Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Mordaedil posted:

I disagree with your assessment, but that's because I don't really consider Arma "games" to be enjoyed to play, in the same way you enjoy playing Counter-Strike or Quake or Half-Life.

I enjoy it because of it's complexities, and taking it away kinda takes away from what makes Arma different from Operation Flashpoint(current ones).

It's just not meant to be that kind of shooter, I feel.
Making the inventory system not offensively obtuse and having the soldiers be able to switch targets in less than an aeon won't turn the game into a fast-paced game with dudes headshotting foes while spinning in the air. It's not even a question of realism versus gameplay since the current lack of movement fluidity and aiming responsiveness makes urban warfare and CQC in particular almost impossible to perform realistically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Chortles posted:

This is what people trying to improve PVP in ARMA have to contend with.
:negative:
That's bizarre as gently caress. Why does he think that PVP makes all mission makers magically incapable of building anything other than deathmatch? How do you get that confused? Has he never actually played PVP in Arma before? Is he just attributing his irrational hatred of some other multiplayer shooters to all PVP ever?

quote:

I had been asking in the context of whether you could maintain a relatively high movement speed while using optics as with SMK, as well as MW3 (Stalker perk)/Black Ops II (Adjustable Stock attachment); that is, would I be able to still move at tactical pace even when aiming down the sights, the "no" to me signals that tactical pace is probably for the sake of hipfire.
This sounds really good not only for realism (you wouldn't take the time to aim through your sights in fast-paced CQC situations or the like), but also because of basic gameplay: now there's a choice between faster movement with less accurate shooting and slower movement with more accuracy.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Bohemia Interactive posted:

It will be possible to run Steam in Offline mode, and still play the game (with the exception of online services obviously, including multiplayer itself).
So does this mean that offline LAN multiplayer is out? Flashpoint and Arma have been a staple in our LAN parties, and not being able to continue with Arma 3 would be a bit of a bummer. Still, it is pretty much the only negative thing I can find in that announcement and far outweighed by Steamworks. gently caress Six Updater forever.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Carecat posted:

The only scifi technology was the underwater rifles, which sort of exist. Everything else exists in at least prototype form.
I was under the impression supercavitating ammunition was a real thing that works. I thought I had heard something about rail guns being in Arma 3, though, so that's probably the most scifi thing I can think of. And even those have existing real-world prototypes with serious research being made.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Fuuuck I doubt I'll have the money for a new computer in time.

Oh well, I'll just hope it won't be a horrible slideshow at minimum settings.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

It seems the BI Store is working again. I finally got the game bought.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Wicaeed posted:

And for those of us that are complete idiots, how do you activate multiple mods at the same time?

-mod=@modname,@modname or -mod=@modname@modname?

-mod=@modname1;@modname2

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

This is clearly a fantastic idea. What this game needs is for reloading to use the fantastically realistic Surgeon Simulator 2013 method of hand control.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

The lite version does not have modding or multiplayer, but has a limited scenario editor. No idea how limited the editor is or if it's possible to play single player scenarios by other people, but it'd be kind of dumb for them to restrict the game to the showcases and whatever the lite owner can cobble up.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah the AI are pretty ridiculous at times. I've been manually setting the AI skill and accuracy to more manageable levels on the couple of missions I'm working on, but it seems most missions on Armaholic aren't doing anything like that. Most of the low-player coops are hilariously badly made in other ways, as well.

I mean go download and try this, if he hasn't fixed it already. The way the tasks are set up is hilarious.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Hey, I've got a couple of small 4-man missions almost ready, they just require a bit of polish but are otherwise playable.

Not Your Job
A quick fireteam assault into some buildings, some defending, an ambush, and a fast extraction. Should be pretty fast-paced and action-packed.
Get the Stable-release version here, and the dev-build version here. The stable one is better tested and it seems the latest dev build dicked around with the terrain around the mission a bit, so I have no idea how that affects the gameplay.

Hillbilly Heroes
This is a longer mission, with a large variety of different ways to finish it. It involves making your way into Agia Marina, while BLUFOR forces are advancing towards the city, which is being defended by OPFOR. Both sides are hostile to the players, who need to get in the city through both the attacking and the defending forces to kill their targets, and then get away again.

