Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

8lbsofanalsex posted:

I'm assuming the alpha is gonna be open for everyone?

I'm assuming you will need to preorder to enter in the alpha. An alpha of a Bohemia game is going to be pretty buggy, so I think they will prefer to have something more closed, controlled, and they have enough hardcore fans that will pay up to enter, no need to do it more open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chortles posted:

For me the argument (against what you believe Arma is "meant" to be) would be more difficult if VBS2 Personal Edition didn't exist. ;)
From the mouths of the Arma 3 creative directors, "Rocket" (Hall) and Dyslecxi...

quote:

Crowe: We need to quote that. Ivan Buchta: “Flashpoint is a terrible game!”

Buchta: But yeah, let’s face it, it’s a terrible game. Terribly inaccessible, hard, frustrating…

Hall: And people love it! I still get people saying, you know, when they found out I was working on Arma 3 multiplayer, friends of mine, one of my friends, he was like, are you going to make the campaign like Flashpoint? He’s like, seriously, I still play the campaign in Flashpoint…

Dslyecxi: They so over-romanticize it.

But they are wrong. It's not rose tinted glasses, it's that the Ofp campaign is worlds better than Arma 1 and Arma 2 campaign. It's much more longer, much more varied, with a more interesting plot and twists, more epic, and with memorable missions (who doesn't remember Montignac Must Fall, or the mission where you have to run away and use the night sky to orientate yourself, or the amphibious invasion mission).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The difference, I think, between the original Flashpoint and their games now, it's the focus. I think the focus of Ofp was the single player experience/campaign (even if it had lots of extra functionality), while now the focus it's on making a "toolbox game" with editor, modules, custom content, multiplayer, etc, and the campaign is more a (relative) footnote.

They (or at least lots of their fans in the official forum) don't understand there are lots of people that don't want a freaking toolbox. They don't buy games to then make a game for themselves, they want an already done game. In fact sometimes they use it as an excuse to some of their game faults ("yes, it's true that OA campaign is short, but you can make your own missions with the editor!" "yes, we don't have feature x, but you can imitate it through scripting!") which is missing the point.

And while you can download user made missions to skip the "make it yourself", it's not exactly ideal, you have to search for it, sometimes with the addons requisites it's a pain in the rear end to run them, and more important, lots of user made missions just SUCK.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

I thought as much. What a bizzare thing to get indignant about.

Buuut, buut it will totally destroy their realistic immersion when they are being shot by 'invented' firearms with a made-up name, instead of a real AK or M16 properly labelled as such, even if functionally they are the same!!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

simosimo posted:

34 quid? I thought if we buy into the alpha we get it dirt cheap?

It's not $50-60.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

fuckpot posted:

Joined.

I have not used irc in years. What is the best bare-bones client these days?

There was a Firefox extension that was an IRC client in a tab. Search for it, if you use FF.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jippa posted:

Chatzilla is what I use.

That's the one! I wasn't at home to look the name.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

keyframe posted:

Seriously. If yesterday you told me BI will release a alpha that will run solid 60 fps and not crash while looking and controlling great I would have laughed at your face after playing arma 2 and dayz.

I am extremely impressed with how good the game looks and controls.

They need to port dayz to arma 3 asap.

People who comment on performance without claryfing

a)their specs
and
b)their graphical settings
and
c)the average FPS

should go to hell. :/

/looks around

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

An interesting detail is that we now have control of not only the distance vision but the object distance vision and the shadow distance vision (just looking at the pc gamer video).

It would be nice if someone takes the bullet and make a detailed report of the FPS at different combinations. Like (going to a point with a good panorama)

1. Distance 2K, rest at default
2. Distance 4K, rest at default
3. Distance 4K, object 2.5K, shadows 300m
4. Distance 1.5K, object and shadow sliders at maximum

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This post from a gaffer (that have a beast of a machine) should clafirfy things

quote:

Man you can quickly see how CPU limited this game is.

48 FPS looking at a huge landscape.

Add 120% internal rendering, 4xAA, SMAA High

48 FPS still.

150% internal rendering, 8xAA, SMAA Ultra

49 FPS. ( Don't ask )

I currently have so much GPU overhead it's insane.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Remember we still don't have dedicated servers. Once they get it out, the MP performance will improve.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chortles posted:

Hell, we're still stuck with the action menu and number-row/function-keys squad commanding instead of number-row weapons/equipment. :ughh: Although at least the spacebar in the Arma 3 keybinds preset is basically the "context-sensitive action" key instead of just Enter/Return, and I intend to rebind the "long gun/sidearm swap" key to something close to my left hand or to a mouse button.

Hey, it actually makes sense!

In Arma games, you have your main rifle, your pistol (which 99% of the time is left unused) and maybe an AT launcher.
In the other hand, there is a good number of orders, it's not exactly 3 or 4.

So it makes sense to assign the order system to the number row, because there are 10 of them, and not to waste 10 keys to weapon assignmet because this isn't Quake or Half Life where you equip and use 10 weapons.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jippa posted:

Any seagull updates?

