Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolguy90000
Jul 31, 2008
I'm an aspiring comic from a small city about an hour away from Toronto (in Canada :D ). I've been on stage 4 times, twice in my city and twice in another. Unfortunately there aren't many opportunities for comics in my area, but I plan on moving to Toronto or Montreal in the next year or so.

The most time I've done is 10 minutes, half of it was riffing on what'd happened to me that day. Haven't bombed yet but I'm prepared to eventually, it's inevitable. I'm having a friend tape my next open mic set and I'll post the link here.

If there are any comics from Toronto or Montreal reading this, I'd love to hear about your experience in the open mic scene. I don't know much about Montreal's english comedy scene so any information would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolguy90000
Jul 31, 2008

Will it spoil me posted:

Actually sitting down to right jokes is near impossible for me.

It was for me too, but honestly it's just like anything else that seems near impossible. If you just force yourself to do it over and over again, it'll get easier and easier. I find that I CANNOT just sit down at my laptop or with a pad of paper and just write. To me it's nuts that ANYONE can do that. I need to be up and moving around, talking to myself, playing with my cat.

I found that if I'm putting all of my energy into starring at a blank page, it'll stay blank. Try doing something that doesn't require much thought while you're trying to work out a premise or punchline or whatever. Like I said, walk around your house, play with a pet, talk out loud. Just getting in the habit of spending a few hours working on jokes - whether you complete any or not - will make the next time less stressful and probably more productive.

Like I said in my last post I'm new at this too, so this isn't expert advice. It's just what I've noticed works for me.

coolguy90000
Jul 31, 2008
Found this the other night, Ralphie May talks the business and gives some great advice. Check out some of Kyle Cease's other videos too.

http://vimeo.com/15182852