Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hello Every One, Finally found this thread. I remembered there was an A/T thread ages ago.

With out going too far into my personal life. "I am between opportunities" but luckily I can get by for quite some time, and as long as I give up a few luxuries here and there I can pursue my interests with with amazing degree of freedom.

So I have decided on comedy. Now, I am goon. A goon's goon if you will. So I watched a lot of stand up listened to alot of cds, And thought well why dont I give it a go....but first I need to.... and now the excuses have started.

I bought a few books on the topic I found most of information to be rather bad.

Pastamania was far better than those books when he did this great effort post.

I did something similar but it was write a list of ten situations and then connect them to an exaggeration.
what I thought was gonna be good was poo poo but out of those ten things I found something I think is funny.

My friends loves stand up but we totally dont see eye to eye. He thinks its just telling funny antidotes about stuff thats happened to you.

A good comic can make that connection and lead you down the road. But its very different than just riffing with your friends.

Anyway I plan to go for one joke a day, and reading this thread made me realize I need to get out. So I will be hitting up the open mics up in LA (Live in O.C.) Not gonna go up there I am gonna go see what others are doing and get a better sense of what stand up is. I am gonna shoot for 2 open mics a night for a week and see what insights that can provide me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey everybody.

lets see where to start

E the Shaggy posted:

Those books? Throw them the gently caress out. Reading books and taking classes and all that poo poo doesn't work. You're essentially becoming someone else and you need to find your own style, find what works for you.

You know what we are in agreement on this. I wanted books to better understand joke structure thats why I liked pastamania's post so much. There is a structure and logic to comedy but its more of an unholy alchemy than anything else.

As for the day job remark's you know what thank you. I really appreciate it. I have had soo many people being negative to me regarding it. Thats its nice to have some one show some realistic concern and give me practical advice. I think I will keep the job search going but put my free/time energy into this.

So now for the trip report.

Hit up two open mics on Wensday night. Didnt go on stage and from what I saw I wont be doing that anytime soon. Because.

I and the girl I brought with me (easier to use the diamond lane haha) were the only people there. The rest was just people waiting to go up on stage. To be fair it was alot of fun being the only audience like a private show. Best part when the people on stage tried to practice riffing. oh god that was fun.

The best part of being the audience was the fact I got to see what other people were doing what works and what sucks. Who had material that need a little work and who had no material at all.

My favorite was the jamican guy who came in with a cape and crown used his ipad to play intro music would stop and start over if people spoke while the king was talking or came in, or he played the wrong track of music. He had us bow to him then his time was up. I m pretty sure the joke is on us having us bow to him.

Honestly wish I had a few (local) friends to bring to these things as they are entertaining for one reason or another.

E the Shaggy posted:

Also, 2 mics a night is too little if you're trying to make a career of it, go to as many as you can possibly handle. LA has numerous mics, many of which though won't let you just walk in, you'll need to get in touch with whoever is running it and then you'll be given a spot maybe a few weeks down the road if you're lucky.

Now your talking about the open mic crawl which I saw happen. people went on stage played to the people who were waiting their turn and then jetted.

What is the benefit to talking an empty room or people who are just waiting for their turn to talk? for an empty room I would rather video tape my self talk or work on writing.

Smerdyakov posted:

This is a giant "it depends" actually. I'll take 7-10 minutes with an actual crowd 4 times a week over an infinite number of 3-5 minute sets at shows with crowds that are always 90% comics. Of course neither are ideal, but having done standup in SF and Seattle, the crowds and stage time were actually way less than in some smaller cities, with a lot more transit and far fewer opportunities for hosting or doing a feature set.

^^^ yep I figured I might look at alittle further afield than LA to see whats going on.

mmh I know a magician maybe I can talk him into letting me open for a few of his shows in out of the way places.

Anyway enough about me and more about the wonderful night of entertainment.

Hit up Sals comedy hole, had dinner with said lady. Then went to the back and listened. Then we Hit up House of Tacos, which had a better MC and the dude in the back would fed the comics fun sized candy bars if he liked their work.

some of the things I didnt like

In Jokes,

HOLLYWOOD IS A TOUGH TOWN, THE OTHER DAY I SAW LUKE PERRY STAB A HOMELESS FOR A BOTTLE OF COCONUT WATER.
LA and Hollywood are kinda their own culture those kinda seems to work if your in on that culture but would be limiting to outsiders.
race jokes

JEWS BUILT THE PYRAMIDS THATS WHY THEY ARE GOOD WITH MONEY
I wrote one as well but they just dont sit well with me when I think about them.
not jokes

I WAS IN AFGHANISTAN KILLING TERRORISTS
Being told this by a vet who is on stage and might be nervous or having PTSD isny very funny.

CLONES OR JUST NOT FUNNY PEOPLE
I m pretty sure I saw two zach galifianakis clones or maybe just one at two places. White dudes with beards talking the way he talks and doing his style of humor...yes I laughted and felt awful about it.

One lady did have some good stuff but was just too nervous went on stage with her note book

"I get nervous with small talk so I bought a gun, now when small talk happens I can just say I bought a gun, and avoid making the conversation awkward"

I think I am gonna hit up a few more open mics and just be the audience and see what its all about, and I have to be honest I am really torn on my desire to riff/heckle/troll them. Like how they all sit there with their notebooks it make me want to bring my 1940 lc smith typewritter and try to fit in with them.

One guy made a pun and I boo'd then had to explain that puns are the lowest form of humor. He called me a homophobe and to the MC's credit he kept things cool.

The next dude then opened with a pun.

Anyway ETHESHAGGY thanks for the advice.

max4me fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 22, 2013