Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dilettante. posted:

Madness. Still, it will be a shame if Addon makers quit making stuff over something so inconsequential.

Not one of the super spergs is going to quit over steam. Whether they like it or not they'll have to deal with one form of digital distribution or another with everything within the next few years. If anything it's going to be ARMA3 that brings them into the fold, mostly because they can't possibly resist NOT trying to mod it to be even more ridiculously milsim than it already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

Like I said before, why bother with ethnic diversity (and sheer amount of faces to choose from) in the game. Could just have one face with one skin colour. Or one face with multiple colours. After all, it's just aesthetics.

With the transport chopper you're basically stuck pulling the trigger and looking for a ground impact, then walking your fire onto your target. Use the minigun impacts as a rough aimpoint for your rockets. You're not sniping dudes, you're making it rain nasty poo poo all over.

(This sucks and they need to implement a floating crosshair that you can see in your helmet mounted display. It should be static and only appear when your HMD is covering the area near the crosshair for extra TrackIR futurey HUD awesome.)

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Switched.on posted:

The rudder pedals will not turn you on their own if you are making any speed, really. To make a sharp turn, you need to bank your chopper and pull up gently while leaning on your rudder.

This. I find rudder pedals are mostly for keeping your nose pointed on your actual flight path at slower speeds as you'll tend to drift slightly coming out of turns that bleed a lot of airspeed.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ, a 10x-85x scope? Most spotting scopes don't go that high. I don't give a poo poo if it is from the magic land of 2035, something like that should practically double the weight of the rifle it's mounted on.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bondematt posted:

If I had to guess they meant 10x85, so the 85 is the aperture size and the 10 is the magnification.

That was my first thought, but thinking about every other scope in the game convinced me otherwise as everything is over magnified. Through a real 20x sight the hood of a car, standing vertical, painted white, and sitting in an open field is pretty drat small at 1500m (that's nearly a mile). If that sight zeros out to 2300m then I'm sure it's zooming way past 20x so the player has a chance of hitting something. At 85x zoom the game would basically turn into a bench rest simulation with your reticle jumping around from your heartbeat alone, but I'm sure they'll handwave that with futuretech. Also with an 85mm objective you're transcending rifle optic and strapping an astronomy telescope to your rifle.

Honestly it doesn't matter, I'll still use the poo poo out of it, but as someone who shoots long range for fun reading about a 10-85x sight broke my brain.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 24, 2013

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Best bug ever. My hats keep randomly changing every time I load a mission I'm testing in the editor.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

There is a setting to turn mouse lag off, I think.

Turning off Mouse Acceleration in the options helps make things a little less "floaty".

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

This may help you but it's also related to anyone complaining of unfair AI.

There are difficulty sliders in the game options to make enemies less good for your singleplayer games.

If you want to create your own mission with AI that shoots a little more reasonably then do this:

1.) Create the mission in the editor, save it and name it, doesn't matter if it's finished or not, you can come back and keep working on it later.
2.) On the Windows Desktop navigate to the "c:\user\username\documents\arma3\missions\missionname.islandname" folder (assuming you use default settings here).
3.) Create a new .txt file in the root of the mission folder, and paste in the following:
code:
{
_x setSkill ["aimingspeed", 0.1];
_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 0.2];
_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.2];
_x setSkill ["aimingshake", 0.5];
_x setSkill ["spottime", 0.2];
_x setSkill ["courage", 0.35];
_x setSkill ["commanding", 0.4];
_x setSkill ["general", 0.3];
_x setSkill ["reloadspeed", 0.4];
_x setSkill ["endurance", 0.5];
} forEach allunits;
4.) Save the file as "init.sqf" (make sure you don't inadvertently name it "init.sqf.txt")
5.) You can now continue to edit your mission and these settings will stick with that mission until you save it under a new name (just move the init.sqf file to the new mission folder if you do).
6.) Enjoy Arma 3 with enemies that generally shoot like scared 20-somethings who don't want to be in a foreign country (but they'll still kill you in numbers or if you're retarded).

You can tweak the values to your liking, higher being better in all categories as far as we know. Learn how to use the "Foreach" scripting command and you can apply different skill settings to each side, specific groups, or individuals if you want to spice things up and make them less predictable. It's also worth a mention that Arma only reloads these values when you load your mission into the editor. You can't just have the file open, tweak values, save the .sqf, then alt-tab back into Arma and hit preview. You'll need to save your mission, load a different mission or just clear it, then reload your previously saved mission. At that point the engine will re-read all the mission specific .sqf files and you'll be all set with your new values.

