Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Any goon run public persistent servers any more?
I miss Chenerus Overpoch. :(

edit: besides the armagoons stuff

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Gabrielite posted:

It does not far as I know and I swear it used to say so on the page but I can't find any reference to it.

Yeah it's one of the things I wish he'd do if it's even possible. He doesn't seem to communicate much in the steam discussions.

Seems it changed at some point possibly even back in 2017. News to me.

Maybe for your situation then, when you start the mission on your server, are you logging in as an admin?

Got it working with the help of the cool folks in the Armagoons Discord. I was digging through the workshop folder in my Steam install and converting the .bin file in there to a .pbo, which the game probably didn't like. I downloaded the files directly with the Steam Workshop Downloader and the missions boot up correctly now after just plunking them into the mpmissions folder. We'll see how it goes with a real game in a few minutes when my pals are ready.

mbrdmn
Jun 10, 2006
crow's got the soul
Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

Got it working with the help of the cool folks in the Armagoons Discord. I was digging through the workshop folder in my Steam install and converting the .bin file in there to a .pbo, which the game probably didn't like. I downloaded the files directly with the Steam Workshop Downloader and the missions boot up correctly now after just plunking them into the mpmissions folder. We'll see how it goes with a real game in a few minutes when my pals are ready.

Hey, I'm the DRO dev - glad to hear you got it working - at this point the main issues people report have gotten beyond my very limited ability to fix, especially when it comes to dedicated servers so I've kinda stepped back. I do have a patch that I tinker with occasionally though and I'll try and get it out one of these days.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Seemed to work perfectly for us with no obvious weirdness other than some missing file or picture errors in the beginning. We only ever have enough for a fireteam so an i3 4330 provisioned with 4GB of memory seems to be enough. The only mod we run is ASR_AI3 so it's not like the system is getting taxed that much.

mbrdmn posted:

Hey, I'm the DRO dev - glad to hear you got it working - at this point the main issues people report have gotten beyond my very limited ability to fix, especially when it comes to dedicated servers so I've kinda stepped back. I do have a patch that I tinker with occasionally though and I'll try and get it out one of these days.

Thanks a lot for making the DRO missions, it's pretty much all we play after finishing the Apex campaign because it does such a clean job of generating similar kinds of small-scale co-op missions. Yesterday it reminded me of why Arma is so fun because I was busy with a PvP guild fight in a gacha game; I could sit back and do fire support from a mortar emplacement while my buddies went off and did the actual mission. I don't have to play as a tier one shootman, I can just sit back and lob shells when the recon team is pinned down.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah DRO came the closest to making Arma into the game I wanted without having to futz with an editor. Actually fulfilled some of the promise I saw in Arma 2's mission generator. Big thank you from me for making DRO, it easily gave me an extra six months of amusement from an often frustrating game.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

mbrdmn posted:

Cool and thanks, DRO is our go to and some friends picked up arma recently just to play it with us

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

When switching over to combined arms mode in DRO, is it possible to spawn with a plane so one of us can do CAS? I wanna be the guy who loiters around until the boys on the ground run into some armor and paint it for a GBU. I bet if feels so satisfying from both points of view, and I want to dust off my flightstick. The closest I can get is forcing a UCAV support and spawning with an ammo truck near an airfield so it has a place to rearm after using up all of its ATGMs, but I wanna get my BRRRRRRRRRT on.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
The simplest method in my opinion, is just becoming Zeus and spawning one. If you are the host/admin, I find MCC4 or SSPCM (note despite the name it does actually work in MP as well) to be the quickest tools for that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Gabrielite posted:

The simplest method in my opinion, is just becoming Zeus and spawning one. If you are the host/admin, I find MCC4 or SSPCM (note despite the name it does actually work in MP as well) to be the quickest tools for that.

Thanks, I can't open the Zeus menu but SSPCM seems to work for just directly spawning in a jet. Unfortunately the bigger issue is that target locking doesn't seem to work for anyone but the host in DRO. For some reason I was the only person who could lock on to things with guided weapons when I was hosting locally, and I can't even do that now after switching to a dedicated server. Locking on works fine in other multiplayer missions, so it seems to be something in DRO.

