Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Maybe the acid ate the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Saitama getting punched in the back of the head to utterly no effect was the first time that trope has actually made me super pumped in nearly a decade.

I think it's his stylistically completely blank face that sells it. :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I kinda lost it at NOTE: THIS ISN'T TRUE. v:shobon:v

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I definitely agree, I just always laugh at bland understatements of things. It's a totally accurate statement but just falls so far short :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Silento posted:

I would imagine the worst part is people getting offended when you translate something in a way they think is incorrect. NAKAMA MEANS SOMETHING SPECIAL!!! IT'S NOT THE SAME THING AS FRIEND/COMRADE!!! :downs:

Case in point: that incredibly dry and literal fan re-translation of Chrono Trigger.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't think I ever played it but the project started because the official translation wasn't sufficiently ~faithful to the original Japanese~

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Remember that Saitama's desire was to be the overwhelming hero who shows up and saves the day with one punch.

By contrast Licenseless Rider seems to want to help people however, and apparently does a really good job with the things more powerful heroes wouldn't bother with.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

pentyne posted:

I always enjoy how angry and defensive Genos gets whenever someone disparages Saitama. Obviously we know how insanely strong he is but other then Genos and maybe Licenseless Rider most everyone thinks its some long con to trick people into believing Saitama is a godlike hero.

The one old guy hero I forget the name of who personally witnessed him smash the gently caress out of the giant meteor with one punch is also aware of Saitama's power.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

When the title of both threads is just "One Punch Man" and both threads are talking about the same thing, yes, it is a little hard.

Its not a coincidence that theres been like 5 fuckups on the last page alone when theres almost never a problem with split threads aside from intentional trolling.

So what do we want to message Zorak and ask him to namechange this one to include [MURATA] in the title or something?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Mob Psycho is a step above OPM as far as art goes though, I don't know that I'd ever call it "poor".

I think over in the ONE thread the consensus is that ONE's art is serviceable. It's not pretty by any stretch but it does a great job at conveying what's happening so you are never left wondering what the gently caress is going on.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kild posted:

It won't load anything past the 3rd page for me.

Same here.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

trucutru posted:

If that happened then Saitama would most likely miss discount day at the grocery store and that would make him angry, very angry indeed. Not a good idea.

God help the universe if Saitama had the notion he would miss every single discount day forever.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well yeah, Saitama's ultimate powerup is a punch where he actually means to do damage.

Although legs tend to be stronger than arms, so god help anybody he decides is worth kicking.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Um hes not called Onekick-man :colbert:

He's not called anything right now :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I Think I'm Going Bald

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Alright, I'm confused. Am I watching the wrong JoJo? I was under the impression all stand names were <color> + <tarot card> / <tarot card> + <color>.

Well to say a tiny spoiler, Araki used up all of the major Tarot arcana in part 3 (what you're watching) and switched to band or song names for later parts. You'll notice right now that all the villains are named after musical groups with [color] [arcana] Stands but he changes it up and people tend to just have something resembling a name and then a Stand named after something musical.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Actually I wanna change my vote to Harder Better Faster Stronger. It's pretty much Saitama, right there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bisse posted:

So a Super Move Serious Series: Serious Punch is essentially Saitama throwing an actual punch with proper legwork and torso rotation rather than kind of lazily flopping his hand from the hip in the general direction of the enemy.

Yeah. It's a punch. With form.

This is why if he ever takes Bang up on his offer and learns an actual fighting style the consequences will be unimaginable.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

logger posted:

It's more based off a concept in Japan where outwardly you wear a different face than how you really feel.

HMSM confirmed for evil SMT character.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

khy posted:

You know, this is amazing.

They took the ultimate mary sue, a guy who seems to be literally and figuratively invincible, and made him somehow interesting.

How far ahead of Murata's version is the series by ONE?

One mini-arc and one full-size arc, plus a couple one-offs in there.

Also I don't know if Saitama counts as a mary sue since it's pretty clearly shown that being as overwhelmingly powerful as he is is not remotely desirable. It's basically The One Interesting Superman Story, except ONE is actually managing to work awesome fights against bad guys into telling it without it feeling weird or contradictory.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I'm still wondering exactly how bad you have to do on a written test if "God himself resides" in your body to be classified as C class. He broke every record by a huge margin, and I'm pretty sure he saved the Billionaire's daughter to get the Hero Association started in the first place.