I personally find that an aimingaccuracy of < 0.2 is just more fun. Sub 0.15 starts to get a little ridiculous, but if you're making a longer more narrative driven coop or single player mission it really helps keep things from being excessively frustrating and keeps the tension jacked up with rounds cracking everywhere. The other values just come down to how it feels in game. Setting a low Spotdistance doesn't mean you'll go unnoticed at long range if you're doing something dumb like sprinting through an open field in your underwear, but it can also make things like ambushing the AI a lot more entertaining since they'll typically not notice you if you're reasonably well hidden.

You can also UnPBO exiting missions and add these lines to their init.sqf folder for the same effect.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 16, 2013

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think that's why I enjoyed Op Arrowhead so much, the move to more city environments separated by large open areas really cut down on the obvious AI issues. At least in a city environment (and this appears true in ARMA 3 as well) the solid walls prevent "questionable" spotting, and the AI's relentless hunting of you seems more appropriate given that it's a lot easier to predict where someone might be heading in a constrained environment. I almost never played the main island in ARMA 2 because of the shoot through vegetation problem and general spotting issues.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SERPUS posted:

I've been digging around the DUWS pbo and found something interesting: the strongest enemy unit you'll ever encounter is a mechanized recon unit. At something like 135 OPFOR army rating is when they start spawning.

I was really hoping that this mission could eventually escalate into battles between tank columns with massive infantry maneuvers and air support, but in the current state it won't.

I recently cracked DUWS open and saw the same thing. I'm in the process of trying to play with the enemy skill levels, it looks like if the unit has a 0.3 skill, it sets all the AI skills to .3 across the board instead of just accuracy. Effectively this means if you choose a lower skill level for the OPFOR you get drooling retards who have reasonable accuracy, or if you pick the higher levels you get terminators that spot you miles away and wreck you. I've found the better mix is to set most of the observation skills to medium-high levels and accuracy and aiming shake really low. You get longer range engagements and enemies that actually defend themselves, but don't one-shot you from 800m.

That said, it doesn't look too hard to add additional enemy group types as well.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SERPUS posted:

I tried adding tanks, but they are drooling retards no matter what. I made it so the most common enemy spawn > 15 AR would be 2 OPFOR tanks. Regardless of the AI skill, every time I approach the tanks they just sit there with their turrets pointed up into the sky, shooting parabolic trajectories that hit the ground where I was 5 minutes ago.

Are you sure you're not adding the self propelled artillery? That sounds more like their M.O.

You'd have to be miles away for a MBT to actually arc a round out to you successfully. Their main-guns have a relatively flat trajectory out to near 2km and I don't think their barrel elevation can get high enough to noticably arc unless you're way, way out there.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 25, 2013

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Commandante posted:

I think so too. There needs to be more auditory and visual feedback from AI to make it seem like there is a thought process going on rather than skynet like murder machines.

There's also the problem of the hive mind effect where if one guy sees you the entire enemy side (maybe an overstatement, but definitely his entire squad) zeros in on you in milliseconds.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Flaky posted:

Perhaps players are also just unfamiliar with being suppressed themselves? Superficially it is quite similar to 'being shot at and missed'. There was basically no concept or use of suppression in first person shooters, at least that I can think of, either you were hit or the other guy had 'missed', and you kept shooting until either of you 'hit'. It could be that the AI is simply suppressing the last known location, and people are getting impatient because they haven't been 'hit' yet and trying to move immediately like they would in other games, and therefore being hit. The thing which characterizes 'good' players in Arma generally seems to involve them being more cautious or cool-headed under fire than average, FrankieonPC in Day Z for example.

The problem with suppression fire in FPS's is that there's no fear of imminent bodily harm that's motivating you to keep your head down. Death carries little to no weight, so the use of fear of death as a motivator is completely worthless. The AI definitely isn't suppressing in the traditional sense as they won't fire unless they've seen you and if you duck behind a solid object and completely obscure yourself they'll stop almost immediately.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

ARMA3 is downloading a 280mb patch for me on Steam. Does this mean the new stable branch is out? I was on the dev branch, does it switch me to the regular or does it stay on dev and download the next dev branch whenever they put it out? I'm new at this opt-in stuff. :shobon:

If you're on dev you'll see 100MB+ updates almost every other day.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 26, 2013

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Apparently the Dev track just released the first version of shooting from vehicles. I know deep down the first dozen iterations of this will be terrible, jittery, and unusable, however this is something everyone has wanted since OFP. I'm stuck at work and can't mess with this for 6 more hours and need someone else to provide a trip report stat.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Surprisingly enough it seems BIS has got a pretty good handle on both of these features (Sling loading/shooting from). I was honestly a bit surprised at the apparent quality of the features when I watched some of the videos on them. Bugs will be bugs, obviously, but it's a lot better than I was expecting.

