Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodspaceguy
Jul 23, 2006

It's for you.
I hunted around and couldn't find any threads for active stand-up comedians so I thought I'd fire one up. So where are you fellow goon comics? How long have you been performing? Are you in a "good comedy city" or some tragic backwater town where you have to ask a bar to let you put on a show? What's the most amount of time you've done (did you bomb?)? Have you done the road? I'm curious what your comedy experiences are.

I'm currently in Seattle which has a good open mic scene but pretty much nothing in the way of professional work. You can go up pretty much every night of the week and a couple times a night if you have a car. There are about 100 or so comedians who perform once a week and maybe 30-50 who go out more than that. Personally I've been performing for four years with several gaps and only really consistently for the last year or so. My goal is to move to New York within the year and really try to make a career out of it.

This thread can also be a place where people can ask questions and get advice. You can post videos too, but I'd be inclined to say that having strangers comment on some tape of your open mic set can do more harm than good.

So, comedy goons, show your bitter selves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodspaceguy
Jul 23, 2006

It's for you.

Smeed posted:

This might seem like a stupid question, but I've been throwing around the idea of getting into stand-up but have no idea where to start. How do you guys write your material? Do you just develop it from things that come to you throughout the day or do you actually sit and write? I'm just trying to figure out the first step to putting together material. I live in what I'd consider a tragic backwater city so I imagine open mics to test whats good and whats garbage will be few and far between.

Not a stupid question. I've tried sitting down and writing, and still do it from time to time, but it's an incredibly frustrating process just because stand-up is so tied to an audience reaction. My friends have made it work, but you need to commit around two hours to it. My best description of the process is writing down every funny idea you have then trying it out on stage (I'd suggest watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSLG1scOfa8). The key is just to go on stage as often as you can and figure out what works for you. For your situation I'd suggest finding a "music/poetry/everything else" type coffee shop open mic and asking if you can do stand-up. It's not ideal but it's stage experience.

tintin1983 posted:

I'm working on a blog and try to get some stand up ready. But, I am terrified of getting on stage. I have 2 blogs and a twitter. Can I post links to that stuff here?

I'm not sure how much posting your blog might help with stand-up.. I'd suggest getting over your fear of going on stage though. Even though a lot of comedians look confident and cocky on stage, I can assure you most of them were just as terrified as you are their first time. It's just something you have to push through (and it gives you a sweet little adrenaline rush when it's over).

Goodspaceguy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 25, 2012