Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Dren posted:

I figured when you said 15 years you’d mostly have AF-S lenses. welp.

I have a mix.

I just don’t have a reason to upgrade to mirrorless. I’m not a pro and my current kit does everything I need it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So my Grandpa recently passed away and my Grandma sent me all their photo equipment. I've put a picture and listed them out below. I'm aiming to get into digital photography (a friend is giving me her old canon rebel t6 so I will obviously need an adapter, but ill probably buy a nikon dlsr or a mirrorless at some point), but I learned in school on film.

What is gonna be useful, and what was them getting conned by a salesperson? Is there anything here that is expensive and I should definitely baby? All the lenses are in pretty perfect condition.

2x nikon AF N8008
2x nikon sb20 speedlights
nikon af teleconverter tc-16a 1.6x
nikon extension ring e2
nikon hs-1 50/14

filters and other stuff?:
2x 52 mm square slot adapter things
cokin square filters:
A 005
A 060
A 084
A 086
A 092 D2
A 123
A 198

made in france, circular, idk brands:
A 156
A 160 pola

circular filters:
nikon close up 1 and nikon closeup 2
tiffen UV Haze 1 62 mm
tiffen sky 1a 24mm af
kenko skylight 52mm
tristar polarizer 52mm
nikon l39

lens:
vivitar telezoom 85-205mm 1:3.8
af nikkor 70-210mm 1:4
af nikkor 70-210mm 1:4-5.6
2x af nikkor 35-70 1:3.3-2.4
2x af micro nikkor 55mm 1:2.8
2x af nikkor 24mm 1:2.8
nikkor-s 1:1.4 50mm

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Nothing is expensive to my memory, but lots of weird stuff has happened to pricing the last few years so take with a grain of salt (L35AF :wtc: :retrogames:)

nikon sb20 speedlights
These are great little flashes, you can use them in A mode on anything. I actually prefer thyristor quench a lot of the time over the pre-flash of modern TTL. It's much less prone to squinting, especially for kids and pets.

nikon af teleconverter tc-16a 1.6x
nikon extension ring e2

Good usable, probably won't work with N lenses but I forget the compatibility chart

nikon close up 1 and nikon closeup 2
I recall being actually fairly good, certainly good enough to use in a pinch. These days there's probably better coatings.

af nikkor 70-210mm 1:4
good but heavy, slow

af nikkor 35-70 1:3.3-2.4
I'd imagine there's some heavy sample variation because opinions are polarized but the one I had was great, for a compact lens or otherwise.

af micro nikkor 55mm 1:2.8
Great

af nikkor 24mm 1:2.8
I preferred Tamron's adaptall offering at the time

nikkor-s 1:1.4 50mm
Honestly preferred the 50mm f/2 that came later but if it's a good sample it's a legendary chunk of glass.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah that’s a nice enough haul because condition counts for a lot, even though nothing there is really special in terms of collectibility or trending as especially valuable. Each camera and lens would probably go for around $100-150 on eBay, but check out other listings and actual paid auction prices to get an idea.

But with old camera stuff there’s condition as it appears on a shelf, and actual condition. They can be very different. Shine a cellphone flashlight through the lenses to check for dust, haze and fungus. They should be pretty clear except for some individual and widely-spaced bits of dust.

Also check to see if the cameras actually work. Here’s a note about that: I bought an N80 off eBay last week to use with newer Nikon G lenses and at first it wouldn’t let me change any exposure settings or use the aperture DoF preview button without making GBS threads the bed and flashing “Err” every time I tried to do something, but it would fire the shutter every time anyway, so I just kept hammering on the shutter and DoF preview lever a few dozen times until everything finally unstuck itself and it works fine now.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Tentatively putting out feelers about finally upgrading from a D300 that has a bunch of dead pixels/controls that barely work, but I do have a decent amount of prime lenses ranging from AI'd to AF-S. I only read the last couple pages, but are used D800 or D7200s still the way to go?

I'd prefer FX, but if I can't find a decent deal I'd be happy with DX just to get back into the hobby.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'd say look at the D750 as well. It sold very well so the 2nd hand market is good for buyers.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah if I was using older lenses I’d go for a D750. They’re cheap now and getting up over 24MP is not really super beneficial.

