Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I never fly jets and don't plan to. I still haven't seen a reason to buy that DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Also, designing fun jet-centric missions is really hard because there aren't many ways to create a compelling reason to have more than one pilot (which makes sense since it's an infantry-centric game). Especially considering how easy it is to overcome the AI jets.

That holdout scenario I posted a couple pages back from a few years ago was the only good jet mission involving more than 1 pilot that I was able to make. My best attempts at having two jets in a mission have been either by simply specializing each jet for one purpose or by providing an extremely minimal amount of missiles/rockets before they have to go back to land and re-arm.

I'd love it if there were some sort of VCOM-like AI mod specifically for aircraft behavior.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 13, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah it doesn't help that the maps as big as they are are still small enough to be completely dominated by just one modern fighter jet. Realistically it would be so bristling with SAMs (that also can dominate the airspace from just one location) and AAA that nobody would be flying.

Speaking of jets. I remember as a kid playing Novalogic games how cool it would be to also play as the pilot once you ejected and hit the ground. I just realized my wish had been granted a long ago already, OFP/Arma is that game :allears:

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
A3 is on sale on Steam until until April 24th. 50% off for base game, 30% off for Apex. No discount on the next DLC, obviously.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone interested in doing ovethrow in a3 we have a server that is set up or we can rent one if the owner decides to turn it into a pubg server if that ever becomes a thing.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 21, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

skooma512 posted:

Yeah it doesn't help that the maps as big as they are are still small enough to be completely dominated by just one modern fighter jet. Realistically it would be so bristling with SAMs (that also can dominate the airspace from just one location) and AAA that nobody would be flying.

Speaking of jets. I remember as a kid playing Novalogic games how cool it would be to also play as the pilot once you ejected and hit the ground. I just realized my wish had been granted a long ago already, OFP/Arma is that game :allears:

This post inspires me to create a PJ mission: parachute behind enemy lines and rescue a downed pilot. I haven't made one of those in years. Maybe it can start with the jet engine destroyed at a high enough altitude that the pilot has to manually eject at the start and decide where he'll land. Then when he lands one of those circle area markers appears off-center based on his landing position and the rest of the players have to deploy over there. That way everybody has time to play Barbie on the Arsenal box while the pilot is landing. So for the pilot it's escape & evade because he could alternatively sneak to a rendez-vous point to end the mission, but for everybody else it's search & rescue.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 21, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Give the pilot a short range radio that won't allow contact from far out. The search team could have a helicopter, and the enemy would be irregulars spread everywhere.

Two pilots so that buddies can help each other.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

tater_salad posted:

Anyone interested in doing ovethrow in a3 we have a server that is set up or we can rent one if the owner decides to turn it into a pubg server if that ever becomes a thing.

Overthrow is great so I and at least one non-goon buddy would probably be interested. Word of warning, RHS, Task Force Radio, and enhanced movement are all things that don't reliably work with Overthrow but CUP weapons/vehicles works fine and so does stuff like the KA packs and NIArms and poo poo like that. It's also got some integration built into it to make use of VSM to give fugitives all manner of tactical vests. They also did very recently update it so even modded factions should have dudes that sell you poo poo and give you missions hidden in towns.

As long as you got something that adds a loving old-rear end bolt-action rifle I'm probably down at least. I learned how to turn myself into a suicide bomber so there are high odds I will do that at least once and I got decent at shooting helicopters with dumbfire missiles.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 21, 2017

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

A3 is on sale on Steam until until April 24th. 50% off for base game, 30% off for Apex. No discount on the next DLC, obviously.
Similar pricing over at Bohemia's Web store but they get a bigger cut of purchases there, and there's a ten percent (10%) discount on Jets alone... speaking of which:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Overthrow is great so I and at least one non-goon buddy would probably be interested. Word of warning, RHS, Task Force Radio, and enhanced movement are all things that don't reliably work with Overthrow but CUP weapons/vehicles works fine and so does stuff like the KA packs and NIArms and poo poo like that. It's also got some integration built into it to make use of VSM to give fugitives all manner of tactical vests. They also did very recently update it so even modded factions should have dudes that sell you poo poo and give you missions hidden in towns.

As long as you got something that adds a loving old-rear end bolt-action rifle I'm probably down at least. I learned how to turn myself into a suicide bomber so there are high odds I will do that at least once and I got decent at shooting helicopters with dumbfire missiles.

Dunno about getting mods on the server right now it's vanilla with just admin toolkit on it, I don't have control of the server that at least I and another goon play on, but I'll look into getting an Arma server rental if it's not too bad we can toss mods on it..

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I'm cool enough with vanilla (The AKM is perfectly fine for most of the engagements I've gotten in and has been my backup gun when I die and have to get back to the fight even in modded games of Overthrow). My buddy's outright good with vanilla, he doesn't care what he uses as long as it reaches out, I'm the one who likes ~style~

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I found a server that's like 4 bux a month for 8 slots so I think I'll try and set it up today or we can hop on another server.. I'll pm you discord in a bit.

Be warned I'm bad at Arma.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 22, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chortles posted:

Similar pricing over at Bohemia's Web store but they get a bigger cut of purchases there, and there's a ten percent (10%) discount on Jets alone... speaking of which:

Wonder what the range on those SAMs is like. And more importantly, if they can actually resist countermeasures better than vanilla poo poo.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 22, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

tater_salad posted:

I found a server that's like 4 bux a month for 8 slots so I think I'll try and set it up today or we can hop on another server.. I'll pm you discord in a bit.

Be warned I'm bad at Arma.

