Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I had similar problems with the Tamron 35mm VC on my D850, but that was a while ago. Not sure what would have caused it and I wound up selling both without really troubleshooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Rise from your grave, Nikon thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I guess to take pictures you have to be leaving your house huh

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I left Nikon for Panasonic (hopefully temporarily) and I’m sad about it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I still use the df as my primary and outside of the dial locks disappearing I don't need anything else in a camera.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I bought a D800 because drat they’re pretty cheap now. The whole Nikon F-Mount world is becoming a great bargain. Even going on a decade old the detail and dynamic range of that 36MP sensor is pretty nice.

I use it for landscapes. It really needs a tripod, mirror-up, and exposure delay to get sharp results with shutter speeds under 1/200.

I also picked up a D810 thinking I would sell the 800 and reap the benefits of ISO 64 and the smoother shutter/mirror mechanism, but so far I can’t decide if the 810 is really enough of an improvement to justify the extra (final) cost. I’m holding on to my Fuji mirrorless gear because of its excellent 4K, so the improved video quality of the D810 vs the D800 isn’t much of a consideration.

I need to do some testing on my own to try and see if there’s any effective difference for my usage, but the additional dynamic range provided by the D810 is kind of the big question for me. I could take or leave the AA filter... it seems like whatever extra fine detail the 810 appears to resolve gets really close to just being moire or aliasing most of the time, plus diffraction softening is more obvious.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 1, 2021

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

powderific posted:

I left Nikon for Panasonic (hopefully temporarily) and I’m sad about it.

I went the other way. I’ve had enough of the GH5’s noisey low light performance. My Z6 is good and nice.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Sagebrush posted:

I guess to take pictures you have to be leaving your house huh

Sigh. There is that.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I bought a D800 because drat they’re pretty cheap now. The whole Nikon F-Mount world is becoming a great bargain. Even going on a decade old the detail and dynamic range of that 36MP sensor is pretty nice.

I use it for landscapes. It really needs a tripod, mirror-up, and exposure delay to get sharp results with shutter speeds under 1/200.

I also picked up a D810 thinking I would sell the 800 and reap the benefits of ISO 64 and the smoother shutter/mirror mechanism, but so far I can’t decide if the 810 is really enough of an improvement to justify the extra (final) cost. I’m holding on to my Fuji mirrorless gear because of its excellent 4K, so the improved video quality of the D810 vs the D800 isn’t much of a consideration.

I need to do some testing on my own to try and see if there’s any effective difference for my usage, but the additional dynamic range provided by the D810 is kind of the big question for me. I could take or leave the AA filter... it seems like whatever extra fine detail the 810 appears to resolve gets really close to just being moire or aliasing most of the time, plus diffraction softening is more obvious.

I’m with you on the F Mount bargains. I picked up a used D4 locally and it only has around 85,000 clicks. Gotta unload my D3 now but should be able to still get a fair chunk of change for it. Also grabbed a couple AF-D lenses from a guy on Craigslist selling his deceased dad’s gear for next to nothing.

I guess the future is mirrorless but the value is increasingly in DSLRs.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

toggle posted:

I went the other way. I’ve had enough of the GH5’s noisey low light performance. My Z6 is good and nice.

Had a Z6 and went to S1H, which I'm guessing both have the same sensor. The Z6 stills were good and video fine, but really wanted the fatter bitrate, XLR jack pack, built in log, timecode, etc. from the S1h to make it a better b-cam / lightweight a-cam setup.

edit: D800 with cheap, used AF-D lenses was my switch from Canon to Nikon and I loved the setup.

powderific fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 1, 2021

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

powderific posted:

Had a Z6 and went to S1H, which I'm guessing both have the same sensor. The Z6 stills were good and video fine, but really wanted the fatter bitrate, XLR jack pack, built in log, timecode, etc. from the S1h to make it a better b-cam / lightweight a-cam setup.

edit: D800 with cheap, used AF-D lenses was my switch from Canon to Nikon and I loved the setup.

Yeah nice. I was looking to move from the GH5 to the Panasonic full frames but the lack of lenses at the time really put me off it. Plus the price tag.

