Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I just blitz'd through this over the weekend. Amazing stuff but now I have to sit and wait for more like a chump! Why isn't everything instantaneous!?

gnome7 posted:

Onepunch Man: The only manga so well animated you can make a music video out of it.

I like the idea but why, why did they make it 360p? Such great art doesn't deserve all that artifacting. Whine aside, it works really nicely.

I really would love to see amateur attempts at animating some of the scenes though. The key frames are there, you just have to make roughly a billion inbetweens.

VVV Consider me appeased then!

Popo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

Alternatively, he stays as Saitama the whole time for comedy purposes, I can see either happening.

I'm suspecting that Genos gets the credit for saving the day. It might be a bit of an obvious joke but it seems fitting for Saitama.

And we need a gif of the arm arming scene. Murata has such a great knack for evoking depth of field with just a subtle use of blurring.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Obscil posted:

Yeah, the overall quality seems to drop in the last few pages. I think he just got tired or ran out of time.

It was almost certainly time constraints. I think it was earlier in this thread someone said he missed the deadline by a few hours.

It's great seeing this chapter complete after seeing getting slowly coloured over god knows how long. I was watching him do the panel where Genos is reflected in Metal Knights armour in three places and wondering what the gently caress he was doing, repeating these same little stokes on the different sections then him moving the paper so you saw Genos was also in the scene.
"Oh poo poo, that's what he's colouring in!?"

Because of OPM I've been reading Eyeshield 21 as well which has been fun. Got to a colour page and saw the football pitch reflected in one of the players helmets.
"Yup, that's our Murata..."

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

For those interested he's uploaded what he has done so far and will presumably just update the chapter as pages get done.

http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/30/

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Huff Puff walks a very fine line between being a horrible stereotype and being simply great.

Don't mess with his boys, baby! Actually, I wonder what he'll make of Saitama baby.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Maybe my memory is bad but "Nice fight" might be the nicest thing Saitama has to anyone so far.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Wait, do we know she survived? I could have sworn we've not seen her since she got smashed into a building which, I had assumed, killed her.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

I'm wondering if Murata's artwork on One Punch Man is considered even better the Kentaro Miura's art on Berserk, which I would consider probably the best drawn manga i've seen.

It's kind of hard to compare at some point. They're both amazing, though Murata has the massive edge when it comes to rate of production. I don't doubt that Murata could do huge spreads that are all elaborately shaded by cross hatching rather than screen-toned but I also suspect Miura could sets of well done semi-animated sequences.

Saying one artist is better than another is already tricky, you couldn't really compare 'Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei' and Blade of the Immortal for example since one is highly stylised and one is highly realistic (okay, that's maybe not the best example but you should know what I'm failing to say).

It's all, like, subjective, man. Ya dig?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

I'm expecting Murata to re-do this chapter so we have about five spreads of the giant bullet slowly crumpling.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

I only just now noticed those. Did he always have them or is it because he learned something or something?

They just seem to be effects for his Angel Punches. He had white ones when fighting the Sea King.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Yo man, we basically an anime now. 6 new pages to the chapter may not sound like much but Murata kind of pulled out all the stops (though not quite.)

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So that animated 'page' is the real deal? :psyduck:

Exactly as it appears on the Japanese site.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

pinegala posted:

I can't understand what's been going on for the past few weeks. Why is the same chapter being posted over and over?

It's not like he hasn't been adding pages each time. I think this is the first update not to increase the page count.
he probably has special reason to keep the chapter count as is for now but it doesn't really matter, it'll trickle out soon enough and we'll soon be fearing cvatching up with the original.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

jwang posted:

I found this video made for One-punch Man, and I like it best, especially since it showcases how awesome No-License Rider is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWefSrqDtLE

It's cool seeing how this MAD has grown since the first version came out. The No Way In Hell video suits the tone of OPM better but this one is technically better.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Parrotine posted:

How the hell did they do this? What program did they use to make the video? Any guesses?

For the most part is looks like a lot of it could be done in After Effects.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I'm not sure why Saitama isn't more excited about someone surviving a punch. Hasn't he been looking for a real fight since like the first chapter?