Seems like other people were reporting the same issue earlier this year. Hopefully it's an easy fix, I guess I can try poking around in the pbos to see what's up.

Edit: Targeting works properly in the discontinued Dynamic Combat Ops missions, so something that was changed in DRO after DCO stopped being updated seems to be the most likely culprit.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 11, 2020

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
lmao at the "2.0" announcement - "Uh yeah we put in a shooting gallery. And there are some new skins? Anyway, have fun!"

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Lol it’s a 7 year old dead game that tried to sell fan-made mods for real money.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
I mean, while they did technically skip v1.99 we were already at v1.98 anyway.

They gave us dedicated 64 bit linux servers and an optimization update. I don't know what people are expecting at this point. :shrug: People are dumb.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
so what 2.0 really brings to the table is "3rd person cam enabled in vehicles only" setting that I've had turned on in my server setting now actually works :woop:

on the topic of hosting a server for this game: this is the most jank shitstack I've ever set up, like I thought you couldn't get more jank than the Killing Floor 2 server but I was sorely mistaken. I love it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Everything around Arma is a jank shitstack. The server still segfaults on shutdown, you have to put mods on a file system that is case insensitive (thank gently caress for xfs with version=ci), it dumps a crapton of errors on stdout even on a vanilla start, no sysv or systemd service files exist, you have to mkdir -p ~/.local/share/Arma - Other Profiles/ yourself because the server won't and will break in mysterious way if you don't…

The modding side is even worse, their workflows are just garbage. Basically nothing can be automated in any real way. Some mad people have written linters for their garbage scripting language, but they are all incomplete. There's typing but not really (?!?), you have to implement multiplayer synchronisation primitives yourself, the debugging experience is much worse than with javascript without dev tools.

2.0 does bring sharing compositions, which is kind of nice, and a fairly large improvement in server performance with a lot of AI. My old Phenom II never dips below 30 fps despite >150 active units, and I can finally remove all i386 packets…

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
FASTER or FAST2 make setting up servers a lot less painful.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Started playing on an A2 DayZ Epoch server (2.59.135.79:2302)
https://genesis-epoch.com/index.php
Has a faction system (hero or bad guy) with increasingly decent stuff.

Active as all hell. At the moment I am looking at the launcher on a Saturday morning, and it is 38/55.
I have forgotten SO much about how to play this game.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 17, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Switched to Dynamic Combat Ops for today's game and flying CAS in bigger combined arms battles is awesome. I think I've got the hang of things in the F/A-181 and it feels just as great as I was expecting for my friends on the ground calling for air support and tearing things up for them.

I need to get better at avoiding attacks from SAMs in the Wipeout, since I'm finally able to consistently do strafing runs and I wanna see how much better the 30mm cannon is. After getting used to the Black Wasp II it feels like a boat in comparison, but it's very possible that's just due to how much ordinance I load it with.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

It could just be my mods being messed, but has anyone else noticed that since the 2.0 patch the game takes way longer to start?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It could just be my mods being messed, but has anyone else noticed that since the 2.0 patch the game takes way longer to start?

I cannot remember a time when arma DIDNT take a long time to boot.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Hasselblad posted:

I cannot remember a time when arma DIDNT take a long time to boot.

Oh yeah, it always took forever. But its definitely worse now, probably double the length. Loading missions and stuff once the game has launched is fine but that initial start is pretty rough.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I haven't noticed a difference when just booting up the game but the first time we connected to the 64-bit server it took long enough that we thought something was frozen and we switched back to the 32-bit binary for that game. I tested it out afterwards by letting it sit a while and it finally connected, and it seems to not take as long on subsequent logins.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Coxswain Balls posted:

Unfortunately the bigger issue is that target locking doesn't seem to work for anyone but the host in DRO. For some reason I was the only person who could lock on to things with guided weapons when I was hosting locally, and I can't even do that now after switching to a dedicated server. Locking on works fine in other multiplayer missions, so it seems to be something in DRO.

Edit: Targeting works properly in the discontinued Dynamic Combat Ops missions, so something that was changed in DRO after DCO stopped being updated seems to be the most likely culprit.

mbrdmn posted:

Giving you a shout since I think I fixed the problem. I found and subscribed to the test version of DRO and found that targeting worked properly in it. It's only a month older than the release version currently on the workshop so I started comparing the two by replacing files and the culprit was in sunday_system/player_setup/setupPlayersFaction.sqf.