I have an atomos recorder with the Z6 and it has handled everything I've thrown at it. Not as compact as the GH5 for run and gun, but for everything else it has been great and dependable. I just love the colours from it.

I do miss the GH5's stabilisation though. :(

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm just running my F mount Zeiss glass + the 24-105 and it's been nice with all that. Been surprised at how much I like using it for stills. Other production folks I know gave me guff for not having the ninja on the Z6, but if I'm gonna shoot raw I'd rather just use the big camera and not deal with an external recorder. The colors do look lovely from the samples I've seen though.

When Nikon finally releases their compact 28mm I might wind up back in the fold. Really would prefer to stick with them for stills if I can, but the S1H was a better compromise for video + stills for me.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
How is the S1H autofocus? I’ve been happy with how the Z6 performs, but my GH5 had dreadful autofocus. I like a lot about the S1H otherwise.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s fine for stills but since it’s still contrast based I don’t find it useful for video and the Z6 is better in most situations. That said I didn’t use af in video with the Z6 either as I didn’t find it quite reliable enough (and my lenses skew mf anyway.) Doesn’t matter much for my use but might for you.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Business of Ferrets posted:

How is the S1H autofocus? I’ve been happy with how the Z6 performs, but my GH5 had dreadful autofocus. I like a lot about the S1H otherwise.

It should be workable with native L-mount lenses from Panasonic. For stills at least, in single shot and continuous. Sigma L-mount native lenses are not as good but ok. Anything else is not very good. Personally I use F glass and EF glass with adapter and manual focus only. I don't have motivation to pay top prices for new glass.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I've shot a D500 a lot the past few months. It's insanely accurate with focus. I love the extra reach for wildlife photography. I have no complaints with performance and functionality. It's more responsive than my D4.

Despite my love of the feel of the camera, I can't shake that it's not full frame. I don't know if it's psychological or what, but having shot full frame since 2012, the D500 just feels... off. I'm not a pixel peeper, but the camera images feel a couple steps down compared to the full frame I've shot. Anything over ISO 800 looks bad, imo. Maybe I'm bonkers.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've only briefly used the D500 a couple times, back when my main camera was a D800, and I don't remember thinking it was "off" at all. Could be some difference in the sensor you're noticing that isn't just size — someone in this thread really preferred the way the D4 or some other pro body reproduced certain colors to the newer, sony sourced sensors. (apologies if that person was you, haha)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Thinking of upgrading from a d7000 to a 7500. Anyone have any experience with the D7500? How did you like it?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

LiterallyATomato posted:

Thinking of upgrading from a d7000 to a 7500. Anyone have any experience with the D7500? How did you like it?

Pretty great. It's still crap for video but I don't do that. And they made it single card slot which is a slight bummer but not a big deal for me. Other than that it's a huge upgrade over the 7000.

Nikon still wants close to a grand for it though which I think is a little steep considering the competition. I got mine as a grey import for £750 over 2 years ago. A quick look at eBay suggest very good condition 2nd hand ones go for £500-600.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 27, 2021

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Got one from KEH for $700 American. Thanks for the review, looking forward to its arrival!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What would you guys say is the upgrade path from a D3200? I'm already invested in cropped frame lenses so it seems like maybe the D7500 or the D500 have both been mentioned in this thread recently. Let's go ahead and say $1500 is the max budget but if I can keep it under a grand it'd be a lot easier to sell the idea to my wife, lol.

I don't do video. I do a little macro, a little landscape, a little portrait, a lot of vacation snapshots, some family gathering photos, and am thinking about some birding if I ever decide I can afford a good long lens. So basically... all-around performance is my goal.

I'm also not in a hurry, so if there's something changing in the next few months I can wait.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The main things the D500 gets you over the D7500 are better af, 2 more FPS, the more pro feeling body (which is also a little bigger so maybe a pro/con), a slightly better viewfinder and LCD, and faster card slots. I think the main time its benefits would be relevant would be birding, but not even having a lens for it not sure you should make a decision based on that.

