Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Mordaedil posted:

It's funny how little people understand why these decisions are made.

I can say the same thing about the 737 Max but like this anime, the final product is still flaming wreckage.

Nanigans posted:

Whatever your feelings on this season, blame the production company, not the actual artists. I hope everyone knows it's not their fault.

It's almost always the managements fault. Season 2 looks exactly like you would expect if they were told to redraw everything in between each episode release and they only hired half the number of animators needed to do it in the first place. It's unfortunate and I don't think anyone blames the artists who are probably being literally flogged to produce content faster at this point so that the producer can get a bonus.

Still not as bad as that Berserk wiggle walk someone posted earlier. That genuinely made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

It could just be that they didn't have time to do it correctly and just copied the timing and poses from another scene they had on hand (or found on Youtube/etc).

There's something deeply fundamentally wrong going on, and everyone notices it. Someone needs to crack and give us more details.

The reuse that "machine gun hands" effect diret rip like 3-4 times in that episode. You can tell that they are seriously time constrained and or cutting budget wherever they can.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

if those are the only two bits maybe he is just a thug with a bat?

personally i'm pretty ok with that

He's got swagger

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Well, the animation has gotten better in the last 2 episodes. It's high point is still well below season 1's low point but it's on par with decent anime average. I'm a bit disappointed that the Suiryu fight wasn't smoother but not surprised.

loving sucks about Murata's Dad. Hope the guy gets all the time he needs.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
The worst part is probably that they cut the whole sequence of "strong vs a hero" where Mumen Rider puts his life on the line to slow the hospital monsters down to contrast with Suiryu's might makes right screed. It's kind of important in what's probably the next episode and I think it's gonna fall flat.

Hace posted:

you are insane

Well, the bar was set extremely low by an almost total lack of animation at all earlier. At least fewer of the shots are still frames sliding across the screen on flash vectors, excepting Saitama floating up to the ring/wall.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
I would just like to remind everyone that Orochi served the story purpose of being a giant that explodes into laser spewing Chinese dragons which then do Kung-fu with their tiny T-Rex arms and that he is going to look absolutely terrible when animated as a stiff CG blob moving at 3 frames per second with whoosh panels penciled over as kung-fu effects.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Sorry Genos; you tried, but Flashy Flash and Saitama are the comedy OTP.

So Saitama has 4 ninja speedsters who want to kill him because he "saw through their attacks". I hope that eventually he has like 20 or 30 that just follow him around as a mob and constantly get stuck in doors and stuff.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Has Maruta been reading the r/ImSorryJon subreddit? drat that was a good face.

It's the classic Chesire Cat face, but yes, it was very good.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

skaianDestiny posted:

Obligatory "better animation than season 2".

I mean, I wasn't gonna say it but....

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

ONE is improving, isn't he. He always had some good fundamentals, but I feel like that drawing is better than any he's put out before.

It makes sense, many great artists developed because they wanted to paint hot girls. And one has been hanging around Murata.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm not! It's just, there's always a few of them in every community on the internet, no matter where OPM is being discussed, who seem like they're just waiting for a pin to drop and the chance to discuss major webcomic spoilers when people are talking about stuff in the manga, generally not only unasked for, but even when people have asked them not to.

It's like when books or comics or manga get a moving-pictures adaptation, but it seems even worse than usual, because some of them have some weird chip on their shoulder about the manga version of OPM compared to the webcomic version, and THEORIES about how Murata is making stuff up and distorting ONE's vision or some such garbage, and it gets weird, man.

I hope it doesn't happen here! I'd rather not know how the Garou thing progressed in the webcomic, myself, since, as mentioned, I've chosen to be a manga-only reader, myself (I think ONE is a genius, just to be clear, and an amazing artist in his own right, but...yeah, what can I say). I'd like to spare others that...opportunity?...if possible.

Snape kills dumbledoor

Also, Garou's Spine is the greatest hero. No matter how broken it looks, it still gives him amazing support!

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
I change my previous answer, the most supportive character in OPM is that snake lady's bra.

