Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I watched with the "Boros is actually the protagonist" lens and, wow, that really holds up. If I knew nothing about the series and watched that fight in a vacuum, the way Boros describes himself and how he's always holding back would make me think he's the "One Punch" Man. Granted, I would be confused as to why he's fighting this bald, nondescript caped guy that can keep up with him. (And is the bald guy the villain? He doesn't seem villainous...) The music and heroic cues all go to Boros. Its obvious by the time Meteoric Burst shows up that Saitama outclasses him in every way but Saitama's surprise at Boros' speed at that point, and the kick to the moon, makes you doubt a little bit.

The real "moment" that occurs in the fight is Saitama's "Shut up. Are you done...with all this?" Boros, being the ultimate shonen, would never say "no" but it's obvious the comment took him completely off-guard. Not only had this bald guy completely matched him step-for-step (which no one had ever done) but his remark pierced through all the bluster to the pointlessness of it all. Saitama had acquiesced to a fight and even complimented Boros a few times (hollow, of course) but in his own way, Saitama is begging Boros to stop. Had Boros said, "Yeah, I've had my fun. Let's do this again sometime!" (a la Goku), I'd be curious what Saitama would have said/done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Wow...those moon images are haunting. Extremely well done and God is...yeah.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
This escalated...more. I mean, drat.

Blast going off into another dimension and/or teasing a whole group of unknown heroes that seriously give a poo poo is actually the coolest reveal of the chapter. It's kind of the rebuttal to PS's "altruism is dead" monologue (though Saitama's existence also refutes it).

I'm genuinely excited that I have absolutely no idea how this is going to play out.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
It's funny that Blast DGAF about Garou, PS, giant monsters, etc. "You got this." and then nopes right out.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Julias posted:

You've gotta love the small attention to details. Here's a small thing most people probably missed.

:aaa:

The best factory.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Well that sure was a chapter...

Finally seeing what Blast can do is kind of cool. He seems like a pretty "smart" fighter, as well: throwing that blast knowing that Garou would jump to avoid it and portal'ing him into a punch. The fact that Blast can keep up with Garou at all is pretty impressive. Strangely, even after Garou copied his gravity punch, Blast didn't seem all that concerned. He didn't show any emotion at all until the final panel. He would have bodied pre-God Garou and probably Boros, too.

Will the next chapter be epic? Yes. Is Saitama having an existential crisis? No. But we're being led to believe that. I'm getting Carnage Kabuto vibes from his inner monologue: it's going to be a fantastic gag when he just blows through Garou.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
So Garou sorta was at Saitama’s level. Huh. I mean we all knew Saitama would body him eventually but Saitama had to to grow to do it. He got his fight but then outpaced the competition too quickly.

The back in time zero-punch was an awesome gag. And the color spreads were amazing.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

I assume if the superior garou went back in time to confront Saitama it'd just immediately sharpen the Saitama power curve and he'd surpass Garou instantly.

Correct. Garou would get one hit in and Saitama would immediately eclipse him.

I don’t think Garou approaching Saitama is a fundamental shift in Saitama’s power. Saitama never had to grow all this time (though he was always getting stronger) and up until the point someone could actually register his growth, his power level was effectively infinite relative to those around him. Garou just got to see the growth that was always occurring, and accelerated due to the fight.

It’s Salieri having enough brilliance himself to truly appreciate the genius of Mozart. The competition was always one-sided.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
It's like he a moral sense of right and wrong but it is entirely superseded by his narcissism. A threat to his title of fastest may as well be a threat to his life. Fortunately, his hubris gets taken down about 50 notches during this arc when Saitama, Blast, Platinum Sperm, and Garou all end up being faster than him. I think he even comments in a thought bubble that he went from knowing no one faster to knowing like 4 in the same day. Isn't that sort of Garou's crusade in the webcomic, though? That all the S-class are vainglorious/egotistical sociopaths and you should never count on them?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, he and Genos fought to a standstill and both have improved considerably since their (poor) showings against the Deep Sea King. My assumption this whole time is that Flashy Flash was on a different level above Sonic but apparently they’re not too far apart.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Flashy clowning on all of them, even Sonic. Though the final panel made me giggle.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Employees: 1

I was about to say something similar. Dude works as much as 10 FTEs…

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Blast is such a weird character now. He feels like Saitama-lite but we still don't really what he's capable of. He also appears at the oddest times and disappears when you expect him the most.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Just name the following season “One Punch Man, Season: 4ireworks 4actory”

Yay that the animation looks better than Season 2.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, wut

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I see Saitama as an addict in recovery against his will. Instead of hitting rock-bottom, he built up such an impossibly high tolerance that he literally can't get high anymore so he gives it up. Completely different reasons to quit but same result. One would think that fighting giant monsters and world-ending catastrophes would cause a rush, but alas, nothing. He's still a good guy, though. Bored, but good.

He's also one of the only people in the series that doesn't seem to have anything to prove or anyone to impress. This, perhaps more than anything, sets him at odds with those around him. King, despite being Saitama's foil, closely relates because he's on the opposite end: he knows he's powerless (despite his reputation). He accepts this and tries to make the best of it. Saitama and King being the most "normal" of all the heroes is a central part of the gag.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The end of the arc, prior to the redraw, had Blast appear behind Empty Void out of nowhere and body him. I think One saw this and went “uh, there’s no stakes in this” and upped the ante by having the dude absorb Garou’s god powers.

I am lol’ing that a half-dead ninja appeared just at the right time for a reverse-causality punch to defeat Garou, like anyone could have anticipated it at all. That’s quite the asspull right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Seems like Sonic and Flash are more evenly matched this time around. The original implied Flash had another gear compared to Sonic.