Ultimately he just sent the dude flying with no evident effort so that he got up again doesn't mean the fight is real yet.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Star Platinum posted:

Someone with the skill make this into one of those :drat: smileys.

How's this?

Edit; timing should be better now.

Popo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 2, 2014

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

E: Seriously, two things to keep in mind. One, the odds are it will get no use out of this thread. And two, the OK pops up with a jaunty little angle, and has that little tremble, so it looks excited. If you want it to be the unimpressed emoticon, maybe have it fade in slowly from black and have a period? So that you don't have to recognize Saitama to get the right message.

Agreed on all points. I was trying to hard to emulate :drat: I don't have time right now but I'll whip up another version after college.

My argument against :geno: (and it's vital we have this argument) is that a OPM version would just be the same emote but with flesh tones. Because his head is so round. It's a bald joke.

Unrelated to emote talk but golly, watching Murata drawing the comic is so great. It's well worth keeping the stream open in another tab and checking in every so often.

EDIT:

Longer stare.

Better?

Popo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 3, 2014

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

New chapter is out in Glorious Nippon.

http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/45/

Those last few pages are pretty worrying...

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Not the last page.
"Blah Blah Blah".

I never said I was worried for Saitama. I suspect Boros is about to find out he was wrong when he said this fight was even. CALL ME CRAZY!

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

Sounds like a cheerleader hero.

Give him the D! D!

But hey, enough of that, here's this instead;
http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/46/

Short but stunning lil' chapter.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

I have some examples from OPM that I think show ONE's art prowess but they are all spoilers for the most recent ONE arc, at times quite big ones. I'll give a rough summary of what's in each for those curious.

As a quick explanation of what I consider good; we're looking at composition and forms, allowing for stylisation choice. The sketchiness is subjective style and I don't think it's something to be used when gauging ability. BECUASE!

Okay!

http://imgur.com/MFl8BDS Super Alloy Darkshine and the big villain for the most recent arc. Even for ONE Darkshine is remarkably sketchy (heh) in this panel but I think it conveys a great sense of motion and despite this roughness the form is still, to me, really clear.

http://imgur.com/izFoT7d Big spoiler A mysterious being that supposedly granted power to one of the minor villains of the most recent arc. ONE sans the sketchyness and showing his ability to draw some creepy loving characters. Also butt. It hits a fine line between looking unnatural yet not so weird that it just looks like nonsense. It's easy to over do this and I think ONE landed it pretty dam well.

http://imgur.com/Bi11ef0 Handsome Mask and Child Emperor getting beat up. Just look at those two top panels. The art isn't Murata level but again, I think the roughness really goes toward conveying the mood. It's more serious and tense than usual but what I really love is the composition and this page is a great example of ONEs eye for this. The first panel is a wide shot and then the second jumps to a close up not of the action but the after effect giving a wonderful idea of how fast the attack was. You just see the character recoiling and a spurt of blood still hanging in the air. I love this page.

http://imgur.com/xuQYJqz Handsome Mast holding a rock. Look at that loving rock. Look at that pose which leaves you in no doubt it's heavy. The only thing that would make this better is some more background detail which goes for a lot of ONEs pages. Everything looks like it's in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber as it is now.

So these are a few pages/panels where I think ONE shows more of his skill. There were some others but I felt they were too spoilery even for this. ONE's not fantastic but he's improving steadily and making it clear the low quality of other panels is intentional and not just lack of ability.

At some point I'd like to go through some of the arcs both versions have covered to do some panel to panel comparisons.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

New chapter is out in Japan.

http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/47/

It's pretty okay if you like loving awesome stuff, I guess! Not too sure about the last spread but drat, Murata once again nailing an immense sense of speed.

Boros getting punched back so quickly the explosion from his burst charge is still going off as he gets blasted back past it.

OPM is enjoyable, folks.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Vire posted:

Is this the first time he didn't pull a punch on a villan?

Asura Rhino arguably received the most serious of punches. Missing his sales is how Saitama undoes his power limiters.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

'Night of the living Baldheads.' Because he is bald.

