Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

LLeGGo posted:

Literally the first thing I will do after download is go in and blow up literally everything available in the editor.

Every. Thing.

Such as conducting scientific experiments to see how many satchel charges it takes to send vehicles into orbit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is this still using PhysX? I have a Q9450 and I'm worried my geriatric is going to wheeze around.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm really looking forward to the new physics. It's really overdue.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Is this still using PhysX? I have a Q9450 and I'm worried my geriatric is going to wheeze around.

Yes, for vehicles for sure and likely for ragdolls as well. A Q9450 is likely going to have a fair bit of trouble with A3, in fact I imagine its a bit iffy with A2. Thankfully LGA 1155 CPU's and motherboards are really cheap these days, never been a cheaper or better time to upgrade

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mederlock posted:

Yes, for vehicles for sure and likely for ragdolls as well. A Q9450 is likely going to have a fair bit of trouble with A3, in fact I imagine its a bit iffy with A2. Thankfully LGA 1155 CPU's and motherboards are really cheap these days, never been a cheaper or better time to upgrade

I run A2 fine with OA installed, but I wouldn't call £170 cheap.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

And modders hate steam because they want absolute freedom and that's no DRM. I'm willing to throw that out the windows for better stability, less bugs, quicker patches, and easier moddability with steamworks.

Even then, though, a huge number of A2OA players have Steam versions and run the same mods as everyone else with... okay, with the same general problems everyone else has, for the most part. The additional problems come mainly from A2/OA being in two separate directories under Steam rather than installed over top of eachother.

Putting everything under the Steam tent with A3 will fix a lot of the mod installation confusion, even if it DOESN'T get Workshop support. And if it DOES get Workshop support, it doesn't mean manual installation is impossible, it's just an additional, massively streamlined option.

And didn't they say they're not planning on locking the DLC PBOs this time around?

I cannot think of a single downside to the steamworks thing. Now, I could understand being mad if it were going to be an Origin exclusive, but...

I suspect most of the rage is really about :filez:.

How dare BIS move to a DRM option better than FADE :bahgawd:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

I run A2 fine with OA installed, but I wouldn't call £170 cheap.

In a vacuum sure, but for what you get today compared to what you would pay for in the past it is cheap. Regardless, it's going to be a crapshoot about what kind of hardware would be considered playable until we actually get our hands on the alpha as a litmus test of sorts for what BIS listed for their specs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mederlock posted:

In a vacuum sure, but for what you get today compared to what you would pay for in the past it is cheap. Regardless, it's going to be a crapshoot about what kind of hardware would be considered playable until we actually get our hands on the alpha as a litmus test of sorts for what BIS listed for their specs.

Oh definitely, I'll be purchasing it during alpha even if I can't get all the bells and whistles, for the 44% discount alone. And it'll tell me how much longer I can keep this rig running.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

ijyt posted:

Yes, but not in the GPU "Let's see how many rags and liquid particles we can stuff in a map" way. I'm not really expecting anything past ropes, vehicle physics and ragdolls.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For anyone who cares to become one of the *ahem* post-Binkowski*/Xeno/W0lle generation, from the lead animator:

Vespa posted:

I can confirm Arma2 character models WILL work in Arma3. They only need some slight modifications, like renaming of selections, transfering memorypoints, distributing new proxies and copypasting new bare skin hands if present. Nothing too difficult. Arma2 heads will not transfer, as the facial skeleton is completely different.
* Binkowski seems mainly concerned with "mod theft" abetted by Steam Workshop.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Snuffy the Evil posted:

Yes, but not in the GPU "Let's see how many rags and liquid particles we can stuff in a map" way. I'm not really expecting anything past ropes, vehicle physics and ragdolls.

Ropes are confirmed out, and the PhysX implementation is apparently CPU-only. Ragdolls also likely don't have anything to do with physx.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Some (more) insight on "beta patching":

quote:

We're trying to take it to the next level, using the Development branch in Steam's application properties (opt-in and not default). During Alpha, Beta and I imagine after release this is where we'll deploy fixes, experiments, changes and additions rather frequently ... before they get deployed on the main game branch. This could mean that branch is not always working well, but it allows rapid fix confirmation and a sneak peek into future updates.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ham posted:

Ropes are confirmed out, and the PhysX implementation is apparently CPU-only. Ragdolls also likely don't have anything to do with physx.