They have the same sensor and I believe image processor. Either one is going to be a huge upgrade from the D3200. If you've made it this far with the D3200 might be best to just keep the budget smaller and go D7500.

I doubt there's going to be anything interested happening in the APS-C DSLR world in the next few months (or maybe ever?)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright, that sounds about right then. Probably save my money and look for a used D7500, like from KEH or whatever. I've got a pile of old film camera stuff I've been meaning to send them one of these years, anyway.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Alright, that sounds about right then. Probably save my money and look for a used D7500, like from KEH or whatever. I've got a pile of old film camera stuff I've been meaning to send them one of these years, anyway.

Just bought a used D7500 from KEH. Was quality. The listing didn't mention shutter count but i think i did Excellent quality or something and it only had 1600 actuations. Definitely recommend.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They're sold out today, but they do have a D500 in EX quality for $1216. I'm not going to just plow that money in on an impulse buy though, I can be patient. I've bought from KEH before, I like how they do things.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nikon appears to have them in their refurbished store at the moment if that interests you at all: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/refurbished-dslr-cameras/1581b/d7500-refurbished.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmmmmmm

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I definitely understand the desirability of a D7500/D500 if you’re going after sports, action, wildlife especially. The AF speed and frame rate of those cameras is still cutting edge for APSC DSLRs. But if it was me (this really might not apply to you), and I could get it in good condition and save some money over the D7/500, I’d go for a D7200.

I like landscapes and post processing. The D7200 has ever so slightly more resolution and actually (somewhat counterintuitively) a good deal more dynamic range than the newer two. It also has better battery life than the 7500, and they took away dual card slots in the 7xxx series for the D7500; the 7200 still has two slots just like the 500 (albeit not supporting the same super-fast write speeds).

I’m not all that familiar with the Nikon DX range though. Have shot a little with a D3200 and D7200, but not much with either. The highlight and shadow recovery abilities of the 7200 were impressive to me, however.

If you’ve ever really felt limited or frustrated with the autofocus on your current camera, I’d still go with one of the D7/500 options, but if you’ve been getting along ok and just want the biggest gains in raw image flexibility while upgrading to more serious build quality and features (and don’t do video, or ‘bird in flight’ photography) consider the D7200 as well.

... and even regarding wildlife and action stuff, just note that you can get a like new D7200 for $600-800, which is significantly cheaper than even the 7500. You could put those savings towards something like the 200-500/5.6 or the Tamron whatever-to-600mm lens if you are serious about getting into birds and balls.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dang. OK, yeah, those are all really good reasons to consider the 7200. I just sort of assumed higher number = better than and didn't bother reading up about it at all.

Thanks to all three of you for your help!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I definitely understand the desirability of a D7500/D500 if you’re going after sports, action, wildlife especially. The AF speed and frame rate of those cameras is still cutting edge for APSC DSLRs. But if it was me (this really might not apply to you), and I could get it in good condition and save some money over the D7/500, I’d go for a D7200.

I like landscapes and post processing. The D7200 has ever so slightly more resolution and actually (somewhat counterintuitively) a good deal more dynamic range than the newer two. It also has better battery life than the 7500, and they took away dual card slots in the 7xxx series for the D7500; the 7200 still has two slots just like the 500 (albeit not supporting the same super-fast write speeds).

I’m not all that familiar with the Nikon DX range though. Have shot a little with a D3200 and D7200, but not much with either. The highlight and shadow recovery abilities of the 7200 were impressive to me, however.

If you’ve ever really felt limited or frustrated with the autofocus on your current camera, I’d still go with one of the D7/500 options, but if you’ve been getting along ok and just want the biggest gains in raw image flexibility while upgrading to more serious build quality and features (and don’t do video, or ‘bird in flight’ photography) consider the D7200 as well.

... and even regarding wildlife and action stuff, just note that you can get a like new D7200 for $600-800, which is significantly cheaper than even the 7500. You could put those savings towards something like the 200-500/5.6 or the Tamron whatever-to-600mm lens if you are serious about getting into birds and balls.

