Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This... is just awesome, and the very swap I would do if I had a Baja. :fap:

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

I like how your neighborhood lets you keep a wrecked car in front of your house.

They'd seize my house for that

Likewise, code compliance would pop up and fine the poo poo out of me within a few hours.

Bajaha posted:

For now I've been driving around in a 98 Altima

As the owner of a 99 Altima.. you have my condolences. :v: Especially if it's an automatic, at least the 5 speed has a little pep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Those plugs have seen better days, but I can't imagine why it would up and die like that.

Were those the plugs that came with the engine? If so, you said the donor car had been a rollover - if it sat upside down or sideways for a bit and you haven't run it much, that could explain oil on the plug. I'd think its neighbor would also be oil fouled, but if it sat at just the right angle it's possible only one plug got a bath.

I'd swap plugs around to see if the miss follows the cylinder, like fucknag suggested. If it does, you have a bad plug. If it doesn't, it's time to break out the multimeter and see if the coil and injector on #2 are getting power.

Bajaha posted:

The Altima is indeed the 5 speed, it's actually not that bad, and now with the winter weather it warms up really nice and fast. The only problem is that the clutch is worn but it works for the most part and still manages to break the tires loose if you hammer on the throttle.

Just make drat sure that trans doesn't run low on gear oil - if the axle seals leak, you'll lose over 2 quarts (out of 5).. and it doesn't like that much. Ask me how I know. :suicide: Also make sure you use GL-4 in it, GL-5 supposedly doesn't play nice with yellow metals (like brass synchros).

If you hang on to it after the Baja is running, a 00-01 5 speed helps wake it up a little without affecting mileage much - they got a (slightly) shorter final drive ratio. Mine still has no issues spinning the tires through most of 1st, even though it's closing in on 170k..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

As for the Altima, it's been a nice temporary replacement vehicle, only problem is chronic rust but that's getting fixed slowly. Bought a 2000 Altima from the local auction for parts only for $650, it was almost completely rust free but it's an auto. Stole pretty much every body panel I could from it, so now my "red" Altima is all white with red quarter panels and roof. Also it has this little exhaust leak that's silent when driving around normally that sounds like a turbo whistle when you gun it at higher rpms :3: Plans for the Altima include fixing it up and selling it, it will be missed once it's gone.

:ssh: The 2000 has a little more power (5hp) and better suspension, though it has an immobilizer. 00-01 headlights and grill also look better, but the wiring is a bit different. Tails also look better IMO, if you don't want them I might take them off your hands :v: 2000-01 is also prone to intake manifold gasket leaks that cause it to lean out :saddowns:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 23, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

Onto altima chat, I do have the rear tails if you're interested some texas redneck, I don't have PM so maybe I could email you? I swapped over the entire front end including the head lights. It does look much better and the wiring for the lights wasn't too hard to redo, when I put them in they were pointed at the moon but that was easily fixed. Only issue is that it looks like they throw less light than the old headlights :doh:, It could be that the bulbs are original so I'll pick up a new set sooner or later.

When I got my 99, I found the original bulbs in there - one dated Dec 98, the other Oct 98, both showing their age (glass was fairly black). :doh: New bulbs made a huge difference.

Your side marker bulbs aren't working the way they would on a 00-01 unless you swapped harnesses and a control unit, but honestly, nobody is going to notice as long as you have working signals. 00-01 moved the turn signals to the inside, with the outside being a dual filament side marker (comes on solid bright with the signals, dim filament with parking lights).

And yeah, if the lights are in good shape (red/red, not red/amber, correct?), I'd be interested in them. email is awfulbean (at) gmail. I'm sick of the red/amber look :saddowns:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm still thinking the injector may be bad, if you haven't tried swapping them around yet. I really doubt there's any valvetrain damage since the compression is pretty even.

If you did swap them, then maybe the wiring for that injector is suspect?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I hope it goes without saying, but be careful with running that heater with the door mostly-closed - carbon monoxide isn't fun.

So how long does 50L allow it to run anyway?

And please send some of that winter weather down with the taillights - I'm getting loving sick of running the a/c in December. :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

.. I still have the Altima parts I bought from you. :haw:

I really should try and sell those lights.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

I now understand why some people call Nissan the Chrysler of Japan.

this time fans turned on and wouldn't shut off, dash gauge indidcates it doesn't think it's overheating.

I ran into the same thing (well, the air pockets, not the rust) when I changed the water pump and thermostat on my old Altima.

Also, the dash gauge has its own sending unit - it's that one wire deal on the neck for the upper hose. The temp sensor for the ECU is on the back of the engine somewhere; if the fans kicked on and wouldn't stop, the ECU was seeing far north of 100C.

I wound up with an external head gasket leak after that fiasco, but it didn't seem to be leaking internally; it just weeped coolant around #4 (not much, just a few drops here and there).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OUCH.... that doesn't sound happy. At all.

Still got the Altima?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's a slight upgrade from taking the bus!

Nice car, and "retina-searing blue" is my favorite color. :v:

I'm leaning heavily toward Hyundai CPO for my next car, they've been putting out some fantastic stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wish I had video of how bad the clutch was in my last Civic when I picked it up - the tl;dr is it took several minutes to get up to about 40, and you couldn't use 5th at all.

It was fun driving it home after buying it like that. Sucked rear end getting it in the driveway though, had to get a decent running start. At least the parking brake worked..

