Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I love seeing all the bubbles for people who didn't spend time with Nanako at every opportunity. Soulless monsters, the lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Schubalts posted:

I love seeing all the bubbles for people who didn't spend time with Nanako at every opportunity. Soulless monsters, the lot of them.

I don't blame them for not wanting to spend time with the main antagonist of the game:ssh:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Schubalts posted:

Nanako is the best and I want to be her dad in real life.

edit: I really hate that I looked at that spoiler in the post above me.

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 23, 2012

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Necroneocon posted:

Nanako is the best and I want to be her dad in real life.

edit: I really hate that I looked at that spoiler in the post above me.

There's no way you'd be a worse father than Dojima...

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

quote:

tl;dr: I'm glad they're finally cutting out the middleman in regards to fusion.

I'm not sure were on the same page, here. I'm saying I'm not sure you were ever actually supposed to sit there forever until you get everything you want. I always kinda assumed that the whole idea was you'd have guys with only 1-2 good moves so you actually, ya know, had a reason to switch personas or rely on your teamates for anything besides heals and grunt support?

I mean, I'm sure you can also grind to level 99 in the first dungeon if you really wanted, but the game obviously doesn't actually want you doing that.

quote:

If you think it's too easy, play on one of the harder difficulties.
All this does is make the enemies have more health and do more damage. It doesn't actually make things interesting or challenging. It just makes my complaint of "about 30 hours of this game is a now complete waste of time" worse because now it's about 40 hours.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
As another dude who played the original version, I can say that this game is still challenging even after the changes. Also, if you think we weren't supposed to stand at the screen constantly refreshing the fusion, then you've never done Margret's requests.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I broke down and bought a Vita today for this. I've only dicked around with the system itself and the TV listings but goddamn, I'm already impressed as hell with the port. It looks fantastic and I had no idea the Vita screen looked so good.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

darealkooky posted:

All this does is make the enemies have more health and do more damage.

It's an RPG. Numbers are a pretty important part of it. It's not like an action game where it doesn't matter if the boss can do twice as much damage since you can just dodge all his attacks.

Since harder difficulties don't change the amount of EXP you get, the strength of the player remains roughly constant. As such, enemies becoming stronger means that the player is weaker in practice.

Winning a fight from a weaker position is more difficult.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Amazon is doing a PSP bundle for 180$ right now. Comes with rear end Creed, but whatever. Time to pretend to a Japanese high schooler again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If people weren't supposed to retry constantly to get a good skillset, then Atlus should have made only one skillset possible for all fusions (I think Strange Journey did this). Like it or not, the random element exists to entice long re-tries and it is what people did. To me, it is therefore indeed "fake difficulty" and should have been replaced. Hopefully this is a permanent change, and if people think this will make things too easy aren't considering how easy it would be to nerf it. Just make certain skills nontransferable or do any number of things in the battles to make it harder. At least the latter would be "real" difficulty.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

quote:

Also, if you think we weren't supposed to stand at the screen constantly refreshing the fusion, then you've never done Margret's requests.

I'll admit I've never done all of these, but the early ones seemed to be "oh, this guy has starts with move X and fuses with y to make persona Z I need, neat" stuff. I guess that's a bit of a moot point, though.

quote:

Winning a fight from a weaker position is more difficult.
True, but the way this game handles it is pretty poor. In this game a "weaker position" just means "you have to use the better healing spell to keep everyone at the threshold where they wont die instead of getting away with a weaker one that puts them at 50% hp instead of 75% but that's okay because your healer has enough juice to run through the entire dungeon" and having to hit them longer (and maybe cast a buff of defend a move)

It's just a mindless dps race (that only applies to boss fights anyway because all normal fights are knocked down in a single turn and killed or are incredibly weak to ailments/kill spells). When you add in stuff like rise being able to bail you out, the incredibly awesome moves everyone can now learn and getting other players to help you it just makes the fighting an inevitability that you'll win eventually. Now sure you can make the point of how you'll probably use more resources because it took longer, but that really only applies for the first little bit of the game when fox either doesn't exist or gouges the gently caress out of you (and even then I found things really manageable). Now don't get me wrong, I don't want this game to be the dark souls of jrpgs or anything, but I'd prefer if half the game wasn't sitting there hitting x with no real consequence/thought over and over, you know? It just kinda feels like I'm wasting time until the next cutscene, which kinda goes against the balance the original game had between the story and the gameplay.

