Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm loving this manga more and more every chapter.

I was gonna get this as an avatar:

But getting it under the file size limit is impossible. I was thinking of this:
if anyone can think of a good title for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Unlucky7 posted:

My favorite visual trick in this is whenever Saitama gains any sort of passion (Anticipating/Hoping for a good fight, swatting an annoying mosquito that just won't die), he is drawn normally, in comparison to the rest of the manga. Whenever he is chill or :effort:, he is drawn cartoonishly.

I agree totally. I think it's most notable in his dream about the Underground King when he dreams himself a challenging fight.

So did Murata do this one with an actual flipbook too? Great art in this series. I'm in awe here.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Elbow Joint Panic is a good name for an anime. Probably a tennis slice of life or something.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Saitama can only reach the S rank of heroes if he has enough avatars. I'm talking Homestuck/Gunnerkrigg levels here people.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

I love how the url is "onepanman" even though the text on the cover page clearly says One Punch Man. I'm just gonna assume it's some kind of pun. If anime has taught me one thing, it's that the Japanese loving love puns.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
It's just a horse in a suit.

he doesn't even have hands or anything, it's just a horse. In a suit. Fantastic.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Serious Frolicking posted:

That hole in the ground was the result of Saitama's fight against the house of evolution. I'm guessing that most of the damages were also due to fights in previous chapters.

There's also that time the Underground King showed up to take over the surface world.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The black haired chick also has some weird aura around one hand. Also I don't see the mysterious blond girl with the funky gauntlet things from the cover of each chapter on here either.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

That is really all you need to know.

Yeah comparing power levels in this manga is like comparing height amongst ants when you've got the loving statue of liberty standing right there guys c'mon

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Yeah Shounen Jump Alpha is picking it up. that said, I do hope some other competent group picks it up, since SJA is US only.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

AnonSpore posted:

As an aside, Boon has noted that he's going to stop scanlating OPM once Shonen Jump Alpha's releases catch up to Japan. I checked out the translation of the first chapter that's up on Shonen Jump's site and it was more or less accurate if a bit dry. So there's that, too.

poo poo. I hope someone else competent picks it up then, I'm hooked on this manga hardcore now.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

zerosix posted:

The back stories of the monsters are getting progressively more bazaar.

"I shadow boxed with my pull cord until i turned into a monster!" :allears:

They started of fpretty bizarre. Didn't the first monster Saitama killed turn into a crab monster by eating too much canned crab meat?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I'm hoping that he keeps doing innovative stuff for the raws and doesn't let the fact that the book will eventually be printed limit him too badly, there's a lot of interesting stuff you can do with the online media.

Here's hoping for a flip-book version of some of the animated scenes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

AnonSpore posted:

Well, I dunno. If you saw someone grab a truck and toss it into the air with one hand it'd still be a superpower, even though nobody's throwing around lasers or psychic powers.

It is for us, but if everyone in the world could become that strong just by putting in the effort, maybe not. It's one of those areas where superpowers become kind of iffy to define.

Maybe metahuman abilities is a better term?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I guess I'll need to wait and see the origins of all the S rankers and what their powers actually are and how they got them. Like has been said, it really seems like aside from tech guys like Genos and the two psychic ladies, all the other heroes are just martial artists or well trained but still normal dudes

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
That sort of thing is really what I meant by metahuman. Someone shooting eye lasers, like Cyclops is clearly a metahuman thing, it's an explicit superpower. People like Shang Chi or Lex luthor or Lady Shiva still have abilities way beyond any normal person, but they don't have superpowers, they are just "ordinary" humans.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
It does kinda seem out of character that Genos would be concerned for Saitama at all, from what we've seen so far he idolises Saitama's power in such a way that, if he thinks he has a chance of stopping this meteor, I sdoubt he'd think Saitama would be threatened by it. I imagine he'd think something that could actually hurt Saitama would be WAY out of Genos' weight class.

So to move on past the CIA document here, I'm hoping that when Saitama eventually shows up and solves this problem, because this manga isn't called "Genos kicks rear end", that this is how he finally gets his "hero name". I don;t think he's ever been called anything but Saitama and if he solves a Dragon level threat with just one punch then, well, maybe he will have the title foisted upon him.

Alternatively, he stays as Saitama the whole time for comedy purposes, I can see either happening.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 17, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Nah they are both pretty reprehensible practices. I just don't get scanlation watermarking at all, like, what's the motive behind it? Internet semi-fame? It's just so loving asinine.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
A lot of the time when you hear mangaka and such interviewed they trot out the old "the most important thing in manga is the heart behind it", so often I was starting to think it was getting a lame cliché that bad artists used to cover up their shortcomings. But when you see stuff that Murata and others put out, and you can feel the effort and love behind what they do it really brings home how true that is.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

advokat posted:

On the other hand, Great!, by the same guy, is great, and you should read it because come to think of it, it gives me some OPM vibes. Beware of repeated mood whiplash, though.