Now I'll just need to figure out how to get that isPersonTurret working so I can update the edge seats on the 60's I've been using.

Chortles; RE VBS3: <3

I got to mess with the FFV feature last night and I was actually shocked how well it worked. It seems like they put some arbitrary limits on aiming zones so you don't accidentally shoot the guy next to you/your own vehicle, but I think they'd be better off giving you just a bit more freedom and let you take the chance of putting a few through the tailgate of the offroad (currently you can't really aim "down" when you're in the bed of the truck, so shooting anything close to the truck, or other car's tires, is terrain dependent).

My only real complaint is that it's almost too smooth. In the helicopters it's actually ok (minus that weird intermittent intense 'turbulence' shake), but in the ground vehicles it gives a bit of a floaty feeling with the sights so stable. Maybe if they add a low grade camera shake that increases with the speed of the vehicle (and/or the surface it's driving on would be awesome) it would round it out nicely. Something like that would also make holos/reddots infinitely more useful in those scenarios.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I want to mod the Altis map with the Maxtide set higher for a few missions I'm running with friends. I've scripted small missions since OFP, however I've never dove into making what's basically a mod before and I'm running into a roadblock on this one.

I've got so far as to successfully unpbo the map_altis.pbo file and update the config file properly (convert to cfg, adjust maxtide, then convert back to bin), and I was able to repackage the new mod as "altis_flood.pbo".

I drop the file into the arma root directory in a folder named @altis_flood, and I trigger Arma to launch using the -mod=altis_flood switch. In the game config I see "Altis_flood" in the expansion menu as active.

The problem is it doesn't actually show up as a selectable map in the editor, and I'm guessing it's because I need to change something else (probably multiple things) in that config.bin file to make it "unique" from the existing Altis map other than the name of the PBO.

Anyone have any experience around something like this that can point me in the right direction?

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How did the best multiplayer mode award go to "King of the Hill"?

I'll be straight up and say I've never played this version, but I thought the contest was about generating new and unique content, not rehashing a mode that's been in pretty much every adversarial multiplayer game since 1996. I'll assume that it's highly polished, but it just seems like they awarded people to fill a logical gap in their game mode coverage, not come up with a new and unique way to utilize the crazy ARMA sandbox.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If they haven't 100% solved the AI "see through poo poo it shouldn't and murders you anyway" issue by the time that releases it won't even be worth it.

That said, I want this so bad.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 12, 2015

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

kikkelivelho posted:

e: access seems to depend on what license you have right now. Steam says I have Apex but Arma 3 still says I need to buy it.

I bought Apex pretty much the day it popped up on Steam and it still prompts me to purchase. I was pumped when I saw it was up...such a tease, even for dev branch.

If the thread on BI's site is anything to go by, only a tiny fraction of people can actually access it successfully. The rest are in meltdown mode.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 6, 2016

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Why the gently caress did Bohemia choose to make this bullshit near future stuff up.

God drat,

I wouldn't mind thermals if they acted more like real weapon mounted thermal sights. Right now ARMA treats the rifle mounted thermal cameras like a massive multi-lens (ultra expensive) police helicopter style thermal sensor rig, zooms are optical, and your resolution remains the same as you flip between zoom levels. Almost all existing weapon mounted sights use a single size lens and digital zoom, so each time you zoom in, you're just punching in on your existing resolution. If your primary sensor is 640x480 (right now L3's military high end military offering is only 640x480, at least the publicly known version), by the time you're at 4x digital zoom you're looking at a large blurry 160x120 image. If their were 2 or 3 thermal scopes in the game and each came with it's own fixed zoom level (say, 1x, 2.5x and 5x scopes) and you could digital zoom in an additional 2x and 4x the original zoom, then it'd be great. It would also be important to limit the actual resolution of the thermal to 640x480, or maybe some fictionally higher 800x600 or something, but never higher. As it stands now, if you have a 4k monitor you have 4k thermal resolution, which means you're insanely overpowered. If you limit the scope's resolution, you get a real trade off for the detection benefit, and if you do want detail at range, then your FoV is tiny because you're forced to be zoomed WAY in. In reality there should be a massive resolution drop unless you have a multi lens system, which should be only be on select vehicles. I guess you can explain it away as *2035 MAGIC*, but goddamn is it game breaking on personal weapons.

