Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
My first SLR was my dad's black Nikon FE with the 50mm 1.4 AI-S lens. Served me well through high school and college photography classes, and the camera still meters and everything. I kind of wish newer cameras had the same kind of analog readouts that this one does in the viewfinder, needles and colored readouts are cool. I haven't shot film in about 10 years, but the absolutely pristine 50mm has found new life as my go-to lens for video.

After years in the Canon wilderness, I'm now a proud D600 owner.

So. When are they going to address the sensor dust issue? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

If nothing else, the old 28-80 3.5-5.6 AF-D is a shockingly good lens, for like a hundred bucks usually.

I have the 28-85 3.5-4.5, it's built like a tank and only cost me $35 from KEH. I don't know if the 28-80 is better optically, but the 28-85 just feels really hefty (in a good way). Oh and it does macro too!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for all the info! Seems like I'd be better off getting the body (which still comes with great discounts) and some glass from KEH.

I'm primarily video and we have several sets of Zeiss CP.2 at our disposal, but I'd like to have a decent 24-85 lens to carry around too.

I'm guessing since I'm doing video primarily I'd need one with vibration reduction?

I do mostly video, but I don't own a single VR lens. Use a tripod or some kind of rig.

You really don't even need VR for video on anything under 85mm (on full frame). That being said, having a few stops of VR on a kit lens can help overcome having a slow f/5.6 on the long end when taking photos.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Your best bet are the old AI-S lenses. There's a pretty decent throw on those so you won't have to worry about having a light touch with your follow focus. The 50 1.4 AI-S is one of the best kit lenses ever - I have one that came from 1978 or so from a Nikon FE kit and the lens is super sharp after f2 and looks very pleasant. Here's a video I shot primarily with that lens:

https://vimeo.com/51188739

I also love the more expensive but equally awesome 35 and 85 1.4 AI-S lenses. Get those three and then an ultra-wide zoom like the Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 and you're pretty much good to go for most shooting.

If you HAVE to get a modern lens you can get any AF-D lenses, those have an aperture ring (for the moment you'll have to have these over the G lenses, because until Nikon releases their firmware update the D600 can't change aperture while in LiveView or movie mode). But beware, these have a super short throw. My 35 f/2 goes from zero to infinity in about a 1/3 turn of the focus ring.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 22, 2012

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

There hasn't been a single firmware hack that has enabled higher framerates. That kind of thing is limited by the on-board processing hardware.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you really need 1080p60, consider the Sony A99. Same sensor as the D600, but it has a flip out LCD and in-camera stabilization.

That being said, the images that come out of the D600 seem to have a certain mojo. Nikon definitely prioritized dynamic range and the images just look better to me, but you might be happier with an A99.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Wait till you work those raw files - the dynamic range and sharpness just kill the 5D3.

They also kill your hard drive, goddamn.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah but the D800 can adjust aperture when recording, which the D600 can't. It's retarded.

Firmware update should fix this!

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/08/upcoming-firmware-updates-for-nikon-d600-and-d800.aspx/

Too bad it'll probably be months before we see it.

As for the 35mm 1.4 AI-S, it's true that it is not as sharp as any modern 35mm lens. Wide open, it is all sorts of hazy. However, once you get to f2 it cleans up really nice, by f4 it performs well. I used this lens primarily on a GH2 so I was kind of immune to how lovely the corners were wide open.

I really hate bagging this lens though, I had it for a long time and it's really not that bad unless you have to shoot it at 1.4. Eventually I did replace it with a 35 f/2 D - focus barrel sucks and it's a plastic piece of poo poo in comparison, but it just performs better (and now I have a decent 35mm lens for photos).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Well compared to the AI-S versions anyways. The AI-S lenses are built like tanks with a buttery smooth focus ring and a long focus throw. There's a lot of times I do miss the AI-S version because it's much easier to do a smooth pull on a follow focus.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you have lenses with an aperture ring, it generally outperforms the 5Dmk2 in every category. Higher dynamic range which translates to brighter images at similar ISO's in video mode, about 2/3 more stops of clean ISO, less moire and aliasing.

Currently there is a bug in the firmware that prevents you from changing the aperture electronically while in live view mode, so if you DON'T have any lenses with an aperture ring this could be a dealbreaker. The 5Dmk2 also has access to the Magic Lantern firmware which adds some additional functionality; however, I recently switched to Nikon and I really haven't missed the Magic Lantern functions at all.