Whatever you get, check the shutter count and look carefully for signs of condition. These things are well built, so even small scratches and dings can be signs of hard impact.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be on the lookout!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

What hypothetically would be the body to look towards when the time comes to upgrade from my D5600?
I mostly shoot birds with the F mount 150-600 Sigma

Psycho Turtles
Jul 2, 2007

Slotducks posted:

What hypothetically would be the body to look towards when the time comes to upgrade from my D5600?

If you want to stick with a DX DSLR then the D500 is the flagship. Upgrading to a mirrorless DX would be a Z50. Otherwise going all out would be a Z7 or Z7ii to allow for cropping.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Slotducks posted:

If your not planning on venturing outside of birding and you want to stick to DX then the D500 is your best bet. It's considered a pro wildlife camera and still very popular today as its focusing system still beats most of the mirrorless boys. As it's a little older the second hand market for it is very healthy too.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 6, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

That tracks, thanks guys.

I figure the D500 is going to retain value as I don't think Nikon is going to replace it for another couple years - a wildlife focused F mount dslr in 2022 or 2023? Nahhht likely.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Even if they did, would be much more than you can get a preowned D500 for.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

I was originally looking at picking up a D5600 but have recently inherited a D3100 instead. Figure it's a good enough starting point so i can build up a library of lenses and get more experience using a DSLR consistently. I am coming from a mirrorless panasonic lumix fz35 (superzoom) thats been in use for the last decade but I still consider myself a 'starter' in terms of skill.

looking at grabbing a prime lens to start with (in addition to the kit lens that came with the body). OP suggested the AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Lens; is this still a good option in 2021? The 50mm prime that I found is listed at 2x the price.

EDIT: My immediate needs are for baby pics, but generally do landscape, vehicles, and touristy stuff.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
A 50mm (which is a full frame lens) is a short telephoto on a apsc camera body, 75mm full frame equivalent. More of a portrait lens then the 35mm, which is ~52mm full frame equivalent, and a good general purpose lens.

I wouldn't buy full frame primes because of the price relative to your body (except maybe the 50mm). The 35mm dx is the only non macro/fisheye prime lens nikon sells specifically for apsc dslr cameras. I do recommend the 35mm dx, I had it as my only lens on my d5600 for a while and was happy with it.

As an upgrade to the kit lens you could also get a used sigma 17-55mm f2.8 for ~$200. There is also a big, heavy sigma 18-35mm f1.8 which is a good lens.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I want to use my D7000 to stream/record video to my PC. I've got a genki shadowcast which takes HDMI in as a camera link.

Plan is to use a dummy battery that takes usb-c as the power source, and connect it to my computer via hdmi out. Does this make sense? Anything I should be aware of?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I could be wrong but I think all the older Nikons have huge limitations for this kind of thing. The live hdmi output isn't full resolution and is just a reproduction of the back screen so is only 720p.

Nikon have released software to do all this for you, it supports the D7200 but not the D7000.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Z9 officially revealed.

https://twitter.com/NikonUSA/status/1445359890034221061

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Hopefully it's good, Nikon need a big success to catch up to Sony and Canon.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’ve got my preorder in, I just hope I get it this year.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Mega Comrade posted:

Hopefully it's good, Nikon need a big success to catch up to Sony and Canon.

Mildly hopeful. The second generation Z6 and Z7s turned out well in terms of IBIS and AF tech, but I don't like the ergonomics on any of the current Z bodies.
Hoping that the Z9 will feel at least as good in handling as the D850, and will have lighted buttons.

I alternate between D4S and Z6 II as daily shooters. The Z6 is great for low noise night photos and videos. D4 is an antique and its video is rubbish but I like its colors and it's more enjoyable to use than the Z6. Also it is compatible with my old screw drive lenses. I hope the rumored FTZ2 is launching with the Z9, then I can retire a lot of kit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So, I've been planning to buy a Nikon DSLR 3500, however:

My wife randomly found a camera I bought for her years and years ago - a Nikon COOLPIX L830 16 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 34x Zoom NIKKOR Lens and Full 1080p HD Video (Black).

Has anyone used this, and do you have any thoughts? Should I just use this for a while before spending a bunch on a DSLR?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no experience with it, but since you already have it you may as well try it? I don’t think I’d recommend anyone run it and pick one up off eBay but no reason not to mess around with it.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

powderific posted:

I have no experience with it, but since you already have it you may as well try it? I don’t think I’d recommend anyone run it and pick one up off eBay but no reason not to mess around with it.

I have owned (and sold) a P1000 which is a slightly more expensive version but built on the same idea.

