Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You are crazy and this is awesome.

This man speaks the truth. Great project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

A little late to the party regarding pulling the plugs from a Subaru, but if it is similar to the Forester, where the plugs are fantastically well aligned with the frame rails, I found that it was super-easy to get to the plugs by unbolting the engine mounts, then jacking up the engine a little bit -- brought the plugs just above the frame rails and made changing them trivial.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bajaha posted:

This just sucks, we've had the car for exactly a week, it had trouble starting 6 times already (first couple times I thought maybe my fiance didn't push the clutch in all the way or something), it spent 3 of the past 7 days at the dealership (dropped it off Wednesday evening, picked it up on Friday, and had it towed there again this morning)

That does suck. With that start, I'd be looking/planning to drive it for a while and have a lemon law buyback.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fucknag posted:

Nice, but I gotta say I'm not a fan of the blacked-out headlights look.

;)

You mean the black and out headlights? It's the new trend.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

What about these BBS wheels? I had them on my old Forester and got them dirt cheap from a Subaru dealer clearing them out:

(ignore the ride height, there's a couple hundred sq.ft. of tile in the back when this was taken)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bajaha posted:

And to show what the piping looks like now, not the prettiest but it works. The camera/perspective makes it look like its routed worst that it is, but it would be nice to replace with a nicely routed full 3" piping.

Yow, I had assumed you had 3" turbo-back. That will make more of a difference than playing with the heads... my Forester loved the 3" all the way. I used several different mufflers and the output on those cars is closely tied to the exhaust. I had a very open 3" muffler that was loud as balls, but the car was obviously faster because of it. The 2.5" muffler on 3" exhaust didn't seem to quiet it that much, but sure capped the power. The STI stock muffler kept me safely in suburbia, sound-wise, but it also took the largest bite out of the power.

tl;dr: Get a 3" turbo-back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I just dug out the details of my old setup -- 3" Helix catless downpipe and a 3" Random Technologies downpipe-back. That RT muffler was the one that was louder than balls. Nice power, though.

• Locked thread