Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Buck Turgidson posted:

I know this isn't about the game (which looks awesome), but has there been any news of the two devs detained in Greece? Apart from what little there is posted on the BI website I can't really find anything.

There was some news today actually https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-16-after-70-days-awaiting-trial-jailed-arma-3-devs-refused-bail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
They are doing a Minecraft style approach where if you buy in early you get everything for a fraction of the final cost, and as the game progresses in development, the price to buy in will go up.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

alg posted:

So is the Alpha going to be on Steam?

Yes.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

fuckpot posted:

No such mistakes this time, though. I have a PC that is well above the recommended specs so I hope to be running it on full detail with a solid-if-not constant 60fps framerate.

This is BI we are talking about still. It's probably still going to run at 20FPS if you have recommended specs. :smith:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Rubber Slug posted:

Does anyone have a 660 Ti, i5-3570K combo? If so, can you post your performance? That's what I'm looking to upgrade to, and I wanna make sure it runs well.

I've got a 660 Ti and a i5 2500k, and it runs amazing compared to Arma 2

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Could it have been a bad server/bad mission? We played a mission a little bit ago that caused the game to run at 0.8FPS, and when we switched to another it cleared right up.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

pretend to care posted:

Remoted into home PC and installing now.

Goonserver?

I know it's alpha. Frankly I am not even sure the server software is available yet, hah.

There isn't. You need a steam account with the game purchased to run a server at the moment.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Hellbeard posted:

Hi, I've got the alpha license! Happy. Looking forward to playing some domination (is that still a thing?).

There's no domination yet. Someone did however port over CTI this morning. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147687-Simple-CTI-Warfare

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

So, how long before someone ports over Chernarus and Takistan?

And here's Takistan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkPDNmEF8do

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Last time I played ACE it turned you into a 600lb asthmatic with narcolepsy who couldn't walk 20 feet without passing out in every mission. Anytime someone would tell that one dev he was an idiot for doing it he'd go off on a rant about how he's been "in the poo poo" and you haven't. I'd play ACE if they took that poo poo out.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

wargames posted:

Or you could man up and see what they changed or improved.

No way, I've been burned twice already. I should have mentioned i tried it both in ARMA 2 and after OA launched. My soldier still had emphysema

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Trying to join random Wasteland game session, but they all make ArmA3 crash. Any ideas what would cause this?

The mission is buggy as gently caress and crashes constantly. It's fun when it works though :shobon:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
CHKilroy posted a quick fix for the crazy accurate AI that can be put into missions.

quote:

put this into init.sqf in the mission's folder and the ai will be smartish but inaccurate:

{_x setSkill 0.8; _x setSkill ["aimingAccuracy", 0.35];} foreach allUnits;

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I like puush.me because I can just press CTRL+SHIFT+U and instantly upload a file and then it sends the download link to the clipboard the second its done uploading.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
^ Yeah this will require decompiling of existing missions to fix. You can just add it to one of your missions though.

MrOnBicycle posted:

The terminator marksmanship will probably be addressed at some point. Didn't Kilroy already find a remedy to the extreme accuracy, while maintaining the A.I skill?

CHKilroy on Teamspeak posted:

put this into init.sqf in the mission's folder and the ai will be smartish but inaccurate:

{_x setSkill 0.8; _x setSkill ["aimingAccuracy", 0.35];} foreach allUnits;

VarXX fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 9, 2013

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

There's most likely going to be a ton of similar Day Z mods to Arma 3, although I look forward to seeing what they do with the standalone, I saw a bunch of work went into mocapping new animations, so they seem to be tooling around with the engine at the least.

One such mod is already in the works. http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=20823

Also bonus points for a bunch of bitter nerds mad about Zombies ~ruining their game~

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Mederlock posted:

Turn Post process effects all the way off. BOOM, no depth of field or motion blur or other dumb poo poo. And yes, we don't disable 3rd person

Unfortunately you also lose ambient occlusion when you do this :smith:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Do you have a link to that mod? I don't mind Depth of Field nearly as much as motion blur.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I think they included some anti-cheat in the dev build because the only servers that seem to have anti cheat on them also require the dev build.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Nalin posted:

This happened to me, but it was in a helicopter. I just had to fly using my keyboard with free-look enabled. Tapping ALT would correctly center my crosshairs so I was able to shoot stuff properly. Restarting my game client fixed it.

Double Tap Alt next time. Double tapping keys is how you get them to stick in Arma. So like double tapping K will keep the compass on screen, while double tapping alt will put you in mouse look until you double tap again.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

112MB patch just now. No change log though. A bit annoying.