I own thermal cameras, and I've hunted with them on the rifle and in monocle form and even the ones with 640x480 sensors still aren't magic people finders to the degree they are in ARMA. I'd love to see some of the realworld limitations find their way into the game and lower the god mode bonus they provide.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 7, 2016

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GoldenNugget posted:

Tanoa looks nice and I can't wait to do jungle scenarios. It's just going to be an AI nightmare with ai getting stuck on all the geometry and hacking ai with all that foliage. It also feels like arma runs a bit worse in forest environments.

The most inaccessible part of ARMA has always been the lack of situational awareness and these jungles just scream confusion. I mean, it's cool and all, but drat that's going to be special levels of unfun with AI spotting you days before you can find them. It really looks amazing though.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

As alluded to previously, descriptions have been found though not their visual appearances other than the water scooter and civilian turboprop from the reveal trailer, that one former BISim lead artist's civilian off-road, and a VTOL (and possibly a new RHIB?) in the official Apex artwork:

The aforementioned civilian stuff makes four out of ten mentioned in the 'datamined' text while the remaining six are a VTOL, a UAV, and a LSV each for both BLUFOR and OPFOR.

It's worth mentioning that the VTOL appears to be C-130 size (or close) and have multiple variants including a gunship, 30-person infantry carrier, and a version that can carry a small vehicle internally

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

That CSAT VTOL smacks of S.H.I.E.L.D, which I'm kinda ok with. I dig that the new NATO AR's are basically flattop M4's though.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

Probably because it's Apex's new NATO UAV.

It's amazing what you can do with aerodynamics when you don't have to design around all that equipment keeping us squishy humans alive and in control.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wish they'd just reduce the effectiveness of thermals instead of adding more stuff to negate them.

I'm on Tanoa staring at a tin roof car port at 12 noon and it's the same dull grey midrange temp as everything else in shot, except my gloved hand which is inexplicably blazing white. They really just need to add ambient environmental thermal textures to as many objects as possible and link their strength to the position of the sun.

Also you can turn on thermals in the gear editor if you want to play around with stealth combos and see their effectiveness from every direction easily.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 15, 2016

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Brick Dust Otis posted:

This seems like it would be either extremely loving hard or as simple as having a hidden lightmap only thermals can see.

I'm almost certain that thermals already see an alternate texture map (I could be very wrong about this as I've never looked at the textures myself). I just think different materials should show a brighter thermal texture during the day, and have it slowly fade down at night. Rocks get really hot, but generally cool off quickly, plants don't get as hot, but don't vary as much day to night, etc...I know there's already a "material" value(s) to determine what kind of sounds/penetration properties an object has, so just base the scaling values off those and you've at least got SOME semi-specific variations that bring the thermal landscape to life.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, I knew 5.56 was "bad" in this game, but the SPAR-16 puts that in full focus. I haven't played with any 5.56 rifles in awhile, and it's comically ineffective against any type of body armor, to the point of being completely useless.

It's kinda fun that the superlight recoil lets you basically magdump on anyone within 100m if you're braced, but when they're regularly taking multiple 3-6 round bursts and shrugging them off, and then shooting you in the face, it's borderline rage inducing.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 22, 2016

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gibfender posted:

Maybe shoot them in the face first?

These aren't zombies, you shouldn't need to make headshots 100% of the time for your rifle to be effective. Even then, landing hits at > 100m (without highly magnified optics) is hard enough aiming center mass, so good luck stopping anyone at range.

It's also made worse by the fact that switching to the SPAR-17 turns the game into old school Rainbow Six where you're dropping dudes in one or two shots. The power gap is just insane.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

If BIS is so adamant about their broken body armor system could they please just add in better wounding mechanics and maybe have people fall down instead of spazz out like a star citizen model when they get shot

I'd even settle for a random chance to be forced prone on a hit. I believe they already get a fairly significant suppression penalty for a moment after a hit, so while the body armor keeps them alive, it doesn't keep them 95% combat effective until the moment they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

On the topic of the Eden editor, how can I set a helicopter/jet's state to "Flying" at mission start? Cant figure it out!

If you right click on the vehicle and go to the "transform" menu I believe there's a "Set to Flying Height" option for flight capable vehicles.