Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

That sounds like a recipe for getting snatched and murdered

Question Mark Mound posted:

and you have categories/tags on each one to make it easier to transition from one piece to another?

Would I just be better off just mixing about the order and seeing what flows naturally?

In the US (at least what I've heard from other comics I've worked with) there are like 3 "pieces" to a stand up comedy show.

Jokes: one set up and punchline (or multiple punchlines occasionally)

Bits: 1 or more jokes on the same or similar topics that flows

Sets: combination of jokes and bits to create something intentional that you perform when gigging.

I'm sure every comic does it differently, but I essentially "name" my bits. After I've worked it out for use on a paying gig, I know my material well enough that I only really need the name of the bit to remind me of what is included. I then combine them together to create a set. So it sort of ends up looking like a set list for musicians.

example (this is my current 20 minute set):

No Shave November
Not My Type
Never Underestimate a Woman
Spartan Weddings
Autocorrect
Fake Tooth
Skinny Jeans
2 Boners
Li'l Smoky Gnomes
Hippos are Meth-heads
Online Dating

Now, how do you create a set that's fluid with all that crazy rear end subject matter all over the place? A comedian friend of mine that runs a club in Reno told me this awesome piece of advice: "if you have the ability to get the crowd with you in the beginning of your set, they will follow you wherever you go. trust that. So as long as those transitions make sense to you, in your head, they are gonna be with you" and you know what? he's right. That set is all over the place but it works, and pretty fugging well too.

It's not gonna work the same for everyone, but just so you newbies know, you don't have to have some really specific segue or anything. Just like conversations, stand up goes all over the place sometimes to make you laugh.

Lake Jucas posted:

Stand-up rookie here.

Maybe we can videotape ourselves and post the footage?)

You should always be video taping yourself anytime you go up, especially when you first start out. You never know when you're going to say something off the cuff at an open mic and create a brilliant bit. I have many times that i didn't write something down right away because i was hosting open mic and forgot to and now that joke is lost forever (like my virginity). It's also important to tape yourself so you can watch how you deliver jokes. look for those filler words you use too much (um, uh, you know, gently caress) and cut them out intentionally. you'd be amazed how quickly this can make you funnier and sharper on stage.

tl;dr-

3 pieces of comedy: jokes, bits, sets

name your jokes, line em up in a list that makes sense to you and tell em.

always video tape yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I have no desire to be a comedian but I find those videos of shop talk really fascinating.

I do love being a comic, honestly but I will say this too. The creation of comedy is almost as fun and fascinating to me as the "doing" of comedy so to speak. It's a real shame to me that so many comics are really paranoid about material being stolen (which is something I feel like you can't stop so why bother, because there's no copyrighting jokes anyway) because some of my favorite times have been sitting around with other comics and talking about bits and how to tweak them or adding tags to make them funnier. I don't think you're alone in thinking the shop talk is interesting, is what I'm saying.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Pastamania posted:

Literally, the most impressive thing a comedian can do in their eyes is hold a basic 30 second conversation. The reason isn't that its 'funny material', but because most people are loving terrified that you'll try and talk to them, and so when you do it introduces a tension to the room that makes the most mundane bullshit seem like comedy gold.

The other reason this is impressive to audiences is because most people can't even fathom going on stage under lights with a microphone and telling jokes that they've memorized. The idea that someone could get up on stage and just riff on something an audience member said or have a genuinely funny conversation with someone you literally just met (and not even that if you didn't ask their name) is akin to magic to those people.

Pastamania posted:

I'd argue that your 'drunken rednecks' are the perfect feedback. Learn to handle them without compromising your own material, and you're set for every audience on the planet.

This. And also a room full of silent "don't give a fucks". Those are your best "training" audiences, so to speak.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Dr. Magnificent posted:

So glad to have stumbled upon this thread. I've been doing stand up for almost 2 years in Philadelphia.

https://soundcloud.com/trevor-cunnion/raven-lounge-dec-20

This is good stuff man, especially for someone that's only been doing this for 2 years. I'm still laughing about applebees. your timing is good too, I mean you seem to read the crowd well on where you should pause and when to launch into the next tag. I mean, for what it's worth I would book you at one of our showcase fundraisers. You have definite comfort on stage. How's the scene in Philly? I have a cousin that lives out there and I'd like to come out and do some stuff.

since I'm all flinging critique up in here and what not, here is my latest video that I've been using. I've been doing this 5 years or so. "professionally" (part time, but paid weeeeeeeeeee!) for about 2.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjSv4LmGa-w

Greek Tragedy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 12, 2013

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Dr. Magnificent posted:

Philly actually has a pretty impressive and growing comedy scene. There's open mics just about every day of the week as well as monthly showcases here and there. If you're ever looking to swing by, WitOut.net is a great resource for all things Philly comedy. They keep an updated open mic listing here http://www.witout.net/comedians/open-mics/.

