I think Public School would be happy to be equated to Father's Office; the latter is way more expensive and nicer.

What about A-Frame? I think it's solid if you are already in the area. And your post hasn't indicated any visits to Sawtelle-land, which is one of my favorite places to eat in Los Angeles.

I haven't been to A-Frame yet, though everyone says good things.

As far as the Farther's Office/Public School thing, I think they're pretty similar in pricing. FO has better beer, of course.

I've also been to Lukshon for DineLA, and I thought it was OK. Same chef as Father's.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Public School (area code) sucks.

Sawtelle smells amazing.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Casual Yogurt posted:

Sawtelle smells amazing.

So I've somehow managed to live my entire life without having ramen, fresh or instant, despite having gone through college.

With that in mind, we went to Tsujita over on Sawtelle and it's pretty amazing. We got there at 11:30 and there was already a line for lunch, and by the time we left the sidewalk was covered for half a block. The broth was delicious and the soft egg was done perfectly. They've apparently opened up a satellite restauarant across the street that serves slightly different stuff. Several of my coworkers are Japanese or have been to Japan recently and say that Tsujita compares pretty well to some of the best places in Tokyo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I went to Brunello when it opened and it was definitely not good but it might have just been finding its legs. What is good there that isn't super heavy for lunch?

Fathers office has a very good burger so any comparison to that is complementary. I don't know what else they serve because that's not the point of fathers office I don't think!

I really enjoyed the short rib and chicken tacos at public school, but the clientele wasn't helping it any. I've burned out everything in Culver City by working here for 7+ years so my barometer is off and anything that isnt the same poo poo tastes better I guess.

Also Tsujita is great. Worth finding business in Santa Monica to schlep down there for lunch.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

Also Tsujita is great. Worth finding business in Santa Monica to schlep down there for lunch.

The annex serves ramen all day. Original location still does ramen only for lunch.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

sellouts posted:

Fathers office has a very good burger so any comparison to that is complementary. I don't know what else they serve because that's not the point of fathers office I don't think!

I'd say that burger is good, but I'm not sure if it's enough to go there alone without their good beer selection.

Also I feel like I'm done eating for the day after I have it, it's heavy as hell.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Are there any good/cheap Chinese bakeries North/south of Westwood? I know there are a couple in Chinatown, but I'd rather not drive east on I-10 if I can help it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

RoyalScion posted:

Are there any good/cheap Chinese bakeries North/south of Westwood? I know there are a couple in Chinatown, but I'd rather not drive east on I-10 if I can help it.

There's not a lot of good Chinese eateries in West LA at all. It's oddly rare to see around here. Almost any other Asian regional food, but not Chinese.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

There's not a lot of good Chinese eateries in West LA at all. It's oddly rare to see around here. Almost any other Asian regional food, but not Chinese.

I'm willing to go pretty far up/down, I already drive to 99 Ranch in Van Nuys for groceries, I just can't really find anything regardless, which is unfortunate.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Proabition in Riverside is a whiskey bar with really great food. Its nice to actually have a decent place in Downtown Riverside thats actually open all week.

also 99 Ranch is spectacular, im sorry one isn't closer to you.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Politicalrancor posted:

Proabition in Riverside is a whiskey bar with really great food. Its nice to actually have a decent place in Downtown Riverside thats actually open all week.

also 99 Ranch is spectacular, im sorry one isn't closer to you.

Haven't been to proabition yet but I contacted the guy a few weeks before they opened and he came off as a total douchenozzle on the email response. Text only so it might not have been his intention, I admit, but he was hella snooty and full of himself the way I read it. Anyway, I do want to try it, and I love that they have a dress code to keep out the bros and bronettes.

I really like the Salted Pig. They do chalk board specials which are usually a lot more edgy and I don't think I've had a bad thing yet. They're opening a coffee shop on the same block in partnership with Augie's coffee from Redlands. I am so excite.

I'm so happy they opened a 99 Ranch in Rancho Cucamonga recently :getin:

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Haven't been to proabition yet but I contacted the guy a few weeks before they opened and he came off as a total douchenozzle on the email response. Text only so it might not have been his intention, I admit, but he was hella snooty and full of himself the way I read it. Anyway, I do want to try it, and I love that they have a dress code to keep out the bros and bronettes.

I really like the Salted Pig. They do chalk board specials which are usually a lot more edgy and I don't think I've had a bad thing yet. They're opening a coffee shop on the same block in partnership with Augie's coffee from Redlands. I am so excite.

I'm so happy they opened a 99 Ranch in Rancho Cucamonga recently :getin:

You got to stop by on a weekend night because they have pretty quality live entertainment. I like salted pig but they really need to work on their cocktails because yeesh, they are bad.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Politicalrancor posted:

I like salted pig but they really need to work on their cocktails because yeesh, they are bad.

Really? I quite like them. vOv. And the lots of house made bitters and infusions own. When was the last time you were there? They just launched a cocktail program a few months ago.

I saw a string of instructional vids for house signature cocktails that proabition posted a few weeks ago on fb and they were all pretty much the same drink. Agave, lime, liquor, and bubbles. Snoozefest.

Whatever they're both better than that lovely lounge 33 or whatever shithole. Place refused to stir my martini. Said bartenders "couldn't do that". What even.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 16, 2013

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
You all eat better than me, Im jealous. Last remarkable meal I had was a Maestros, which I found a bit better than Flemings (and gently caress Mortons). Everybody says Ruth Criss is the poo poo, but I have a problem with a place that relies on butter as a main part of their schtick.