Did they ask him the days of the week and he wrote, "Sunday, Monday, Sale-day, Wednesday..."? I guess it's a hero test. "What is the best way to defeat a Demon Level threat?" "Punch it once." "What is the best way to defeat a Dragon Level threat?" "Punch it seriously." "What is the best way to defeat a God Level threat?" "Punch it twice."

Pretty much, he just got everything wrong. He got in based solely on the fact that he's the most physically capable person.

He probably blew the written part because it had something to do with the correct money-making approach to the Hero Association, and Saitama is the kind of guy who doesn't care about credit and glory. He just wants to fight evil, because Heroes fight evil, and he's a Hero.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 9, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, that. We're just speculating on the details of his idiocy :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Genocyber posted:

No, Murata will do a redraw of Mob Psycho 100. :colbert:

In the event of Murata catching up, if this isn't what he does I will cry. I will loving cry.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

What's the actual sound of the KING ENGINE? I mean, I can pretty much guess, but I'm not really familiar with japanese onomatopoeia.

I'm... I'm not sure I can explain it properly without spoiling something.

(I've been pumped for this arc, it's great)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

King is top-tier among ONE characters.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

jwang posted:

King and Licenseless Rider are the two best characters in this whole series. King because of his roaring engine, and Rider because he's a true bro.

Rider is like, the only other hero who just wants to protect people as best he can and the hell with the political bits. It's why Saitama likes him ( and why he's one of the few people in the Saitama fan club).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think they're just generic sandals.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I keep manga sites adblocked because the one time I didn't an infected flash ad gave me a virus and I had a fun hour killing it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Genocyber posted:

The next few chapters will all be focusing on King, IIRC.

Pretty much. This is a smallish arc all about King, so the next couple months at Murata's pace. Longer if he decides to derail into Saitama Side Stories.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

There are far too many heroes who think they are much stronger than they really are. Even though biology is rather malleable in this setting, just desiring to be the strongest isn't enough to make it true. Heck, Saitama never really wanted such a remarkable level of power. He wanted to be stronger, not the strongest.

Well he wanted to be the cool hero who shows up and ends it in just one punch. He got exactly what he asked for, it just turns out that it sucks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

It would be really interesting and it might actually make me like spiderman. Am I the only one who thinks that he's the lamest super hero around? It's not his super powers, it's his personality.

It depends on who's doing it. Newspaper Spider-Man still involves Stan Lee and is comically stupid, for example.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kabanaw posted:

If you're hankering for some Murata art then I'd suggest reading Eyeshield 21. He doesn't write it thank god because it gets REALLY racist at points but there's some pretty anime two-page spreads for a manga about football.

The racism in Eyeshield 21 is kinda hilarious though because at the end it just totally throws the shonen POWER OF HARD WORK thing straight out the window, saying "sorry protagonist, you're not black, you'll never be that good at football" :mmmhmm:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't like Murata's Yugi. His hair is nowhere near stupid enough.

The rest is awesome though. I have to wonder if Dai's anywhere to be found in the first poster though, considering Pop is there.

I think Dai is the kid in blue hanging from the mast but I'm not really sure, it's been forever since I read that and about a billion things took influence from Toriyama's style so poo poo gets confusing. :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's canon enough, no one knows who the hell he is and so he didn't get any credit :v:

Also, he just felt a burst of empathy for some other dudes who just do their job in a crazy world.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Saitama is not going to get along with this guy.

Sindai posted:

I absolutely adore Garou's hair.

And this is why :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Parrotine posted:

It's not gonna stop me, it just seems confusing that he wouldn't give Mob Psycho the same treatment as One Punch Man, especially considering that MP is where he spends the brunt of his focus on

If I were One i'd be doing all I could to get that series out there when you spend so much time working on it. It seems like an odd choice.

Mob is published in a magazine and OPM is a webcomic he does for fun, so the legality is very different.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well, mob has come to terms with some more emotions and stuff I guess but he's nowhere near done. Still lots of places for the story to go.

Possibly just fooled by mob's weird release schedule, too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Saitama is at an inherent disadvantage while playing videogames because he has to hold back unspeakably in order to not just shatter the controller when he tries to press a button.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hellsau posted:

To be fair S-class has a dude with a bat and a guy in a dog suit, so A-class might just be just as weak.

I hope Garou wins. He's putting all his effort in. He might start losing his hair though :ohdear:

S-class is people who are super powerful despite being really lame on paper.

"A guy in a dog suit."

"A guy with a bat."

"A super buff guy."

"Some old dude who practices martial arts."

and yet they effortlessly murder tons of threats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

We have no idea what Boom does.

Metal Knight possibly counts. His robots do, at any rate.