Lines 513, 627, 749 and 869 use the sun_setPlayerGroup function, and in the release build it's set to
code:
call sun_setPlayerGroup;
and in the test version it's
code:
remoteExec ["sun_setPlayerGroup"];
I'm definitely not a programmer so I'm making a broad assumption, but I'm guessing that would explain why it's been working perfectly for me when I'm hosting the mission locally, but none of my friends are able to lock on to targets - the code that tells players if something that can be targeted is only running on the machine hosting the mission.

I switched those four lines back to remoteExec and now clients are able to lock on with no issues. Hopefully I didn't break something else with my amateurish prodding. The lines I changed were
code:
[_playersPos] call sun_setPlayerGroup;
[_randomStartingLocation] call sun_setPlayerGroup;
[_airStartPos] call sun_setPlayerGroup;
[getPos logicStartPos] call sun_setPlayerGroup;
Edit: Just found out that was originally changed to fix a bug that was making players invincible due to a race condition, and I'm definitely seeing that happening now. At least now we kinda know why targeting is broken and someone more talented than me can fix it without bringing back old bugs.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 24, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm definitely not a programmer so I'm making a broad assumption, but I'm guessing that would explain why it's been working perfectly for me when I'm hosting the mission locally, but none of my friends are able to lock on to targets - the code that tells players if something that can be targeted is only running on the machine hosting the mission.

This is how the SQF gets you. First you're fixing, then you're tweaking, before long you're coding for ACE trying to put your army man fetishes into the game. The arma discord is extremely helpful and responsive.

e: removed

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 25, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Check out the edit I just made, as well as this thread starting with Ari's posts. I''m in the Discord now but didn't want to bug you guys while you were in the middle of a mission.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/705986840/358415738180311036/?ctp=6

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Dumb question alert, did the devs ever do a second pass over the interface and UX? I liked the idea of the game and the DLC I’ve read about but don’t want to dive back in if it’s as user unfriendly as it was at launch.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's definitely better than it was at launch, but it's been so long that I can't remember exactly how bad it was. The only thing I can immediately recall that I was happy about was the change in font to something more normal and readable, and the virtual arsenal makes playing tactical dressup super easy. Also, if you're into making missions the Eden editor is light-years ahead of what the game came with at launch.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

ColdIronsBound posted:

Dumb question alert, did the devs ever do a second pass over the interface and UX? I liked the idea of the game and the DLC I’ve read about but don’t want to dive back in if it’s as user unfriendly as it was at launch.

It's still scrollwheel and middle mouse hell for the majority of common actions outside of press I for inventory. Once the stockholm syndrome sets in it's bearable. Post-Apex DLC the devs moved away from scoll wheel actions trying to use "hold button while looking at thing" actions for missions/plot related stuff. Some mods attempt to address UI (ACE3 with its interact/self interact menus) but I wouldn't push ACE3 at a first time player.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Check out the edit I just made, as well as this thread starting with Ari's posts. I''m in the Discord now but didn't want to bug you guys while you were in the middle of a mission.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/705986840/358415738180311036/?ctp=6

Disregard what I said about JIP. It's a bit complex for Sunday morning so I'm not getting the full picture. sun_setPlayerGroup seems to be a server only command that should run once. It makes a new group, forces all the newly created player units into it, turns on the AI for the player units, then broadcasts the groups ID. The one thing that stands out to me but is honestly an extremely long bow is

code:
\sunday_system\fnc_lib\sundayFunctions.sqf

line 496		_x enableAI "ALL";
The command 'enableAI' requires the unit itself to be local to the computer where the command is ran to have an effect. edit: I think at the point this script runs the mission has created units for the players and has given them control already, so the player unit should be local to the player computer at this time. I can't recall if lasing is tied to an AI function, but ARMA is loving weird so anything is possible. If sun_setPlayerGroup is being ran by remoteExec everywhere like in the test version, then it's running on every computer, so eventually every player computer will run that line it and it will be effective for their player unit. In the release version, only the server runs sun_setPlayerGroup, so a dedicated host would do nothing, local host would enable AI for their own player unit, but not for client player units.