Welp, there went my afternoon. It was pretty great though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Everything else being drawn super detailed and Saitama being drawn as a loving cartoon character will never stop being funny to me.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

bondster posted:

On a reread of the current chapter Genos was fighting so hard that he lost half the skin on his face, showing us his cyborg skull

Cool. If you are gonna cyborg up, go full conversion or go home!

Was I the only one hearing music during this fight?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

On the other hand, he somehow eats food?

Let's ask an expert.

Raiden posted:

Well, things have improved a lot in the past few years... But back when I was modded for the first time, keeping artificial blood free of impurities was a huge hassle. Artificial muscles need a constant flow of oxygen from a blood source, just like the real thing. But it was a challenge getting the kidney units as small as they needed to be... We all had to undergo routine dialysis.[...] We generally use glucose-based nutrient packs to keep the brain running. But we can absorb nutrients orally now, too. Whatever we eat's broken down by nanomachines. And we have taste sensors as well. It's not exactly what it was before... The difference is, I can turn those sensors off if I don't need 'em. That's been surprisingly useful.

Thanks Raiden. Thaiden.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Thoren posted:

How many have you guys have begun doing 100 pushups, 100 squats, and 100 sit ups every day?

Well my hair is falling out...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

StevenM posted:

It ruined Yu Yu Hakusho for me and I'm frankly more content to hope it doesn't happen in Onepunch-Man.

Yu Yu Hakusho isn't that bad. Yusuke is like 1/1080th demon, and the whole point of his powers was that they only awakened because he was the first descendant of whatsisace to actually develop his own powers enough for his Granpppy to take an interest.

Just about every shounen has this in spades though. Was it really essential to have the Uzumaki be an offshoot of a clan that is descended from Ninja Buddah? Did Ichigo really need to be at least four different kinds of ghost? And (to use a reference no one will remember) did Astro really need to be the ACTUAL Prince Bulge?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Liar posted:

Saitama is out to find a challenge. Saving people is just what happens to happen along the way.

The reason Saitama became a hero is because, when he was a normal guy, he risked his life to save a child from a giant crab monster. Actions speak louder than words.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Carnival47 posted:

People tend to react very badly when they are confronted with an irrational event such as the idea that Saitama can gain godlike powers through 100 pushups, situps and squats.

Aside from a psychic chick and a mech/cyborg or two every hero in the Heroes Association is apparently super powerful just through exercise or martial arts training so it's not THAT strange for the people in this world.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Soylentbits posted:

Misdirection. Fake weights. Prepared damage floor with tear away coverings. Rope tricks.

A decent magician could probably fake all of that with sufficient preparation.

Looks like Mr Satan is in the Hero Association committee.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

RatHat posted:

Except there's also the massive jump Saitama made to punch it.

Yeah, him pushing the building hallway into the ground by jumping off it is impressive enough.

Did the Metal knight drone stick around? I mean, I know that he didn't care if it was destroyed, but it'd probably be prudent to attempt escape anyway, even just to save the hardware cost.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Just looking at the art, with no comprehension of what is happening, but S-9 appears to just be Metaknight

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Say Nothing posted:

Notice Saitama is sitting at the head of the table, which is probably why Chibi-Tornado looks so pissed off.

My favourite bit is that they clearly have just set out enough chairs for all the S-class heroes, and had to pull up an extra chair because Saitama is there (and they are leaving No 1's empty for some reason), but Genos gave his chair to Saitama and took the extra one himself :v:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Murata himself retweeted the video. That must be pretty awesome.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Gyges posted:

I would assume that scanalations would turn up in a couple days or so. Lord knows being able to buy it same day as Japan hasn't stopped the scans of most of the other mangas in jump.

Well, I know for a fair number of them (One Piece, Naruto etc) part of the reason is that the scanlations usually come out before the chapter is released in Japan.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I just hope they do a volume release of OPM, since I prefer to purchase my manga in that format anyway and I still have a few cubic feet in my house not taken up with WSJ volumes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Saitama's "are you done yet" really emphasizes that he is so bored and disappointed with this fight at this point he is just standing there and letting Boros hit him out of sheer can't-be-hosed-ness. It's great.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
He DOES have a perfectly round head...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

GoldenPrice posted:

New chapter.

These last few have been a little short.

They seem to coming out faster, though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
That chick's clothes are loving painted on, Jesus.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Genocyber posted:

I'm of the opinion that pretty much anyone Saitama's fought with that was not an outright joke by normal standards (like the bald power suit dude) is probably equivalent of an S-rank hero, if not higher (Boros, possibly Asura Rhino).

Yeah, it's funny because of Saitama's power scale, there's nothing like the normal shounen style power progression, for all we know off-brand Piccolo from the first chapter is the most powerful person Saitama's fought so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Hmm... Lord Beerus vs Saitama would be pretty sweet. Though I guess Saitama would have to, like, jump to reach him all the time.