Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

navyjack posted:

I think that Martian society is incredibly fascinating in these books. The Gevulot, the Quiet...I would read an entire series that revolved around the Investigator and the Gentleman solving crimes in a world where reality has privacy settings.

Someone said something about Martian animals attacking the moving city. I think they are more like the minmints/Karakuri from the Richard Morgan novel "Woken Furies." Self-aware, self-replicating combat machines.

Weren't they terraforming machines?

The Investigator's cases would make a great short story collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
One thing's already clear from this thread - I need to carve out some time to reread both books and see what all I missed or misunderstood.

One thing confuses me about the Sobornost vs. zoku and quantum computing: the Sobornost generating artificial singularities on Venus in order to produce prodigious computational density on an evaporating event horizon. Near the Planck limit that process can't be described classically.

The Sobornost must have recorded the 'output' of the singularity and still have access to Sydan's information/gogol if Mieli is willing to serve Pelligrini to get her back.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Date on Amazon says July 15, at least in the US.

• Locked thread