Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

AnonSpore posted:

These pages came way before Murata was involved with the series, sorry.

Welp. :downs: Can't help but think of that series when Murata's involved.

And hot drat, those pages look gorgeous, and he didn't even use them? Crazy work ethic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Reposting for the new page:

Yes, he did draw this part like a flipbook.

Also from Murata's twitter:

Rough drafts for volume 1+2's cover illustrations. Murata scrapped everything here because it didn't look good enough.

e: Haha I just noticed Saitama is holding a grocery bag of leeks in his left hand in most of these.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 17, 2012

Homo Depot
Jun 27, 2007

Studs on sale!
How do you get stronger enemies than the ones he's crushed so far? Bring in Galactus? I mean, obviously it doesn't matter how strong they are since he'll still destroy them. Just in terms of who they are and what they look like.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Homo Depot posted:

How do you get stronger enemies than the ones he's crushed so far? Bring in Galactus? I mean, obviously it doesn't matter how strong they are since he'll still destroy them. Just in terms of who they are and what they look like.

Why would they need to escalate constantly? I figure that devil-rank threats are something that even s-rank heroes have to handle in groups. Guys who can destroy humanity don't really need to be one-upped. This isn't DBZ, and there is no way for any kind of training arc to surpass the brutality of Saitama's daily routine.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My favorite visual trick in this is whenever Saitama gains any sort of passion (Anticipating/Hoping for a good fight, swatting an annoying mosquito that just won't die), he is drawn normally, in comparison to the rest of the manga. Whenever he is chill or :effort:, he is drawn cartoonishly.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder what the business model is on Shuiesha picking this up.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Oh wow, I just realized the super hero registry was founded as a result of Saitama saving that kid in chapter 2. The original super hero!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Raldan posted:

Oh wow, I just realized the super hero registry was founded as a result of Saitama saving that kid in chapter 2. The original super hero!

And even if he says it was him no one will ever believe it. After all, the guy who fought the crab monster had hair.

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost
Not sure I'd say it's as good as Beelzebub, but definitely in the same vein. Kind of like the difference in pacing though. It really let's some of the jokes build up in a nice way, the invisible ninja bit had me laughing for quite some time before it finally landed properly. You could see the joke coming from a mile away yeah, but it wasn't drawn out, it was just as long as it should have been.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I love this manga so much. The art and the humor are just so goddamn good.

MayLanh
Apr 16, 2012

by angerbot
Onepunch-Man 17

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

This comic just oozes style and I love this chapter for the fact that it's full of motion, and the punch-line with it is perfect. It's like what shounen boils down to - Action.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Can't wait for a gif of this chapter.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
I'm going to be so disappointed when the fast updates of this stop. It's just great.

Another gif:

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 17, 2012

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:swoon: How soon can we get an anime of this?

It's a trick question, the answer is not soon enough. The action scenes are stellar and the comedy is wonderful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

:swoon: How soon can we get an anime of this?

It's a trick question, the answer is not soon enough. The action scenes are stellar and the comedy is wonderful.

An anime would by necessity simplify the art. I'm not sure how much it would add.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man after these last few chapters I've really underrated Murata as an artist. Dude is on par with guys like Oda. Maybe even better.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Oh wow, the sound effects have shadows. :eyepop:

Also, any chance mosquito lady will return? :fap:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Serious Frolicking posted:

An anime would by necessity simplify the art. I'm not sure how much it would add.

I dunno. This is a plot that would lend itself well to comedic timing. Having a super action packed scene come to a sudden stop and onepunch man delivering a punchline completely deadpan and :geno: could be really hilarious.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hallgerd posted:

I'm going to be so disappointed when the fast updates of this stop. It's just great.

Another gif:

These gifs are amazing. The massive image size on kiss manga can make it kind of hard to follow but drat

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005
At points this manga is like reading an anime. It's awesome.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like this because it's basically a more violent version of Astro Fighter Sunred.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Breaky posted:

I dunno. This is a plot that would lend itself well to comedic timing. Having a super action packed scene come to a sudden stop and onepunch man delivering a punchline completely deadpan and :geno: could be really hilarious.

The problem is that it would have to become less detailed, unless it was done as OVAs or a movie, which would loose the "barely-detailed Saitama, extremely detailed villains" thing it has going.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Inverness posted:

Oh wow, the sound effects have shadows. :eyepop:

Even better, the sound effects are actual 3D objects!

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Welp, you've convinced me. Incredible action, comedy that's actually funny, an artist who knows how to cater to my love of destroyed cityscapes. I don't think I could ask for something better than this.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Just blew through the current chapters, awesome series so far. Love how everyone builds themselves up to a one-panel immediate death.

Also I can't be the only one who thinks Sonic is female, right?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Liar posted:

Also I can't be the only one who thinks Sonic is female, right?

See a lot of "getting hit in the balls" jokes with girls, do you?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My reaction to the last page is one of empathy, trying to grasp how Genos is feeling.

It's a lot like :aaaaa:

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

onepixeljumpman posted:

See a lot of "getting hit in the balls" jokes with girls, do you?

Yeah but there was basically no reaction to that. Sonic just leaps backwards and is startled by Saitama.

By the way I love that whole scene with Sonic leaping around. Flipping from page to page it's like watching an anime with how smoothly it plays.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Change thread title to "Better animation than most anime."

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Sindai posted:

Change thread title to "Better animated than most anime."

Seriously, and thank you to the people doing the gifs because it just looks so drat awesome played out like this.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Boon did chapter 18. The series is now caught up with Japan (save two bonus chapters, one of which is a short piece about Saitama in the middle of his training and the other which is a draft of chapter 1 he drew entirely with markers). The next chapter comes out in Japan on the 29th of this month (Thursday of next week).

Chapter 18

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 18, 2012

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Unlucky7 posted:

My favorite visual trick in this is whenever Saitama gains any sort of passion (Anticipating/Hoping for a good fight, swatting an annoying mosquito that just won't die), he is drawn normally, in comparison to the rest of the manga. Whenever he is chill or :effort:, he is drawn cartoonishly.

I agree totally. I think it's most notable in his dream about the Underground King when he dreams himself a challenging fight.

So did Murata do this one with an actual flipbook too? Great art in this series. I'm in awe here.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Boon did chapter 18. The series is now caught up with Japan (save two bonus chapters, one of which is a short piece about Saitama in the middle of his training and the other which is a draft of chapter 1 he drew entirely with markers). The next chapter comes out in Japan on the 29th of this month (Thursday of next week).

Chapter 18
Saitama and Genos have the best interactions. :allears:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autumncomet posted:

Saitama and Genos have the best interactions. :allears:

Genos truly is the perfect sidekick for a half-assed dude like Saitama.

MayLanh
Apr 16, 2012

by angerbot
Onepunch-Man 18

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Chapter 18

You mean we're on a weekly schedule now? :negative:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Nasgate posted:

You mean we're on a weekly schedule now? :negative:

Biweekly actually...

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
This is literally the best manga I have read so far. This is like reading my childhood minus the hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I seriously love the artists style. Even in a still image you can see movement taking place... Don't know how to describe it better than that.

Maybe it's a trick of lines or something, but I just swear it looks like you can see the air fluctuating around his lasers from the heat.