Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Jesus christ, good loving job.

You've come a long way.

I've played in a turbo 6 speed baja and it was a bonkers vehicle all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

When you put on those HTS's. DON'T IMPACT THE NUT ON. I put them on my legacy and loving three of them clunk and I don't know why. I impacted the nut on so maybe that did it I don't loving know but I don't want them to clunk but I don't want to deal with it. They say not to in the install instructions.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

They're what? 7 turn I think?

start at 3 or 4 all around, and bounce test. If things bounce too much stiffen 'em up. The front should be one turn firmer due to the engine weight. Take it for a drive. I think my legacy is at like 3 turns out front and one turn out rear because the rear was bouncing like crazy and just stupid, but then again I don't know if I broke them with the impact.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Bajaha posted:

And since AI seems to be more and more interested in the pets and there is an overabundance of cats it seems, here's Delta looking oh so interested in my work.

That is a funny looking cat.

Good job op. Slam that slutty motor back in and go make turbo wooshy sounds soon please

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Did you have any issues with turbo fitment around the firewall? I'm thinking of selling my 3rd gen sedan for a 3rd gen wagon and just dropping in a turbo motor and doing the wiring in my apartment because I hate money and myself.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm not going to convert the part numbers into what is what, but I will say, skip the front arms and go with more bushings.

You can get prothane front rear diff bushings for cheaper off amazon. I went with the rear inserts from prothane instead of the whiteline replacement because cheaper and I didn't want to get the stock ones out.

If you do not already have them, BUY THE TRAILING ARM BUSHINGS. Those are the #1 best mod you can do on any subaru IMO. Such better pedal response.

Also if you are going for a separate rear subframe, I believe its proflex that makes the 4x mount bushings poly for the subframe. I have an excel spreadsheet at work with all the bushing and part #s so on monday I can look them up for you.

Also install your ALK

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

God drat.

When you have that figured out, I should mail a set to :canada: to have you retrofit.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

As a guy who spilled gear oil in the back of a Subaru, what you want to do is go to Wal-Mart, in the home air freshener section, and get an armful of $5 Air Sponges. Pop one open every three weeks and it should absorb most of the stench.

On the way home from picking up my replacement trans, the transmission tipped over in the back of my moms ford escape and farted all the gear oil out the axle hole.

Had to rip the carpet out and pressure wash it and it still smells.

Happy mothers day mom

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

What up grill light bro:

Also I think I have you beat on axles. I'll find out when I go through storage and assemble a spares bin this week.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Your rear subframe is still installed. My sympathy is depleting.

Yes the rear bolts like to seize, but you can get around that with a sawzall and new bolts/bushings. I'll be doing that soon on my wagon and plan to use the whiteline rear adjustable arms and new bolts. I really want to replace my rear subframe though as it is pretty flexy. No holes yet though.

Congrats on the 6 speed though. In addition to being able to slam gears like an rear end in a top hat, you also get some BALLER AS gently caress trick diffs.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I will absolutely take the powerproflex bushings if it makes sense for you and I dollhair and shipping wise.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Bajaha posted:

For the rear subframe, I went all out with the 2ft breaker bar and a nice long cheater bar. The rear two subframe bolts came out without too much of a fight, but the front two, drat. Drivers rear I went straight to cutting it off after being unable to turn it at all, took a while but I got the head off. For the rear it just started turning and holy crap, it felt like trying to undo a cross-threaded bolt. Sat beside the car and was rowing with the breaker bar getting it off.

And well, my rowing ended up snapping the bolt after it came out this far

The other part of the bolt is sitting flush in the hole in the body. Yay, time to get some left handed drill bits and start drilling.

And it is out!

WHAT UP BROKEN REAR SUBFRAME BOLT BUDDY

That was on my gold car. We solved it with oxy ace and drilling out the thing + tapping it to some huge rear end SAE size.

Bonus shot of my rusty subframe:

While it's out, make sure you blow all the crap out from it and get some kind of paint or something on it. Because the thing is boxed up it likes to trap dirt and moisture and rot out after 10 years of salt.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm thinking of my subframe in two or three different ways.

First, the original lasted 10 years, gently caress it the next one will last that long too before it's an issue.

Two, Fluid film it every year before winter, give no fucks.

Three, cover the voids with aluminum tape and chassis saver over it so it is now solid and cant have dirt/salt barfed in it all winter.

Not sure which route I plan to take, but I'll probably do a rear subframe in the early spring.

And I like chassis saver way more than POR15, I've found it to be more durable. I've been using eastwood's internal frame coating for internal rockers and haven't had anything negative to report yet.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 5, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

REGARDING REUSING SUBARU CLUTCH ASSEMBLY BOLTS.....

I am going to say a lot of do as I say not as I do poo poo here.....

The RS has had three clutch assemblies on it. Using the origional pressure plate and flywheel bolts. It gets worse. Friend had a performance shop and they impacted all the flywheel bolts and never had an issue.... So I have always impacted in the flywheel on then torqued the PP bolts.

This is hacky as poo poo. I haven't had an issue yet but you should still probably buy new bolts and torque everything to spec.

My wagon has had the clutch assembly moved over with the donor trans. I impacted on the flywheel and torqued the PP. No issue.

You can get away with it, but you probably shouldn't. If Kastein reads this he's probably going to shoot me.... do as I say not as I do....

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

enki EKM3s

or 04 STi bbs's with spacers

Less is more.

Or because you're in poutine land, get some nice jdm wheels.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

An exhaust for an 05-09 has got to be really close to the same. Might be worth starting with over fabricating something entirely from scratch. Are there two mufflers on the stock system like an outback/lgt? Or maybe just space and hangers on both sides?

3rd gens have a charcoal box and it's left side exit vs 4th gens were dual exhaust.

The best option is custom or off the shelf and cut up to make work.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

In the future don't drain the gear oil. Just jack the front up, leave the rear end down, and pop the axles out.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Huh, good to know for next time. I thought I remembered the 5spd dribbling out fluid when removing the axle, but maybe I'm wrong. Is the 6spd special, or is this just any subie trans?

If you do it on a lovely driveway or on 4 stands yeah you'll have some leak out, but if you just put the front air it will be fine.

Both my cars have axles that go into the trans and I just lift the front and slam the axle job through. 6 speed is the same idea just fat.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

when the axle seizes to the hub like that, it's hosed.

I broke a 3 jaw puller just like that. Still need to fab up new steel arms for it.

We used a harbor freight bench top press. Bent the loving press.

In the end to get it out, we let it sit for a week facing up full of PB blaster.

Then using a lady foot pry bar on the axle and a sledge hammer it came out. Oh and the wheel bearing was destroyed in this process.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Considering the MT cars didnt come with the oil warmer and they got rid of it on later model subarus... It will be fine without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I love the first 10 minutes of a winter morning commute spent in horror and hoping the bad noises go away. It's part of the subaru charm.

• Locked thread