Thanks! That's awesome.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Smerdyakov posted:

Has anyone here done any festivals recently/ever? I've applied to a few and got into one already, but I'm not sure what to expect and what the whole vibe is: I assume everyone does their most prepared/best material, but I'd also really like a chance to workshop with a lot of comics from different places on bits I've been working on for awhile but have never gotten quite right. I'd be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences.

I've only ever done one "festival" but I've done some competitions. The festival I did was an all women's comedy festival and to be honest it was really fun. the camaraderie was great, because we all were there for the same goal, and there wasn't any weirdness. The competitions I've been in were sort of similar, at least when it was beginning. I competed in the world series of comedy here in the states (I feel like you're in another country based on what I've read of yours, but forgive me if I'm wrong I can't remember anything lately) and it was honesty a really great experience. I got to network a lot, and felt very supported by everyone. They were all competing for the same thing, so it was like a level playing field. My advice for you about festivals or competitions would be to get contact information, add on facebook, email, whatever for the comics you hit it off with. then down the road you can email them bits or if they are near you, do a meet up to work on material together, or at least ask what they think. it's not the same as stage time in front of an audience, but i find it very valuable. that's how we started our open mic here, we started as a writing group meeting once every 2 weeks.

What festival you doing?

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Zero Star posted:

I've just booked my first-ever gig. It's in March which should give me plenty of time to write. Not gonna lie, I'm a bundle of nerves and it's still a month and a half away. How did you guys cope with "OH GOD I'M GONNA GO ON STAGE, WHAT DO I DO" nerves?

It sort of depends on what the situation is. Have you literally never been on stage before? or do you mean "OH GOD I'M GOING TO GO ON STAGE IN FRONT OF A LEGIT PAYING AUDIENCE" nerves?

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Zero Star posted:

Both. This will be my first time on stage doing stand-up.

I am totally encouraging of comics, so please do not take this in the sort of assholish way it it will likely appear without tone of voice, but how did you get booked to do a show without ever having been on stage doing stand up?

That being asked/said:

the first time I ever went on stage at an open mic I was so loving nervous I took a hydrocodone and drank two Guinness and my nervous adrenaline was STILL so high that I didn't notice I was wasted till I got almost all the way home. And I had been an actor for over a decade. I guess what I'm saying is that even if you're prepared it's still going to be scary. I would advise you to write as soon as possible and make sure it's funny.

[editing this as it seems that you've gone to an open mic before but maybe just not gone up? I went back and read your responses. I jumped the gun on this response] GO UP AT AN OPEN MIC if you still have one near you. https://www.badslava.com has a list of a poo poo ton of them all over the place. If you live in a coal mine in the middle of nowhere, then run it by friends or family that you trust, and do it in a stand up situation (like in their living room, in front of them in chairs or such). This probably sounds like the most awkward set up on the planet, and it is, but that's how it's going to be the first time you do stand up, so you might as well get used to the awkward feelings. Get your jokes set out into some sort of format that makes sense to you (like a set list for a musician type thing) and learn it. generally speaking when you are first starting you want to know your jokes really well, the detail and what not. Unless you're someone that just has a natural talent for riffing on stage and then you can just know the "jist" of the joke and fill it in, but this rarely works for first timers unless they just "have that thing".

record yourself and watch it. listen to all the millions of times you say "uh" and "um" and then cut them out the next time. all of this will help you feel more secure on stage, but honestly nothing, and I mean NOTHING can help you like stage time can help you. Try to find an open mic, just trust me it will help more than you can even fathom.

Greek Tragedy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 17, 2013

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Smerdyakov posted:

I'm doing the Cape Fear Comedy Festival and I'm in the middle of applying to a few others, but probably the biggest one I'm applying for is the Bridgetown comedy festival.

