Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This poo poo is ridiculous. In the best possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sharktamer posted:

That or even just comparisons of the more amazing panels. I've been reading Mob Psycho 100 and ONE can really churn out some amazing panels even if the artistic quality is a fraction of what Murata can produce. Would be interesting to see how good the originals are.

While yea, ONE isn't anywhere remotely near Murata, I genuinely think his art is really good.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boros was the only non-human to take more than one punch and survive, Saitama even comments on how incredible that is and that he is really powerful.

Of course no one saw the actual battle so it's irrelevant to him getting a job promotion :v:.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Remember when the planet's anger manifested itself to destroy all humanity for its crimes? How a single entity with the power to wipe man's hubris away appeared, forcing mankind to unite its efforts or have its cities swept away like sand castles before a vast and uncaring ocean?

Yeah, that was chapter one.

Yea, exactly. I think most of the creatures Saitama fights early on (especially Asura Rhino) are way above the average S-Rank. The storytelling is good because there's a tension buildup in the story as a whole, but only because we start to see the point-of-view of other characters - we see mostly Saitama early on and he's just walking around casually one-punching things to death.

Of course the entire joke is that Saitama's "power level" doesn't matter, and it's incredible how someone can write a story around that premise without getting boring.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eej posted:

ONE is Japan's GRRM.

I think you mean Miura.

tsob posted:

I have, OPM is better by far in my opinion - though I seem to be much in the majority in that regard.

I think Mob Psycho is great and all - one of my favorite mangas in fact - but I have way, way more fun reading OPM.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Honestly I couldn't care less if Murata stopped doing it as long as ONE doesn't stop writing.

Yeah, exactly. Not that I'm not constantly amazed by how obscenely gorgeous Murata's art is, but there's a reason Murata picked it up in the first place.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dipwood posted:

So you're saying this world behaves with the same laws as Planescape: Torment.

It's the same concept of Tulpa, Thoughtforms and Egregores. It's a common theme, wishful thinking influencing reality. JRPGs and Final Fantasies do it all the time (X and XIV immediately come to mind). Japanese writers in particular seem to favor it but there's plenty of western fiction using it as the basis for their world too, American Gods being a good example (as well as every work that uses the theme "Gods exist because people believe in them").

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaskedTai posted:

As another die hard Kamen Rider fan, I'd have to say these are both great choices for those who have a modicum of interest. But that's neither here nor there in a OPM thread.

I think Common Rider, even if it's not a 1-to-1 translation from Japanese, is a great compromise.

Common Rider is indeed pretty drat good.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aurain posted:

Read ONE's version, get incredibly hype for some of the things that will happen in Murata's do over because of that.

This is the proper way.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These are good panels to compare, PaganGoat.

ONE's framing is so good Murata just copies 1 to 1, it's pretty amazing. He does a pretty great job at Mob Psycho too.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For the people who cared about the anime being censored - the "explosions" are slightly more subdued with the gore covering a smaller part of the panel, the animations are a bit more exaggerated than you'd imagine, which isn't bad considering the change in the medium. The eye pulling scene in particular is super exaggerated which goes in line with what someone said about making it so surreal you can't feel gross about it, but it's way better than just removing the scene altogether. There's blood here and there, one of the enemies explode in a shitload of blood when punched. Most scenes are very 1 to 1 with the manga overall, and there's a clear attention to the combat animation.

Y'all be fine.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crain posted:

I'm so loving happy.

Side note: There better never be any real explanation for how or why Saitama is as strong as he is.

I also don't mean the explanation saying that he did 100 push ups and 100 sit ups and blah blah.

I'm talking about stuff along the lines of DBZ finally explaining that Goku/Vegeta kept getting stronger and stronger because a Sayin gets a power boost whenever they are defeated and live (or are revived). Or that they're descended from legendary people, etc.

I want Saitama to remain completely baffling to everyone with his power.

Like Ak Gara said there doesn't need to be any official explanation because it's already in line with what we know of OPM's universe. It's just the recurring theme of thoughtforms/egregores/willpower manifesting into reality that Japanese authors love to use. Saitama believes his 100 push ups made him insanely strong, therefore he is insanely strong. FFX and FFXIV have the same plot for example.

I do think some of the more savvy characters like Fubuki are eventually gonna figure it out though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I imagined his voice exactly like the one he got. A very reserved voice like he's a nobody, in contrast with exaggerated high-pitched voice or edgy cool lower-pitched voices.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prison Warden posted:

Did Saitama use Consecutive Normal Punch on the lion dude in the manga? Seems a bit early to be pulling out the big guns like that.

He did, both in ONE's and Murata's.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bad Seafood posted:

Strong -> Stronger -> Strongest -> Strongester

Every problem in the world could easily be solved by applying Super Hexagon naming conventions.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy poo poo.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keeshhound posted:

I like that he doesn't look so much hurt as exasperated/confused.

It's like "Why does everyone keep going on about me being bald?"

Saitama's face reminds me of the little monkey in Futurama when he finds out Fry is offending him gratuitously. The pure shock.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, pretty much. The story with Saitama is great, the story with everyone else is also great. And they work even better together.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrong thread

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 28, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flashy Flash, also known as Narcissistoic.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's mind-blowing how they keep making these fights so exciting. We all know how they're gonna end from start.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also being a monster is kinda like a deal with the devil. Humans have unlimited potential as long as you keep believing in yourself. Monsters are a quick route to gain a shitload more power, but you become stuck and can no longer grow. It's perfect for people with low willpower, or at least it would be if every monster didn't get immediately killed.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mumen Rider is not obsessed with power. Saitama literally wanted to become a hero who one-punched monsters, Suiryu wanted to be so strong he would beat anyone and have a easy life, Tanktop genuinely believes his tanktop gives him unnatural strength.