Bleach will always hold a special place in my heart because it turned out that the main character's powers actually came from Hitler, so it was in fact, a swastika sword.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Zzulu posted:

I didn't see the whole series but I remember the Rock Lee fight vs the sandguy and that it was a really cool fight for the time. Shame to hear he never amounted to anything much

He goes to have his big moment at the very end of the manga but then the other characters just tell him no and he stands to the side and watches the whole final fight while doing nothing.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

The thing that sets Naruto apart in these discussions is that straight up, the only truly atrocious stuff is all in the Fourth Ninja War. Just about every other part of the story is somewhat salvageable if not great as a stand-alone part. Even Madara is an appropriately built up and meaningful villain. Also I take umbrage with the Sasuke is abusive stuff, because he flat out has no desire for a relationship with any of these people and is actively trying to get them to leave him alone, he sees them as enemies not friends or romantic partners; this doesn’t make it okay, but he absolutely would be stoked if Naruto and Sakura just let him go away and live his life (Karin is a different discussion and is yes, super gross on every level for it).

There was troublesome stuff in Naruto even early (the authors treatment of women for instance) on but it tends to get ignored because the overall quality was high and the central themes were good. Unfortunately the quality of writing in Naruto followed a consistent accelerating downward curve with the inflection point being somewhere around the time skip. By the last arc, it was just a screaming elevator to hell so it gets brought up a lot.

Someone earlier mentioned that OPM doesn't attempt to have conflict but rather spectacle. That's sort of true, but the there is plenty of conflict in OPM, it just isn't conflict through pure violence. A lot of the story revolves around Saitama overcoming ennui, License-less Rider overcoming his powerless in the face of adversity, etc. The violence is just a set piece for the actual conflict which is of a personal or interpersonal nature. It's good writing. It's also a great spectacle which is a cherry on top but it stands fine even when the spectacle is murdered like the animation in Season 2.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

FooF posted:

I watched with the "Boros is actually the protagonist" lens and, wow, that really holds up. If I knew nothing about the series and watched that fight in a vacuum, the way Boros describes himself and how he's always holding back would make me think he's the "One Punch" Man. Granted, I would be confused as to why he's fighting this bald, nondescript caped guy that can keep up with him. (And is the bald guy the villain? He doesn't seem villainous...) The music and heroic cues all go to Boros. Its obvious by the time Meteoric Burst shows up that Saitama outclasses him in every way but Saitama's surprise at Boros' speed at that point, and the kick to the moon, makes you doubt a little bit.

The real "moment" that occurs in the fight is Saitama's "Shut up. Are you done...with all this?" Boros, being the ultimate shonen, would never say "no" but it's obvious the comment took him completely off-guard. Not only had this bald guy completely matched him step-for-step (which no one had ever done) but his remark pierced through all the bluster to the pointlessness of it all. Saitama had acquiesced to a fight and even complimented Boros a few times (hollow, of course) but in his own way, Saitama is begging Boros to stop. Had Boros said, "Yeah, I've had my fun. Let's do this again sometime!" (a la Goku), I'd be curious what Saitama would have said/done.

Given how Saitama reacted to all the other villain attacks, he probably would have told him to pay for the property damage and then let him go. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head where Saitama kills anything that isn't actively attacking or destroying something and a few times he even is upset that he accidentally killed them (typically before they could pay for property damage).

I also liked that Saitama's super move is just him putting in effort. Like at that point, Saitama basically says, OK Boros, I'll give you the fight you're asking for and throws a real punch for the first time in the series. It's even animated like a real punch with him throwing his weight into it while the others were fairly cartoony. It kind of highlights that Saitama's super move series is just him putting in some effort and he could probably throw "Serious Punches" all day long, but it's got to have a super move name because because Hero's have names for their finishers. Then you get a pan out to the clouds to show just how outclassed Boros was the entire time.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Attack and dethrone God.

Speaking of which, when's onepuch man going to throw a onepunch?

With Murata it's about the journey. The horny horny journey.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Saitama after reading what it adjusts for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcKoAgLd6NQ&t=976s

Between all the fire and losing his arms this feels more like a Genos fight to me.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

Presumably he got that place back when he was fresh out of school and job hunting, and then the rest of the city evacuated due to monsters.

