Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
When I was 11 I would take the CTA (public transit) bus home from school, and usually listen to music on this horrible tape recorder I had "borrowed" from my mother's office. One day, while listening to Pink Floyd (at low volume because no headphones), this girl from a Catholic school was doing her homework, and I decided that with her stupid uniform and her stupid braids and her stupid books she obviously just loving LOVED school and this just COULD NOT STAND, so I played the "We don't need no education" bit over and over and over again while staring daggers at her, feeling righteous in my bit of rebellion against THE MAN as embodied before me.

When I was 8 or 9 and we were going over Greek myths I insisted that everyone call me Eris because I liked the idea of being the goddess of strife. If people didn't get it I would just roll my eyes at them and call them names - names pulled from a loving thesaurus because I wanted to come up with better things to call people than just dumb.

We had an original Apple ][ and my dad wanted me to learn to program on it, and at some point we wound up getting a modem etc. I spent a year writing my own BBS software complete with message boards and chat features and stuff like that (really badly implemented, but they were there) and then set about populating it with various people and messages so that when real users would connect they would have something to read and think it was popular. Nobody but my dad ever logged into it.

When asked about my hobbies on a date once, I launched into an excruciatingly detailed explanation of what multi-boxing is and how it works in various MMOs. After about 5 minutes of my rambling my date said he had no idea what the gently caress I was on about, but I seemed passionate so he let me roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
When I was a wee slip of a thing I was very into Star Wars, and most everything I got as gifts was Star Wars relates. One year I got a large Boba Fett doll that had a viewport in his head so you could look through his eyes and he had some beads on a string that went around his shoulder.

The day I got him I was playing with him all over the house - I ran around introducing him to all my other dolls, to the cat to the dog, to the people in the house. Boba Fett was my baby.

The next day, I woke up and immediately ran to get Boba Fett out and..

Boba Fett's beads were missing!.

I completely lost my poo poo. I started SCREAMING my head off - I mean screaming in the way I had been taught to if someone tried to touch me in my bathing suit area. It was like 5 in the morning and so this woke up everyone in the house. I started running around the house, frantic, screaming "Boba Fett's beads are missing!" over and over while looking for them. I don't even know what the hell the beads were supposed to be or why he needed them, but I felt like the worst bounty hunter mommy in the universe, and kept intermixing apologies to him for my failing.

This went on for about an hour - it was an honest to god panic attack - and everyone started to help me look just to shut me up. We finally found them sitting on the kitchen counter by the cat's food dish and I tearfully thanked everyone for helping me look and brought the beads back to Boba Fett, cradling him in my arms and apologizing for losing his beads.

To this day, every once in a while, any time I start to feel like I may not be completely uncool, this gets brought up by my family. My step-mother still will just randomly tell me "Boba Fett's beads are missing!"

• Locked thread