Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
And also I'm here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

catdynamite posted:

What is the knife on Oceana's leg used for?

It's a dive knife. It's standard equipment for divers. Getting tangled in line or the dreaded kelp can be a decidedly bad thing.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The fish seem bigger in this game compared to the first one. I know you guys mentioned that everything in EO1 was much smaller than it should be, but they seem to have gotten the scale about right here. The whales still seemed a bit small but not as bad as the first game.

The models in general just look better. This is especially evident if you remember the Great Whites from EO1.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

You touched a nudibranch and didn't say a drat word about it you vertebrate-loving scum! :argh:

There are at least ten nudibranchs in this game and we did a long segment on them in EO1. If we do all of the segments in the first update update 12 is gonna be boring as hell.

Mollusk love is comin'. Crustaceans and echinoderms, too!

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Like I said in the video, zapping is just basically long-distance bellyrubs. Bellyrub all the dolphins you want. Hell, bellyrub some coral or that rusty old anchor.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Who draws the characters on Kisamayatsu's let's play page? :3:

It's me, I draw all the little pictures around our page. I also draw all the title images in this thread and the things in the OP

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Electromagnets.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Jesus christ, I expect this from the Pokémon thread. Not you, Endless Ocean thread.

gently caress.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Phy posted:

Because it's nasty or because the thread hasn't had the chance to weigh in on dolphins yet?

I understand that Tursiops in particular are a bunch of curious, friendly, brilliant mammals with some absolutely disgusting habits, and I think that needs to be brought up at some point when the thread is ready for it. Unless it got mentioned in the first LP. Which it probably did.

A dude asking how to jack off a dolphin is not the same as dolphins being brilliant, terrible assholes. Jesus christ.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

To everyone asking if we are going to cover so-and-so creature, etc. Trust me, me and Zorak and to cover as much as we can. As much as you are excited this thread is happening me and Zorak are twenty times that I guarantee. There's so many things planned segment wise and we're only two updates in. Trust me, things are coming, including segments on the things not actually in the game. (Like I did last thread.)

Semper piscis.

Zagglezig posted:

So is that a realistic size for the egg they showed off? Seemed pretty hefty and I've only seen footage of the leathery pouch style eggs and those looked 5-6 inches.

Here's the egg of a Horn Shark (Heterodontus francisci). A similar sized, relative of the Japanese Bullhead that's found off of California.

To correct Zorak (from an answer I helped give after misunderstanding the question), the egg cases of Japanese Bullhead sharks have upwards of fifteen eggs within it.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Rogue 7 posted:

Is this one of those cases where the shark(s) that hatch first inside then devour all the others so only one emerges from the big pouch, or am I misremembering something from my youth?

No, that's a thing that occurs in live-birth giving sharks like the Sand Tiger Shark (Carcharias taurus). I'm honestly not sure if intrauterine cannibalism occurs in any other sharks to be honest.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Nope, Celtic Woman is the actual soundtrack and actually in the game. It works really well in places.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So I'm guessing you guys missed the part where Pigface actually had a contract with the US government to collect wild horses, not with Chief Sweater Vest, who was still just considering a contract of his own.

We were a little more focused on the repeated blatant murder attempts and possible threat of rape/mutilation, yeah.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Rirse posted:

So glad to see the Captain Planet segments return. Hopefully one of the videos you guys do has Duke Nukem in it.

Also I noticed Red been uploadiing videos from the streams you guys been doing lately, but how come some of it is out of order. Like the 80s commercials starting at the eight volume, or Super Mario Advance on the third world.

I load random raw files and cut things out. In the case of the mario one that was just a random clip I uploaded. But that's neither here nor there.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

:siren: We are doing our biweekly stream! http://www.livestream.com/chorotv :siren:

Zorak's out right now but whatever. Master Quest for now, standard "old tv and commercials" later. Maybe some fish stuff, who knows.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

This episode exists because Zorak thought the second one would be too long with this. He's not entirely wrong. The next episode has a lot more fish, including a bunch we've never seen before!