I'm seriously thinking about applying for this festival, it seems they are still taking submissions. I live in E. Washington and am also planning on applying to Bridgetown. If I don't get in, I might head down and watch some shows anyway. I understand it's a great experience from the comics I know that have done it.

Are you applying at all to the World Series of Comedy?

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Smerdyakov posted:

I've got a set I'm working on that's been crushing fairly hard in the first half but the second half needs work. As soon as I get it worked out (or replace it with more reliable material) I'll record the video and submit to the world series of comedy. It's 50 bucks, but a few of my friends live in one of the Satellite cities that's not too far from me. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd do it: their past winners seem kinda mediocre from a cursory glance.

I would suggest putting the killer front at the end and front filling. They only watch 5 minutes of the video, it's really important to have that last minute or two really kill since that's what they will remember best. but I mean, it's a good idea to work towards getting a good solid set all the way through of course.

I competed in the world series in Chicago in 2011 and honestly found it to be a really great experience. Forget winning dude, I mean it would be nice but it's not all about that. Networking. Meeting comics, performing on stages you might never otherwise perform on, that's where it's at. I think it's totally worth it to be honest.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Just submitted my applications to Cape Fear and Bridgetown festivals. We'll see what happens!

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

If you're anything like me, then even if people are laughing you won't notice them doing so while you're performing. Just trust that what you're saying is funny and don't react the the notion that people aren't laughing, because they probably are.

This happens constantly, I call it "stage deafness".

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Listened back to my recording and I definitely got more laughs than I thought. Still not sure if they were pity laughs or not, though.

who cares? take ALL the laughs. because even if they were pity laughs, eventually they won't be, and laughter is motivating (at least to me it is)

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Hey All,

God drat it's been a while since I've been in here. Apparently life happened and I can't gently caress about on the internet as much anymore.

Any of you other comedy goons run an open mic? How do you get people (not just comics) out to your open mics? I know this isn't the case in places like NYC and LA but I'm in fairly rural eastern washington state. We have a decent population (over 200000) but there are nights when there are literally just the 7 comics performing that night in attendance. Of course the same club on the weekend gets 80 people to the comedy show. How do I get like even 20% of that to come to a FREE comedy night? Any tips from my goon peeps? It would be much appreciated, i'm getting really frustrated.

Also we just finished our 3rd annual amateur comedy competition and holy poo poo guys. Some serious talent coming up in the northwest!

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Ccs posted:

This may not be the place to ask this, but what's the deal with Patrice O'Neal being considering a "comedian's comedian".
I listened to an album of his today, and it's so incredibly misogynist and mean. There was never one inkling during the entire set that he thought women existed for any other reason than to please men, or thought that during sex the man should have any regard for whether a woman is enjoying it.
I'm not saying he should have been censored or anything, but I'm wondering why exactly he was/is so revered among stand-ups. Was it just because he wasn't afraid to say anything, despite how crazy it was? Or is there another dimension to it I'm missing?

Probably because alot of comedians are misogynists and loving mean. I'm not saying all of them by any means, but when I was a weekly host at my home club I met a LOT of douchebags. So many in fact that anytime I meet a comic that's genuinely a good person, I make note of it and my boyfriend has started noticing, when I describe a comic we're going to see or I'm opening for, when I say "and he's really just such a nice guy". He finds it funny that I distinguish that, but it's sort of rare amongst the road comics I've met.

I respect Patrice O'Neal and liked some of his material and thought his delivery was usually the thing that made a bit work, but honestly I wasn't a huge time fan of his. I also wouldn't say he's this comedian's comedian. He was definitely not anywhere near my list of favorites, that's for sure.

tl;dr- I agree with you, but a lot of comedians are douches, so that's probably why he's called that.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

The Laughing Devil in NYC is being sold. :(

I have a show lined up there in October, so now that's probably not happening.

drat. they do a lot of festivals there too...

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

captain platypus posted:

I don't have a whole lot of friends here---I just moved up a week ago. I have told a few of my friends from back home.

e: I did just tell the friend who normally talks me into doing uncomfortable things and he wants me to tape the show.

How do you all rehearse? I'm currently talking to the stuffed lion who sits on my television.

Absolutely tape it man. it sucks watching yourself at first but you very quickly learn all the poo poo you don't wanna do anymore. I host an openmic and you can tell the ones that tape and watch and the ones that don't. The one's that tape and watch rapidly get better because they cut out all the distractions.

also, don't lean all over the mic stand, it's distracting as hell. just take the mic out and put the stand behind you.

break a leg!

