Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«24 »
DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Just got officially accepted into the Paul Bunyan Comedy Festival in Oscoda, Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

Just got officially accepted into the Paul Bunyan Comedy Festival in Oscoda, Michigan.

Congrats

Bompacho
Nov 28, 2005

FYI If any of you write topical jokes and want to get more out of them before the 24 hour news cycle kills them, you can submit them to
BBC's Newsjack https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kvs8r and possibly get paid for them if they pick your jokes up.

(They will accept jokes from anyone, anywhere despite being based in the U.K.)

----
Congrats DocDelaware on the Festival!

I decided that I would skip the festivals and fringe shows this year and focus on diversifying my skill set.

They're huge out here, but generally you turn up to a major city and just hemorrhage money for 4 days in the form of flights, accommodation and food, then fly home having maybe broken even on the flights.

It's a detriment to comedy in Australia that major cities are so far from each other.

That said 2019 has been solid for me so far,

I picked up a side gig writing for a small Community TV comedy show that pays per skit/one liner, Picked up a job hosting pub trivia once a week and, I launched a Podcast.

I've been asked to pop into one of the commercial radio studios once a month and riff on the news with them for 30 minutes. I'd done the segment a couple of times but to be asked back as a regular is pretty special. I got to do the same thing on local ABC radio (Australia, so our regional PBS basically) last week and an Australian comedy icon I'd grown up watching was there and I got to meet him. That was super exciting.
And it sounds like there's a second, paying, writing job on the way in 2020.

This year I've finally learned to unashamedly ask for what I want and mostly people have been happy to help so that's nice. My goal is to be out of my 9-5 finance job by the end of 2020.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Bompacho posted:

FYI If any of you write topical jokes and want to get more out of them before the 24 hour news cycle kills them, you can submit them to
BBC's Newsjack https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kvs8r and possibly get paid for them if they pick your jokes up.

(They will accept jokes from anyone, anywhere despite being based in the U.K.)

----
Congrats DocDelaware on the Festival!

I decided that I would skip the festivals and fringe shows this year and focus on diversifying my skill set.

They're huge out here, but generally you turn up to a major city and just hemorrhage money for 4 days in the form of flights, accommodation and food, then fly home having maybe broken even on the flights.

It's a detriment to comedy in Australia that major cities are so far from each other.

That said 2019 has been solid for me so far,

I picked up a side gig writing for a small Community TV comedy show that pays per skit/one liner, Picked up a job hosting pub trivia once a week and, I launched a Podcast.

I've been asked to pop into one of the commercial radio studios once a month and riff on the news with them for 30 minutes. I'd done the segment a couple of times but to be asked back as a regular is pretty special. I got to do the same thing on local ABC radio (Australia, so our regional PBS basically) last week and an Australian comedy icon I'd grown up watching was there and I got to meet him. That was super exciting.
And it sounds like there's a second, paying, writing job on the way in 2020.

This year I've finally learned to unashamedly ask for what I want and mostly people have been happy to help so that's nice. My goal is to be out of my 9-5 finance job by the end of 2020.

This is great. Good for you. Thanks for the BBC submission link. When I'm paying attention to the news, I love writing topical jokes as a writing exercise, but barely use them. It'd be nice to get something out of it.

I'm in a similar vein. I've been cutting back on stand up to try getting a book written. I'll hopefully have a rough first draft done in a month.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

We just wrapped up Sno Jam 2019. It was awesome.

I got a hug from Kevin McDonald.

«24 »