Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The only scifi technology was the underwater rifles, which sort of exist. Everything else exists in at least prototype form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I thought as much. What a bizzare thing to get indignant about.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Buuut, buut it will totally destroy their realistic immersion when they are being shot by 'invented' firearms with a made-up name, instead of a real AK or M16 properly labelled as such, even if functionally they are the same!!

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Carecat posted:

The only scifi technology was the underwater rifles, which sort of exist. Everything else exists in at least prototype form.
I was under the impression supercavitating ammunition was a real thing that works. I thought I had heard something about rail guns being in Arma 3, though, so that's probably the most scifi thing I can think of. And even those have existing real-world prototypes with serious research being made.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Mind you, it's coming in this case from someone who presumably owes his moderator position -- and any community relevance -- to a mid-1980s total conversion mod...

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
No, no, it goes way back. He's been a mod for years before CWR2 was made. As for future tech, the most advanced is way more cameras on things and apparently a railgun macguffin.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Come on man, these people still cry about the cold war ending because it means they won't live out their WW3 fantasies. Being reminded of reality in their war simulators just adds insult to injury.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Be advised, apparent ARG in progress related to non-ShackTac server host names here.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Carecat posted:

Caveat: Apparently underwater assault rifles really do exist, it's just that only the Soviets/Russians did those -- America and Germany (H&K) never got past pistols -- and the in-game weapon (SDAR 6.5mm) uses the appearance a modified Kel-Tec RFB (no optics rail, changed logo) battle rifle, but in-game it uses special 20-round magazines with supercavitating ammo in the same caliber as the assault rifles.

Dan Didio posted:

Let's put it this way, Dan Didio: Only in Arma would you have an "Is Arma 3 authentic?" forums thread specifically to rebut the "OMG sci-fi immersion ruined"... which, again, revealed that much of the appearing hardware has an IRL counterpart, even if some of the details are off though believe you me some of them will sperg out about said details, or complain that the RAH-66 Comanche never made it past prototype in our timeline... you know, ignoring the fact that Arma's timeline diverged from ours all the way back in the mid-1980s. And yeah, some people ARE set off by the game being set in the future at all. :rolleyes:

Remember, this is a crowd where someone can complain that tactical pace/the infantry movement and weapon handling changes are "too fluid and responsive" and not be laughed out of the forum...

Turin Turambar posted:

Buuut, buut it will totally destroy their realistic immersion when they are being shot by 'invented' firearms with a made-up name, instead of a real AK or M16 properly labelled as such, even if functionally they are the same!!
In fairness, more mainstream games aren't always much better in this field; see Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

Speaking of which, Turam, the Steamworks thread is open again.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
ARG confirmed, click the "About this site" link.

Speaking of which, as of this post one of the Gamespy Arma 3 servers has the hostname "@Tom__Larkin http://www.altis-quest.com/", corresponding to both the Web site and a Twitter account. The "Randall" in one of the blog posts corresponds to this Twitter account, and there's this guy.

As far as the "Mike-26" references... here.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 26, 2013

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
ArmA 3 Alpha will be released on the 5th of March! It'll be a paid public alpha, starting price is 25 euros for the alpha, beta and the full game, which is releasing Q3 2013 exclusively on Steam. The Alpha is also going to be on Steam

https://www.arma3.com

To buy: https://www.arma3.com/buy

Requirements posted:

MINIMUM
OS Windows Vista SP2
Windows 7 SP1
PROCESSOR Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz
AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz
GRAPHICS NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
ATI Radeon HD 3830
Intel HD Graphics 4000
GPU MEMORY 512 MB
DirectX® 10
RAM 2 GB
HARD DRIVE 15 GB free space
HARD DRIVE (ALPHA) 10 GB free space
AUDIO DirectX® compatible on-board
OTHER Internet connection and free Steam account to activate