Yes:

Cross-joining default and Development branch disabled in MP

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

bartkusa posted:

This is horseshit.

What the gently caress does "3" mean? How the gently caress am I supposed to remember "0-8" gets me to the support menu?

As far as I'm concerned, every game should use Tribes's VGS system. :colbert:

Same way you remember "3" is "shotgun" in other games??

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Triggs posted:

I was just surprised they allowed helicopters to do barrel rolls and flips without much penalty. For a game claiming to be ultra realistic that's about as far from aerodynamically correct as you can get.

Actually, it never claimed to be ultra realistic simulator.
They always had lots of concessions, like unlimited sprint, third person camera, crosshairs, and lots of indicators to help people like the enemy tags. And that's the more "realistic" part, the infantry side, their vehicles always have been kind of simplified, both in controls and functionality.
Their fans always have been more mil-spergy than them :P.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Operation Flashpoint CWC is great, of course. Someone commented the Rearmed2 mod for Arma 2, but it's incomplete... but you can try the Rearmed for Arma 1, which is complete, with the original and the Resistance campaigns, and with better graphics thanks to the Arma 1 engine!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sylink posted:

The FPS in this game is awful for a modern game.

Usually, it's the other way around. The more modern the game, the better the graphics, the worse FPS you will have. ;)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

"Fish should be less inclined to travel on land"
:geno:

"Seagull in "BIRD", "GROUP" and "SIDE" respawn replaced by a basic spectator camera"
Can someone translate what this actually means?

If they changed the fact that you respawn as a bird after running out of lives and get to fly around then gently caress this game forever, i'm out.

Word.

The seagull is a classic of the series! :P

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not a gun-goon, but aren't actual rifle sniper range from 9x to 12x? The 80x seems a big jump.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mederlock posted:

At the 300$ price point they're aiming at, bar an amazing breakthrough in HMD screen technology, the increase in quality/resolution is likely to be minimal. Regardless, the odds of it being supported in Arma 3 at or near release is slim to none

2x the pixel amount is minimal?

Everything points out to the consumer version using a 1920x1080 screen (it will be something cheap in a year, as now lots of highend smartphones or tablets use that resolution).

dev version 1.024.000 pixels
1920x1080 2.073.600 pixels

And you can count also a better panel quality (ghosting, colors, constrast, etc). $300 is a lot if you take in account the Oculus Rift it's just a screen with some glass lenses, a position sensor that cost a few bucks an a strap. There is no cpu, ram, gpu, battery, camera, gsm chip, antennas like in a smartphone.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 30, 2013

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mederlock posted:

Regardless if it's one screen or two, Arma will never get a steady 60+ FPS at that resolution, even on one of them, unless you have a beefy as gently caress computer with rock solid missions and a great server. Don't get me wrong, I think the OR is a fantastic concept, and I hope it comes to fruition. I'm just sick and tired of all the fanboys that lose sight of reality when it comes to the Rift.

Oh, of course the Rift isn't ideal for Arma.

More exactly, because shooting at someone at 250mts with ironsights with a low resolution will be impossible.

But you didn't say that. You did say the resolution increase was minimal in the comsumer version, which isn't true. You could say you were "losing sight of reality when it comes to the Rift". Funny how that works.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Am I the only one who has a noticeable worse framerate in Arma 3? Because playing helicopters missions with 15-20fps isn't fun! I lower the detail and nothing, it's clearly the cpu use.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DarthJeebus posted:

Turn AA to off or very low.

Edit: Use PPAA instead. The downside to disabling AA is that trees and grass look like poo poo, but I picked up at least 20fps from doing it.

Heh. I already have the AA turned off. Doesn't matter, the problem is the cpu usage. I have an old q6600 (@3.1ghz). Still, the game at medium detail doesn't look that different from Arma 2, and Stratis is smaller than Chernarus or Takistan so I don't know why I have 50% less performance.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mederlock posted:

It is most definitely your CPU causing this problem, as the Real Virtuality is infamous for being demanding in this regard (as well as in I/O performance, most notably your HDD). Besides, that CPU is pretty much ancient by today's standards, you should check out the parts picking thread :v:

I know, I know, I will buy a new computer... but with the new consoles coming this year, I wanted to wait until Q1 2014.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mederlock posted:

Well, the Xbox One is going to be loving awful and draconian with its privacy breaching, and the PS4 looks promising, but you know, :sony:

You misunderstood me: I'm not going to buy a console, I'm pc exclusive gamer, but I don't want to buy new hardware until the new consoles are released and we have 8 core cpus and gpus with 8GB of ram.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I hate the W+S to walk in the standard controls, otherwise is a pretty decent control scheme.

I wonder if they will fix the action menu, it's unchanged from Ofp/Arma 1/Arma 2.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chortles posted:

Also, regarding that whole "balancing" drama due to AI:

I hope some day, after so many years, they "balance" the unrealistic sight and hearing from the AI under several conditions.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chortles posted:

Well, this one's a first for the series: the SP campaign will now be post-release free DLC.

