Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Well, this thread inspired me to read this, then I finally caught up and all I see is something called "One". Anyway, I don't have much to contribute yet except to say this manga is awesome, if a bit repetitive.

But now that I see there's this "One" thing (the original I guess?) I feel like I'm watching the anime and have to deal with manga spoilers. I'm glad a new thread was just made. A lot of the panels are drawn that it feels like an anime as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Level Slide posted:

I think Saitama would like free electricity. That means one less bill he has to pay.

I thought about this a while ago, but what does Saitama do for money?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carnival47 posted:

I think Genos also pays Saitama's rent.

Even if that were the case, Genos came into Saitama's life pretty recently.

JosephWongKS posted:

Now that he's a registered Hero, I'd presume that he gets a stipend or allowance from the Heroes' Association. Before that, he was probably living off his savings from the days when he was still a salaryman.

Saitama repeatedly states he is only doing heroing as a hobby, so you know he's not making money off it.

Even if we assume he were a successful salaryman, living in a Japanese city is hyper expensive, he can't live off his savings.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

7c Nickel posted:

They covered at least part of his cash situation.

He's not squatting and Genos is paying to be a live in butler.

Where does Genos get all this money? I guess they might explain it later in some kind of twist. But it still doesn't answer what Saitama was doing before this.

And honestly, even if Saitama is crazy strong, what does Genos hope to learn? He is a cyborg. He can't really train his body, and the mechanics of his body are likely at least somewhat foreign to the human form so even things like the right way to throw a punch might be different for him.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
NEET is supposed to make us all wish he were punched in the face, but then we wouldn't love Saitama so much. I'm glad the event unfolded the way they did so Saitama showed how great a hero he is, even if NEET's logic was rather awful. Also, it drives the plot. We can't have Saitama recognized as the greatest hero of all time yet.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The most :3: chapter. We need a Licenless Rider Spinoff

Isn't that basically Kamen Rider (except the other way around)?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JosephWongKS posted:

What kind of school is Child Emperor attending that even he needs to attend cram school?

Japanese.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Those loving wings, man.

I only just now noticed those. Did he always have them or is it because he learned something or something?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah, if someone really does buy something like this, the present incarnation doesn't have enough :geno:. That OK shouldn't be giving any fucks at all.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way. I also vote for this.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I love this manga, but I find myself cursing at every chapter ever since I caught up whenever I get to the page saying when's the next chapter.

I was just thinking the same thing. Every page is a work of art though. It's amazing. Did you notice squiggly Saitama on the first page?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

If you're jonesin you can always read the original webcomic version; it's all been translated.

I'm probably just going to wait on Murata, but is the original complete?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'm confused. Am I watching the wrong JoJo? I was under the impression all stand names were <color> + <tarot card> / <tarot card> + <color>.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I hope that guy returns as a hero.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kuvo posted:

when did this chapter happen? i dont remember reading it before

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/242580/onepunch-man_ch34.55_by_nerieru-scans/1

Glad you shared it again because I missed reading it earlier apparently.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

It might seem stupid but I always feel bad about using it when I visit certain websites. They rely on ad revenue to stay afloat since they don't charge for my entertainment.

I feel the same way too. I don't understand how people think everything is going to stay free if ads stop making profit for websites because everyone is blocking them. They're really only making it more adful for those of us playing by the rules.

Everyone keeps talking up King; if ONE's version is following Murata's closely, any ballpark guesses how long until we get to see him in action?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It's so weird seeing him with hair. He looks so much younger. Also his eyes are different. And really most of his face...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rivensteel posted:

Oppai = big boobs?

Since no one answered you already, oppai just means boobs.
Particularly:
1: (Children''s langauge) breasts; boobies; tits;
2: (Children''s langauge) breast milk

Also, while finding more concrete definitions, I have just learned that apparently there is a thing called oppai ice cream: "soft icecream sold in a balloon"

I can honestly say I didn't expect that. I like that somehow Saitama always finds a resolution that feels satisfying, honorable and not like "That wouldn't work if you ever said it to a real person" kind of way that you sometimes end up with these types of heroes in anime.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ONE is being consulted on all of this, right? Like he approves all the designs and changes?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Saitama, stealing someone's game and then deleting their data and breaking their console is not very hero-like!

About the fan comic - I like how "sasuga" went untranslated. It seemed like a cute, decently enough written and drawn comic. I feel the loli monsters definitely reveal the author's motivation to center it around Tatsumaki.

(Also, I thought the Japanese didn't typically name rivers? [I had a much longer draft written rambling about Japanese town and river names and the Ainu, but I guess I should spare you all that.])

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I hope Licenseless Rider doesn't join the group. He's great because he's just a normal person that stands up to evil, a real hero. Saitama's group is great because it's some slightly weird people slowly realizing how to be real heros; Licenseless Rider doesn't real fit in and then he would need unnecessary and probably clunky characterization that would ruin his impact imo. He's probably also got important not-videogame heroing to do.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm also team saw-it-as-purple by the way. Not sure why. The red actually threw me off, especially since I saw that picture so many times and never noticed.

I also agree that Supersonic Speed of Sound isn't supposed to be evil. He's simply concerned with being the best assassin. I think in the context of their universe or story, his actions aren't considered evil. And I don't think he's meant to appear that way. That's why Saitama just lets him go whenever they fight. Boros wasn't necessarily a monster, but Saitama killed him because he was evil. And you can tell SSS wants honest fights and to honor his contracts etc. SSS is True Neutral or even Lawful Neutral at worst imo.

