Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Seluin posted:

I have a d800 and am doing microscope photography. Are there some good alternatives to Nikon Camera Control 2 for controlling things from a PC/Mac? The reviews I'm reading for it makes me think it might not work with my OS.

Capture One will let you control things through your Mac, including using live view while tethered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My new (to me) D600 can output clean video to an external recorder, but I can't find many evaluations of it online. The only review that I came across concluded that clips made with an early generation Atomos Ninja showed no improvement vs internal recording. Does anyone know if that holds true for later models, or if the 4:2:2 output actually has better image quality if the proper external recorder is used?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nikon, if you're listening please release the 40mm pancake for the Z mount early 2020 so I can stop wondering when it'll show up. Thanks and merry Xmas.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Finally every single of my Nikkor lenses works well. Relubricated the 35/1.4, 50/1.2, 85/1.4, 85/2 and 135/2. Retouched some engraved markings with lacquer-stiks. Took a photo.

Seems nearly nobody uses such lenses anymore. Really hard to find them on sale in Finland. Luckily I bought mine ages ago. Still would like to buy a 180ED, they were 200€ back in the days but now none are available. Should have bought one with my F2AS, the seller had 180ED too.

The tamron 80-200 SP is there because Nikon's 80-200 manual focus lens is extremely rare.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 29, 2019

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

That's awesome!

That's the 300mm f4.5 AIS there right? My dad has one of those, it's so good.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So the D780 is out. Basically a smaller D750 body with the Z6 sensor in it. Not a terrible upgrade but the Internet is crying over how it's not a $2000 D850, a D5 in a D7500 body, or what the gently caress ever.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kinda the same thing happened with the D750 though and that wound up being great and sold super well.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

It's almost as if a 102 year old company with great expertise and experience within photography knows better than a bunch of Youtubers and forum posters.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So it's basically a D750 with on-sensor PDAF for live view and good quality 4K video. Sounds like a good bet to me. The Z series themselves seem like copies of Sony A7 cameras but with fewer native lens choices, while the D780 is like an A7III + DSLR viewfinder and lens selection.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

So it's basically a D750 with on-sensor PDAF for live view and good quality 4K video. Sounds like a good bet to me. The Z series themselves seem like copies of Sony A7 cameras but with fewer native lens choices, while the D780 is like an A7III + DSLR viewfinder and lens selection.

Having owned a handful of A7s as well as a Z6 I can report that compared to at least the A7R2 / A7III, the Z6 has a better EVF, better focus for video, MUCH better ergonomics and fairly sensible menus. Also the Z lenses so far have been outstanding, EVERY SINGLE ONE. There may not be many yet but man, they are good.

I don't dislike Sony at all, but I think they've been playing catch up as a photography tool while leading the way in the technical department.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
the Z lenses are stupid good.

The new 70-200 is even better than the FL version, and that's regarded as one of, if not the best 70-200 2.8 on the market.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
drat it, I just got my D750 last year and now I'm tempted to move to the D780.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Having owned a handful of A7s as well as a Z6 I can report that compared to at least the A7R2 / A7III, the Z6 has a better EVF, better focus for video, MUCH better ergonomics and fairly sensible menus. Also the Z lenses so far have been outstanding, EVERY SINGLE ONE. There may not be many yet but man, they are good.

I don't dislike Sony at all, but I think they've been playing catch up as a photography tool while leading the way in the technical department.

Oh yeah I forgot about the awesome EVF on the Z cameras. I feel EVFs are a compromise you have to live with in order to work without the additional potential point of failure/misalignment that reflex mirrors add, so having the best possible EVF is an important ergonomic factor.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
If tempted to go from a D750 to D780, think of the glass you could get with that money instead. Two years from now the D780 should be $800 cheaper new with used also available on the market and Nikon will have worked out any kinks.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

non-AI lenses are fine to use on d3x00 cameras, right?

like I know they won’t meter, just in terms of damaging the mount

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe that’s correct but for anyone reading this in the future that’s just for the 3xxx and 5xxx series; Nikon’s non-entry level cameras that meter with AI lenses can be damaged by the pre-ai lenses.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Any pre-AI lens is AI if you're handy with a file.

Edit: Except a few with very thin aperture rings, those need a little extra build up to make them work.

Old K-Mount 105mm f/2.5. Didn't actually need the extra bit but it came like this.

35mm f/2.8, the black ring is too thin and slips beneath the aperture feeler on my F100 but works fine on the FE2. Would need a shim like the 105mm has.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 18, 2020

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Mirror failed on my D850, 36 days out of warranty with 170k clicks on the counter.

Called NPS, they had a loaner body ready for me at the hotel I was flying to 3 days later, and agreed to replace the shutter module out of warranty for me for free.

Nikon :toot:

It's instances like this that help me make my mind up for which brand I stick with as I transition to mirrorless in June.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Does anyone know if the F100 flips its mirror up when the self-timer is engaged, as with the FE and FM? And can you manually hold the shutter open with a remote release on a self-timer-triggered exposure?

I know it won’t automatically time out minutes-long exposures in starlight like the FE, but my hope is that perhaps it could be coerced into a mirror-locked-up long exposure by setting the self-timer (provided this prereleases the mirror) then holding the shutter open in Bulb with a remote release like you do with the FM.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I don't know about the remote release part but I do know that it doesn't pre-release the mirror when using the self timer. I vaguely recall some PR article from Nikon years ago about the mirror action being so smooth it didn't need to do that. Marketing wankery so take that for what its worth.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm itching to buy a new DX lens but I'm feeling like I'll either need to drop a ton of money to upgrade one of the ones listed below or any purchase I make will be quite similar to the ones below. Thoughts?

