Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the artwork on this alone is enough of a reason to read it, even if it wasn't pretty drat funny. I could look at a chapter for hours. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Liar posted:

I'm loving how serious the artwork is for an otherwise comical plotline. You have to give the artist credit, he knows how to draw a goddamn punch.

That is part of what makes it so hilarious though. It is this absolutely insanely beautifully drawn artwork of a bald dude who beats everyone in one punch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TBH this retcon has kinda ruined things for me. "Oh that chapter with its delightful ending didn't happen" loving sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

Cut to that exact ending happening in a few months. Will redraw haters ever learn? Probably not.

If it does I'll be fine but that doesn't change the fact it takes some of the oomph away from it. But it was SUCH a good chapter ending that it was a huge bucket of cold water thrown at me to realize "oh wait no actually the entire last chapter didn't happen" when I tried to read the new one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sextro posted:

Anyone who still prefers them already being at the table deserves a 6 hour probe to look at this one more closely.

I'd rather something funny over a fight, no matter how well drawn it is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

graham cracker posted:

Is that a giant exposed spine and rib cage in the crater on the dark side of the moon?

Sure looks like it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

Okay, after reading the translation I enjoyed the chapter, but I am a little annoyed by the fact that it didn’t just roll back events - it rolled back character development for both Saitama and Garou. Garou had his realization of what his Ominous Future would be wiped away. But more importantly, Saitama lost his introspective realization of his own failure of being a hero. Losing Genos because he showed up too late, his understanding of how both Garou and King displayed more heroic characteristics than he has -

I don’t know. Maybe I just find something tragically romantic (in the classic sense) of an AU where Saitama has to live on this irradiated rock for the rest of his life holding Genos’ core in his left hand, never letting it go, as a reminder that no matter how powerful he is, no matter that he can beat anything with a single punch, it still doesn’t mean he ‘wins’. He failed. Genos died. He couldn’t do anything about it and has to live with that failure.

I dont think the comedy series about a man who punch good needs an insanely depressing downer ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I think that Sunred is significant precedent for One Punch Man, being a superhero-themed comedy about a hero who greatly outclasses his enemies and is dissatisfied with the absence of a serious challenge.

It also feels a *ton* like Luckyman.

Bald OP protagonist, hero society' intense but oblivious protege, farts solve issues, etc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man I hate the Tony/Peter thing but that is a drat good Father/Son Kamehameha

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One Punch Man is cancelled. All back issues of the webcomic will be deleted. From now on it will be nothing but horny drawings of superheroines fighting in epic battles published weekly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This chapter makes up for losing the table.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not going to lie, I was hoping a certain character in this wouldn't make it in from the webcomic in the form they did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Oh no, not again. previous chapters got additional pages

Uuuuuuuugh. What now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pik_d posted:

It says so right on the last page of the translation!

Ah, I was waiting for the official release, sorry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was going to say 'wow that is shockingly tame for him' and then the Zhu Bajie character appeared.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goffer posted:

In a similar situation, how do you reckon Caped Baldy would handle the sword? Accidentally shatter it?

He would eat the apple when it was thrown to him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Someday they will fight the dangerous Perception King whose opponents have the strength level he views them at. The nobody Caped Baldy is weak as a flea while King is a terrifying engine of descruction.

(Saitama still wins in one punch and is extremely frustrated that being reduced to 1% of his actual power isn't enough for a good fight.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The idea behind King I think is that he got in way too deep and there's no time he can actually admit "oh um poo poo I'm not really a god" that isn't going to cause things to explode since we're shown the mere existence of King is a deterrent. If he stepped down/vanished/got outed then people would die and for all of King's flaws he is probably the most genuinely kind person in the cast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"We trained him right, as a joke."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Noted famous JttW character the kangaroo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Let the man spend some time with his family.

You can't prove his family are not just a series of hand-drawn animations he personally renders at lightning speed to give the illusion of reality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the monkey king is an infamous total loving poo poo. It's kind of his whole thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

There's about a gram of iron in a human body. Then again these guys are monsterized, so maybe they got more iron in them. Otherwise, that's a thousand dudes for 1 1 kg mass, which is like a rapier or 2 typical combat knives

Are you saying Magneto lied to me?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The table thing is where I kind of turned on the redraws. I don't mind slight changes but "the entire plot changes massively" sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I've always been uncertain about is how we're supposed to view Saitama's ambivalence towards pretty much everything. Like it's one thing to be a comedic straight-man, but a lot of the time his behavior crosses over into a bizarre unwillingness to seriously engage with other people.

He almost comes off as a character who realizes everything around him is fictional, and has little investment in other characters or their lives as a result. I'm not sure how much of that is meant to just be perceived as a gag, and the line is further blurred by other characters (usually reasonably) taking everything seriously.

That is literally the point. He is so strong he has disengaged with life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

If the quality is closer to a Marvel comic adaptation than a Shyamalan Avatar adaptation it could be alright. But like, holy poo poo why are anime live-actions so bad almost all the time lmao

I think the advantage with OPM is the humour is parody based and also a lot closer to what a regular rear end, non-anime fan would expect in terms of humour. So we'll see!

I'm gonna assume it'll be terrible and maybe be wonderfully surprised tho.

Because anime is a medium that frequently benefits from exaggeration and lack of realism while the entire point of live action is to make things more realistic.