Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Hey Comics,

I'm in SF. Taking a sabbatical after surgery. Even after a week, I feel rusty. Anyone else feel the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Karl Ontario posted:

I know this thread isn't the most active, but I'm looking for some advice. I feel I'm a strong writer, and I've been told as much from some people I know in the area, but I am struggling to get my actual performance to match up with the writing. I'm very laid back on stage and I think it's preventing me from getting more consistent and potentially larger laughs. Any advice to come out of my shell a bit? To become more active on stage? Besides just "do it".

Use your phone to record yourself. Audio and visual. Do your jokes normally on one recording, and in s very exaggerated way in another. Impersonate am energetic comedian in one recording. Watch them when you're done, compare the audience reaction. Compare your physical movements.

If your problem isn't that you don't know what sort of energy to bring, but rather that you feel uncomfortable bringing energy into your act, I find that impersonating wrestling announcers helps me amp up my energy. Also, people get really excited when you holler " let's get ready to ruuuuumble!"

Also, of you want to post YouTube videos for critique I will totally critique your performance.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Karl Ontario posted:

Absolutely, I'd love to hear some feedback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jSN9d68iAI

That's my most recent set from this past weekend (my 8th time up on stage).
Notes as I watch your video:

You're stepping on your punchlines by not giving people enough time to laugh.

You need more bravado. Your light up shoes joke is good and had a good tag, but if you say "... When I lay my beautiful head down on my pillow" and say it like you don't feel confident being beautiful, it's awkward.

I don't know why no one laughed at the going to prison to avoid work joke.

Your energy over all is really low. Strike that- you start out low and seem to gain energy from audience reaction. You're supposed to be putting energy into the audience, not the other way around.

Are you doing the box step on stage?

You've got some really solid jokes and you got good audience reaction. You can improve by maintaining a consistent energy and paying more attention to your on stage movements.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Karl Ontario posted:

Thanks for the honest feedback. I am confident in my writing, I know it's my performance that's hurting it. I'll try to come out more energetic this weekend and see how it goes. I'll also try to be a bit more "in place", not stationary, but less unneeded movements.

I'm really looking forward to when you get the performance party down. You're a funny dude.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Women do not always tie back their hair, and I cannot think of a woman besides Janine Garaofalo who does.

It's important to be able to see someone's facial expressions while they're on stage. If you have a beard, make sure it's brushed and groomed so your mouth is visible.
If you have long hair, make sure it's out of your face.
If you have bangs, make sure your eyebrows are visible due to cut or are accentuated.

They aren't hard rules, but it's helpful for audience empathy from a distance.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Ayyyye guess what neither of those women consistently tie back their hair on stage

Also it's totally possible to keep your hair out of your face without tying it back!

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Ultimately, what you wear is part of your act, and can help get the audience on board with your jokes. Dressing in a certain way can help you get your head in the right place, too, but it's hard to give advice on that sort of thing past "make sure they can tell you have a face."

And depending on the act, challenging that could be funny, too.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Sataere posted:

So did an open mic and I am definitely out of shape. I already know my material isn't the best, but I don't care. I just want to get my legs under me. When the guy flashed that I had 30 seconds left, I thought he was signaling for me to wrap it up, so I ended mid setup and on the most depressing moment in my set. Always leave them wanting more, that's my motto. Can't wait to go back, but the commute downtown was brutal. It was an hour and a half both ways, so I'll need to plan my trips out better, so I'm hitting multiple showcases in a night. Luckily, there is a ton of stuff in the city.

What city are you in? Also: other comics are allies- see if you can't get someone to drive you to mics. This will help both of your motivations.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Sataere posted:

So with my next set, I was thinking of just going up there with some ideas and spitballing, seeing what gets a reaction. Is that something you guys do? I mean, I'm writing it out, but I have some ideas that seem very fluid and could go in different directions if I get some audience interaction. Is this something that is a bad idea when starting out? I'm not fully comfortable on stage yet, but part of me just thinks "gently caress it."

It depends on your personal style. I've had pretty good success doing this, but I've failed hard, too. Just have a couple of your best back ups in your back pocket.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
!!!

Good luck!

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Sataere posted:

So I had my first successful set, added some parts to the set the next day and completely bombed. Man, is this a roller-coaster.

Did you record yourself?

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Sataere posted:

Quoting this because I ignored the advice in here and talked to the audience a bit in my set. It felt natural so I just did it, and it worked.

So Monday was definitely a success. I got through the entire set and I think I did a better job of sounding natural. The first half was definitely stronger than the second half, but that is because I know it better. I even remembered to record myself, which was nice. I could hear where I got uncomfortable with what I was saying. There is a definite change in tone as the piece progresses and not for the better.

