Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Since the end of the last LP I've started the first year of my PhD in oceanography. :3: I've only really taken classes about plankton so far, so I'm looking forward to seeing all the macroscopic fish touchin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Cutesy Southern girl who works in the ocean? Can't unhear her voice as Sandy.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I completely agree. There's way too much Cisjardered thinking going on in this thread. Everyone needs to take a moment and check their vessel privilege.

The Bible says Adam and Eve, not Amphora and Canteen. :colbert:

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Monkfish is really that good? Guess I'll have to give it a shot next time. Eating sea urchin still kinda weirds me out for some reason. I recently got the opportunity to try skate for the first time, then felt bad about how delicious it was when I learned that a lot of skates are unsustainably fished. :(

I got to work at my department's touch tank exhibit for Rutgers Day yesterday! We had horseshoe crabs, fiddler crabs, green sea urchins, whelks, lady crabs, and spider crabs. It was a lot of fun handling them all, but making sure the little kids crowding around and grabbing at them didn't stress them out too much was a challenge. I made sure all the little kids still got to touch all the sea creatures they wanted, though. :3:

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Her new haircut makes her look like Ma-Ti.

Seriously.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

tlarn posted:

:stare: Pelican eels look like something out of a videogame, I swear I've seen something like them before.

Pretty sure it's the inspiration for the Pokemon Huntail.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

gschmidl posted:

It's not giant, but

but it's still adorable!

I'm kinda surprised we don't have at least one person studying turtles in my department, but as far as I know the only charismatic macrofauna people work on here is fish. I wish I got to learn more about turtles from the people here...

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

tlarn posted:

I just want one episode where Captain Planet doesn't receive or manages to lose Heart and becomes a vengeful nature god; it would finally cut the crap with him doing all this poo poo for the sake of nature. Maybe he'd duke it out with Gaia, even! Two avatars of nature fighting for the earth.

As long as the remaining Planeteers are still there blithely cheering Cap on like the oblivious little vigilantes they are. "You can do it, Captain Planet! Punish the humans for their hubris!"

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

We're gonna have that million pelagos in no time with royalties from selling this miracle cure!

...Right? :downs:

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Sea dirt is actually pretty neat! One reason it's mainly silica and continental dust is that as particles sink to the bottom of the ocean, any and every possible bit of them that can be considered nutritious to some sort of life is eaten along the way (unless you've got a very high deposition area like a river mouth). Even after the particles hit the seabed, benthic organisms (things that live at or below the ocean floor) still try to eat them, then down below those critters are countless different species of bacteria, relying on less energy efficient and more arcane methods of creating energy from whatever's left behind. I believe we've found chemosynthetic bacteria (bacteria that rely on chemical reactions for sustenance as opposed to sunlight or eating other things) down over a kilometer into the sea floor!

In addition, where the silica comes from in the first place is the shells of plankton such as diatoms.

They take in dissolved silica in the water, make shells out of it, and then once the plankton dies the shells sink (and are not typically consumed on their own). The other main type of shell, created by plankton such as coccolithophores, is made of calcium carbonate, but in general calcium carbonate is found only in the deepest ocean sediment because ocean water (particularly in the Pacific) is too acidic, so the shells tend to dissolve before they're sedimented. It's possible that the gradually increasing acidity of the ocean is putting pressure on the organisms that create calcium carbonate shells to keep their shells structurally sound, and we think this is part of what's causing large coral die-offs as well. Ocean acidification is a problem!

Edit: achillesforever6 we had the same idea! I'm currently working on a Master's in oceanography. :3:

Rose Spirit fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 6, 2014

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Did y'all hear about this one? We may have discovered a completely new branch of life in the sea.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

My department recently hosted as a special guest speaker Marc Mangel, Australia's expert witness in the IWC Australia vs. Japan whaling case.

To win, Australia needed to demonstrate to the International Court of Justice not that Japan's whale science program was bad, but entirely non-existent. They were taking hundreds of whales out of the ocean and basically doing nothing that could in any way be called "research" with the animals. In some ways, as Japan tried desperately to justify its practices, the case was ultimately about the definition of science itself.

A bit more background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqFoHhV2ARI

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Pretty much.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

As someone from California who knows SF pretty well, I will be unable to think of Coit Tower as anything other than a giant sprinkler ever again.

Eta: I would also like to request a gif of the fireworks rave inferno

Rose Spirit fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 8, 2015

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Obviously Turkey in the Straw is better, since it's what all the ice cream trucks near me play. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

I began and completed my Master's degree in oceanography over the course of this LP. It was way more entertaining than any of my classes, though. :v:

Thanks so much for all the effort put into this LP, it was a great ride!

• Locked thread