I only got a 112MB patch on the development build.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Chortles posted:

Note that among the changes was the changing of the Ifrit (RED) classname from "O_Galkin_F" to "O_Ifrit_F", any goon using them in your missions should rename them in your mission.sqm files. Unfortunately, in this build apparently the Helicopter Showcase got hosed up...

Dunno if it's worth mentioning but my performance with that update seemed to greatly increase.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Hey, it keeps those casuals :argh: out of our game.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

wargames posted:

And everyone flees back to TS3.

And all is as it should be

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Rubber Slug posted:

What kind of i5? I have a 5850 and an i5 (750) and I get the worst performance imaginable.

I have a sandy bridge i5 (2500k) and i get 60FPS with the development build

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Fraser CDN posted:

Looks like we all just switched to Dev build, and dam it makes a huge impact on FPS.

Yeah, if you were experiencing any performance issues at all with Arma 3, move over to the dev build. The shadow optimizations made a huge impact. Enough to make Wasteland playable.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Last time I checked almost no servers use the dev build, so since you want to play multiplayer I'd stay away from it if I were you.

There's a decent amount of Dev servers now. There's just only a couple wasteland ones.

Jippa posted:

Yeah they did. I think it wasn't a hack it's an anti piracy thing that was freaking out about the wasteland files. I used to get it in arma 2 wasteland when I din't take away the dayz launch options from the .exe.

It was caused by people with the dev build joining stable servers and vice versa. It's fixed because you can't do this anymore.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 16, 2013

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is the dev build more or less stable than the non-dev one? It kind of sucks being halfway decent for a change, just for the client to crash in my face. :(

Crash fixes get put into the development build before stable, though at the same time has a risk of said fixes not working. They also put optimizations and new content into the development build first, but those too carry the risk of crashing, though would be fixed quicker than if they existed on the stable build. Basically if you want a constant stream of up to date patches, go with Development. If you want to wait a week or two between patches, stay with stable.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I don't think the game is currently using the Take on Helicopter flight model. They said the current flight model for helicopters was a placeholder.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Pretty sure it's the mission scripts on the server that affect client performance as I've played on a server that was getting 2FPS and I was still riding along at 60fps.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Steeltalon posted:

Does Natural Point not ship internationally? You also get a $20 off using Dslyexci's coupon code.

You get $20 off just going to the website actually. His coupon code really doesn't do anything to the final price. It always comes out the same. Try it yourself

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

The Bananana posted:

Played on a server last night in the Dev build that was running one of the missions, and here are my thoughts:

1. There is an intro music/psuedocinematic that can't be skipped and is super long and annoying

2. No Pilots can get into certain choppers until they've been in the server for 30 minutes. Disconnect? Restart that timer.

3. When you die, your dude cries out in a loud ( can be heard for clise to a km or more away) annoying moan every 10 15 seconds til he is revived or enough time passes, you're allowed to respawn.

4. Respawn timer isn't visible, so you just have to sit there, waiting till the map decides you've learned your lesson.

5. A.I. is killer. This is less a bad thing and more just an observation. I will note however that I was rtb after dropping off my chalk at the AO, and en route, BOTH of my door gunners got smoked. I was pulling about 200 kph and they still got picked out of my ghosthawk like it was nothing. Maybe that needs tweaking, idk.

Overall, I really like the alpha, have spent enough time in the beta to know I like these new vehicles and improved visuals, but I hope they smooth out these few things soon (maybe even by 25th since this is the potentially buggy dev kit we're playing on).

These are all things that are unique to Domination. It's not a dev mission.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Wow, better lock up that guy for espionage

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
People play the single player in Arma? :psyduck:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

VanOwen posted:

I have no bothered looking at modding for ARMA 2 or ARMA 3, did they significantly change how vehicle models/objects from 2 to 3? I am wondering how much effort it would be to bring over vehicles from 2 to 3.

It's kinda half assed and causes script errors, but you can bring all arma 2 content over to arma 3 already. You just copy your Arma 2/OA content folders over to the Arma 3 folder and load them as if they were a mod.

There's a script to do it automatically over here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151585-Forward-porting-ArmA-2-content-to-ArmA-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Ham posted:

Playing on one of the best servers available with 12 players on, seeing helicopters/UAVs stutter in the sky is a telling sign. The netcode is garbage right now.

Was this the UO servers because when I was playing with you the lag was pretty bad for me and way worse than any other server I've played on besides those lovely 404 Wasteland ones