Here's a video I did with the D600 and a GH2.

https://vimeo.com/51188739

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The space was in the middle of downtown San Diego there was a ton of ambient noise picked up in the original recording. I wanted to ADR the entire thing over but my friend didn't want to redo more than a couple of lines, so it is what it is.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ShadeofBlue posted:

Is this a bug? I thought it was a "feature" to differentiate the D600 from the D800.

There are bugs in both the D600 and D800 firmwares. Who knows when those fixes will come though. The D600 also has a charming little "bug" where it adds something like a 10 pixel black border around your HDMI output, making external recording a pain. Supposedly this will be addressed in the firmware fix.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is it actually the 35 AI-S or some other lens, like the AF-D? Modern lenses with an aperture ring will also have an electronically controlled aperture, so under default settings you would have to have the aperture stopped down to f22 (or whatever the smallest aperture is on that lens) to even begin to control the aperture.

There is a setting that disables this behavior and allows you to control the aperture via the aperture ring.

Also, make sure you are in manual mode and not aperture or shutter priority (or god forbid full auto).

Your flickering issue is weird, I've never had that issue.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I regularly use AI-S lenses without an issue, so there's probably a setting like exposure compensation that is adjusting whenever you change your aperture.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You can change the aperture on any D lenses in live view:

f6 Custom Settings Menu > Controls > Customize command dials > Aperture setting
When switching this to OFF, the aperture cannot be controlled with the sub-command dial, but with the aperture ring.

On ON it would show «fEE» when manually changing the aperture with the ring – except on non-CPU lenses which are configured in Setup Menu > Non-CPU lens data.

edit: I don't like controlling the aperture with the ring while I'm shooting stills, so what I ended up doing was doing a custom configuration saved to the U1/U2 dial so that it would default to standard picture styles and CPU control of the aperture, while M would give me mechanical control over the iris and a flat picture profile.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 7, 2012

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Cat photos. Where are they?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I actually don't run around with a matte box, funny enough. I usually just put flags on C-stands if I absolutely have to. I got to borrow my friend's Redrock shoulder rig which has the matte box and follow focus - it's a bit heavy overall but the parts are all super solid and well-manufactured. It's stupidly expensive though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Even in regards to the D600 over exposing compared to all the other cameras set at the same settings as seen here: http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2012/12/is-the-canon-6d-under-exposing/ ?

I mean I get that you can compensate for it, and it's the first time I've noticed it (even though my camera is relatively new and I've barely used it), but it seems a little weird when it's overexposing compared to all the other brands at the same settings. "Being able to compensate for it" doesn't seem to make it okay.

That's of course if it's just not me screwing something up, which it very well could be.

Are you shooting JPG or RAW? I think the standard curve in the JPG engine lifts the midtones a lot as a result of Nikon trying to squeeze all that dynamic range into an 8-bit codec. I've noticed this in video mode where, especially at lower ISO's, the image is way brighter than other bodies at the same settings would produce.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

True story, I actually have no idea how to use the matrix metering with any degree of accuracy. I just set it to spot meter and point the camera at varying spots in the frame where brightness differs and make sure that nothing's gonna be too blown out.

I really want to get a handheld meter.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I suppose I won't be able to wrangle that lens from B&H since I bought the camera right when it was released :sigh:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

If you want to do a macro (close up) lens that'd also be semi-decent for portraits, have a look at the Tamron 90mm f/2.8. It'd also cover at least a bit of 'long-distance' stuff (since while not hugely long, it's still a drat sight longer than an 18-55).

But yes do not get superzoom lenses (ie 18-200, 24-300, smallnumber-absurdnumber) because while some are less terrible than others they're all pretty halfassed optically (and generally pretty slow too).

...and to the best of my knowledge there does not exist a lens for Nikon mount that is both wider than 18mm and longer than 300mm.

Eh I dunno I'd probably take an 28-300 if it was like $200. The problem is that their superzooms are all ridiculously expensive and for the same price you can get a good lens.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dorkopotamis posted:

I think that one of the slide wheels that handle f-stop would be better suited to ISO, but who am I.

