Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Sataere posted:

And I don't get why anyone would want to be the next Louis C.K.

I think the comment is just in reference to how he is writing new material all the time, not necessarily his style or content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Sataere posted:

Oh, in that case I am probably exactly like him. I jot down ideas all the time. It is a non-stop stream and I suspect most of it is stuff I will never actually touch. I do try to write out a couple sets a week though. Just to do it. Why is that a bad thing?

Sataere posted:

Ha, I have the opposite problem. I think my material is fantastic, I have too many ideas and everything I try results in abject failure. :suicide:

This is why. The point isn't to write less, but to put more time into practicing with the same material so you learn how to improve your performance, work on tags, callbacks, etc. and generally figure out what works for you.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Communocracy posted:

I swear to God I'm going to do it soon. Possibly at the Rivoli in Toronto or at some other open mic night there. I'm totally ready, I just have to figure out how to book the time.

I finally contacted my local club about their open mic, after a couple of weeks of freaking out over it. It turns out they book way out ahead and I won't go up until December anyway.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
My date at the local club finally came up! I was the second to last person, so I had plenty of time to sit there forgetting my jokes. I chickened out of (what my friends later told me would have been) a good call back to the earlier comedians' overwhelming focus on dick and ex-girlfriends and ended up doing about half of my written material before I decided I was done...I didn't have a good sense of if I had enough time to go into a completely different vein so I just bowed out a minute or two early. I got a few laughs and had a few dead silences.

I'll go up again, for sure. But I think I'm going to go to more informal mics a couple of times first. Somehow I think a crowd of people who are ignoring the comic while they drink might be a good step before going up on stage in an actual comedy club again.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

XIII posted:

I will 100% disagree. Most of the open mics I've done since moving has been to bar patrons that wouldn't noticed if I got naked, poo poo on the stage, then hung myself from a rafter (or an "audience" of nothing but comics). I hate it so much more than a joke bombing in front of an even semi-decent crowd because it's drat near impossible to tell if your joke actually bombed.

Oh, I'm not saying it would be a better audience AT ALL. I just need to work on poo poo like speaking naturally and not flailing with my extra hand, and I don't feel like I need to wait for rare and valuable club time to do that.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Mortley posted:

Thanks for the replies.

Anybody else catch this Atlantic article? The Censorship of Stand-up Comedy on College Campuses.

One of the things I find strange about comedians bitching about not being able to work the college circuit is that, outside of universities, their cultural exposure and influence is at the highest point ever (as far as I've heard; I haven't been alive all that long).
Basically, the comic's complaint at a college campus boils down to, "we get treated there as we got treated most everywhere else by everyone (i.e., as potty-mouthed, offensive losers) for most of the decades-long existence of standup comedy. It's not fair because college kids are younger and should be cooler than that."
Or in simpler terms, "I wish I had more access to easy money." Don't we all.

That's written by Caitlin Flanagan, who does have an agenda. I don't doubt there is some truth in it (particularly if Chris Rock says so), but she is also seeing what fits into her narrative.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

KirbyKhan posted:

The Atlantic has been running a string of articles about the pussification of college campuses. Really thought provoking stuff. The way comics are being treated at college shows is a symptom of infantilization of university students and something something free speach something.

It paints a depressing picture of our nation's higher education system being dominated by tumblr thought fascists and LF graduates.

Pretty sure it was already happening when I was in college, 10+ years before the creation of tumblr. Actually I distinctly remember early echoes of this trend in 1995. It's just that now it's so much easier for everyone everywhere to hear all about it, and also apparently everyone has lost the ability and/or willingness to distinguish between "you're right, I'm being an rear end in a top hat, I apologize" situations and "I'm sorry you're offended, but you're being ridiculous" situations.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
If you're talking about working comedians, I've seen plenty of women who don't do the "I'm a woman who enjoys sex" routine. Honestly, I think the only example of that I've seen in person is Nikki Glaser. In terms of open-mic comedians, compare and contrast vs. the many guys who get up and talk about their dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Hydrocodone posted:

If you're a jock and you're Asian, and the jokes you want to tell are about sports and beer, do you think there's pressure to address your race in big or small ways? Do people expect you to not just be the jock comic but to be the Asian jock comic?

Is there something about being an Asian jock bro that's funnier *to you* than being a jock bro of some other race? I kind of feel like if it doesn't add something to you it's not worth just bringing it in because you think (correctly or otherwise) that it's expected. Sighted members of the audience will notice that you are Asian. The most relevant example I can think of is a woman I've seen a couple of times who does material about being a birthday party clown. She is also black, but she doesn't do material that I can remember about being black. Being a birthday party clown is pretty freaking memorable, though.