Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I rate the OP an F65 out of FM2n.

For the FM2, I suggest you go with a nice pancake, like the 45mm f/2.8 GN. Small, light, no batteries needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Radbot posted:

I have an F4s and it could quite literally be used as a lethal weapon, it's ridiculous. I think the best Nikon film camera is the F100 - durable, weather sealed, pro feel, lots of gadgets (including metering with manual focus lenses, I believe), and it's cheap. The FM2 is sexy as hell, but I just don't buy that it's that much more reliable than an F100 with an extra set of batteries.

The F100 is certainly more capable and versatile, accepts more lenses, has better metering and supports autofocus. Probably the best film camera Nikon has made compared to the price. And the F100 is like 95% of the F5 for a fraction of the cost and weight.

The FM2 has been the back-up pro body for very specific uses. Or if you can't find the 8 AA batteries (lol) for the F5.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Not everyone is cut for a fast normal!!

True, the group of people known as "not a photographer".

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

nielsm posted:

It doesn't actually.
The focal length affects how far you put the camera from the subject, and the distance from the camera to subject affects perspective.

So it does, excep it doesn't, except it kind of does. That cleared things up splendidly.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Platystemon posted:

You have a 271 mm f/2.8 lens? :confused:

Or is it a 180 mm f/2.8 and you’re including the crop factor?

Stop faster than the Tamron 200-400mm, I'd wager.

e: I found the 17-55/2.8 for 500€ used, and it's so hugely worth it. Pretty banged up, but great value for the price.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 26, 2013

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Looking for a good portrait lens for my D600. Right now I have the 24-85/3.5-4.5 and the 70-300/4.5-5.6, so neither's ideal. I'm looking for something along the lines of the 85/1.8, but I'm really not up on what's out there either from other manufacturers or on the no-longer-produced-but-can-get-from-keh market. Does anyone have any recommendations in that regard? I'm sort of intrigued by the Rokinon 85/1.4 aspherical, even if it's all manual. Anyone using this lens?

Whoa there, no one's recommended the manual focus 105mm f/2.5? Small, fairly light, tack sharp, cheap.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Errant911 posted:

Thanks everyone for the really great suggestions so far. I may be getting a little ambitious with the ~100 micron resolution, and if I can't realistically get down that low with standard photography equipment, I could live with that. Honestly, the results I've gotten so far are better than I expected. When I was first taking test videos with the above rental equipment, I expected it to be an issue of not enough light rather than too much. In fact, it still may be an issue as I push the fps above what that test snapshot was taken at, 2000 or 3000 fps IIRC. I'd really like to freeze the image of the particles lifting off the surface. I may need to push up to 5000-10000 fps, but 2000 is the limit where the camera can still record at its max resolution, 1024x1024. I'm going to start reading up on some of the advantages/disadvantages of using teleconverters vs. macro bellows, and try to start picking out parts. I'm just crazy swamped and preparing for a big out of state interview early next week.

No one's picked up on the fact that you want to shoot little green dudes? Do you work for Area 51?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Adorama has a refurbished Nikon D7000 (body only) on Ebay for $599.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D7000...fepn=5337259887

I'm thinking about making the jump from my 5 year old P&S to this. Anyone here able to tell me its a good buy for an entry level hobbyist?

It's one of the best consumer cameras by Nikon, value-wise.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Why does the OP actually have any text? It should be just catte pictures, posing with their Nikons.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well I ordered a refurbished 18-55 for $84 and a 55-200 for $107, more than I had planned but at least now I am set for a loooong time. Maybe I can take the 55-200 and go moose 'hunting'.

For future reference, you can also visit the Finnish sites Digicamera, Kameralaukku and Kameratori for used camera gear. Also handy if you want to sell stuff.

e: (Buy my D7000)

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

thetzar posted:

The 105 ƒ1.8, monster that it is, looks great on paper, but seems to love a lot of sharpness and contrast when shooting wide open.