Get the stable-release version here. The dev-build version has a weird but consistent crash at some point, which I haven't been able to fix.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

The spectator camera thing has night and heat vision and poo poo, so at least you can see stuff after you die during night ops.

Of course, the best alternative would've been to give the seagull NVGs, which should have been obvious to BI.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

The Lite version apparently has the Scenarios tab available now, so you should probably be able to play user-made single player missions as well.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Chortles posted:

The sniper scope ("Sniper Optical Sights") uses a mildot reticle and has two zoom levels with default keybinds of NumPad +/- (GoldenNugget is this what you meant by "change moa"?)
He probably meant adjusting for range, which is kind of in, but the progress is automated into directly choosing the range instead of having to consult a range table first. Personally I'd really like having to do range and wind adjustments by MOA using a range table, but I'm a bit :spergin: like that.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Remove the entire '-mod=' thing from the game's launch parameters in Steam.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Hey, if anyone is interested in testing a couple of missions, I'm going to be hanging out on the Camping the Stairs mumble for some hours. I've got three missions that should be near enough finished, but just need to get run through some testing to see if everything works in multiplayer and whether the difficulty is fine and so on.

I'm on the stable branch at the moment, but last I checked the switch over to the dev branch didn't break anything so I can do that pretty quickly if necessary. I'd rather stay on stable, though, since I get an annoying inventory bug on dev version.

EDIT: We're done. Turns out the AI is not affected by fog at all, so that scraps one mission entirely until they put that in. The others just need a working revive script. Anyone know of a good one?

Frosty Mossman fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 10, 2013

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus loving christ, does anyone know of a revive script that doesn't come bundled with amazing amounts of horrible bullshit? I just want something where a dude gets shot and then you can go revive him if you're not too late, and if he dies he is dead and not spawned into the ocean somewhere with no gear or stuck in a lovely custom spectate camera you can't turn.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah. All of my missions currently reduce the AI aiming accuracy to 0.25 and their aiming and spotting speeds to 0.5. It's somewhat better, but I'm debating whether to drop the spotting and aiming speeds even further down.

I really shouldn't have to drop AI skills to lower than 50% just to make them really good instead of godlike.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

If you don't have one, make a feedback tracker account, and search for the issue. I found this, which sounds like what you're describing except with AA missiles instead of grenades: the rotors get instantly destroyed, causing the helicopter to just plummet straight to the ground. If you think it fits, upvote it. If you think your issue is different and you don't find a similar one when searching, report it as a new issue.

As for the last point, I assume they have a lot of people working on a lot of different things and most of the ridiculous-sounding fixes are quick things that happen while working on more important things, or just easy fixes people work on to clear their head when they're stuck with a larger problem.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Conot posted:

Any goon mission makers, these tend to be pretty good times to get people to playtest your missions, so if you have a mission that you've been itching to watch people get wrecked by, and once we've figure out whose hosting, that could be fun.
I can't play on Thursday but I've got a few missions I wouldn't mind getting more testing on, and a couple more I could try to get ready for Thursday. They're mostly for a small group of 4-6 people since that's how many I've usually played with so I'm not sure how much use you can get out of them.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Conot posted:

I'm sure we'll have about that number at some point, no harm in trying them out.
Yeah I'll upload what I have after I've tinkered around a bit more with them. There have been some AI changes since I last played and I'm really not sure how they work now and whether I need to redo my AI skill changes entirely.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Conot posted:

I'm sure we'll have about that number at some point, no harm in trying them out.
I didn't get a whole lot done, so I have no entirely new and completely untested missions for you. Horrible, I know. I do have a couple of missions that are mostly ready, but which might be affected by recent AI changes and whatnot, so any testing and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hillbilly Heroes is about four idiot greek rednecks going on a vigilante quest to bring down a group of perceived traitors, and butting in to the middle of a large NATO assault on the way. It's a long mission of stealth with tons of options for your approach and strategy, but with the AI as it is and no revive scripts for now the length might not be a good thing. Also I'm afraid some of the AI changes might have made it completely unplayable.