Nikon 35mm f1.8
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Tamron 90mm f2.8

Nikon 10-20mm f4.5-5.6
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8
Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything you want to shoot that you can't? Are you noticing a weakness in any of em? It's a pretty open ended question knowing nothing other than a list of lenses you already have. I could see a wide angle prime, like the 20mm 1.8, or maybe a nicer zoom like the Sigma 18-55 1.8, which is neat for being so fast and a zoom but kinda big and heavy depending on what body you have. Something faster on the long end might also be nice, like a 70-200 2.8.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You shouldn't go looking for a problem just to have a solution, but for something reasonable you don't have covered you could get a manual fast wide angle or a fish-eye.

As for upgrades the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and 50-100mm f1.8 are well regarded, but pretty beefy for apsc lenses.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
I sold my D810 for a Z6 and am extremely happy with my decision. I do more video than still photography these days, but still needed something capable of the latter, and the Z6 has been a great all-rounder.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Business of Ferrets posted:

I sold my D810 for a Z6 and am extremely happy with my decision. I do more video than still photography these days, but still needed something capable of the latter, and the Z6 has been a great all-rounder.
Do you shoot moving subjects? The only thing I'm not on board with on my 800 is the AF-C performance.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought the D800 had pretty good AF system? Sold mine a couple years ago and mostly had screw drive and manual focus lenses, but I felt like it worked pretty well with the two AF-S lenses I had. On the Z6 now and it seems pretty good. I don’t do nearly the same amount of stills shooting as I did back then though and I had a year gap between the cameras so hard for me to say if it’s better or worse.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you shoot moving subjects? The only thing I'm not on board with on my 800 is the AF-C performance.

AF seems pretty good, though I’m not shooting birds or sports. Have been happy so far using the FTZ adapter and Nikkor lenses.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

powderific posted:

I thought the D800 had pretty good AF system? Sold mine a couple years ago and mostly had screw drive and manual focus lenses, but I felt like it worked pretty well with the two AF-S lenses I had. On the Z6 now and it seems pretty good. I don’t do nearly the same amount of stills shooting as I did back then though and I had a year gap between the cameras so hard for me to say if it’s better or worse.
It’s very good for still stuff but has quite a hard time with moving subjects at close/medium range and i pretty much shelved it when i got kids.
I just want a d6 af module in something i can reasonably lug around with a widish prime.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty big "just," ha. The D850 and D500 have basically the D5 focus system, and the D800 did have about the same thing as the D4 (though with one less processor or something like that.) So you could wait for whatever the D880 is going to be or try one of the D5 based systems. Have you used anything that does work for you? Cause while decent the Z6 certainly isn't going to beat a D6. I wonder if you'd be better off with a smaller sensor system to get deeper DOF.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Here's a question about my Nikon D5600:

I push the button on the side of the body, and tap the touchscreen to set a 10s timer.

I take a picture.

The camera takes a picture.

The camera is no longer in 10s timer mode.

How do I make it stay in timer mode?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've got a remote shutter release that I replaced the battery on maybe a month or two ago. I connect it to my camera - and press the shutter release. The screen goes black but no photo gets taken. Thoughts?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

huhu posted:

I've got a remote shutter release that I replaced the battery on maybe a month or two ago. I connect it to my camera - and press the shutter release. The screen goes black but no photo gets taken. Thoughts?
You in bulb mode or something?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
This issue appears to be intermittent. gently caress yeah.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Anyone know if older ‘non-Ai’ shift lenses will work with an ai-only body like an FE2? I don’t think the PC Nikkors ever had anything but stop down metering so I don’t see how it would matter but considering how many of the shift lenses are labeled non-ai while others don’t say either way, I’m not sure. Have any of y’all actually used the older 35mm and 28mm shift lenses?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The incompatibility of non ai lenses is that there is part of the lens that protrudes behind the mount that can damage the coupling lever on some ai cameras. Some versions are compatible, you should be able to check by serial number or by a picture of the rear of the lens.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

I've got a 35mm PC non-AI , and it won't go on my D300 because there isn't the cut-out on the aperture ring that couples with the metering tab that runs around the bayonet.

Actually the 35mm does mount - the aperture ring on my copy doesn't have the same "lip" as my 85mm f1.8 non-AI, which won't fit because there's a 1-2mm "lip" around the lens bayonet:

Sorry for terrible pic - 85mm non-ai on the left and 35mm PC non-ai on the right.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 7, 2020

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Cool, that’s kind of what I was thinking. Can’t find any MF-era perspective control nikkors for sale on eBay that say they are ai.

Swelinde
Feb 16, 2011

Deviant posted:

Here's a question about my Nikon D5600:

I push the button on the side of the body, and tap the touchscreen to set a 10s timer.

I take a picture.

The camera takes a picture.

The camera is no longer in 10s timer mode.

How do I make it stay in timer mode?

Not sure if you've fixed it by now, but have you tried using it without live view?
I think with some settings using live view does not work, not sure why that is.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My 28/4 PC has the lip but it has been milled off afterwards so it will mount. Pro bodies have an AI tab you can flip so it wont hit pre-ai bodies. Just file it away or find someone to file/dremel it off. Don't need to take it all, just a small section where the Ai tab moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeast posted:

Capture One will let you control things through your Mac, including using live view while tethered.

Is there some software that can do this for Windows with a Z6?

I am considering switching from my old 5Dmk2 to a Z6 (I use almost entirely old Takumar lenses and really want focus peaking) but I do use the remote live view functionality of EOS Utility a fair bit, and I haven't been able to find a firm statement on whether that's something you can get with Nikons.