Nocturne (an rpg made by the same company almost a decade ago) is a good example of what I'm talking about. It has gameplay that really does have you fighting from a weaker position and really forces you to use strategy and planning. It has a real tension, pacing and just a general "oh poo poo not another fight I'm right outside the save point" element to it that I feel this game could really benefit from. I'd be nice if the enemies were more then just exp/money pinatas I hit with sticks for a couple minutes before they burst, you know?

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 23, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

darealkooky posted:

I'll admit I've never done all of these, but the early ones seemed to be "oh, this guy has starts with move X and fuses with y to make persona Z I need, neat" stuff. I guess that's a bit of a moot point, though.

True, but the way this game handles it is pretty poor. In this game a "weaker position" just means "you have to use the better healing spell to keep everyone at the threshold where they wont die instead of getting away with a weaker one that puts them at 50% hp instead of 75% but that's okay because your healer has enough juice to run through the entire dungeon" and having to hit them longer (and maybe cast a buff of defend a move)

It's just a mindless dps race (that only applies to boss fights anyway because all normal fights are knocked down in a single turn and killed or are incredibly weak to ailments/kill spells). When you add in stuff like rise being able to bail you out, the incredibly awesome moves everyone can now learn and getting other players to help you it just makes the fighting an inevitability that you'll win eventually. Now sure you can make the point of how you'll probably use more resources because it took longer, but that really only applies for the first little bit of the game when fox either doesn't exist or gouges the gently caress out of you (and even then I found things really manageable). Now don't get me wrong, I don't want this game to be the dark souls of jrpgs or anything, but I'd prefer if half the game wasn't sitting there hitting x with no real consequence/thought over and over, you know? It just kinda feels like I'm wasting time until the next cutscene, which kinda goes against the balance the original game had between the story and the gameplay.

Nocturne (an rpg made by the same company almost a decade ago) is a good example of what I'm talking about. It has gameplay that really does have you fighting from a weaker position and really forces you to use strategy and planning. It has a real tension, pacing and just a general "oh poo poo not another fight I'm right outside the save point" element to it that I feel this game could really benefit from. I'd be nice if the enemies were more then just exp/money pinatas I hit with sticks for a couple minutes before they burst, you know?

How far are you into the game? I can assure you that later boss fights in this game rival any of the complicated matches you had to face in other SMT titles (and if you really want a load of bullshit, high-strat requiring bosses, play Persona 3 Portable on Hard or higher, that game was more notable for them.

Random encounters are meant to be eliminated quickly, due to you taking advantage of their weaknesses--this keeps battles short and to the point, but it's a double-edged sword. Bear in mind, for every encounter YOU wipe out in a few seconds with the right skill, the exact same thing can--and will--happen to you. Later random mobs will straight up sucker punch you, and others can turtle against your attacks and unleash their own power moves to wreck your poo poo. Be grateful your foes are easy now, for they will fester into more potent bile further down the line.

In general, Persona 4 wasn't ALL that difficult anyway, so what exactly were you expecting? The SMT franchise has generally grown more accessible since the halcyon days of Nocturne--and Persona doesn't really want to fit the same mold anyway. If you want a true old-school SMT experience, go play Strange Journey. Persona 4 is its own cup of tea.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

darealkooky posted:

but I'd prefer if half the game wasn't sitting there hitting x with no real consequence/thought over and over, you know?

Then play it on harder difficulties

You haven't actually played the game, have you?

