Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Hey quick question, if this thread is active: Does anyone know some good open mics in NYC? I've been to a few at some of the bigger name clubs and they felt pretty dire to me. I need to become a working comic asap. Thank you for your assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
drat I'm a regular flying-squid...

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

Before I moved all the opens I had access to were music opens. It's incredibly rude and strong to stand up in front of a bunch of people talking to their friends, dancing, loving.... Living! And demand they quietly look at you while you suggest that we should give Isis Ebola. It's really rewarding when it goes well though and they'll usually let you go forever since the music acts go 10+ a lot of the time.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

Get one of those little iphone tripods and video tape yourself every time so the host makes fun of you. That will make you stick in his mind the way your flannel beard doesn't and then he'll remember your name and you're on your way to fame.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

Always set the mic down on the ground and run off stage without looking at or shaking hands with the host. As soon as the host begins to speak run in front of the stage and yell that you went the wrong way. Remember that you're all comics, which means you are fun people who aren't uptight about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

Well when things go bad, that is the comedians fault. Except maybe it isn't but act like it is because it's better to be hard on yourself needlessly sometimes than blame the room for your screw ups and not improve. If a room is dead or not paying attention or whatever try and engage with the crowd which wont give you much time to do prepared stuff but it's better to get used to existing in that environment and dealing with that than saying your jokes to what you already know is going to be nothing. If you're in a room where people literally aren't paying attention to you because there's other stuff going on just deal with it basically they're probably there to watch the game or talk to their friends or whatever and usually they're more important to the venue than whoever is doing a mic once a week, since they're real humans who pay money and write yelp reviews and not a beardo broke scumbag. I'm about to go to a mic that's usually like that but they don't give a poo poo about time so I can build by doing my stuff and just chugging along and gaining people as I go. But that's basically impossible in 4-5 minutes. Well enjoy your night.