Not Your Job is intended to be a quick combo of a fast assault, intense defense, and a pretty badass retreat for four players. The mission is pretty much ready, and unless the AI changes have significantly changed things should work pretty much as intended. I also quickly whipped up an 8-player variant, but I have no idea about the difficulty since I just randomly placed some more enemies to scale the difficulty a bit.

If you do play any of these, I'd really like to hear any comments or suggestions you come up with, especially if you encounter a bug or a script error or something.

NaDy posted:

Yeah I think he should change that to Americanized.

I haven't had the chance to play since beta started, but I'm definitely going to find some time to play wasteland again. Are there many eurogoons who play?
I'm in Europe, but won't have a ton of time to play for at least a couple of weeks. I'd definitely appreciate some more eurogoons to play with after I get some more time again, though.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

The Lock and Zoom separation thing was in the latest patch notes.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

But you are getting a full game, you are just getting the toolbox before it.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Are there any Wasteland servers that disable 3rd person view? I'm kind of liking it so far, but it's really dumb to be able to see over obstacles while you're perfectly hidden behind them.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Slashrat posted:

I think two of the UK Sa-Matra servers runs with the hardcore difficulty that disables 3rd-person view and spotted enemies being shown on the map among other things. I prefer to play on them as well for that reason.
Sweet, I thought I'd tried those already and got disappointed but apparently not. Best Wasteland session I've played so far.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Slashrat posted:

Am I just being stupid or is the RPG-42 iron sight hosed up? As a test I lined up a target on the airstrip at the 500 meter mark in the sight and the rocket only made it about 350 meters.
http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12797

Yeah apparently it's a known thing with the launcher and they're working on it.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

tooterfish posted:

If you mean the scroll menu, the devs have been suspiciously silent on the matter, even though it's one of the most popular tickets open right now.

If you mean the loving arcane AI squad commands, use your mic to talk to your mans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWIfB-aM7h4

Seriously, try it. It's so much better.

Edit: Here's a guy using VAC to manage his fireteam in a mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rlSXjCxkOA

GlovePIE is just as good though, they both use Windows voice recognition as far as I'm aware.
This is amazing, thank you. I might actually play some single player missions with AI in them now.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

My initial reaction on seeing this in the editor was that it must be a typo. Nope.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

And it's only taken them three games to fix it too! :v:

I really wish BIS would get some more competent sound engineers because I tried the AA platforms and the cannons for the NATO one sounded so unimpressive I was wondering if they had somehow associated the wrong sound to them.
I installed the work in progress JSRS sound mod the other day. Haven't played the dev build with it yet, since I can't join any multiplayer servers on it for some reason, but the stuff in the regular build sounds immeasurably better with it.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

There is indeed, a medic in ArmA 3 that works just like in 2. This time he insta cures you with beeps, futuristically.
Except lacking the bit where you can be critically wounded and dragged or carried to safety, since in Arma 3 you are either functional (if a bit wounded) or dead.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Pyrion Flax posted:

Are there any games in GMT friendly time slots? It seems like all the arma3 goons must be west coast or something because the mumble channel is dead most of the time for me, but there are probably games happening as soon as I am in sleepy bo-bo land.
I'm in Europe, but haven't had a chance to play this with goons yet. Add me on Steam ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/SniperParty/ ) and maybe we'll play a thing at some point.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

BIG HORNY COW posted:

I'm pretty impressed how much this helps my system. I bumped my view distance up to 2km and objects to 1.5 and it seems to run way smoother. I flew around Altis and didn't get any of that "chugs for a few seconds while you look in a new direction" stuff that usually happens when it tries to draw a bunch of models all at once.

Gonna give DUWS a go with it tomorrow.
I don't understand how you guys get better performance with this, it seems to lower my fps by somewhere around 10. Do you need to disable some stuff in game that sweetFX handles smoother or something?

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone know what the gently caress is up with my init scripts seemingly not running on all connected machines? A couple of missions I'm making modify the players' starting gear through scripts run from the units' init-line, and I get a weird error where different players see different equipment on some units.