Even on Normal mode this game is already harder then the original Persona 4. The random enemies are tougher, even in the very first dungeon there are shadows without weaknesses that can put the hurt on you, and each the bosses are harder, and they're changed so what worked in the original won't work now.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 23, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Maybe I'm just getting a lot of lucky dice rolls, I'm more just kinda rambling and talking about my experience with it so far and less I WISH MORE OF MY BONES WERE BROKEN :rant:

quote:

Then play it on harder difficulties
I am, as I mentioned in my giant wall of text all it's really been changing is making the fights take longer.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 23, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Man, gently caress Pokemon having TMs be infinite use now. Sucks all the strategy out of the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap they made a little Mother's Day Nanako event.

Nanako, the most :smith: Persona character.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

darealkooky posted:

If you know what you're doing Nocturne is just as easy as Persona 4. Fuse Life Drain on a healer and suddenly resources don't matter so much anymore. Nocturne's difficulty is more bullshit though. Oh whoops your MC got petrified, Try Again!

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I always liked doing NG+ since, if you were at all diligent before, you can knock out the Margaret social link in like a day.

Digital_Dogu
Apr 23, 2008

Terper posted:

Man, gently caress Pokemon having TMs be infinite use now. Sucks all the strategy out of the game.

This. Precisely this.

After playing through 6 or so SMT games thus far and having to cope with the same bullshit RNG in regards to fusion throughout said games, it just started getting really old to the point where I would just rather avoid fusing altogether because it is just such an unnecessary time sink of a chore to do which is practically MANDATORY by the way.

For the record: One of the main reasons why I want to play this port is because I can finally do away with this nonsense, and actually spend my time playing and enjoying the game instead of wasting it on doing randomized, menu-based crap.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I forgot how many Link options require Courage, geez. :negative:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Schubalts posted:

I forgot how many Link options require Courage, geez. :negative:

Talking to girls is legit scary man. Nothing like fighting demon gods.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Nocturne was just as much about creating overpowered demons as any other game. I can understand how it'd be a lot harder if you did the Never Reroll Fusions Challenge but that's hardly the standard way to play. I don't know how you'd get the TDE doing that.

It's all a moot point, though, since you can crank P4G to Very Hard and always pick abilities at random if that's your thing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Man, Yukiko's S.Link advances really fast. I don't even have a Priestess persona (I wanted to wait until the link ranks up a few levels, gotta get that bonus EXP :spergin:), but it has ranked up every time I've spent time with her anyway. It's at Rank 5 now, so maybe I'll finally fuse that Sarasvati after this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You probably weren't SUPPOSED to sit there resetting until you got what you wanted, but people did anyway. Anyone for who picking skills breaks the game for (guys who know gamebreaking combos or the best possible skill combinations or have memorized the fusion mechanics) are the types of guys who ALREADY basically had this mechanic, they just reset constantly until they got what they wanted. The average player will not be able to take advantage of this mechanic at all, they'll just make sure they have a healing Persona and a persona of every element. Maybe a buffing Persona if they're really pro. Which, again, is something they could already make sure of, they're just less likely to accidentally ruin their persona list.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Since harder difficulties don't change the amount of EXP you get

Actually very hard does this and it suuuucks. I got most of the way through Yukiko's dungeon before I said gently caress it and started over. I got to the point where I was using a Goho-M every floor to save because literally every other random encounter was killing me. So it's either a total slog because your MC is getting 1-shotted constantly, or it's a total slog because you're grinding so you aren't getting 1-shotted constantly.

It probably gets better if you stick it out a little longer but I don't have the patience.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Saint Freak posted:

I'll traipse around a dungeon for hours on end for you, armed with just a golf club, slaying monsters and getting the poo poo kicked out of me by tables and dancing hands and floating whale things, but there's no way in hell I'm straight-up asking for your number.

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 24, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Saint Freak posted:

This analysis doesn't help me what's girl's weakness what do I do DO I CAST BUFU I'LL DO IT I'LL CAST BUFU

BUFUUUUUU

oh poo poo she's dead oh god oh poo poo

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The drama Sun link is still more than a little creepy. Why yes, of course a girl you've met twice will appreciate it if you decide to go see if she actually goes to the hospital when she has a family emergency, and especially if you listen in on her private conversations with her mother. I'm sure this would work great in real life!

