Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Yeah, this is great. I bought my first house 2 years ago on a 0.16 acre lot and I really wish I had more land to work with, even just 5 acres.

How far are you from anything else, like your workplace?

Are you concerned about all the rock when it comes time to drill a well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

apatite posted:

I love to drink it right from the tree, but it sure isn't syrup :D We often end up with more sap than we can boil due to terribly small scale inefficient boiling methods, and have resorted several times to drinking pretty much nothing but raw sap for a while (well and maybe some beer on my part...)

You seem pretty handy building stuff. Have you heard about rocket stoves? That might be a cheaper way to boil it than propane.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

apatite posted:

Is anybody out there or are you all doing spring like stuff instead of being inside? It went back to winter here so I'll post some pics rather than letting this go to the archives or whatever happens to threads that people don't read or post in or whatever.

Any questions/suggestions/criticisms/musings?

I spent the better part of last week pruning about 45 very neglected mature fruit trees, out in the wind and rain. Had to get it done because the pears were already breaking buds and I only had that week off work. I've got probably 20-30 yards of pruned branches piled up around the orchard waiting to be dealt with too.

We didn't have any snow this winter so I enjoy seeing it here. What's the maple sap situation? How much longer will you be able to harvest it?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

apatite posted:

Very cool on the tree pruning, we've got a LONG way to go before our orchard is at that point :) What do you do with the branches once pruned? I've been thinking of renting a chipper to get rid of a lot of these tree tops and saplings that have been piled up everywhere...

The original plan was to chip the branches and use them as mulch around the trees. I got as far as purchasing a used chipper and sharpening the blades. I'm not sure it's going to be up to the task since there are lot more branches than I expected and it's only a 10 HP model instead of one of those giant towed-behind-a-truck models. I'm also not sure I want to spend several long days feeding stuff into a chipper either. Worst case there is a landscape materials place just down the road that might come pick them up, maybe even in exchange for some wood chips.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Hugelkultur is very interesting! If laid out correctly they could probably help with drainage and erosion control, too. Imagine them stacked up horizontally along a ridge!

Terracing and swales are permaculture techniques like that which have been used very successfully. Check out Sepp Holzer's work for some examples. Dude grows citrus at like 4000 ft elevation in Austria. For building soil on rocks you can look at sheet mulching/lasagna gardening/Ruth Stout-style deep mulching. It will take a while but as long as you bring in and pile up some organic matter for the initial plants then you just use their waste to keep building up soil. Artichoke and cardoon are commonly used because they make a lot of biomass with their big leaves.

I'm doing a hugel mound at my mom's place this year with branches I pruned from her ornamental trees. I'd do it with the orchard prunings but I've read fruit tree wood takes too long to break down, the orchard doesn't belong to me and it's more time than I want to invest in it.

Anyways, keep posting. Some day I'll get land like that once I've saved enough. Prices around here are starting around $7k/acre.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I love my pick mattock for digging up big rocks and roots, but it can still be a hell of a workout to get some of the deeper roots out if you're trying to dig a bigger, deeper hole for planting new trees.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
If you have some bigger stumps that don't need to be gone right away you can look into growing mushrooms on them. You'd have to check for compatibility between the wood and mushroom species but the process is basically drilling holes and pounding in short lengths of inoculated dowels. The mycelium will spread through the stump and consume it, leaving you with some nice soft spongy stuff, but it might take a few years. I wish I'd known about it before paying someone to grind out 3 stumps in my yard.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
That's great and the axes and other woodworking tools are reasonably priced considering they're handcrafted. It reminds me a lot of the Jarvi bench video.

I've been stuck inside with a headcold this week and stumbled on the diary/blog of a guy who's been trying to do a back to the land thing since late 2004 in Eastern Washington. He's definitely got more of a tree-hugger approach to it but it's been very interesting reading so far and I'm only up to 2009.

Here's the background: http://ranprieur.com/me/land.html
And here's the first entry: http://ranprieur.com/land/04sepoct.html

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
The Hairy Bikers (UK TV chefs) recently did a series on the best of British food. One of the recipes is Honey-glazed guinea fowl with pomegranate and pineapple. The video probably won't load for non-UK people but it looked drat good.

As for tool sperging...

Pick mattock (pick on one end, adze or adz on the other)

Cutter mattock (cutter instead of pick)

Pulaski (big axe head and adz)

I love my pick mattock for digging in the yard since there are plenty of old tree roots and huge rocks in heavy compacted soil.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
The wire basket type is OK but beware the prongs will probably poke a number of apples and they won't keep very long that way. I got the Twister Fruit Picker last year and it works pretty well. It's pricey at $40 but I'm sure you could improvise something that worked the same way given enough time.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

apatite posted:

OK "Cpt. Fancy Pants" have it your way... Space age polymer fruit pickers, I see how it is ;)

Do you think it would work to put some automotive rubber vacuum port plugs or electrical heatshrink or even just some tape or plasti-dip or something on the tines? I could bend them out of the way but got the impression that they were there to help pull the fruit off the stem or something.

Anything on the tips should help. It's common on some of the more expensive wire basket pickers to have a plastic covers on them.

The proper apple picking motion is to lift and twist the stem so it breaks off cleanly without removing the spur it's connected to. The twister picker helps with this because of the grip on the apple. You can sort of do the same thing with basket picker where you get the stem in between the tips and lift, then the apple falls into the basket. I'm sure most people just try to hook the apple and yank down with them though.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Reverend Zero posted:

After a lot of discussion and excited planning we decided we wante to find our own piece of secluded land to call our own and become homesteaders. We're still in the early planning stages, tightening our budget and shedding belongings while constantly searching for land (5-10 acres somewhere out in the lonely country) but hope to be living on our land full time in the next 5+ years. I wish I had started earlier! We're in Charlotte, NC so we're hoping to lean on the enormous amount of free scrap, firewood, metal and other materials to do a lot of our building/hoarding.

Anyone thinking about going down this road should get a copy of Finding & Buying Your Place in the Country.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Kurt_Cobain posted:

My ideal would be something like this

http://www.windermere.com/listing/WA/Pe-Ell/3-Hill-St-98572/7258786

It has trees, a stream and not entirely flat. Build a small cabin on it. I've stayed in a trailer before so my mind is already made up in terms of that, it is a no. With some extra work you can build a decent and durable cabin for roughly $5-7g which I figure into supplies. I'm not Dick Proenneke so I'd probably be buying a stack of lumber. The pacific northwest is my ideal area and not east of the cascades which certainly limits things (it is basically desert out there). I recognize these are all excuses but I have been looking into this stuff for a while and I want to remain realistic and not put myself in a poo poo situation due to some crazed living off the land fantasy. I am not running away for the cheapest possible option. Edit- that is kind of funny given what I linked is one of the cheapest options in western Washington.

As someone currently living in a somewhat rural area in Western Washington and looking for 5+ acres I can confirm that particular property is really cheap. The areas I've been looking at are typically starting around $10k/acre and only getting down to $2k/acre when you're buying 40+ acres and are still 2 hours away from civilization. The problem around here is pretty much everything is owned by timber companies. Nobody gets to use the land for anything because in 10-20 years the wood will be worth millions.

I'm living as cheaply as I can and saving as much as I can right now while learning and practicing useful skills on my city lot. Hopefully in the next few years I'll have enough saved when the right piece of property pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Blistex posted:

I usually set up one of these when cutting the little stuff.

Those are called sawbucks. I one made to cut up a lot of large fruit tree limbs last year with a bow saw and it was incredibly helpful.

• Locked thread