The 7200 is, after all these years, still an amazing camera. Its credit to how good it was at release. The things that pushed me to get the D7500 over the D7200 though was the improved low light and the tilting touch screen and I think you're over selling +0.6 of dynamic range and a few megapixels personally, the battery is also 950 vs 1100, which is still so many compared to mirrorless I see it as a non issue. The dual card slot is personal, I see why professional people mind, but as a hobbyist I honestly didn't care.
But the $/£200ish you save is a very good reason to still consider the D7200, especially if you don't need those 2 main benefits the D7500 brings.

Leperflesh posted:

Dang. OK, yeah, those are all really good reasons to consider the 7200. I just sort of assumed higher number = better than and didn't bother reading up about it at all.

Thanks to all three of you for your help!

Its the reason the D7500 received a very mixed response on release. People expected big improvements across the board because it had been a good few years since the D7200 but what Nikon gave them was a few big improvements and then saved everything else for the D500. The D7500 is still a brilliant camera, better than the D7200 overall I'd argue, but in 20 years when people are talking about the best cameras of the past few decades, I imagine it will be the D7200 that people remember.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 13, 2021

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

powderific posted:

I doubt there's going to be anything interested happening in the APS-C DSLR world in the next few months (or maybe ever?)

Seems very unlikely we'll get another F mount APS-C body ever, unless Nikon are going to release one more budget D3XXX. The upside is that there's a whole bunch of used F mount bodies and lenses on the market that are still extremely capable.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I'm not even confident they are going to release any more apsc z mount cameras or lenses.

The cameras and lenses will still take great pictures for years to come (including adapting the lenses to other mounts), but I think that might contribute to keeping the used price up, especially as the pool of available stuff dwindles. And many of the mirrorless systems already have so many decent affordable third party lenses.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Leperflesh posted:

They're sold out today, but they do have a D500 in EX quality for $1216. I'm not going to just plow that money in on an impulse buy though, I can be patient. I've bought from KEH before, I like how they do things.

I've had good experiences with MPB and when they have a lot of something in stock they seem to drop the prices quite a bit. My friend recently got a D610 from there in Excellent condition and it only had around 5,000 shots on it. He said he watched for like two weeks and suddenly the price of Excellent D600s dropped like $200 one day and had "Recommended" plastered on the product page, presumably because they had a lot in stock. Might be worth seeing what they have.

edit: here's a D7500 with 132 shutter count lol. $769
https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equi...00/sku-1175600/

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 14, 2021

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

powderific posted:

I've only briefly used the D500 a couple times, back when my main camera was a D800, and I don't remember thinking it was "off" at all. Could be some difference in the sensor you're noticing that isn't just size — someone in this thread really preferred the way the D4 or some other pro body reproduced certain colors to the newer, sony sourced sensors. (apologies if that person was you, haha)

I think you might be onto something, there was an interesting dpreview article about the D3 last year.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I thought this was interesting.

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/05/12/nikon-is-slowly-discontinuing-more-nikkor-f-mount-lenses.aspx/

Someone in the comments claims that all AF-D lenses have been discontinued for manufacturing and Nikon will just sell what’s left in stock.

I guess it’s not surprising. Who is buying a new 24mm AF-D in 2021?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've been eyeing switching over to a mirrorless system for weeks. Is it a sign?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Are you no longer able to do what you want with what you have? How deep are you into a DSLR system?

I have 15 years invested into my F mount gear and the thought of spending (a lot) of money to get the equivalent of what I have in Z mount form is overwhelming. Instead I have my eye on a few F mount lenses that I hope will continue to drop in price on the used market.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Are you no longer able to do what you want with what you have? How deep are you into a DSLR system?

I have 15 years invested into my F mount gear and the thought of spending (a lot) of money to get the equivalent of what I have in Z mount form is overwhelming. Instead I have my eye on a few F mount lenses that I hope will continue to drop in price on the used market.

FTZ adapter exists

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Dren posted:

FTZ adapter exists

Doesn’t autofocus with D lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Doesn’t autofocus with D lenses.

I figured when you said 15 years you’d mostly have AF-S lenses. welp.