Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
This might seem like a stupid question, but I've been throwing around the idea of getting into stand-up but have no idea where to start. How do you guys write your material? Do you just develop it from things that come to you throughout the day or do you actually sit and write? I'm just trying to figure out the first step to putting together material. I live in what I'd consider a tragic backwater city so I imagine open mics to test whats good and whats garbage will be few and far between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm a little north of you and Torrington and as far I know there is no standup scene here at all. It's cool to hear people are cool close by. I'd assume everyone would be going to NYC. How many open mics can you hit on a weekend night in New Haven?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
It could also be partly because he's dead, and died before majorly screwing up or fizzling out (as far as I know).

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
If the criminal were any smarter I'd be surprised they were from Bridgeport.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Greek Tragedy posted:

Thursday night I legit headlined my own show for the first time. All the advertising featured my name and face, and I felt comfortable and at home on stage and they rewarded me with copious amounts of laughter. It felt amazing. After one of the best closing jokes of my career so far, the host took the mic, gave me an unsolicited hug (which the other two male comics did not get), held me in this side hug and said to the crowd "And there she is folks, and now you know why they kicked her out of 4H. She couldn't keep her calves together!"

It's a real mystery why more women don't do stand up, amirite?

I'm happy with how the set was and everything else about it was great, but I was just loving irked because no loving way would he have said some poo poo like that about a dude.

Wow I'm surprised you got so many laughs when you don't even know what a joke is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised any of you get laughs when none of you know what a joke is.