The L830 is an okay full-auto camera for non-technical everyday photography. It's designed for and sold as ideal for kids soccer game. eBay goods. Family stuff. The zoom lens is pretty versatile and at its widest goes to the full-frame equivalent of ~22mm which is not super wide but on the wide zoom setting it's letting in a lot of light (f/3). Zoomed all the way in to the equivalent of ~730mm it's down to f/5.9 which combined with the low sensitivity small-sensor means you probably won't be using that except on bright sunny days. The limitations of the small sensor is mainly evident on pixel peeping. All cameras in that peer group have known problems with low sensitivity and sensor noise. The camera software compensates for that by filtering the raw image to reduce visible speckling. This results in a somewhat soft looking image in dark / limited-light scenes, but the camera does have a built-in flash. It only saves JPEGs and doesn't save raw images which limits creative post processing work a bit.

But like all cameras it can be used for whatever you want it to. In principle.

What do you want a camera for? Do you like the aesthetics of fine photography? Are you documenting activities, hobbies?

The one thing I consider the most limiting with these types of fully-automatic cameras is that unlike basic mirrorless and DSLR cameras there are no technical exposure modes where you can prioritize shutter speed over aperture or whatever. There's only programmed automatic exposure and a variety of "scene" modes which you'll have to guess at how they work. There's for example a "museum" mode and a "food" mode. What might be the difference between those two? The "fireworks" mode is probably dialing for long exposure, minus a few EV steps and bias for low ISO and but who really knows. Whatever you learn by using and relying on those scene modes won't intuitively translate into something that works similarly on a DSLR.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeast posted:

I’ve got my preorder in, I just hope I get it this year.

Good luck! It looks incredible!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Seeing people genuinely excited about a Nikon camera again gives me much more faith in the Z series future.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why the gently caress does Nikon official media have shutter noises, at an insanely slow fire rate lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Because a significant part of the market for a $6,000 camera body is rich idiots who will use it three times a year to take lovely pictures of their kids on green square mode, and those people don't want a camera that doesn't have a loud machine gun shutter to let to everyone know you have a $6,000 camera.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Because a significant part of the market for a $6,000 camera body is rich idiots who will use it three times a year to take lovely pictures of their kids on green square mode, and those people don't want a camera that doesn't have a loud machine gun shutter to let to everyone know you have a $6,000 camera.

You missed the point. The Z9 doesn't have a mechanical shutter at all. Those sounds have been added in for a camera that can't make those noises.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think my point stands.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Taking photos on a camera that doesn't make a sound can be disorienting. "Wait, did that take a picture? I better take another" followed by finding you actually took twenty near-identical photos...

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I find the audio feedback useful personally and I'm not buying the idea that it's only there for rich person clout on the kids soccer field. The vast majority of these are going to professional users. I'm sure the slow fire rate in that promo is just like... a choice whoever did the teaser made cause they thought it fit the piece better than machinegun burst stuff.

Overall I think it looks great and I'm excited for it. Makes me feel like Nikon's still got it for now!

edit: also, the video out of it is looking really good too. Might be enough to bring me back to Nikon after a brief foray into Panasonic with the S1H for my b-cam.

powderific fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 29, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJqHPHLExo

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Pablo Bluth posted:

Taking photos on a camera that doesn't make a sound can be disorienting. "Wait, did that take a picture? I better take another" followed by finding you actually took twenty near-identical photos...

In single frame mode the screen or EVF momentarily flashes black to signify that the picture was taken.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The existence of a visual cue doesn't necessarily obviate audio cues. The Z9 has some alternate options for indicated a shot being taken that look nice, but having the audible version is nice too.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Was it Ricoh that included the option for a cat meowing instead of the fake shutter noise?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

frumpykvetchbot posted:

In single frame mode the screen or EVF momentarily flashes black to signify that the picture was taken.

If you're shooting at a weird angle and not looking through the viewfinder, (eg top down) an audio indication can be helpful I've found.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yeast posted:

If you're shooting at a weird angle and not looking through the viewfinder, (eg top down) an audio indication can be helpful I've found.

Would be nice if you could upload your own audio clip. I'd go with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKk48HGMcI

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Fools Infinite posted:

Was it Ricoh that included the option for a cat meowing instead of the fake shutter noise?

I need this camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

It blacks out the EVF/screen to let you know it fired (and I think blanks a frame when shooting continuous). If they've really managed to make the readout fast enough to prevent banding I can't wait until that poo poo trickles down.