Best $200 car ever though. :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

But.. but... it's not a Corvette. :saddowns:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just reading this has really turned me off on Hyundai in general. I know they make some really great cars these days (... aside from the Veloster), but from a warranty aspect it seems like "gently caress the customer, we got our money" when things go pear-shaped.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 15, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A clutchjob in that Altima really isn't that bad. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

Oh hey, look at that, it thinks it's a Volkswagen. How cute.

Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE MY HYUNDAI VELOSTER?

The low washer fluid light isn't on yet, nor is it bitching about low coolant, so it doesn't yet think it's a VW.

Still a CEL at 30k km is pretty laughable.

How's it going with the arbitration?

(is it sad that I saw 9 new posts and immediately knew the Veloster threw another trick at you?)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

Carproof looks like it's kinda screwy for Manitoba records, my taking ownership apparently resulted in two ownership changes? Anyway, Midterms have hit, so no progress on anything, haven't even had time to snap any lovely cellphone pics or even schedule the brake flush.

For what it's worth, CarFax and Autocheck both show my car as having 3 owners (not counting dealers) so far.

The original owner lived in Utah, and according to what the dealer told me, once they moved to Texas, they traded it in pretty shortly after getting Texas plates/title (which could have been up to a year after moving here, if they wanted to use up the remainder of the Utah registration - though legally they'd have to register it within 30 days). The Texas registration counted as a 2nd owner on CarFax, even though it was listed as for sale by a dealer less than 50 miles later. I'm counted as the 3rd owner going by both autocheck and carfax. The original bill of sale from when it was originally sold was in the glove box when I got it, and matched the name that was on the title that the dealer had. So for a change, I'm pretty sure the dealer actually told me the truth.

tl;dr carfax and other vehicle history sites say I'm the third owner when I'm the second.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 2, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The 4EAT in the SVX is a lot more primitive than any version of the 4EAT you'd see on an Impreza platform.

Depending on the year, the SVX 4EAT has problems with the transfer case clutches engaging too often, crappy ATF filters, leaky ATF seals or bad thrust bearings that make hard 3rd shifts or kill 4th gear. All years of SVX have an undersized ATF cooler, which are also impossible to flush fully when you have a 4EAT kill itself, leading to cars repeatedly dying even with a new 4EAT installed.

A big issue was also the fact that the SVX version was setup for very soft shifts. Which meant more heat, and more wear on the clutch packs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

In fuel economy news, old auto's suck. Getting ~12 l/100km (18 ish mpg) in the foz, the exact same mileage as the Baja which has somewhere over twice the chp, weighs more, has stickier tires, and was driven in anger regularly. Trying to figure out if it's normal for the forester or if I'm going to have to track something down. No codes or obvious symptoms.

The US version is rated at 18 mpg city, 20 combined, 24 highway. So if that's all city driving, you're getting exactly what you should be getting. Even combined city/highway, that puts you pretty close to what the EPA says it should get. I'd assume CDM models have the same or similar drivetrain, emissions systems, and ECU programming as USDM models.

The same site says my car is rated 23/26/32, which is about +1 mpg over what I actually get. And mine has the proper 3 pedals. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 3, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

:( I got so used to exceeding EPA ratings with manuals it feels weird to meet or just miss them. Guess I can't always have my cake and eat it.

I had a 2001 Honda Accord LX 5 speed at one point. It always blew the highway numbers out of the water, but city driving averaged 18-20.

Best tank was on a road trip to/from Austin. Filled up in south Dallas, drove to Austin, spent a week there, and drove back on the same tank (I think I filled up in Waco on the way back, which is sorta roughly the halfway point). 34 mpg, and on the way back I had the cruise set at 85-90 with the a/c on between cities. :stare: It had a 17 gallon tank, I put over 500 miles on that one tank, staring at the gas gauge the entire time and wondering if the sending unit was broken or if I was really getting that kind of mileage.

My Integra also got crazy highway mileage - going from Dallas to El Paso (and back) in it saw nearly 40 mpg. :stonk: I have no idea why it got such great mileage on the highway, it was a pig around town. Only thing I can guess is it was running really lean at highway speeds - it did burn a couple of valves around 150k, and also started burning some serious oil (~1 qt per tank of gas - if anyone got on my rear end I'd just drop it into 3rd and let off the gas, instant smokescreen that would make James Bond weep) a few months after that trip.

tl;dr I'm also used to exceeding EPA ratings, even in automatics. I always get a "how the hell did you do THAT?" when I drive my mother's Avalon and give it back to her with the dash computer thing showing 19-22 MPG average (it usually shows 14-16 when she drives it). I don't know how I do it, I give it an italian tuneup every time I drive it though (it never breaks 2500 RPM with her driving).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 3, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh god, Subaru does the combination alternator/brake light disco too? I thought that was just a Nissan thing.

When the alternator took a poo poo on my Altima, both the brake and alternator light came on together. The CEL lit up a bit later with a random misfire code; I assume it was from voltage getting too low since I never got that code again after it got a new alternator. It had ~10.5V at the battery when I got home - the alternator took a poo poo on my drive home from class in the middle of summer, and it was either marinade in my own sweat or pull the battery down a bit quicker by running the a/c.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 10, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm really digging that blue, personally.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That blue is orgasmish.

But the lower would need to be either something really dark (darker blue, dark grey, black, etc), or pearl white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

8ender posted:

My Porsche owning friends have also told me it's best to find a really good exhaust shop. Because of clearances and engine placement there's a lot less metal and lot more bends so a bearded pipe wizard is preferred.

This. The exhaust shop I used for ages had an old guy that was mostly blind who worked serious magic.... so long as he could feel his way around the exhaust.

Never wore eye protection, natch. But there was everything from rotted out Accords to mint Porsches in their parking lot.

• Locked thread