As long as you're dumb enough to believe you don't have limits, you won't. Mumen doesn't care about those things, he only wants to do what he feels is right. That's why he's a true hero.

Edit: I bet Genos is going to be the first character to figure out that the reason he can't be as strong as Saitama is because he overthinks it too much and thus can never be as naive as he was.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 10, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's literally the shounen fighting spirit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd imagine they came from someone who was a guy who wanted to turn everyone into monsters so much he became a monster that produces monster-turning cells.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Isn't a theme of the Manga obsession? The characters are seem obsessed with something and become what they are obsessed with. Saitama wants to be a great hero - and is. The monsters created from humans are the product of obsession (crab dude, shadowboxing dudes), Fubuki is consumed with her obsession and insecurities about her sister.

It's not a perfect fit but it seems to be a big theme.

I've been saying this for a while, this is a common theme in Japanese media. Egregores/thoughtforms are a common basis for Japanese fantasy. In OPM's case, it's the root for the world the characters live in. Since OPM is a parody of the traditional hero/shounen tropes, it's a good fit because Saitama takes the notion of "willpower gives you strength" and parodies it to the absurd.

American Gods - Not Japanese, but Gods exist because people believe in them. The stronger the belief, the more powerful they get. Supernatural did something like this too.

Berserk - Very similar to American Gods. God states that he exists because people needed to believe something bigger than them had to exist in order to justify the evil in the World. He is called "Idea of Evil".

Final Fantasy XIV - Gods come from people believing in them. They need Crystals to give them strength, but otherwise can be made manifest by any type of willpower. People can will themselves into being Gods, people can even fool themselves into being Gods if their willpower is strong enough. Some lady believed that she could be used as a vessel to Shiva so she became her imaginary version of Shiva. Later they explain that she was never a vessel and that she just became a "Goddess of your own creation". Much like in OPM the characters in their world are trying to understand what are the rules for people's transformations. Also much like in OPM people are constantly blindfolded by how there doesn't appear to be any sort of rule other than how much obsession you need to have.

Final Fantasy X - People's dreams can come true and become reality. The bigger the change to reality, the more people are needed to be dreaming about it.

And so on.

The concept is usually attributed to be of Buddhist origin and is used a lot in mysticism. Western mysticism over time took it on a less literary note (to the point where some writers treat magic purely as self-hypnosis). OPM is a parody of many things, and one of them is the trope that belief turns into reality.

Shiva believed that she was a vessel to a Goddess and became a Goddess. Saitama wanted, specifically, to be a guy who killed monsters with one punch. Tanktop believes his tanktop gives him inhuman strength. Genos tries to approach everything logically and with technology. He has no blind faith in something as stupid as either of them.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 1, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

violent sex idiot posted:

he's between pig God and the food cart

I think you're mixing Boros with Drive Knight, unless I'm missing something.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Praising Murata's drawing skills is never hyperbolic.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hate-Senpai posted:

Yeah, if you can be rebuilt or regenerate, your defenses have the consistency of wet paper and you're liable to become swiss cheese.

I mean, I guess that's keeping things balanced, cause imagine if you had a dude who was strong as diamond but could also regenerate.

Diamonds are fragile. To clarify: Hardness is (almost always) inversely proportional to toughness, think of shattered glass. If Genos was made of Diamond then nothing would change really given how easily he breaks.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 15, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I learned English while playing 90's console games with a dictionary my father gave me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think he's far off. The issues he describes are commonplace in Japan and used thematically a lot by mangakas to criticize the system. There are way more abstract animes that are almost entirely dedicated to critizing the subject, and ONE himself had a lot of career issues when deciding to become a full-time artist.

I mean, I don't think ONE explicitly thought "this guy is the businessman who eats way too much" but the general gist of criticizing an obsessive society with a tunnel-vision in a robotic career lifestyle is not really too far off, given that he explicitly does that through Saitama and he has pretty good reasons to given his career choices. Mob is also very heavy on political/social issues so ONE is clearly self-aware of these elements.

ONE works are fundamentally about real life and the issues Bill describes. Saitama finds out that being super-powered does jack poo poo for his real world life and there's an emphasis on simple stuff like buying off sales and not wanting to burn his clothes. The hero association, which deals with outlandish stuff far outside anything in the real world, still acts like the most souless corporation possible and is ultimately just a regular business like any other. Mob is pretty much all about another super powered character not wanting to be corrupted and not using his powers to deal with real life stuff, while a sleazy salesperson tries to leech off of him. Bill Burr is spot on, especially the part about getting high and watching a bald dude explode stuff.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 12, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mob psycho bores me to death.

With that said it is very good and well written.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So good.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to reiterate on how loving good this is.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lots of pretty good jokes this chapter. I'm glad about the Watchdog Man outcome.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parrotine posted:

How many more hints can ONE drop before he outright spells it out that SOS is related to FF?

I don't know how trustable the sources are but according to wiki Murata has already confirmed in 2016 that to be the case.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Obviously, on a fidelity level ONE just can't compare to Murata but the posing in this ONE panel is just superb.

His art ability is Saitama level in everything except from actually drawing/painting, which sounds like a monkey's paw kind of wish but he makes it work anyway because he's the greatest.

I was gonna bring that up. Seeing the two panels side-by-side makes me think of how good ONE is.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They seem to have a crazy amount of reverence for each other.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's genius-level art.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He posted one of his kid's drawing once and she's already fantastic.

And I know I post this a lot but ONE is insanely good. I'm glad that Murata gave him that shout-out.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 6, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't have any, someone posted in one of these threads many months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UchihaHirou posted:

135 two-page spreads

Griffith is gonna look pretty good.