Try (I think this is right but I haven't done arma code for 18 months at this point)
code:
\sunday_system\fnc_lib\sundayFunctions.sqf

line 496		[_x,"ALL"] remoteExec ["enableAI", _x, false];
It's trying to remoteExec enableAI on the computer where the unit is local.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 25, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hot drat, I think that did the trick. I restored setupPlayersFaction.sqf back to its original state and applied your change to sundayFunctions.sqf. So far targeting works properly and when the tank returns fire I get blown the hell up. I'll do more testing to make sure since the invincibility was intermittent but that's definitely a much cleaner solution than my hackjob so I'm confident that it'll be a permanent fix.

Thanks so much for the help, I never would have picked up on that on my own.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Arma :allears: Glad it worked.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Here is some Premium Goon Video Content, fresh off the presses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYBngWKz9ZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQDQSy62dr8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaw7uEiw-l0

Join us goons

acems
May 8, 2019

join us so we can unlock all the tow mod's secrets together

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Ninja edit: oops wrong thread

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The current Arma 3 sales and $ USD prices on Steam until January 5th, 2021:
75% off of Arma 3
74% off of Apex Edition (bundling the base game with Apex and the first three DLCs)
71% off of the DLC Essentials (bundling every DLC except for Apex from Karts through Tanks)
70% off of Ultimate Edition (bundling everything except for the Creator DLCs and the Soundtrack)
67% off of Contact Edition (bundling the base game with Contact)
66% off of all DLCs before Contact
50% off of Contact, the Soundtrack, and the Global Mobilization - Cold War Germany Creator DLC (CDLC)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What should I play if I only have the base Arma 3, and want to play a persistent insurgent single player campaign like Antistasi? Hopefully one that's fairly stable?

There are dozens of workshop mods that call themselves that name, so a specific one would be nice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Single player or multiple people?

Overthrow is good and probably better than antistasi (I play with loot mod on but if often spawns dlc loot). It is a little grindy as a single player.

Kp liberation is fun with others. I can pm you a discord where we are currently working through kp liberation map if you have PMs. We are doing it on tanoa so whatever expansion gets you that map would be good.
Kp liberation also lets you have a load out and not worry about losing guns and poo poo. But it's good to play with a friend because soo many of the hostile forces sit in buildings and snipe you so you may be spending a lot of time waiting for the halo jump timer to count down ( no clue if you can adjust in mission pbo)

I tried single player antistasi mod as well (loot on too) and it seems okay, it just seems very punishing, like you attack a small group and then a the sudden you've got a qrf of like 8-10 people which sucks when you're single or even 2-3 players it seems

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 26, 2020

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Old man is a pretty good single player take, but I think it requires Apex.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

tater_salad posted:

Single player or multiple people?

Overthrow is good and probably better than antistasi (I play with loot mod on but if often spawns dlc loot). It is a little grindy as a single player.

Kp liberation is fun with others. I can pm you a discord where we are currently working through kp liberation map if you have PMs. We are doing it on tanoa so whatever expansion gets you that map would be good.
Kp liberation also lets you have a load out and not worry about losing guns and poo poo. But it's good to play with a friend because soo many of the hostile forces sit in buildings and snipe you so you may be spending a lot of time waiting for the halo jump timer to count down ( no clue if you can adjust in mission pbo)

I tried single player antistasi mod as well (loot on too) and it seems okay, it just seems very punishing, like you attack a small group and then a the sudden you've got a qrf of like 8-10 people which sucks when you're single or even 2-3 players it seems

Thanks! And yes, single player.

Which version of Overthrow do you recommend? Steam workshop has terrible sorting.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=107410&searchtext=overthrow&actualsort=trend&browsesort=trend&p=1&days=365

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've played the one with the black stencil/spray paint with map as background. Don't know about the other versions of it.

You need to start a local server and play from there as it's not a single player mission file.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for the guidance. There's an Overthrow that requires Apex, and an Overthrow Plus that doesn't, so I'll try that and muck along best I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Vindicta is good as well, but a bit harder than antistasi