Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My favorite visual trick in this is whenever Saitama gains any sort of passion (Anticipating/Hoping for a good fight, swatting an annoying mosquito that just won't die), he is drawn normally, in comparison to the rest of the manga. Whenever he is chill or :effort:, he is drawn cartoonishly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

tsob posted:

I feel like the odd man out, because while I find this a stunning looking and interesting manga I don't find it parcticularly funny. I read through all 18 chapters yesterday and can only recall laughing out loud once, which was at the punch in the balls. Maybe I'm just juvenile or something I guess. I do find it interesting enough to keep reading at the very least, and it's definitely great looking so I'm hoping that it'll get more fun as things go on with the introduction of more heroes and so on, but everyone else keeps praising it's humor and I'm just not feeling it :(

I think I was expecting the wrong thing though when I read it for a start, because the OP made me think it'd be more thought provoking than it is with the line that it was about the main character having an early mid life crisis and pondering the nature of strength etc. There's a bit of that, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. Oh well.

To me, the humor is in seeing what is a relatively traditional shonen manga setup (Genos would be the main character of his own book anywhere else, and the House of Evolution arc would have lasted at least a volume) be completely and utterly destroyed by a main character who is already the strongest being in the universe. Saitama accidentally activated God Mode, and everyone else is either dumbfounded or upset that their rules are being stomped all over.

Also, Ninjas smashing their junk into a man's fist at high speeds.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 5, 2012

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nasgate posted:

For someone after reading this, I would summarize it as Saitama being so strong, he is accidentally beating up the Shonen Genre.

Ya know what? I like the way your put it better.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I always meant to go ADTRW ambassador and post this in BSS, but I can't decide between posting it in the Funny Panels thread, or the Badass Panels thread.

I mean, yes, they are all humorous, but the art is badass, so...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo, how did I not notice page 27 of chapter 19 till now :allears:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hope I am not the only one kind terrified by the page close up of Sonic smiling in chapter 14 :gonk:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, what's the song from? I really want to get a good dose of teenage angst.

That is from Sum 41, "Still Waiting", I believe.

Aw drat, why do I still have a soft spot for the lovely songs I loved in High School :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

AnonSpore posted:

Anyway, to move away from the topic of terrible scanlation groups: it's a bit old, but this short from Murata is pretty goddamn amazing.
Holy poo poo that is amazing.