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

does anyone else get stage blindness/deafness - as in you can't really see or hear if you're getting a response - while you're up there?

I'm signing up for local improv course just to get my performing confidence back up again since I haven't done anything for ages

I tell lots of our brand new micers that this is totally normal. Stage deafness. Seriously, it's a thing I have experienced and heard from many comics. You kind of can't hear anything because your heart is pounding or you're thinking of your material, but they could really be laughing! that's another reason why video is important, it records not just you, but them too.

Focus on the confidence building in improv. Improv is totally a different game than stand up, BUT i think the stage time is good no matter what to just build comfort and confidence on stage.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

XIII posted:

I've never taken one, but I would pass. Honestly, I don't see any class teaching you anything you couldn't get from watching some videos of comics discussing the craft and, more importantly, getting a poo poo load of stage time. That last one is the big one.

Yep. You might get a few tips but just go hang out with comics. some are arrogant douches, but you know what? there's a lot of legit artists that can tell if you're someone that's really interested in the craft and will pass on nuggets of wisdom and tips. I learned half of what I know from Dan Cummins and Jay Wendel Walker from hanging out in green rooms. (both amazing comics, btw)

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

OY. Tanked like the titanic last night in a local competition. I had this whole Oregon Trail (the video game) bit ready and the dude right before me did an bit almost exactly the same. it's a pretty common thing here, so I'm not mad or anything but goddammit it threw me off and I just rambled for a few minutes to silence and crickets.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

Bombing happens. It's always going to happen no matter how good you get (I mean Dave Chappelle "bombed" recently and he's considered one of the best of the best.) I kind of look at them as learning experiences, it shows you what works and what doesn't for a specific audience. I know I will look over a crowd before I start and see if they're skewing more towards the older generation, then change my setlist accordingly.

Protip on Pop Culture References, NEVER assume that everyone in the audience knows what you're talking about, even for the most basic of things. You may know everything about Oregon Trail and it was a huge part of your childhood, but there's more people who have never even heard of it before and they just aren't going to get the joke unless you map out what the game is and how it was significant to you. I'm kind of surprised that someone before you had an Oregon Trail joke. What's the premise of the bit?

I know. It's for sure not the first time I've ever bombed:) I just wanted to vent it not on the local comedians board on facebook where they would have zero sympathy and tell me what a douche/fag/pussy I was or whatever. I honestly didn't really "need" the competition so much as I wanted exposure in that area because I don't have as much as I'd like. It was also a good excuse to hang out with some of my comic friends from over there, but drat did I make a poor showing.

The thing about that Oregon Trail bit: I only ever, ever use it in Washington State. I've tried it in Oregon 3 times to CRICKETS but since I wrote it (about 6ish years) it's been KILLING in Washington and Idaho. I would never use it outside of the NW for the very reason you describe but I know it works in general.

I was shocked as HELL that this guy had an OT joke. I think that's why it threw me so bad. also I had been wandering around a museum all day with my nephew after getting about 3 hours of sleep and driving 3.5 hours so I for sure wasn't at the top of my game. Didn't really put as much focus and effort into it as I could. I got cocky, for sure.

The premise is basically that I loved the game but was terrible at it because I chose the worst job to be when I left on my mission from missouri. The punchline is: "being a seamstress sounds awesome when you're in the 5th grade. Until you're in Nevada surrounded by wolves." His was a little more rambling about dysentery and what not, but his ending was almost exactly the same. It was about how you could write anything on the tombstones and it would save it in the hard drive forever. Librarians get made when you write "kyle's a fag" and "get bent" on the tombstones, etc.

It was HUGELY popular where I grew up/now live so it doesn't surprise me he had one, so much as the fact that he used it right before me on that very night. I mean, I played it like 20 years ago!

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm putting together a set for an open mic in Spokane and I had a bit about Oregon Trail. But I'm also from north Idaho/eastern Washington, so maybe it's a regional thing.

Where you hitting a MIC in Spokane? I live in E. Washington too and used to live in Spokane actually, that's where I started stand up.

Do I already know you???

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never performed before, so I doubt it. It's just something I've been thinking about doing for a while, so I thought I'd give it a try.