Anyone got any experience, thoughts, or examples to share?

If you're willing to go manual, buy the 105/2.5 AI-s. Classic portrait lens, sharp as hell, great build quality, cheaper and lighter than the 105/1.8. I didn't really dislike the 105/1.8, but it was way big, and I usually kept it around f/4.

e: Seriously.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 20, 2013

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

Somewhat related, 7+fps DSLRs (one of the D2 models had a "crop .75x and get 11fps" option -- great for baseball -- and soon we'll just be shooting video all the time and pulling stills from it, if print media are still around*) have kinda killed the whole "decisive moment" thing. Just hammer away and pick the moment later.

*it's possible now -- 1080p is near enough to the original D1's resolution.

Enjoy going through your sports footage that's been shot with 1/50 shutter. Won't take long at all.

e: 50/1.2 or :getout:

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 21, 2013

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Photoshopped picture

They really hosed up not having the red details. That looks sexy as gently caress.

e: People who have money and fond memories of old Nikon.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 4, 2013

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The sensor's even better than the D4.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The Tamron is still relatively small and light, so I wouldn't worry. With the 70-200 workhorses it might make a difference.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

What is the use of a largish aperture capability on a landscape lens that you'll be shooting with at f/16 or more? Or do people use a 20mm for things where they'll get bokeh?

Why exactly is the new 20mm a landscape lens? Why is f/1.8 used solely for bokeh?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

TequilaJesus posted:

Speaking of how great the D7000 is, I'm looking to get a 24-70 (or approximate range) for it. Any recommendations for a mid-range zoom for a Nikon crop-body?

If you can find a cheap used Nikon 17-55, it's even better than the Tamron. I paid about 300€ for my Tamron, later got the 17-55 for 550€. Totally worth it. Great workhorse.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

powderific posted:

I doubt there's going to be anything interested happening in the APS-C DSLR world in the next few months (or maybe ever?)

Seems very unlikely we'll get another F mount APS-C body ever, unless Nikon are going to release one more budget D3XXX. The upside is that there's a whole bunch of used F mount bodies and lenses on the market that are still extremely capable.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

therattle posted:

I think on a full frame that’s too short a focal range. I looked at the 24-70/4 but it is quite pricy, and looks really heavy. The 16-50 with equivalent FR is much better value, albeit a bit slower, and MUCH lighter.

The 24-70/4 Z has been bundled so much it's now under 400€ used, and that's great value. It's not exactly small, not too light, and having to extend the lens before you start shooting can be annoying.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

Anyone preordering a Z8 before it’s officially revealed?

Anyone even shoot Nikon anymore? I never see one out in the wild and when I do it’s still a DSLR.

Nowadays I do most of my video stuff on Fuji, and stills stuff on Nikon Z, but I might have to commit to just one some day.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
If you want to go crop sensor, and not sure why you would, go for Fuji. Good lens and body selection from enthusiast to pro level stuff.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

therattle posted:

I went from Nikon DSLR to Fuji and then back to Nikon (Z) because I found the Fuji interface so complicated and unintuitive.

The old timey physical controls for shutter and aperture, or the menu system?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

therattle posted:

Menu system and other controls. Physical controls were good.

Fair enough, I don't think the Fuji menu system is particularly great.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
But dpreview is still posting announcements and even reviews, what's up with that.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

FBS posted:

I want to spend a few hundred bucks on a "normal" lens for the D500 so I can try more subjects that aren't small and far away.

Been looking at the 17-55mm 2.8 and 16-80mm 2.8-4 VR DX zooms, is it dumb to spend that much on crop format lenses? The only half-decent lenses I have so far are the 35mm f/1.8 DX and a Tamron 150-600 G2.

You should be able to find the 17-55 pretty cheap used, but it's definitely starting to show its age.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I reckon the Z6 III would move to a more expensive price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Nikon wants to make the official announcement itself some time in the future. Might still take a while, and I reckon they'll still do parts for a while after that.