Can somebody recommend OC joints for both ramen (no udon) and Mongolian BBQ? Mongolian BBQ has been tricky as my wife can't do MSG and most of the sauces at the places we have been too are MSG infused.

I'm also looking for another dim sum place, we go to Furiwa in GG, good but we'd like variety.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Really? I quite like them. vOv. And the lots of house made bitters and infusions own. When was the last time you were there? They just launched a cocktail program a few months ago.

I saw a string of instructional vids for house signature cocktails that proabition posted a few weeks ago on fb and they were all pretty much the same drink. Agave, lime, liquor, and bubbles. Snoozefest.

Whatever they're both better than that lovely lounge 33 or whatever shithole. Place refused to stir my martini. Said bartenders "couldn't do that". What even.

probably because they only pour 2 ounces but shake it to 3.

As for proabition, try the Brown Derby, its terrific.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
For ramen, Santouka, Shinsegumi, and Yamadaya.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

CrushedWill posted:

You all eat better than me, Im jealous. Last remarkable meal I had was a Maestros, which I found a bit better than Flemings (and gently caress Mortons). Everybody says Ruth Criss is the poo poo, but I have a problem with a place that relies on butter as a main part of their schtick.

My GF took me to Ruths Chris for my birthday,and it was pretty good, though of course pricey. They're consistent, if you're looking for a steak and standard steakhouse sides.

quote:

Can somebody recommend OC joints for both ramen (no udon) and Mongolian BBQ? Mongolian BBQ has been tricky as my wife can't do MSG and most of the sauces at the places we have been too are MSG infused.

All the good ramen places seem to be in West LA.

quote:

I'm also looking for another dim sum place, we go to Furiwa in GG, good but we'd like variety.

I liked Royal Garden at Pioneer and South in Cerritos.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Mandalay posted:

For ramen, Santouka, Shinsegumi, and Yamadaya.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will give one of them a spin. After living near Sawtelle, I didn't realize how much I would miss decent ramen.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

I liked Royal Garden at Pioneer and South in Cerritos.

Thanks, we will keep this in mind the next time dim sum is on the menu :)

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Trip report:

I was in Little Tokyo so I managed to snag dinner at Daikokuya. It was considered the place to go for ramen before the west side blew up, and still has 4 stars on Yelp with over 4000 reviews, which is nuts.

I had the ramen, my gf had the dipping noodles. Both had really good broth, and the egg topping was cooked near perfectly as well. The tsukumen was a bit tastier.

I'd still have to go with Tsujita and Yamadaya being better, but they're not really options downtown.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
There is a Hakata Ramen Shinsegumi downtown, however.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Casual Yogurt posted:

Sawtelle smells amazing.

Bless Tempora House and the elderly couple who run it!
It's only open till ~3 but you'll have to be there around noon to actually get tempora or katsu.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Mandalay posted:

There is a Hakata Ramen Shinsegumi downtown, however.

The one also has something called the GCB (Green Chili Bomb) which makes everything absolutely delicious.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I'm late to the Culver City talk, but if you can get away from downtown Culver City, there's some good stuff.

Bawarchi: good fast Indian food with some odd Mexican food influences thrown in. The jalapeņo dish is awesome.
Tub's chili: Delicious chili, no frills.
India Sweets and Spices: Used to be incredible, but I think it changed owners. Now it's just really good.

I'll also second Cafe Brasil.

In downtown, Ford's Filling Station is good but probably not worth the price. If your office is paying, then awesome. And Tender Greens is still great, but I guess they're everywhere now, so that's not interesting anymore. Most of the places downtown have good happy hour deals as well.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
My favorite ramen joint is Foo Foo Tei in Hacienda Heights. They have a huge selection of ramen bowls and side dishes. I've literally never had something bad there. I first heard of it through the blog of a guy who ate at basically every ramen joint he could find in SoCal and eventually left his cushy programming job to become a ramen chef in Japan. He rated Foo Foo Tei as the best ramen in SoCal. You may be out of luck if you are looking for a real pork bone based ramen, since they don't use pork bones in their soup base, but their most popular bowl is actually a pretty drat good approximation of a tonkotsu soup and all of their other soup bases are excellent. They are also extremely generous with toppings and portion sizes :btroll:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/foo-foo-tei-hacienda-heights
http://www.goramen.com/2008/11/foo-foo-challenge-recap.html

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 29, 2013

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Jonathan Gold's top 101 restaurants in LA is out.

http://ballots.latimes.com/lists/101-best-restaurants-jonathan-gold-2013/

A lot of the top is predictably money-is-no-object-dine-with-celebrity places, but there are many, many good choices at two $$ or less. I've only been to a fraction of this list.

edit:

This is like a month or two old, I just got around to reading it.....

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 9, 2013

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

So there are plans to go eat at Fogo de Chao later this week. I've heard a few comments about the place here, but what should I be expecting there?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A chain steakhouse that you can get anywhere.

Expect a meat coma. Enjoy the salad bar if you can as it's surprisingly varied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

pandaK posted:

So there are plans to go eat at Fogo de Chao later this week. I've heard a few comments about the place here, but what should I be expecting there?

About a hundred bucks with drinks. But you're definitely getting higher quality meat than other churrascarias

• Locked thread