Ugh. What a bad decision. I don't want a toolbox, I want a drat full game. User missions are usually mediocre and public MP (Domination, Wasteland) is ewww.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

simosimo posted:

I got stuck in BAF when you had to defend a little compound in a canyon and armoured cars came ASWELL as mortars, god it's like the 3rd mission in give me a break.

You lot of pussies. :P That was a hard mission, yeah, but perfectly doable. The key was dividing your forces, and rushing to kill the mortar with a vehicle leaving the rest of forces defending the base.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

In September, we're launching Arma 3 across digital and retail stores worldwide with new singleplayer, multiplayer and sandbox content along with our crown jewel, the Altis terrain. You can check out the details of our launch content over here. Our campaign, however, will be made available across 3 free episodes after release.

Supplied as free DLC to everyone who owns the game, the first episode, Survive, will be available within the first 4 weeks of launch. The Adapt and Win episodes follow in the months thereafter. Read on for our rationale behind this move and for some new details about our release package.

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/394-survive-adapt-win

http://www.arma3.com/launch-countdown

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I am kinda disappointed that BIS haven't apparently made a future version of the Osprey for Arma 3. :( Seems like the perfect opportunity to make an armed version or something in the likes of that considering their current designs and such.

A mini Ac-130 Spectre. I like the idea!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

http://beta.arma3.com/sitrep-00022

Altis coming to the dev branch next Monday

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Keeku posted:

The Arma3 launch taught me I would be a terrible tank commander.

I remember when we believed this stuff would be fixed with the Physx implementation...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So the netcode didn't get much if any improvement between the dev and launch?

In 48 hours? No, I don't think so.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't like Domination, Evolution, CTI, Warfare, Wasteland, or "xx Life", get on my level people!

I dislike "open, too big, never ending missions with generic goals" in general. I like having a concrete objective, trying to do it, and having the possibility of failing it and then it's game over.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lohli posted:

This is pretty much why I fell in love with the game after getting into Arma 2 initially for dayz, because besides the old battlebus video everything I'd heard about the game made it out to be a super serious business milsim but it turned out that the game is only as serious as you want it to be, and it turns out that you can make it very not-serious. I think some of the life missions are a great example of how you can inject something as silly as a children's game of cops and robbers into this game that sells itself as being a primo milsim.

Oh, that's something... funny about Arma. In theory it's a hardcore pc game, a military simulator but in practice the public multiplayer community is surprisingly casual. Most servers play coop missions (which is not the same challenge as having humans as enemy), which infinite spawn system (oh you died... just spawn again!), with free or almost free loadouts (do you want a sniper rifle with thermal vision and at launcher? go for it!), with 3rd person unlocked, etc etc. People enter in the server with the mission in progress, go and clean a pair of towns and/or a pair of dynamic objectives, say goodbye and quit.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Flaky posted:

Arma 3 benchmarks from Techspot. Interesting to note in the comments that new PhysX enabled particles are in the works. Also this review seems to suggest that both CPU and GPU optimisation is quite good in Arma 3, which seems to contradict the consensus on the forums.

From the methodology section

quote:

We will use Fraps to measure frame rates during 90 seconds of gameplay footage from Arma's Infantry Showcase. Before starting the test, we plan to turn the difficulty down to the easiest level ("Recruit") and then further handicap the AI by setting its skill level to 0. This should let us pass the AI without dying for consistent results.

Infantry showcase is very little demanding. It's just three small infantry skirmishes, and in the small island, not in Altis.

A bigger, combined arms mission in Altis has much worse performance, and if you have a role in Air (chopper pilot) is even worse.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah I have been saying the same for years. The AI can have a visual contact that humans can't have, like for example the edge of a shoulder that stick out behind a tree trunk 130 mts away, in the middle of forest. Technically there was a clear line of vision but in truth the visual noise in a forest together the small target to see and the distance all combined would make the odds of doing the same so small, almost null.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's always funny when your own self (the soldier you are controlling) still call targets "he" sees, and you the player still can't see poo poo in the direction your AI-self is saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dominic White posted:

I've seen people claim 'cheating omnipotent AI' in any game where the AI has a chance of firing without visual confirmation. A lot of players assume that it's shooting directly at them, rather than at a last known location.

It's only when you add loud AI barks like 'I can't see him! Suppressing!' or radar mechanics letting you see their facing and AI states do you see these complaints minimized.

Nahh, it isn't that.

That happens when you are engaged with the AI, you move to run away or hide or change places, and the AI try to guess your actual location with a mix of random chance and educated guess, firing to that position.

What I was complaining at first is the first visual contact.

It can't be suppressive fire because it doesn't make sense the AI firing at random if it wasn't in combat in first place.

edit: though "very accurate hearing", without visual contact, is also a problem in Arma. Shot one single shot with a sniper rifle 500 mts away and they seem to have your general position with a 25º of accuracy. I think in real life you hear a sudden farway sniper shot and the only thing you can determine is "it came from my left" or "it came from my right". A 180º arc.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 26, 2013