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

In my mind it's a very faked accent and she's actually German.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Yep. We also don't tend to use common dolphins as performers, etc. But it's the common dolphins that the Greeks, etc. painted in their murals.

Here's even the trivia entry on the Common Dolphin from the game:

[The true dolphin]
"When people think of dolphins, they usually think of the bottlenose dolphin. But, as its name suggests, the common dolphin is the real representative dolphin—the dolphin amongst dolphins."

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

What, your home base is called "Nineball Island" and not a single Cirno joke?

This thread is bakas!

No, see, we have self control and don't have to reference everything we enjoy in everything we do Dracula withstanding.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Is it so hard to believe that someone would endeavor to get as far away from the South as physically possible?

As someone who has lived in the South for the past 20 years I will say maybe. :colbert:

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Hazo posted:

Look, some of us down here work to protect the fauna so at least the rest of you can get seafood.

Although I have no excuses for Florida. You'll have to talk to Choro about that.

I'm in Miami, Miami is like a weird bubble of what-the-christ. I'm also not here by my own volition. So anything I say about it does not apply to the South as a whole.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Pew! Pew! posted:

Do they ever explain in-game why this island is called Nineball or is that just left for the player to interpret on their own?

Aside from the giant text that explains why it is called Nineball Island or . . . ?

Zagglezig posted:

I can give one if you really want, assuming our hosts aren't actually going to talk about it, themselves. I feel safe with Captain Planet topics, but I'd prefer to err on caution with game features.

By all means, tell us the history of the hammock.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

So are Sailfish different from Swordfish? Or are they the same? Because you said that Sailfish have little commercial value, but Swordfish are eaten.

Sailfish are different! Sailfish are in the genus Istiophorus along with the Marlins. Swordfish are in the genus Xiphias. They're similar looking when you look at them, but their body types are almost completely different: Sailfish are long and slender, Swordfish are more stout-bodied and rounded.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

If you take fish that are under reg's, law enforcement will take them. You don't get to go "welp, didn't know. Gonna take my fish home, sorry!" Nope. The fish are evidence and are going to be confiscated.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Crasscrab posted:

Does the fish go into an evidence locker or what? :v: Is there a big refrigerated room with a bunch of dead fish?

Yes. Exactly that.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Speaking of fish with long protrusions off of their face!

This showed up on our docks one day. I can only assume either a gull dropped this ballyhoo (Hemiramphus brasiliensis) or it stupidly landed on the dock while fleeing something else. Ballyhoo aren't billfish, but halfbeaks. See if you can figure out why.

:eng101: The name ballyhoo comes from the native Brazilian Tupí–Guaraní term "b'ayi hyo" meaning "penis fish"

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

FinalGamer posted:

Wait PERMANENT numbness? As in, they touch your leg and it's hosed and never works again?!

:stare: That...wh-what does it DO? Does it rot the nerves in you with its poison or something??? :gonk:

Its just numbness, not paralysis.

As for what they do, there is a reason it is called the Bobbit worm. I'll leave it as an exercise to you to figure out why. Note: It helps if you remember the early 90s.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

sincx posted:

We need to build small, autonomous submarines that systematically go through the oceans and get rid of these things.

Good job missing the entire message this thread tries to put out.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Anoia posted:

Though that reminds me, since they're being a bit more realistic with air and species locations, does that means there's no deep sea fish in this game? :ohdear:

If you recall, the marine encyclopedia has a section called "Deep-Sea Life."

I'll leave that out there~

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

I was re-watching the last update, and holy crap the fish they touch before the Sturgeon has the scientific name "fish fish".

Why?