That sounds good. I really didn't want to upgrade. If only nvidia allowed ATi users to run a poo poo nvidia card as a physx card.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

ijyt posted:

That sounds good. I really didn't want to upgrade. If only nvidia allowed ATi users to run a poo poo nvidia card as a physx card.

You can, with custom drivers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-physx-hack-amd-radeon,2764-6.html

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

ijyt posted:

Because Nvidia are dumb PhysX will never be used to its full potential. As in, it can't be used in any major gameplay altering way. So standard ragdolls and physics only. We with AMD cards should be fine since it would be incredibly stupid to exclude tons of customers because they have the "wrong" gpu.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Torabi posted:

Because Nvidia are dumb PhysX will never be used to its full potential. As in, it can't be used in any major gameplay altering way. So standard ragdolls and physics only. We with AMD cards should be fine since it would be incredibly stupid to exclude tons of customers because they have the "wrong" gpu.

Do you not remember the whole Arkham Asylum fiasco where the ability to use AA was disabled solely on one maker's cards?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

hailthefish posted:

I cannot think of a single downside to the steamworks thing. Now, I could understand being mad if it were going to be an Origin exclusive, but...

I suspect most of the rage is really about :filez:
The only downside that I can think of (that's been mentioned earlier too) is playing over a LAN without the internet available. Hopefully there will be an option for local play while steam is in offline mode.

The rage about modding with Steam is also really loving dumb IMO. But if some war nerds completely abandon Arma3 it prevents another ACE being made then that's great.

I'm really excited for the alpha. I just built a new PC for myself and I find out this will be released shortly.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Budzilla posted:

The only downside that I can think of (that's been mentioned earlier too) is playing over a LAN without the internet available. Hopefully there will be an option for local play while steam is in offline mode.

The rage about modding with Steam is also really loving dumb IMO. But if some war nerds completely abandon Arma3 it prevents another ACE being made then that's great.

I'm really excited for the alpha. I just built a new PC for myself and I find out this will be released shortly.
It won't prevent ACE 3, it's just Xeno publicly rage quitting, though on Reddit Dyslecxi publicly accused him of lying about his reason (that is, that Steam was merely a convenient excuse for having already thrown in the towel) and said that Xeno's "toxic attitude" is why Dyslecxi doesn't contribute to ACE... and someone else accused Xeno of using intentionally obscure coding for Domination to either hide its lovely coding or to prevent others from learning (read: port it over without his permission which he won't give).... maybe his real reason has to do with how there's a BI thread basically having other members of the forums publicly saying "hey Domination is old and people have moved on to better pastures."

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Budzilla posted:

I'm looking forward to ACE 3. Just because some people don't like ACE, doesn't mean that everyone does, and there's more then just the tryhard milspergs "40 mike mike oscar mike over" types that like to play it. ACE 2 does go a little to far sometimes, but all in all it's a really impressive mod and I don't see how it hurts the game by existing :shrug:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real thing that makes ACE fun is the little details they add, like the axillary rotor being able to kill people when it's spinning down. We had our team engineer down himself three separate times on it before learning about that. The fact that sunglasses actually reduce glare and make backwash not 'hurt' your eyes is also a nice touch.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Haephastus posted:

The real thing that makes ACE fun is the little details they add, like the axillary rotor being able to kill people when it's spinning down. We had our team engineer down himself three separate times on it before learning about that. The fact that sunglasses actually reduce glare and make backwash not 'hurt' your eyes is also a nice touch.

Some things in ACE2, like batteries (obligatory battery joke) and combat deafness are just dumb as gently caress. But other things, like deployable crew-served weapons and ammunition cooking off and CCIP/CCRP bombing that actually works and the non-spergy version of the medical system and a metric fuckton of additional vehicles and weapons, are really cool.

Fuckers did away with the cool HALO stuff and replaced it with that stupid altimeter thing though :(

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Arma_3:_New_Scripting_Commands_List

Enjoy.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:awesome:

So much potential. Just two more days.. hnngh.

Grabenkrieg
Mar 2, 2013

In Stahlgewittern
http://imgur.com/a/cKKWU

New screenshots, details are looking really nice.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Haephastus posted:

The fact that sunglasses actually reduce glare and make backwash not 'hurt' your eyes is also a nice touch.

Sunglasses keeps you from choking on dust just like real life!