Congrats! You must have a talent for it!

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
They're non union, and are making money paying comedians nothing or next to nothing. One of the sf comedians, NATO Green, was a union organizer and has a few articles about them.

Fox claims they don't want to go union because they don't want to how only union performers, but that's not the way that union works- they would just have to pay noon union performers same as union.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
I like this one: http://johnroycomic.tumblr.com/post/54132250195/my-complete-entirely-free-on-line-comedy-class

edit: better link

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Sataere posted:

So I did a set on Saturday and I walked away from it feeling confused. I was bringing out a new set, went up and I felt like I absolutely crushed it. My last couple of trips onstage, I've felt like I'm doing a much better job of sounding like me onstage. I've had this confirmed by some friends, so I think that is definitely a positive.

The issue I have is I walked away feeling like I did great, but when i listened to it, I didn't hear a lot of laughter. I will point out that nobody was laughing the entire night for anyone else, but I had felt I had the audience engaged when I was talking. (This is a bar open mic, so if 25% of the people are listening to me, i consider that engaged.)

Am I over thinking this? I had people telling me my set was good, but I tend not to trust my friends to be unbiased. Can you give a good set without having positive feedback from the audience?

It's just a weird feeling.

What did you record on? Stage/recording services can change the amount of audience feed back.

And yes, you are likely over thinking it

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Also. This is one of my favorite ever sets: Girardi's Frozen Yogurt: http://youtu.be/4vB8qr1IrPg

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

XIII posted:

Record every set. Then listen to it repeatedly and take notes on what works, what doesn't, what you hosed up, what you improvised, etc. If I can't remember a joke idea five minutes after thinking of it, there's no way I'm going to be able to remember that great tag or riff from the night before.

You can't tell you've improved if you have nothing to compare it to.

"Hey, your story about that thing was great!" - your friend, but without the recording, it'll take you 10x longer to figure out why

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Getting people to clap for the host isn't weird. It's a nice gesture.

Someone in the thread mentioned ending with "I'll leave you with this..." I think those signifiers are great. "That's ask my time" "gently caress you, I'm out" etc, depending on your style. I've even heard "one last thing for you to meditate on..."

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
I bombed hard tonight. Can't post it on fb because I bombed doing my boyfriend's favorite joke of mine. That joke is bad. It's more like a skit. :/

How many of you are dating other comics? How do you gebtly tell a friend or loved one they're wrong about a joke?

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
A drunk booker promised me a showcase a while back and never followed up until yesterday! I go up tonight in 30 minutes for 10 minutes.

Please wish me luck. :(

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

The Sean posted:

Can anybody recommend any books or videos for getting started in this space, please?

To contribute: i watched a movie on netlfix that was really interesting. It focuses on Hannibal Buress as he goes on a month sprint of shows at a fringe festival in Scotland. It's interesting in its own right, but interesting, as well, as a behind the scenes look.

This one's good: http://johnroycomic.tumblr.com/post/54132250195/my-complete-entirely-free-on-line-comedy-class

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Wtf do you mean, gently caress other comics? Who books you for shows in your town?

Maybe it's weird here, but in SF other comics book you, so comic only rooms have utility.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Hey Zack. How'd the flop house taping go?

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Sataere posted:

Did you read the rest of what I said? Because I was only making the point that I do not write or perform to impress them. I think a set that will kill in a room full of comics will bomb most other places.

My point was that you need to write material for you. Don't write poo poo for guys who are only half listening anyway.

And it is the same in Chicago. Most of the work you will find comes from comic run rooms. I still won't cater my material for them.

I also said that I am not taking a shot at other comics. I mostly love and respect my peers, with very few exceptions. But I have very little time to say what I want to say, so you can bet your rear end I am saying poo poo that I love. I hope everyone loves it, but if people don't, that is fine too. Eventually the joke will work.

I wasn't saying to be a dick to them or anything. I support my scene and tons of producer's have told me they love when I am in the audience because you know when I find something funny.

This has been an interesting week. I have barely been out, but I may have just found myself on two of the aforementioned production teams. One of which is one of the more highly regarded shows in the area and is run by one of my favorite comics and people. Nothing is set, but I am very excited at the possibility.

Sorry, reading that again, what I said was really aggressive. I was more flabbergasted, hah.

Congrats on producing!

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
I'm a lapsed comedian, but watching other people do stand up live does get me in a joke writing mood. That's party of why I like to go up au open mics first - I love listening to other comics.

Anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
There's a couple of us, I think. Wasn't that for the flop house?