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

The drama Sun link is still more than a little creepy. Why yes, of course a girl you've met twice will appreciate it if you decide to go see if she actually goes to the hospital when she has a family emergency, and especially if you listen in on her private conversations with her mother. I'm sure this would work great in real life!

Better than the band at least.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Indeed, that's why I picked it.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Better than the band at least.

Having done both of them, I can honestly say that they are both pretty awful. I am not even sure what the writer's intent behind the two S-links was--both come across as a bit creepy and the band one especially just goes absolutely nowhere.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

There was an episode of the anime that's basically what the protagonist's random social link grinding activities look like from everyone else's perspective and it's about as ridiculous as you'd think it would be.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

RentCavalier posted:

Having done both of them, I can honestly say that they are both pretty awful. I am not even sure what the writer's intent behind the two S-links was--both come across as a bit creepy and the band one especially just goes absolutely nowhere.

They both suck but drama is undeniably better than that... thing in the band. Basketball/soccer are both good school links at least.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Is this Witch Detective book a Twilight callout or something? Girl moving to a new school, "Vampires are involved.", "...The content of this book was almost physically painful for you to read."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I join the drama club for the initial SLink and then abandon them in favor of more important things, like reading about vampires, eating, folding paper cranes--you know, important stuff.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

2008... the Twilight phenomenon was in full swing. Kristen Stewart was enchanting in her breakout role.

What do you think, Zach?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Sarkozymandias posted:

2008... the Twilight phenomenon was in full swing. Kristen Stewart was enchanting in her breakout role.

What do you think, Zach?

I agree, they totally should hire sweary to create the S-links in persona 5.

[e] Also the worst social link is the tutor one. I don't wanna hang around with a smug nerd kid.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 24, 2012

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also since I'm sure "I want this game but I don't want a Vita" is gonna pop up in this thread a lot here are some Vita Facts:
  • You can get a Vita bundled with Assassin's creed+memory card for $200 in a lot of places now. Previously it was $250+Games+Memory card. Keep an eye on deals in your region these holidays.

• If you have Playstation Plus you get Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout and some other stuff for free. If you have PS+ on the PS3 you automatically get all this if you bought a Vita, if you don't it's $50 a year. It's $120 worth of games, it'll keep you busy for a while.

• It's better at playing PSP games than the PSP was, the screen is bigger but keeps the aspect ratio and it looks great. You can get PSP versions of Persona 1, 2, and 3 (I think it's currently only $10) on the PSN and play them on a Vita. A lot of people completely skipped the PSP and there's some good stuff that is now pretty cheap on there.

• As of the latest firmware it's great for playing PS1 games too, I bought FF9 on the PS3 and never got around to playing it so I transferred it to the Vita and beat it there.

• On top of the PSP/PS1 library it's actually seen a lot of releases this past couple of months, there's a nice library of games on there although there are a lot of ports of console games.

• NOBODY ELSE HAS PERSONA 4

Worth mentioning that today for Black Friday, Amazon's got that white (Wi-Fi only) Assassin's Creed Vita bundle package up for a pretty insane $179.99. At that price, I couldn't resist -- might as well be free. Anyone who is thinking about jumping in, today looks like the day.

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax
Finally a game that let's me roleplay hitting a tiger in the face with a desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I have this and a PS Vita on the way via Amazon. A couple quick questions, though.

How is the difficulty? I played the original on normal the first time through and found it refreshingly difficult without being total bullshit. I've read a couple people that say it's harder on normal than last time? Although my OCD ways (need to get enough of all the drops for the metalwaorks to make all the items) probably made 4 a bit easier than it would have been otherwise.

On that note, are the drops any less infuriating? I nearly gave up trying to get all the poo poo I needed on several occasions. Just getting some of them to even show up was really hard (gently caress YOU RAIN WHEELS), and then some of those that rarely showed up also had a pitiful chance of dropping poo poo. But like I said, I need _everything_ when I play a game like this, so I guess I'll be trudging through no matter what.

And is the new character not terrible? Her artwork doesn't really fit this game (it'd look more at home in Catherine or something) and it kinda makes me really weary of her.

• Locked thread