RECOMMENDED
OS Windows Vista SP2
Windows 7 SP1
PROCESSOR Intel Core i5-2300
AMD Phenom II X4 940
GRAPHICS Nvidia GeForce GTS 560
AMD Radeon HD 7750
GPU MEMORY 1 GB
DirectX® 11
RAM 4 GB
HARD DRIVE 25 GB free space
HARD DRIVE (ALPHA) 20 GB free space
AUDIO DirectX® compatible soundcard
OTHER Internet connection and free Steam account to activate

Release Plan: (Prices will increase per release (alpha, beta, gold), so a person buying ArmA3 at launch will pay the whole 45 euros instead of 25)

Ham fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 26, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I wish I could just order it right now. $32 is a steal.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Holy poo poo gently caress YES!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
And then, this game went from "I'll wait" to instant buy. Well played you crafty sons of bitches.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Fuuuck I doubt I'll have the money for a new computer in time.

Oh well, I'll just hope it won't be a horrible slideshow at minimum settings.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Ham posted:

--------------------

Yo dude, is it cool if I integrate that (and any other content I find) into the OP? Would be a shame to not have it up front. I'm going to be overhauling it later today.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
ShackTac's Dyslecxi and "some of us" have actually had early access for a while now -- here's ShackTac screenshots, and starting March 4th at 7 pm Eastern (6 Central) he'll be putting videos up on YouTube... yes, before the alpha is buyable.

EDIT: First screenshot is ROOM CLEARING
EDIT: Corrected on light of Dyslecxi's response

Chortles fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 27, 2013

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Mederlock posted:

Yo dude, is it cool if I integrate that (and any other content I find) into the OP? Would be a shame to not have it up front. I'm going to be overhauling it later today.

Sure, I was going to create a new thread but found yours :)

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Hmmm... shadows still look terrible.

I'm curious if they have a good system for weapon collision. I really want them to take the weapon collision system from Infiltration like they did with the freeaim irons.

Basically, I'll be happy if they can put infiltration combat (with some changes of course) into the ArmA engine.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
I haven't been this excited about a game since I was a kid. :iia:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For US buyers the current prices are:
Basic Alpha: $32.66
Digital Deluxe Alpha: $52.26 (that extra $19.60 over the basic edition is for a digital soundtrack, maps, tactical guide, and ARMA: Cold War Assault* on Steam)
Supporter Alpha: $91.46 (that extra $39.20 over the Digital Deluxe edition is for ARMA X: Anniversary Edition** on Steam, any future Arma 3 DLC***, a forums badge, and the first five hundred (500) buyers of this package get their name in the game credits)

Basic Beta: $45.72
Digital Deluxe Beta: $65.33
Supporter Beta: $91.46

Arma 3 "stable": $58.79
Arma 3 "stable" Digital Deluxe: $65.33

Fun coincidence (or not?): All of the above price points actually correspond to specific prices plus 8.875% NYC sales tax: The basic alpha is $30, the Digital Deluxe alpha is $48, and the Supporter alpha/beta are $84, while the basic beta is $42, the Digital Deluxe beta/stable are $60, and the basic stable is $54.

* Aka Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.
** Includes CWA (so that's two copies) plus Arma 2, Arma 2: OA, Arma 2: BAF, Arma 2: PMC, and Arma: Gold Edition -- which on Steam is exclusive to this bundle, which is currently $49.99 on Steam.
*** Does not include any standalone expansions or sequels.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't understand the difference between buying Alpha or Beta. Doesn't the Alpha come with Beta and the full game?

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
buying it now is cheaper?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

alg posted:

I don't understand the difference between buying Alpha or Beta. Doesn't the Alpha come with Beta and the full game?
The implication is "buy it at a discount because it's an even buggier mess".

Oh yeah, creative director Jay Crowe confirmed on the BI forums that Altis (the renamed Limnos) is exclusive to the stable "full release" build.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
They are doing a Minecraft style approach where if you buy in early you get everything for a fraction of the final cost, and as the game progresses in development, the price to buy in will go up.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

VarXX posted:

They are doing a Minecraft style approach where if you buy in early you get everything for a fraction of the final cost, and as the game progresses in development, the price to buy in will go up.