You should. At the very least if you decide never to do it again, you can mark it off your list of things to do in your life. Less than like 1% of people in the world ever try stand up, or some crazy number like that.
Let me know if you find yourself in the TC or near. I run the open mic here.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

SaavikSpocksDaddy posted:

I enjoy reading this thread and I learn from reading your posts.

this is my stand-up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4IuZk1V5k
I'm trying to book some local gigs right now; I'm located out of Tampa, FL. If any of you are in Tampa, FL, feel free to contact me.

I'm going to be near Orlando next month. wouldn't mind traveling to Tampa. I'm actually looking for some stage time while I'm there too. Do you know who I'd contact?

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

jumba posted:

You could probably get 2 minutes of material out of that alone.

Thirding this. pretty much every single one of my best bits are about something super lovely that happened.

you ok? you didn't swerve did you? that poo poo will gently caress you up every time.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

So the place where I was supposed to do that open mic canceled again because the guy organizing it never got around to it. So now I'm organizing and hosting an open mic next Thursday. Here's the problem though: I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress I'm doing. I've never even participated in an open mic. My plan right now is to get a sign-up sheet, try to sign people up about a half hour before we're supposed to start, and then introduce people. Hopefully that is correct. I'm going to give everyone between three and seven minutes.

My bigger concern is that the venue seems really lovely. It's a small bakery and they're planning on putting us in a back corner. There's a PA system but it's not really a stage, half the room can't see us, and there's no real captive audience. I might try and talk them into letting people stand in a better spot, at least.

It's probably going to be a trainwreck. This should be fun for everybody!

If you're looking for one in Spokane, I know that the Goodtymes in the valley let's open micers go up before their sunday shows. I'll be doing a sunday show there next month actually.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'll keep that in mind. There's also supposed to be a Chinese restaurant that has one. I'm organizing one at a small vegan bakery called Boots, but I don't expect many people to show up.

This may not be pertinent right now, but once your open mic gets a little bigger and you have an audience these are a few things I'd suggest:

*light people from the very beginning. Talk about it in your introduction. Because even if you only have like 3 people going up and you're not worried about time, you want to establish that there is a time limit/light. Some of the worst nights of my life have been brand new open micers that I forgot to tell about the light that ramble drunkenly for 20 minutes. If you end up with only a few comics one night, then divide the time into larger sections but still maintain a light. even if the show doesn't go long, you can always sit around with each other in the remaining time and bullshit about comedy, it's how some of my best stuff has come about.

*figure out your "rules" and announce them consistently every time. this gives you crowd control and also helps to coach people on how to be comedy audience members. You don't have to have a lot but figure out what's important to you/the venue. The venue I host at doesn't really care about content, but I sure as hell care about bigotry/hatefulness and heckling. I only have 2 rules but I announce them every week regardless of how many times those people have heard them.

*encourage your first audiences/comics to submit suggestions. This will help with that inclusive feeling but also give you a chance to figure out what makes a good mic, and what audiences want. You don't have to do what they want all the time after all but they know that you want a good show and not just a bullshit thing to do one night a week.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

SullivanPRIME posted:

So I decided recently to take a serious jab at stand up. I've been doing a comedy show with a friend over the internet for a year now thats been going really well, so I decided it was time to be a lot more daring and actually face a crowd. I'm in Philly and I was wondering if any one knew of any good places for open mic nights to start out at? I tried good ol' google but it only seemed to give me the Helium Comedy Club.

The most comprehensive place I know to look for mics is https://www.badslava.com. It's a weird name, but there are a TON of them there. I use this every time i travel to look for mics.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

The Banana Pee posted:

Does anyone have any good memorization tips, so I don't keep relying on a cheat sheet?

if you've been doing comedy less than a year and you're not doing paid shows yet, don't worry about the cheat sheet, it's about getting comfortable on stage and being in front of (drunk) people staring at you and expecting funny. by the time you shouldn't have one anymore, you won't need one:) Having said that, I name every bit I have and then arrange them like a musicians set list. My bits aren't one liners, they tend to be stories so it's a little easier, but I group them together by (somewhat) related topic. In fact I did my first headlining gig on new years eve and this was my set list (i didn't make it through all of them, it always takes longer than you think on stage once you get the crowd involved):