Even the worst player can be the most effective suicide bomber :getin:

BTW my dude's thinking about it, he's just wary about whether the server would always be up or only at set times, since we used to play with his brother but he's a hell of a flake so we haven't been able to do poo poo in forever. I should note that Overthrow is designed to go dormant when there's no players on so it's technically safe to have up 24/7.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So thinking about picking this up, mostly for Modded gameplay, how essential is apex or dlcs? Can i basically just get the base game and play whatever or will i get the most bang for my buck with the whole package?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

When you say modded do you mean online multiplayer? Get the whole thing, tanoa (apex map) is good, choppers and marksman is good, Mart's are meh but come with the total dlc package..

A fee multiplayer things use tanoa (apex map) exclusively.. you can play modded/online with others and still have a good time but for the extra cash for those mods you won't be kicking yourself later that you didn't get it on sale.. just my humble opinion.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Talkc posted:

So thinking about picking this up, mostly for Modded gameplay, how essential is apex or dlcs? Can i basically just get the base game and play whatever or will i get the most bang for my buck with the whole package?

If you have to choose one over the other, get Apex. Many servers run it and it's a really good level. I know ArmaGoons will try to run non Apex maps if someone is playing and doesn't have it.

The DLC's are less required. You can actually use DLC content if someone you're playing with owns it . (I.e. he uses DLC gun, dies, you can pick it up. Or he spawns DLC helicopter, you can be a passenger). They just make you sit through a splash screen advertisement at the end of the game if you use DLC content without owning it.

FWIW, when I started getting back into Arma back in January and joined ArmaGoons, I waited about a week before purchasing Apex. I just now purchased the other DLC with this sale.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Apex is pretty drat pricy and if you aren't going to run around the map or campaign then it's 30-40 bucks for a car and an Osprey-expy. Unfortunately, you still need it for said map.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Gamerofthegame posted:

Apex is pretty drat pricy and if you aren't going to run around the map or campaign then it's 30-40 bucks for a car and an Osprey-expy. Unfortunately, you still need it for said map.

You also need if it your mission maker decided to put an Apex building (like a green sandbag) on Altis.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My opinion is buy apex edition, and the $10 dlc pack.. and then not worry about not having dlc for things later.

I'm not huge into fps games and was weary to buy all of that at full price 80 instead of 60, and I have at least 200 legit hours into it since Feb. I haven't even done the campaigns yet, just overthrow and exile.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I've over 1300 hours in A3 combined. None of which was singleplayer.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Play Overthrow, buy a go kart to get to some dudes that you shoot with an M14 and the cargo-hook the kart to a helicopter to take it to another island, that pretty much sums up all the DLC currently.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I thought this 64 bit patch was supposed to get rid of the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
AFAIK the memory leak still exists it just has more memory it needs to fill first.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I dont think anyone in Armagoons experienced the memory leak for a few weeks now. We play some pretty bad missions with lots of bad scripting too.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Huh. That's interesting. Maybe something's messed up with mine and I just need to reinstall. I play the Invade/Annex on a Tanoa map with zero mods, so I know it's not a mod issue. I played for a few hours Saturday and the game crashed probably four times in five hours.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

I dont think anyone in Armagoons experienced the memory leak for a few weeks now. We play some pretty bad missions with lots of bad scripting too.

I did last saturday, and had to restart my computer in the middle of a mission.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

wargames posted:

I did last saturday, and had to restart my computer in the middle of a mission.

Same here, when we were playing the Lingor Escape map before the event. Within minutes of round start, Windows threw an Out of Memory warning, I tabbed back in, and then the system hardlocked.

For what it's worth, I've had my share of occasional crashes but never with the "out of memory" warning before.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the 64-bit update means that instead of just eating up the 4 gb allotted to Arma it'll now eat up all memory it can use... that being all of it.

So basically now if the update didn't fix the problem for you, it just made it worse.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Yeah I knew the 64bit update didnt fix anything, since I had the 3fps memory leak problem right after it, but ever since the hotfix, I've been running smooth. Didn't realize any of you crashed during the session, my bad! Had my hands full training a newbie.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
There is a new memory allocator that some guy in the community made, CMA64. It has really helped with my performance and some of the people that I play with. I can link it to whoever wants it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

leekster posted:

There is a new memory allocator that some guy in the community made, CMA64. It has really helped with my performance and some of the people that I play with. I can link it to whoever wants it.

why don't you just link it in the thread?

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Sure I'll link it here. It's from my personal Gdrive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-zEnlMI5OcaVnBsVmVVSnB3VTg

For those who have never used a different memory allocator I'll give you a run down real quick.

Put this in your DLL folder.
In the launcher you need to scroll down and select your own memory allocator.

I also suggest playing with the big page switching setting if you have ArmA on your SSD.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Tried it, doesn't really feel like it makes much difference to me so far.

Speaking of performance is there any way to turn PIP on without it being an instant 20-30 FPS loss in vehicles or is it just that trash all the time?

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
I am not seeing huge frame gains with that, but it has made the frame drops very, very small.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
PIP will always be ressource intensive by design, you are rendering another scene on your screen so there's not really a way around it, plus the resolution is already down to ridiculous levels.

In the RHS mod, some vehicles have no direct external viewport, only PIP screens. Welp!

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Back to crashing again. I get a solid 10-15 minutes of playing before it crashes.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So what's the consensus on ArmStalker considering it's now open alpha/beta/whatever?

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Jet DLC is out, but no posts? Where is Chortles hiding at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Our group had a lot of problems with our first mission after Jets. Both unmodded and ACE missile launchers would no longer track their targets for most players. With ACE enabled, some players would load as "UNKNOWN" and the ACE medical system failed to initialize. We think it was corrupted profile data as deleting our *.arma3profile files got things going again.

This does reset all your controls so prepare to cry.

e: oh yeah we had to export new ACE settings our description.ext. I think they changed a variablename but I wasn't there for that discussion so :shrug:

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 19, 2017