Thanks, this owns.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world is that?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

alg posted:

Thanks, this owns.
Funny thing is, other than the multiple editions this is the same plan as DayZ standalone... wow, DayZ really did affect Arma 3 development in more ways than one. :D

Dr.Oblivious posted:

"Ansyr" armored vehicle in OPFOR colors.

As far as Steam prices go, from BI PR guy Korneel:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Well, keep in mind the game is set in the near-future, so it's probably some design for a vehicle that's only in the prototype/proof of concept stages, if not just made up entirely.

e: Guess I was right :p

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Well, keep in mind the game is set in the near-future, so it's probably some design for a vehicle that's only in the prototype/proof of concept stages, if not just made up entirely.

e: Guess I was right :p
It should be added that the RAH-66 Comanche never made it past (flyable) prototype stage in our timeline anyway.

Whoops, from a Rock, Paper, Shotgun comment about the armored vehicle:

lijenstina posted:

It’s a prototype called Zil Karatel.

Only one made and dismantled.
There were pictures on some forums like Military photos and Russian live journals that someone did take the Kamaz 4911 chassis – ( yes the Rally Kamaz – in the civilian version -there is videos of it driving a road at 160km/h so this thing should be fast) and place that body on it because of the looks) and that was an another prototype. It could be a new development for the Russian army/Internal Troops/ FSB, but I haven’t seen anything conclusive.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Is this going to be a total system eater? I thought the developers said they were working on optimization improvements to make it run better than Arma 2.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
-sic-

Calipark fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 26, 2013

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

the black husserl posted:

Is this going to be a total system eater? I thought the developers said they were working on optimization improvements to make it run better than Arma 2.

The recommended specs are just south of middle of the road for a gaming PC. So probably not a system eater. Can't really know until people playing can start talking about it though.

Dslyecxi
Oct 9, 2003

quote:

ShackTac's actually had early access for a while now -- here's ShackTac screenshots, and starting March 4th at 7 pm Eastern (6 Central) he'll be putting videos up on YouTube... yes, before the alpha is buyable.
I wouldn't say that "ShackTac's had early access", and I'd prefer that not to spread as a rumor. There are some of us who have access, but it's far from a group-wide thing, and we're the same ones who have had prerelease access to past games for various reasons.

Dslyecxi fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 26, 2013

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

Chortles posted:

ShackTac's actually had early access for a while now -- here's ShackTac screenshots, and starting March 4th at 7 pm Eastern (6 Central) he'll be putting videos up on YouTube... yes, before the alpha is buyable.

EDIT: First screenshot is ROOM CLEARING

I thought only Dslyecxi did because of the stuff he's done with Bohemia in the past?

EDIT: uhh

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So Dslyecxi has a concept here for grenades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGt8QbK61aE

Even mentioned Infiltration :). Hopefully BIS takes note. And notes from Infiltration in general as the CQB is excellent with a great weapon collision system.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
The BI-forums are going to explode with rage now. First it's Steam only, and now they have pre-order rewards!

http://www.arma3.com/alpha/briefing

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
They seem to be taking it pretty well, also I wonder what they mean by 'modding', are they going to release sample configs with the new changes prior to the release or just let people drop PBO's into the addons folder and sees what happens.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LP97S posted:

They seem to be taking it pretty well, also I wonder what they mean by 'modding', are they going to release sample configs with the new changes prior to the release or just let people drop PBO's into the addons folder and sees what happens.

There's not going to be an sdk or a toolset for modders with the alpha but apparently the process to mod the game isn't that far removed from the process to mod Operation Arrowhead, and they're letting modders figure it out as they go. Apparently tools and such to do it are gonna be moreso in the mid to late parts of the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
I wouldn't be surprised if Oxygen 2 still works for making ARMA 3 models.