Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fellis posted:

What are some good (not caricature) representations of black people in japanese media? I can only think of Dutch from Black Lagoon

Kinda derailing, I don’t mind taking it to another thread or something.

muhammed ali’s son in baki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Eej posted:

I'm concerned it seems like no one else watched Carole and Tuesday

it wasnt very good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it was tepid social commentary speckled with vocoder concerts

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the music was good though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bucswabe posted:

I think it's fair to say that the "content" of season 2 is just no where close to season 1, regardless of who was animating it.

In my personal opinion, the manga chapters that comprise season 2 are probably the low point of the series (before getting really good again with the assault on the Monster Association.

So I'm not sure season 2 could have ever lived up to the legacy of S1.

yeah. the animations not as good but its still the canon story. unfortunately its the most boring part of the canon story

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

graham cracker posted:

Don't make me tap this .jpg again!

lol drat

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I was gonna write a whole thing but basically ONE is kind of the Terry Pratchett of anime

this tracks

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gologle posted:

Was Saitama dead all along? He lives alone in a deserted city, nobody outside of "superheroes" knows him or asks about him, he somehow goes to sales in an abandoned city. makes u think

plus hes bald

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

I just dont like blackluster because it sounds like lackluster

i think that makes it into a funny joke which none of the other translations are in any form

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dont remember that in the webcomic..,..

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
blast has to be a good guy because he was given such a cool face

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Revins posted:

I think the latter

the latter one is on amazon prime

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im rereading on the viz app. are the redrawn chapters in there?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Im gonna be the annoying webcomic reader guy, but I just want to say this is like 95% exactly how the original chapter went, panel by panel, and I am extremely happy they didnt mess with perfection here.

its awesome

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

aegof posted:

No, it was just an easy joke.

is that so

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i believe saitama’s baldness is an explicit mockery of the trend for shounen protagonists to have ridiculous and distinct hairstyles and this google image search result for “shounen hair” supports my theory

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Baldness is a fairly distinct hairstyle tbh.

thats the point

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ONE: what kind of stupid hair should i give my stupid op shounen protag? a bowl cut? nah……oh poo poo. what if his shounen hero hair……..is no hair at all?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

how is Yugi Moto not an example here

i dont know but its definitely one of the ones i think of first

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
good poo poo. no translation necessary

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

i said it wasnt necessary not that i didnt want it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
you can learn more about amai “sweet” mask by reading the webcomic

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

I was one of the people insisting up until last year or so that, while the manga had some revised/extended events, the core plot, themes and character arcs of both manga and webcomic were the same in all the important parts. I no longer argue that because the differences are too many by this point and I wouldn't be surprised if the ending of this arc is different (albeit while still hitting fairly similar plot beats).

I would recommend to wait until the ending of this arc to then read the webcomic's version of it and then the rest if you liked it. It won't happen for another year or so but if you already waited 10+ years whats +1 more :v:

yes. however if anyone is wondering why sweet mask isnt a pulpy mess, the webcomic will tell them the answer and the manga probably will not

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lol finally

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lol epic

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
need the next chapter asap please.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gologle posted:

Did the webcomic ever show Blast fighting?

i dont recall the webcomic ever having blast actually in a panel at all

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this comic is so loving awesome

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I don't even have an easy example for Part 7 or 8 but every new part of Jojo escalates how lethal Stands can be over a wider area. First it's getting bisected by a vampire in frozen time from Part 3, then in Part 4 there's an evidence deleting tank that nobody can break, also time reverses and everyone's exploded without a trace. Part 5 has Green Day mold, Grateful Dead, Silver Chariot Requiem, Part 6 has snail rainbows and predators warping into the area at the encounter rate of a Pokemon Yellow cave and time accelerating, it's all bad.

I haven't read Blame! or Berserk or anything along those lines. Casshern Sins, CastleVania, or Fist of the North Star or any 'post apocalypse' setting should probably be top of the list but I can't claim to be as familiar with those.

castlevania……?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shugojin posted:

probably netflix castlevania

which is good, shame it's on netflix

it is most definitely not good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
whoa this is getting interesting

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

I dont think I saw that movie but that'd be one hell of an injection to put a kilogram of iron in a human body

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yeah season 2 was adapting the beginning of the mangas indulgent tension building

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Have any of the redraws ever been more well-received than the originals?

theyre all better

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
err….huh?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The redraws are actually canon and it’s God altering reality to try and get its plans to work this time.

ive been reading it this way since phoenix man lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
heather anne campbell has a gaming podcast and an anime podcast called “get played” and “get animed” reapectively, each cohosted by nick wiger and matt apodaca. from listening to these two shows i can say with total confidence that heather anne campbell absolutely has the knowledge base and level of taste to write a good onepunch man movie. that said, i have no idea if shes a good writer