Pri-Pri Prisoner is probably more evil, but he's a hero, go figure.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think it's just an anime trope that when a hero beats a potential villain and the villain rivals the hero and becomes concerned only with their defeat, or just simply is shown to no longer possess an actual threat to the hero, they become considered a large degree of not-evil.
It seems to pop up a lot:
Gurren Lagann, DBZ, One Piece...
Doesn't matter how many people you've killed before, you're redeemable. Which I guess is a nice sentiment?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mystic Mongol posted:

If Lord Genome wants to keep the human population under one million, and Simon wants to kill all the beastmen, then Simon isn't the good guy. He's got to do some genuinely heroic things, or it's just pretty people fighting ugly people.

I meant Viral - you know, Commander of the Human Eradication Army. It's pretty obvious how your earn that title.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yep, also thought the same. I always thought it was weird because I knew Japan didn't have such a bicycle license.

I also vote in favor of Common Rider (not that it matters). Licenseless retains the literal meaning, but not the point of his character that the pun does. And I feel like, as you can see from posts above, the meaning kind of adds confusion. Though I do typically like to favor avoiding sacrificing meaning. I think it's more important that he's a more mundane form of Kamen Rider than why he is, and Common sounds impressively close and immediately you make the connection. Though calling it "perfect" might be a bit much.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's more discussion of One Piece here than on its own thread. :'(
Honestly, I feel like the face thing is really getting overdone. The Ussop thing struck me as especially stupid (though I did find the followup awesome, so I guess it balanced out)

Back to OPM: Not that anyone thought our latest villain stood a chance, but poor Saitama, looks like this one is going to be another disappointment. (Though I guess he's still training technically?)
I'm also looking forward to this tournament arc. I wonder when the onsen episode is going to happen.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Garou made it sound like the other way around: defeating heroes made him stronger.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess it was because of this image maybe:

but I always thought his hoodie was all yellow.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why not just have Murata draw the voices? It'll be so incredibly detailed, you'll actually hear them.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A little late to the discussion on animes making money, but I was under the impression that anime are very costly and have been dangerously unprofitable since torrenting rolled around. And I guess the anime really only serves as an ad for the manga, which then serves as an ad to the webcomic maybe?

Saitama's convinced me. When I finally get me a job, I'll probably go and buy all the volumes (and maybe the DVDs), if only to encourage more ONE and Murata super-duoing.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This would be easier if time weren't modular. Let's just start now and count forward without wrapping. In a few years, watches will be enormous, but no one wears them anymore so it won't be a problem; we will have solved anime time schedules, and all will rejoice.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have to agree with some of the detractors, but I think it's just because it was the first episode. It felt somewhat generic. I feel like if I had showed this show to someone, they wouldn't understand why it was great. Also the fact that I knew when the punches or the plain-faces were coming probably really ruined them for me, but that's inevitable. Though, overall, I think this'll be great as it keeps going.

Also, I forgot how many people get killed so quickly at the beginning...

:( It was a struggle just to find a version to watch overseas, but even then it didn't have the ED or OP.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

I think there's a contractual obligation in Japan that all ED themes have to have the same tone regardless of show theme or context and also to just be poo poo.

Also,

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whoever made those forum tags a while back should go submit them to the contest. I'd vote for them.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cyrus_zane posted:

This special was cool :)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EndOfTheWorld posted:

How else are you supposed to determine how many bears a hero is strong as without a baseline bear to compare it against?

Also Saitama should team up with the bear. The bible teaches us that bears and bald guys are natural allies.

2 Kings 2 posted:
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria Saitama.

Haha, this is awesome. This is clearly the best cleric spell. If God still worked like this, and I could cast Summon Bear once per day, I might get behind this religion. I guess I'd have to shave my head though or do those 100 situps...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

It always pains me to see that was the color choice design they went with for Saitama's hoodie. You can barely see the 'OPPAI' logo on top of that greyish-white fabric, what a waste :(

Yeah, I much more preferred the yellow version.

Gyges posted:

Neither Japanese nor English are sexy languages.

I disagree strongly with this opinion.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Little late to say this, but I also thought it was kind of funny when a manga is better animated than the anime.

Also, I tried showing someone else the anime, and we reached the scene with Genos's lengthy explanation - yeah, my friend was giggling for a while at the beginning, but man, does it go on for forever... It wasn't too too painful to rewatch though.

Overall, really enjoying the anime adaption though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The joke fully delivers on its premise of being intentionally long winded and boring and the visuals do help alleviate it but long winded and boring are not good traits to have, intentional or not, so it's always going to be at least questionable as to whether pulling off long winded and boring is a good thing.

I disagree; Endless Eight should have been longer.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants posted:

MORE COMIC GOODNESS!

OPM #83

I think I missed my chance to read #82. It's licensed in America now, isn't it? It seems to have been taken down everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally caught up on this thread again. You guys posted a lot of little spoilers and then never tagged them even after being called out on it. :/

About the anime:
I really really didn't like the King engine
or Tatsumaki

I always thought of Tatsumaki as a very mature person that everyone treated as a child because of her appearance, not an actual child. The jokes about her being a child seem so much less funny when she also acts and sounds like one.

And yeah, I have to see what first time anime-viewers think, but King's engine didn't sound intimidating. I also thought it was going to be more like an engine. Or at least a more voluminous and bass sound. Some kind of deafening rumble. It was probably the #1 thing I was looking forward to in the anime, but oh well. As long as they do the other King stuff well when it gets to there.

Also, it was a few pages back, but I also thought that Genos was firing blue laser beams. Genos is basically powerless on his own. Dr Stench is the real hero. I also think he was the one that created the rampaging robot. Or maybe the rampaging robot was Genos all along.