Football Fans
Block of Cheese
Spider Volcano Channel
Anti Social Networking
Slap Yo' Mama
Amazon Recommendations
Scoops
Online Dating
High Fiver
Not my Type
Dating Hosts
Middle aged
2 Boners
Va-Jazzling
Harry Potter Vulva
Uterus Redecorating
Ikea mattress pads
Basket of Dicks
Mittens on a plane
Pregnancy Test
Lil Smoky Gnomes
Weed is Legal
Weed at Seaworld
Breathalyzer for fun and profit
Hippos and Meth
James Deen
MRI
Near Death Experience
Big Lady

Then I break them up into categories (loosely):

**TV**
Football Fans
Block of Cheese
Spider Volcano Channel

**Internet**
Anti Social Networking
Slap Yo' Mama
Amazon Recommendations
Scoops
Online Dating

**Dating**
High Fiver
Not my Type
Dating Hosts
Middle aged
2 Boners
Va-Jazzling
Harry Potter Vulva

**Periods**
Uterus Redecorating
Ikea mattress pads
Basket of Dicks

**Security**
Mittens on a plane
Pregnancy Test

**Drugs/Alcohol**
Lil Smoky Gnomes
Weed is Legal
Weed at Seaworld
Breathalyzer for fun and profit
Hippos and Meth

**Porn**
James Deen

**Health**
MRI
Near Death Experience

**Closer**
Big Lady

Knowing which categories I want to talk about and what bits are in each one, makes it easy for me to create a "set".

TL:DR
don't worry about having the notes right now, get comfortable on stage. Name your jokes, and categorize them, then make a "set list" like a musician that has categories.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Any of you Comedy goons in/near Washington DC?
I'm going to be there for a week in March and I really want to get some work in while I'm there. So far I've only been offered a 5 minute guest "bringer" spot and I'm not arrogant enough to think that I should get a headline gig at the improv, but I am most definitely a very solid feature act and have done a few headline gigs as well recently.

Anyone have any information on who/where I should contact? I'm coming up with a lot of nothing.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Tena Twister posted:

I somehow just managed to force myself to do three open mics, three nights in a row.
I hadn't been on a stage since the one time I sheepishly tried my hand at standup in 2012.

I feel really, really good about it. My town has some pretty amazing talent. I'm humbled but excited, and surprisingly way less discouraged by lukewarm reception than I thought I'd be. I have yet to straight-up bomb or be heckled though. Looking forward to it in a sick way?

that's how we get ya. :)

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Obliterati posted:

So I've got an odd one: where, for people, is the line when it comes to breakup material? I've recently been on the recieving end of some soap opera melodrama (TL;DR she left me for my best friend), and I've literally never got better audience response. Also much of it is hilarious.

The material I'm using isn't exactly blue or anything as that's not my style, but it includes revelations such as 'now I'm single and on OKCupid, I find her own profile she was using while we were together' which are true, but, well, I want to make sure I'm not coming across as vindictive as the material's more about how you rebuild after a disaster. Where do people here draw the line on ex-relationship material?

I'm intending to use this set in a video I'm cutting as well, so it's not like people involved will never hear of it or anything.

So I'm hella late to this one, but I finally finished my Master's so I can gently caress around on the internet again.

Anyway, I feel like this (like many other topics) are nuanced when it comes to what's "ok" or what's "hack" or whatever. I think if you're not just telling a bunch of hacky bullshit bits about how bitches be crazy, and you're expressing (in an actually funny way) the types of pain/thought/etc. we all go through in relationships and breakups then I'm into those bits. I worry about this to an extent, particularly after my last breakup which wasn't for any huge dramatic reason, he just wasn't a loving adult, and wasn't interested in becoming one so we could be partners. But like, that's not funny, or exceptional, it's sad (for me, anyway) so I don't talk about that on stage. But the lovely abusive dickhead boyfriend I had before him? You better believe I talk about that on stage. Somebody told me once (or I read it somewhere or something) "you own everything that's ever happened to you. If people wanted you to speak of them kindly, they should have treated you better." And while I totally get that some people just make poo poo up or embellish things or whatever, in general, if I know I'm telling my story truthfully and in a funny way, I don't worry too much if somebody that hosed me over gets butt hurt over it.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

I don't know, doing stand up and breaking up with them because they are not enough of an adult us pretty ducking hilarious and you should talk about. I mean, clearly the bar shouldn't have been that high.

EDIT: Also, congrats on the masters.