'You're not he boss of me now' or just 'They might be Giants' would be nice but really the only thing Saitama would get is 'Rich man's World' which both addresses Saitama's money problems and is really lame.

It's power would be to simply sit on his head to keep it warm.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Death Bot posted:

One chapter had a gif in it at some point.

That was removed from the online chapter but the point stands since the Japanese tankobons remove a lot of the spreads or so I have been led to believe.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Sweet Face Handsome Mask needs a Metal Bat to the face and shins.

Even though I knew it was coming I still felt lovely for the Aliens.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

khy posted:

How often do new chapters get released? Is it a weekly thing or just 'whenever'?

Generally he aims to put out new content every two weeks but sometimes this could be a redraw. He also does things like just expanding chapters instead of each release being a new one and the logic can be weird at times. I honestly thought this short little chapter would have been put into chapter 48 but nope, it's 49, because.

ONE is "whenever" since it's his side project he just does for fun.

Next arc, like every new arc, is going to be great. I love the section we're heading into right now.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

You could try his twitter though I dunno if he speaks any English (probably not).

During one of his streams where he was also answering questions he replied to a few fans asking things in English. I wouldn't bother though since if there's something wrong or just not quite right then he'll be the one the jump all over it without needing to be told.

It's a shame he doesn't steam as much as he used to.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

I like Saitama's shirt. It's very fancy.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Gonna say that a flame thrower doesn't seem all that harmless. Those dudes flailing about on fire seemed to not be having fun and seeing that would probably make those not on fire fairly compliant. Strongman and Magician seemed kind of in over their heads though. But who knows? Licenseless Rider could take a serious beating and walk away. Maybe these guys are hardier than they seem?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

I loved this chapter in the original and Murata has done a great job with it though it's hard for him to top ONE when it comes to the intentionally crude art moments. That said, I love how much he's proved the physical setting. In the original it looks like some weird courtyard/void. I can't wait to see what's about to come.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well, of course, but the designs themselves aren't complicated to begin with. I can't quite put my finger on the thing that puts me off, but I think it's something about Genos's face.

I think it's the colouring. Because most manga artists physically colour their works or digitally paint them to look like physical colouring seeing the super flat, cel shaded colouring of the anime designs is off putting. It's an aspect of the uncanny valley.

All that aside, I'm looking forward to this so much. Even if it flops it won't undo the webcomic or manga so it's free to do what it wants and it could be another fantastic rendition of the series.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

why on earth would you put on makeup before clothes?

She's already got her top on. Must be Informal Friday.

I like that she has a picture of her group held with a heart shaped.... thingy.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

You mean a refrigerator magnet?

Yo man, I ain't no science type person what knows if magnets and mirrors are things what work together, I'm just a simple man who knows what's sweet.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Sweetmask has glossy black hair? Would not have called that in a year. All looking very cool though.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

tsob posted:

Is there something weird with the mangamaru site? Every time I've clicked a link there and even if I just try to go to the homepage I end up on a completely blank white page.

I have the same issue. I just go to the Japanese site. It's all unreadable to me either way so it makes no difference.

I always liked Metalbat as a character concept and I'm really glad his actual character has lived up so solidly to expectations. Of course this puts a lot of pressure on Watchdog Man but for now I'm just going to love how awesome this kid is. I'm glad he gets such a good fight against Garou.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

It'll turn out that Metal Bat's sister has powers like Tatsumaki and Fubuki only her's is healing through her voice.

That's not a power, that's FAMILY SPIRIT!

With Metalbats sister, the most I expect is that she'd be a reverse power limiter. When she's around his power doubles or some such since he has to look out for her. That or she'll ask him to come home and help with the new kittens and that's how the fight ends...

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

"It was either become a sword or found the Wu-TAng Clan and that's already been done so here I am."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Just to reiterate: Metal Bat is awesome and everything surrounding him is awesome. That was an excellent fight and just did every character a great service. MB's little sis is a badass.

quote:

Garou is going to go hunt down Watchdog-man instead.

I will fight anyone and everyone who isn't delighted at the chance to see this. Of all the Heroes he's the one I really struggle to picture in a serious, dramatic fight scene (serious insofar as this series can get anyway.)