In other news, I've just finished scripting Data Breach, an asymmetrical TvT mission where one team needs to set up a device in a certain area and defend it while the other tries to disable it, and would appreciate any feedback on how it plays if anyone gets a bunch of interested people together. It takes a maximum of 16 people, but should be playable with fewer though I have no idea how well it balances for any player count. Less than six people is very unlikely to work at all. Download link here.

I also finally finished Not Your Job, one of the 4-player coops I've been working on. Some of you might have played it with me before. Should provide some quick and varied small-scale infantry action.
Steam Workshop
Armaholic

Not Your Job also has an 8-player version I haven't balance tested yet, so if you've got the opportunity I'd really like some feedback on the difficulty or any bugs you might find. You can download the mission here.

VVV Yeah I have no idea why I didn't check that link. It's fixed now. The init problem isn't connected to any modules since no modules are used, I think it's got something to do with the way Arma initializes things not working in missions with tons of stuff in them or something.

Oh and a friend of mine just published a 4-player coop mission on Steam Workshop. It's fun.

Frosty Mossman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 19, 2013

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Who gives a poo poo about what other people are playing in the first place?

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Speaking of playing things, I've got a couple of hours free that I'm going to use by hanging out in the CTS mumble, making a mission, and maybe also playing some if people show up. I'm on the dev branch.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know what's different in the dev branch right now, I just switched over since the games fcn runs are on it and the problem I had with not being able to join any multiplayer games in dev seems to have disappeared at launch.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Is insurgency something I can play with a few bro's against AI? If so, which ones on the workshop are not buggy shitpiles?
Gonna shamelessly plug myself here and say that this one is a fun mission for up to 4 players.

This one by a friend of mine is also pretty fun, but you're going to need exactly the four people required to play it properly.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Vatek posted:

BTC revive is a custom script that adds first aid features that are currently missing from A3. When you die, you're considered to be critically wounded and a teammate can drag/carry your dead rear end to cover and revive you. Obviously if you're in a tank and it gets blown up this option isn't available. It's a fantastic script that should be included in pretty much every mission ever since BIS are basically retarded and don't have a baseline first aid module like A2 does.
It's ok, unless you want to not have respawns because then it is bugged as gently caress and respawns you anyway.

EDIT: I went to look at its thread on the BI forums in hopes he might have fixed the issues and I could use it, but he's just added in more features and welp:

GMJaken posted:

My group has noticed that we lose our binoculars/rangefinders whenever we are revived. It's actually been going on for a while now as far as updates to the script. Any chance of fixing this in the next release?

GMJaken posted:

New bug: Sometimes, when I go down, my Vest and Backpack items are replaced with Watches. Not just 1 for 1. It fills them with Watches. It also fills my empty space in my uniform with watches. If I switch vests, it fills the extra space with watches, infinitely. its happened twice, both times not using the new system.

And disabling respawn still doesn't work.

Also the dude is moving to another project and his time for this will be "very limited." :suicide:

Frosty Mossman fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Vatek posted:

Welp. It'd be nice to see a return of the official first aid module but I'm not holding my breath.
After posting that, I read the BI thread in its entirety, saw that the option marked "BTC_disable_respawn" wasn't even meant to disable respawn, only to remove the respawn prompt. The dev seems to have real difficulties understanding why anyone would want to disable respawning and also what would happen if you die, but setting lives to 1 and turning on a life limit should make it so you don't get any respawns. Hooray.

I then tested it with a friend, and after getting revived I found that everything I owned was replaced by infinite watches. Testing further, it seems the option to respawn with the gear you had when you died seems to also double as a switch for spawning endless amounts of timepieces, but if you turn it off it randomly deletes or adds magazines and grenades and other stuff you might have used. Also, whatever your settings, when you actually die your dude just rolls on his face and dematerializes, leaving you in a weird limbo in a lovely custom spectate camera (or if it's turned off, looking at a black screen for the rest of the mission).

I'll dick around with it a bit more tomorrow and might find a configuration that keeps your equipment as it was, and doesn't randomly add or remove things or make you a walking fountain of watches, but I am not particularly hopeful. If I do find it, I'll try to modify what happens when you die to maybe make it not as massively retarded.