Hold down the ISO button and simultaneously slide one of those command dials (I forgot which one in particular). Those dials normally control your f-stop and shutter speed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Legitimate Pape posted:

If anybody has a Costco membership this is pretty drat good.

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D600-Full-Frame-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100012382.html

D600, 24-85, 70-300, wireless adapter, cheap bag, and a 32gb SD card all for under $2,400 before tax. I know it's better to support a local camera store, but drat if that isn't a good deal. It's available in store in my area too.

Goddammit why did I pre-order this when it was announced? :argh:

On a side note, I see that B&H has some chinese D600 grips - I took the plunge and ordered one, hopefully the finish and buttons have the same feel as the D600 proper.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

krooj posted:

Can't speak for the D600, but my D800 does give a visual indication of the reduced FOV in the finder. It's a black box, outlining the frame area when you attach a DX lens.

It's the same on the D600.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I would avoid getting the pre-AI lenses. AI lenses will meter on (I think) any body and that will at least save you a few seconds in getting to the right ballpark, exposure-wise.

And the pre-AI lenses are ugly fuckers too, so another point against them.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The crop bodies in general have tiny viewfinders, so yeah focus is a lot harder.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you're looking for an old lens that can macro, get the metal 28-85 3.5-4.5. This one: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2885af.htm

I got it for $35 on KEH in outstanding condition. You can switch it to macro mode at 28mm and it works pretty well, and at that price there's really no complaining to be had.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

In the meantime you can use the bundled ViewNX software to convert your raws to gigantic loving tiffs :shepface:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Why didn't you just pop the tiffs into Aperture?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't know about you guys but once I'm past 85mm or so there's no way I could handhold without doing 1/2xfocal length for shutter speed (assuming no IS of course).

Meanwhile I can handhold down to like 1/4 at 16mm.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

edit != quote

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

D600 has the same limitation. Fortunately I only use my manual focus/aperture glass when shooting video, but yeah it's pretty annoying.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The difference isn't very pronounced if we're just going off that chart. There's still a 1 stop drop in DR with every 1 stop increase in ISO past 1250. And depending on the application, I'd take the higher MP count of the D800 over the slight improvements of DR for the D4.

It's not like the Canon C-series video cameras where the DR remains at 12 stops throughout the entire ISO range.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

tbqh if I didn't need a FF stills camera I'd ditch the D600 immediately, but it really loving excels in that function and I can deal with the other issues.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

I want a 35 really bad. I'm used to daily-carrying a 50/1.8, and really don't feel like going up to a 1,5 pound lens. In addition I require modern features like auto aperture (!) and AF (!!!).

Any of you use a 35/2D on a modern FX camera?

As usual I forgot the crucial aspect of whatever I'm shitposting about.

Yup, its pretty sharp and light. I have a D600 so weight isn't as much of an issue, but it's still very easy to walk around with.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How does it compare to the Nikon 85 1.8? I've actually been quite pleased with the sharpness of that lens the one time I rented it (on full frame), but I would prefer having something with a manual aperture ring.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I'm sending mine off to Nikon this week. I've only noticed it in very rare cases (really white/cloudy sky shots at f8-f22), but it's enough to where I don't want to worry about it (and it's a LOT of oil). Plus I have 3 weeks of downtime and some new equipment coming in so I'm going to take advantage of the time.

Does Nikon cover sensor cleanings, and what kind of turnaround time are they quoting? Either way I'm tempted to pay to have a camera shop do it locally since they can do it in a day.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is there a way for you to upload the images without the exif being stripped? Not sure if this is something imgur-related or if whatever software you used to resize the image stripped it out, but having the exif intact will tell us pretty much everything we need to know about why it looks the way it does.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

There was no 1959 F mount 50m f/1.4 http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/50mmnikkor/index2.htm . You sure that isn't a 58mm or an f/2?

I have one of those 50 1.4's, they don't mount properly on anything except my FE film body. Not sure if it's a 1959 version or whatever but it is definitely a 50 1.4 and looks just like that 58mm lens.

edit: it'll also mount on a m43 system with the appropriate adapter.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

What's a good long lens that has similar visual characteristics to an AIS 50 1.4? I love the poo poo out of that lens for video work, even the weird purple CA visible when it's wide open, and generally I'll either pull back or use crop mode on my D600 in order to avoid changing lenses. So is there something in the 105-135mm range that has similar characteristics?