Also yay reload animations!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

GoldenNugget posted:

Sunglasses keeps you from choking on dust just like real life!

Also yay reload animations!

But can you wear your sunglasses at night so you can so you can watch me weave and breathe the story lines?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Grabenkrieg posted:

drat those look amazing :stare:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Grabenkrieg posted:

Those screenshots are amazing. If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought those were actually pictures taken from a camera. Any bets on how long it'll be before news agencies think vids from A3 are real?

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 3, 2013

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Vadoc posted:

Those screenshots are amazing. If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought those were actually pictures taken from a camera. Any bets on how long it'll be before news agencies think vids from A3 are real?

They already think ArmA2 videos are real. I recall some news station using ArmA2 footage in a report.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/itv-uses-arma-2-footage-ira-documentary/

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

That's what I meant. If they thought it was real with Arma 2 graphics, they'll have an even harder time with Arma 3.

Grabenkrieg
Mar 2, 2013

In Stahlgewittern

Vadoc posted:

That's what I meant. If they thought it was real with Arma 2 graphics, they'll have an even harder time with Arma 3.

I don't think they thought it was real. It's undoubtedly something they made themselves that they were just trying to dress up as real.

I can't read apparently. Still, I think they were well aware it was fake. They just wanted juicy footage for the TV folk.

Grabenkrieg fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 3, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Very nice.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Grabenkrieg posted:

Bohemia Interactive's Pallet Simulator 2013

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I dreamed I was playing this game last night.

Thinking back, I remember the first time I heard about ARMA 2 on a forum I post on. 200km+ sq km? Planes, boats, vehicles, armour, in many different varieties that are all controllable by the player? Massive multiplayer skirmishes using all the aforementioned things? Sign me the gently caress up. Then I tried to run it on my PC at the time :(

No such mistakes this time, though. I have a PC that is well above the recommended specs so I hope to be running it on full detail with a solid-if-not constant 60fps framerate. I had an ARMA 2 capable PC a bit later in the piece, but there were so many mods and the scene was so far progressed I found it kind of inaccessible. Hopefully getting in ground floor this time I will be able to keep up with it.

Quick question: does anyone know how timezones will work? I live in Australia and I dearly hope I will be able to pick this baby up at midnight so I can be one of the first to post screenies (apart from those really scummy people who have access already) in this thread ;)

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

fuckpot posted:

No such mistakes this time, though. I have a PC that is well above the recommended specs so I hope to be running it on full detail with a solid-if-not constant 60fps framerate.

This is BI we are talking about still. It's probably still going to run at 20FPS if you have recommended specs. :smith:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

VarXX posted:

This is BI we are talking about still. It's probably still going to run at 20FPS if you have recommended specs. :smith:

When out in the open. 10fps in cities. Perfectly playable! :downs:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Updated the OP, will keep trying to actually keep it up to date now. Also, Dslyecxi is going(this video has some new screens too :toot:) to be releasing 2 Arma 3 videos tomorrow, it should be great. :allears:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Some other folks also dug up an In-Editor Config Viewer (Selected entry is "Tavor_base_F").

Also, besides the EBR being "re"-confirmed (now that the F2000 is seemingly nowhere to be seen) with the earlier links and this additional picture and my vague belief the MX has had a caliber change (for some reason it now looks like a "8.5mm" in the name instead of "6.5mm")... it looks like the "HE Grenade x2" is further proof that grenades are no longer part of the fire mode cycle! :toot:

Grabenkrieg
Mar 2, 2013

In Stahlgewittern

Chortles posted:

Some other folks also dug up an In-Editor Config Viewer (Selected entry is "Tavor_base_F").

Also, besides the EBR being "re"-confirmed (now that the F2000 is seemingly nowhere to be seen) with the earlier links and this additional picture and my vague belief the MX has had a caliber change (for some reason it now looks like a "8.5mm" in the name instead of "6.5mm")... it looks like the "HE Grenade x2" is further proof that grenades are no longer part of the fire mode cycle! :toot:

"Re-confirmed"? When was it ever un-confirmed? I don't see what it has to do with the FN2000, one's a DMR and the other's a regular assault rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

The MX should still be 6.5mm 'caseless', those pictures from the ARG just have a lot of JPEG compression artifacts and looks lovely and blurry at that low resolution. If you zoom in really close you can tell it's 6.5, not 8.5.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 4, 2013