It was evacuated during the mosquito attack at the beginning of the series. People were depicted as living there despite the massive monster attacks until then and I think Saitama just doesn't worry too much about the fact that no one is coming by to collect rent. He still has utilities after all.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
The fighter jet is hilarious but I agree the pacing has gotten awful. I think they'd be better off keeping the pacing and getting through this arc and then doing some filler stuff to let the web comic get ahead if that was the concern. Orochi would have been far better if he just accepted getting punched.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
It's clearly Boros slowly powering up for round 2

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Eh it doesn't actually seem that different. The cadres are just now reaching the surface. Orochi is (hopefully finally) killed and psychkosis used orochis built in ejection seat. We (thankfully hopefully) aren't immediately introducing a new super monster to fight right now. Saitama and Flash are getting a slow teleport to the surface. The hero's are slowly reverting back to bickering.
Telepathy box and Blast showing up are completely new but don't actually directly impact any events between the webcomic and the redraw, just some big foreshadowing. The biggest differences are still the same as they were 2 comics ago which are where all the heroes are currently located. In the webcomic most of them were still underground at this point with just a few fighting on the surface.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Yea, I think the cubes are totally new but seem to be a plot device that connects back to Homeless Emperor's God which isn't new. Getting a peek at Blast's Hobby/motivation is totally new and interesting.

Not sure if that's a spoiler or not, too much witting and re-writing has gotten me confused.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Unit24 posted:

What's the best way to stay caught up on the redraw? I used to use Mangadex but it stopped updating.

I just use this thread. It pretty much only updates when there is a release.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Why are people convinced that Blast's warping is slow like an escalator?

The rule of cool. We have to give all the S-class their amazing lovingly drawn rematch fights before Saitama shows up and one punches the problem sometime next year. Murata can literally not help himself.
Also because Blast said that time was moving really slow wherever Flashy Flash and Saitama are.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

He's a handy guy to have around, that's for sure.

He's the right hand man of the association for a reason.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Zzulu posted:

He should just do season 3 tbh

I mean there's more animation in that clip than all of season 2.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
King is actually super powerful because he's full of midichlorians.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
The season 1 to 2 quality jump in OPM was on the order of those Disney direct to VHS sequels. It was stunning just how much it collapsed and then there was all the stuff that came out about the studio manager hating on the author.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
So whose making this one?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Clearly it's another centipede

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

NowonSA posted:

I hope ONE avoids giving the manga a central protagonist and just creates 47 interesting heroes and 47 interesting villains for them to fight, and then we watch as that massive list on both sides slowly gets whittled down in fun shonen combat scenes.

Alternatively about the people who do logistics for 94 fated warriors and all fighting occurs off page.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Saitama is also thirsty for a good grocery sale. Discount beef baby.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

neo-cruelty world is dark eldar?

Or just humanity hit the singularity but it turns out that even after obtaining unlimited energy, post-scarcity production, the ability evolve on demand, and become superhumanly smart, people are still racists and 4channers and whatnot.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

See the difference between Genos normally and King controlling Genos is that on his own, Genos moves fast enough to leave an afterimage behind.

King on the other hand is such a gamer that he can have Genos turn off the lights and be out of the room before the room gets dark.

King controlling Genos would be like watching an any% glitch enabled speedrun.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Neo Humanity: Look Fire, Carry a Shiv

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
I finally realized what neo-humanity reminds me of. They fight like fire ants.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I wonder if that giant was unaware it had the parasite inside of it or if the parasite was fully in charge and puppeteering it about?

It's basically just

Sally posted:

aw sweet John Carpenter's The Thing!!

So pick whichever one is more horrifying.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

bitmap posted:

do we actually have any realistic idea how strong sonic is? I mean he gets his dick punched by saitama but that tells us nothing

He got dick punched by Saitama and didn't explode into a cloud of gore. S class+ for sure.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
One of the ninjas is actually Phoenixman after he put on a ski mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Zereth posted:

If God is a higher dimensional being they could've watched the entire Saitama vs Garou fight and figured out where it was going to end and placed the guy in the right spot, or told him to go there.

Imagine being God and looking through space time to the end of all things and just seeing a fist coming straight towards your face and being utterly unable to stop it.