I think the thing is that, *I'm* not ready to talk about it on stage you know? Like, I'm still working through a lot of my feelings about the breakup and so when i say things that are "funny" now, they are actually just bitter and I definitely think they would not come across the way I want them to. I think that's the old "time+tragedy=comedy" thing. I need more time. My abusive ex was 5 years ago, and I went through hella therapy for it, so I'm in a good place to use it on stage.

also, Thanks! It's amazing how much time I have now that I don't have homework to do.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

I get it. There are some things I plan to talk about that I haven't got to because jokes about depression are hard to make funny. The minute an audience feels sorry for you, you're hosed.

I thought you were saying you didn't see the humor in it. I was just telling you that you are wrong. :v:

So, I appreciate this about writing material about poo poo that could make the audience feel sorry for you, but I've seen it done and I know it's possible, it's ALL in how you structure that joke. One of my biggest influences/idols right now is Maria Bamford because she talks so very openly about her mental illness and how it impacts her and she does it in a way that just shows how ultimately human she is and I never feel sorry for her. I wonder, sometimes, if that feeling of "omg they are pitying me" is within us, and the audience isn't really feeling it at all, but it trips is up, because we get self conscious. I'm basing this on the fact that I've had many people approach me after shows where I did the bit about my ex spitting in my face during an argument and told me that they were thankful that i shared it and that if I went through that and was up on a stage under lights talking about it, then they had some hope. It was literally life changing and super impacted what kind of material i write.

I dunno, to each their own, but do you have some ideas of bits about depression you maybe would run out there and we could workshop?

I got's all that homework time to help with bits :allears: :11tea:

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

I have said it in this thread before, but I don't believe any subject is off limits. But that doesn't mean an audience will like it. .

I agree with this so hard. It also depends on how you write said material about sensitive topics. are you writing a rape joke where you just perpetuate stupid assumptions about how women get raped because of what they wear? or are you writing a joke about rape/sexual assault that makes the punchline societies hosed up rape situation? the topic's not the problem, lazy loving joke writing is.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

Honestly, while I think no subjects are off limits, I do think some subjects are lazy and not worth the effort. Rape is one of them.

I agree a little. Except that I have on occasion (maybe like twice?) heard jokes about sexual assault or rape that were super funny and poignant and so I don't throw out any topic at all, but agree yes, many of them require a LOT of finessed writing.

This one (start to 3:40) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ArdxWYBGQ is my favorite.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

That clip is fantastic. Such a great joke. Mine is actually in a similar vein, but from a male point of view. It's a lot harder for me to do a joke on the subject though.

My favorite part of that clip is that I absolutely recognize some of those laughs. I need to make it to that showcase.

Are you out of Chicago? It'd be pretty great if I finally found a Chicago goon comic.

Alas, no. I'm from Washington State, but I performed in Chicago for the World Series (of comedy) several years ago and I loved the city. Now that my degree is done I will hopefully be able to do some traveling and performing.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

Yeah, I keep wanting to try getting into that and festivals, but every clip that I record is garbage.

Garbage video quality? or you feel like your set is garbage?

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

My set is terrible. The problem I keep having is that I see all the flaws in my set, so two weeks after it's out, I already know that it is inadequate.

I get that, and if it helps at all that feeling goes away the more you watch yourself on camera. But, consider that if you wanna make it into any festival or anything you have to have SOMETHING to send. I would suggest letting someone you trust tell you if it' s good (someone that has an understanding of comedy but not necessarily a comic) or not and then post accordingly....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

The flip side of that is anything you send out is that persons first impression of you. I try to control anything that I produce, which is why there aren't clips of me.

The biggest thing for me is that it is hard to get a recording, and it is hard to just crush onstage. In my opinion, if I am not crushing on a video clip, I don't want to use it.

For all it supposedly won't matter to producers who know comedy, watching a guy just own a crowd is going to impact you subconsciously.

I have another clip coming soon, and I will know when I have the right one. Or if I am lucky, CYSK will decide I am a comedy monster and I will get to tell dumb jokes in front of a packed room that is always hot.

I live in an area with exactly ONE comedy club and it's run by an idiot. That makes it difficult to get anything longer than a guest spot, so I can understand the struggle. I have some friends that make it work from rural areas but I don't really understand how they get things rolling. I suppose maybe going to larger cities and doing as many shows as possible while I'm there is a start. one of the main reasons for me getting my master's was that eventually I could create my own schedule/have an online practice and be able to travel and take gigs anywhere while I still maintain my living.

How often do you go up?