"Anthias" is an old name that refers to a large fish of unknown identity. The best guess is it refers to the Gilt-head Breem (Sparus aurata). So currently it's just "a fish a fish". It's a quirk of how Linnaeus named things. In the upcoming episode a fish's genus is the ancient name for the specific fish. You'll see how that goes.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

To make things even more confusing, some people call the fish "dorado" because it looks kinda gold-ish.

The best part is there are at least three fish in the Amazon called the Dorado. We'll meet one of them later!

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Mr. Vile posted:

The name echidna ("spiny one") was already taken by a genus of moray eels, and so the name was changed to Tachyglossus ("swift-tongued"). In both cases the old name stuck as the common name, presumably because it's shorter and catchier.

Another fun fact! The name Echidna is much more fitting for the serpentine-formed moray! Echidna comes from the Greek ekhidna for "Viper". The word for "Spiny" is ekhinos and also was used for sea urchins and hedgehogs. It's also part of the word Echinoderm (Spiny skin).

Always double check your classical language before naming in it!

On that note: The Yellowfin Tuna's binomial is Thunnus albacares. Why not the Albacore tuna (Thunnus alalung)? When Pierre Joseph Bonnaterre named both species in 1788 he had his specimens mixed up. The name was the first one given so it stuck. Oops.

There are a lot of weird quirks with binomials sometimes.

Aw yeah, bringing it back to fish relevance.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

McDragon posted:

Um, and I've heard that at least in a linguistics context, octopuses is a perfectly acceptable plural for octopus. Actually, there seems to not be much of a consensus there. Maybe in a science way it's different?

Octopuses is the most commonly used way in both the US and UK. Octopodes comes from the the root-form of the word being Greek. While Octopi comes from the misapprehension that Octopus is Latin. Either way, all three are listed in the OED, and when you get down to it? Who cares? Common usage kind of trumps all. Call them whatever the hell you want. I personally just use the singular as both that and plural.

In short, Octopus are so good at camouflage that they've hidden how to properly pluralize their name.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Crasscrab posted:

Loo is pretty English.

Except it comes from French! The English language is a horrific amalgam of loanwords and corruptions. We are kind of getting way, way off topic now, though.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You wanted it, you got it. Had to make it postcard sized to upload, though.

And man, the guest voice actors in this episode sucked far more than usual.

:allears:

I hope everyone caught that this is the second episode in a row where Captain Planet just makes a perfectly flawless cage out of something!!!

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

In the 20th century, there were three fatal wolf attacks in the United States. Two of them were both children and due to the wolves being kept as pets. The third sounds like complete bullshit involving a man finding his brother's bones in a "wolf-den".

Have a terrible Anti-wolf site with both made-up bullshit and terrible "proof":

http://www.prosts.com/Article-Wolf-Attacks.htm

Notice all of the dates on the articles. Notice they all involve grown men. Several involve wolves "erupting from dens" and one is an Ohio newspaper in 1916 reporting on a supposed happening in Seoul, South Korea. None of the actual attacks in the US can be found in public records as being fatal.

Wolf attacks happen, they do, but they are few and very far between. Compare to the six fatal Cougar attacks that happened in the 1990s alone. As humans encroach on the wild, attacks will happen but they're still not commonplace.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 25, 2012

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Don't Polar Bears think humans are delicious? I was told that at Sea World by a keeper.

No. No they don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpA_A8gigYQ

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Watching old eps of your first Endless Ocean LP, and the way you guys are talking about Monkfish, it seems like monkfish is rarer where you live. We stock monkfish in my seafood department almost daily.

They're far more common up north than they are here in Florida. Pretty much everyone I work with who was up north has Monkfish stories though. When I said I would eat a monkfish, I would. They're very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Jeek posted:

While we are talking about sharks and eating endangered species, is there a place I can confess about all the shark fin soup I ate over the years as a dumbass out of stupid tradition? :cripes:

Shark fin is one of the more unfortunate things we do with the ocean. If you would like to elaborate, that's a good post-Captain Planet thing! Spread the knowledge, yo.

• Locked thread