Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Banana Pee
Feb 16, 2007

Bana - not long enough. Bananana - dammit!
Chiming in as a fellow comedian who stands up. My act is mostly one-liners and non-sequiturs, so when I put together a set there isn't much common thread between the jokes. This makes it very hard for me to memorize my act, which is currently very fluid as I am still finding my standup "voice". Does anyone have any good memorization tips, so I don't keep relying on a cheat sheet? My delivery and audience reaction are so much better when I don't use one.

EDIT:

Dr. Magnificent posted:

Recorded my set from last night. Did some new stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/trevor-cunnion/trevor-cunnion-the-brewery-1

Side note: If your city has an improv scene it would benefit to get acquainted with it. This was a show with 4 improv groups and me in the middle. The crowds at these are always great.

I'm in tears. Great material, and especially great delivery.

The Banana Pee fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Banana Pee
Feb 16, 2007

Bana - not long enough. Bananana - dammit!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is consider myself a funny guy but I'm terrified that I'm completely unable to separate jokes that are funny to my friends or co-workers and things that a room full of complete strangers would laugh at.

There's only one way to find out. The more you do it the better you'll get. I still tell jokes that suck, but based on audience reaction I can either fix the joke, or know that it's not one to keep in my set. Just keep writing, and doing open mics, and the funny stuff will come organically.