Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

What is a good remote for time lapse/long exposure stuffs for a D7000? (apologises if this has been asked already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

OK cool. I have done it in camera but it gets a bit wobbly/poo poo.

I also bought this D7000 2 weeks ago, just as the D7100 comes out! :downs:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

snuffles posted:

Nope, that's what the adapter part is for. You can also pony up an extra photobux and get one of these and skip the adapter.

That's wicked, exactly what I want! Cheers guys :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I'm looking to get a wide angle zoom lens, like the Nikon 12-24. But, it's really expensive...what are alternatives I can look at?

This is for a D7000.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

copen posted:

the 12-24mm Tokina f/4 can be had for 300 dollars on KEH, It is a good lens with some draw backs. If you want great IQ then the 11-16mm Tokina f/2.8 is great but the 16mm is kind of limiting and means you need to carry the kit lens or something as well to cover that range. It is also about 500. The sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 is also a good option that goes a lot wider and can be had for 325ish.

The new 12-28mm Tokina f/4 is better than the old and has a AF-S motor (or whatever Tokina calls it) but is 500ish used.

Ah great, thanks for that!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Just had to send my month old D600 to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned/replaced :mad:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So my D600 has dust on the sensor again, a month after I just got it cleaned and restored.

If this is going to continually happen, what should I do? Just buy a new camera altogether or turn it into a boat anchor? :(

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Spend 3 minutes cleaning it?

Who has 3 minutes in these busy modern times ?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Shrinking Universe posted:

By restored do you mean they swapped out the shutter unit? The service advisory for the D600 should allow for that if it is a recurring problem. I sent mine in for a cleaning for the first time and they just swapped out the shutter anyway, I guess figuring they would probably see it back in the shop before long. I haven't noticed any dust or oil spots since getting it cleaned/replaced.

This was Nikon Australia, ymmv.

Yes, cleaned sensor and swapped out shutter. I had it done in October, from Nikon Australia too.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've had it since August this year. :(

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Musket posted:

Dust happens.

Indeed.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I'm very close to turning my D600 into a boat anchor.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

My lady friend's D750's mirror just shat itself yesterday. Like, the mirror locks up when you take a photo. Only 3 months old too! Quality control, yeah

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

1st AD posted:

The D600 is very cheap and basically performs the same

Except for the dodgy unsealed oiled up shutter..

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

1st AD posted:

Nikon fixes it for free and it never becomes a problem again - I'm like 30k clicks post repair and it's good. Considering how cheap and good a D600 is, it's hard to pass it up for a D750 that costs a lot more.

Yeah mine has been fixed and works a treat. And I feel the same. The D750s are great, but my D600 is still working fine and doing what I want it to do! Maybe when the D760 or whatever comes out I'll upgrade.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

How's the low light focusing?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I love my Z6. I wanted something I could shoot video with (majority of my work), and wildlife/landscape/astrophotography - all things that it does really well. Coming from a GH5 has been night and day because I know that it will give me a nice clean image in dark places. I've been using the GH5 since 2017 and it really started to grate on me how poo poo the m4/3 sensor can be, plus I like the Nikon colours a lot better. The stabilisation (and 4k at 60p) is what I really miss from my GH5 though. But using the 2 for video shoots has worked out quite well for me.

Looking forward to the Z6s, which apparently has 4k at 60p, dual card slots, and better auto focus. Apparently it's a thing.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah I used it all today and it's miles ahead of my garbage laptop webcam. Using a nice f/2 lens on a Z6 makes it look decent. It's ok, I like it. It is what it is.

Just wish I could use the usb to power it, instead of having a battery in there.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Anybody found an issue with the webcam utility where it just forgets the camera? Instead it just shows Nikon Webcam Utility on the screen. Have to uninstall the driver, then re-install to get it to work. Not that bad of a hassle, but annoying.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Could anybody suggest a nice, lightweight telephoto? I'm looking to do some shooting from a kayak, so want to keep stuff relatively small and light. To be used with a Z6/Z50 or D600

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

OK cool, I'll take look at that one. Also eyeing off the Nikon Z 24-200... Not the fastest, but I just want something light and sharp.

Ken Rockwell likes it though!!! :downs:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

powderific posted:

I left Nikon for Panasonic (hopefully temporarily) and I’m sad about it.

I went the other way. I’ve had enough of the GH5’s noisey low light performance. My Z6 is good and nice.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

powderific posted:

Had a Z6 and went to S1H, which I'm guessing both have the same sensor. The Z6 stills were good and video fine, but really wanted the fatter bitrate, XLR jack pack, built in log, timecode, etc. from the S1h to make it a better b-cam / lightweight a-cam setup.

edit: D800 with cheap, used AF-D lenses was my switch from Canon to Nikon and I loved the setup.

Yeah nice. I was looking to move from the GH5 to the Panasonic full frames but the lack of lenses at the time really put me off it. Plus the price tag.

I have an atomos recorder with the Z6 and it has handled everything I've thrown at it. Not as compact as the GH5 for run and gun, but for everything else it has been great and dependable. I just love the colours from it.

I do miss the GH5's stabilisation though. :(

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeast posted:

I’ve got my preorder in, I just hope I get it this year.

Good luck! It looks incredible!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Question for Z9 folks...

I have an Atomos Ninja V attached as an output monitor, but whenever I switch to 50/60p or 100/120p it doesn't display the screen. I'm using N-Log H265 10bit to record video. If I change it to H265 MOV at 8bit with the Flat profile it displays the screen. However, I can use 25p in N-Log and it works just fine.

I'm using an Atomos HDMI cable as well. What's the deal?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Did you figure this out yet?

I have the Ninja V as outboard monitor for video and it works fine for me. Record to card internally at 4K N-Log H265 10-bit, in 50 or 100fps depending.

I set the HDMI output to 1080p, output range "Auto", output shooting info "Off". Works fine.
The Ninja blanks out if I set HDMI output resolution to 4K (2160p).

I had a Z6 II with Prores RAW via HDMI enabled. (Sold it after I got the Z9) I could record 4K ProRes Raw 422 on the Ninja with that setup. But my understanding, which may be incorrect, is that the Ninja only can ingest plain 444 HDMI in 1080p, possibly 2160p30.

I just did!

The issue was I had the HDMI output set to 2160p instead of 1080p. Now it's all good, a perfect combination!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Anyone preordering a Z8 before it’s officially revealed?

Anyone even shoot Nikon anymore? I never see one out in the wild and when I do it’s still a DSLR.

Thinking about it. I love my Z9 - I use it for video work and personal things - but it’s pretty hefty.

Just want a diet Z9, which is what the 8 is :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

It’s really hard to tell who is full of poo poo on YouTube about Nikon and not.
Some are saying the AF on Z9/Z8 are excellent and on par with Canon/Sony and others say it’s poo poo or a generation behind.

Coming from a Panasonic S5 which struggled in any and all situations, such as even finding birds in flight to begin with, the Z9 has been phenomenal. It does struggle with small birds in thick foliage though.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

The big day is here and right now BH is showing the Z8 unavailable until mid June while Amazon is saying July 12.

Jesus..

I just received mine in Australia. Nice size, feels good. An annoying thing is that I couldn’t copy all my settings directly from the Z9 on an SD card, had to go through each menu on the Z9 and sort it on the Z8. That’s my only complaint so far.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

Any other initial thoughts? I pre-ordered one through B&H but a week before release so if I'm lucky I'll be in the second wave of shipments.

Apparently people who bought directly from Nikon are having orders cancelled. Z8s are also showing up on E-bay for $5,000+

I haven’t really used it a lot so far, just a few shots here and there. Battery life is .. average on the older A and B batteries. On the C version (I can’t remember the battery names sorry) it was pretty good, flipping between photo, video and menu sorting.

I did a quick video test in my backyard with N-Log and used the Z8 LUT from Nikon in Premiere, but all the colours were really out of whack - fluro over vibranced colours. Very strange but I could pull it back to normal easily, but it did make me WTF at how very off it was. Going to do some macro shooting today, so will see how that goes with the battery life.

So far only concerns are the battery and the weird colours with the Nikon LUTs in premiere. Other than that, so far so good.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Z8 owning +3 days on. Battery life on the EN-EL15c batteries is really great. I was shooting photos most of the day and it didn't buckle that bad. Switching to video chewed through it, but for photos its fine. Started at 9am, had to change to an older EN-EL15b by around 2pm. Obviously not a Z9 all day long/all night strong battery, but it's decent.

Also, the Z8 doesn't like third party batteries, which is annoying. The Nikon branded EN-EL15c batteries are pretty cheap anyway so can't hurt to grab a couple more.

Overall, it's very good. And I like it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’m frugal and save money :shrug:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I really love that 24-70 f/4. It's very sharp! Also, :homebrew:!

Nikon also just released v4 firmware for the Z9. Some cool additions, I really like the lower ISO for N-Log.. and the new shutter sound options. No kitty cat meowing shutters though :(

https://nikonrumors.com/2023/06/12/major-nikon-z9-firmware-update-version-4-00-released.aspx/

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

Recall for some Z8s because of a "rare" scenario where a lens cannot be locked into place during mounting:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/technical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-8-cameras.html

Mine's on the poo poo list, welp :marc:

Me too :(

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nice firmware update to the Z9. Adds bird and airplane subject detection:

https://nikonrumors.com/2023/10/04/nikon-z9-firmware-update-version-4-10-released.aspx/

Tried it out earlier this morning with the 180-600. Seamless and sticky. Did lose it a bit when the bird's head went behind some thin long grass, but other than that, it's even better.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

huhu posted:

Just a note - I'm not sure how widespread it is but some lenses just don't work on FTZ with autofocus. I learned the hard way with the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3. Talked to 3 different people who told me 3 different thngs before I realized it was actually impossible to get it to autofocus with the FTZ.

I have an old rokinon/samyang 14mm f mount and it shits itself constantly. Using the ftz ii adapter on a Z8/Z9 it works maybe 70% of the time. Other times it locks up and needs to be off/onned again. I found this out shooting some recent night sky timelapses. :thumbsup:

Not sure if the old rokinon lenses work that great on Z mount either. Apparently that Viltrox 16mm is coming out in January, which should be great.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Happy days :)

I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully the bird tracking is as good as the Z9's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Excited for that eventual Nikon cinema camera